Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Crown player vs. Subscription question

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 03, 2010
I was just wondering if someone could tell me what exactly the difference is in game, going from a Crown purchaser, to a paying monthly subscriber? I mean, you obviously dont get free crowns if you pay monthly, so what exactly do you get that is different from just a person who spends alot of money buying Crowns only?

Explorer
Jul 08, 2010
If you are referring to a person who buys crowns to unlock areas as opposed to a subscriber, there are 2 main differences I can think of off the top of my head:

1: Crowns players when they unlock an area, it is open forever on all characters on that specific login. A subscriber would lose all areas sans the very basic areas in WC if they ever lost premium.

2: Crowns players can only use text chat and menu chat. From what I have seen you cannot use open chat.

Also on the paying a lot of money, 60K crowns will pretty much unlock every area, which is about 8 months subscription at regular price. You also dont get free crowns if you buy them either, hence the buying part.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
The three main things that subscription players get that Crowns (access by Crowns) players don't are:

1) Free access to ranked PvP: Access/Crowns players have to pay for this. This is probably the main reason to be a subscriber vs a Crowns player.

2) Open chat.

3) Free access to new areas (i.e. Celestia) as they come out.

Other advantages for subscribers are: the ability to post on these forums, access to the Test Realm, and receiving certain promotional offers.

Defender
Aug 11, 2009
Cortana99 wrote:
I was just wondering if someone could tell me what exactly the difference is in game, going from a Crown purchaser, to a paying monthly subscriber? I mean, you obviously dont get free crowns if you pay monthly, so what exactly do you get that is different from just a person who spends alot of money buying Crowns only?

Colagada and rubyb23 have covered the differences. I would like to add that Pet Derby is also available to the subscriber.

My opinion:

Currently I have one ongoing subscription (year) and my other account has been switched from the yearly subscription to crowns. I also have other accounts that have crowns (total of ten accounts) and most of them are linked, so that I am able to share crowns.

The cost for the entire game at this time in crowns is 68,640 (pre-Celestia - the cost was 58,470). With the sale of 60,000 crowns for $60, I am able to buy access to most of the game forever on that account.

My reasoning for switching to crowns is the cost of the product over a period of time and the benefits that come with the cost. Since I no longer play PvP and I do not use the Pet Derby and I find that “open chat” (for me) is not necessary to communicate with others (and at times this is a blessing so I don’t see all the things that others have written), the move to crowns appears to be right. Rather than be faced with a yearly charge of $60 (sale price) I have the cost of the crowns to gain the access to the game that I need. With the purchase of 60,000 crowns for $60, I just have the difference of 8,640 crowns which has been partially met through inviting friends to the game (1,250 crowns if your friend buys $10 worth of crowns, plus the friend will also get 1,250 crowns for making the purchase).

Again, this is just my opinion.

You will need to weigh the cost to yourself and the benefits that you desire in order to make this decision. Check the prices of the various subscriptions. I think that the best price for subscription is yearly when it is at $60.

The following pages may help you.

There was a page that showed the difference between Subscription / Crowns but it has been replaced by this page which only shows the cost for the game in crowns.
https://www.wizard101.com/game/areapricing

Here are some other pages that you may wish to view in order to see what others have been stating:

Subject: Crowns vs. Subscription - Opinions Please
https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/26322.ftl#142160

Subject: Subscription is not the best?
https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/7750.ftl#38616

Subject: Subscription vs Crowns
https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/15553.ftl#78838

Subject: Concern @ Crown Play vs Subscription
https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/9290.ftl#46134

Hope this is helpful

Have fun!!! :) :) :)

Defender
Aug 11, 2009
Something else to consider:

How much time do you have for playing the game?

Are you a die-hard fan of the game and will play during every free moment that you have? (This must be an exaggeration. For no one would do this. ) If so, then you could finish the entire game with all six wizards leveled out in one year or less. Then a year subscription would be the way to go.

If you have limited time to play the game (just a few hours a week), then paying for the areas with crowns might be something to consider. You can take your time and play the game whenever you want. You can even stop playing the game for a length of time without suffering from reoccurring charges of a subscription.

Of course it is only through a subscription that you are able to post in this forum. If you want to do more than just read the topics, you'll need to consider that as well.

[Sorry, but I have been up all night playing the game. Old habit of having a yearly subscription is hard to break.]

Have fun!!! :) :) :)