Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Remove Wild Bolt and Give Storm a DoT

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 05, 2010
I've seen and taken part in the debate about KI's recent change to Wild Bolt. Many of us have spoken up and most agree the change is less than satisfactory. I'll admit that Wild Bolt in its original form was becoming overpowered with the release of Celestia. So Bolt is not going to go back to what it was. But now its not very useful.
In the Arena, from what I understand, Storm has a number of high ranking players. But in Tournaments Diviners don't fare well, largely because they are limited to the number of bolts they can use. From personal experience my best day in ranked arena was the day before the change when I used up all my high accuracy enchanted Wild Bolts. In nine matches, I went second in seven and only lost tw . Wild Bolt was the instrument that allowed storm to hang into matches, because of its ability to be thrown any turn.
I'm starting this thread to petition KI to remove Wild Bolt as it is now and replace it with a two pip DoT. This will give Diviners a much needed and useful spell to stay competetive.
I'm hoping other players will express their opinions about this kind of change in this thread.

Historian
May 15, 2009
scarecrow182000 wrote:
I've seen and taken part in the debate about KI's recent change to Wild Bolt. Many of us have spoken up and most agree the change is less than satisfactory. I'll admit that Wild Bolt in its original form was becoming overpowered with the release of Celestia. So Bolt is not going to go back to what it was. But now its not very useful.
In the Arena, from what I understand, Storm has a number of high ranking players. But in Tournaments Diviners don't fare well, largely because they are limited to the number of bolts they can use. From personal experience my best day in ranked arena was the day before the change when I used up all my high accuracy enchanted Wild Bolts. In nine matches, I went second in seven and only lost tw . Wild Bolt was the instrument that allowed storm to hang into matches, because of its ability to be thrown any turn.
I'm starting this thread to petition KI to remove Wild Bolt as it is now and replace it with a two pip DoT. This will give Diviners a much needed and useful spell to stay competetive.
I'm hoping other players will express their opinions about this kind of change in this thread.

i reccommend a DoT spell that costs perhaps 5 pips has a fizzle rate of 60 and does an initial damage of 500 and does 500 over 3 turns or something like this.
feel free to add any suggestions to change that
because the way wild bolt is now it is entirely useless to me as a legendary diviner

Samuel Duskmancer- Level 57 Grand Master Necromancer
Samuel Dragonsword- Level 60 Legendary Diviner
Samuel Shadowmancer- level 51 Grand Master Theurgist

Survivor
Aug 03, 2010
scarecrow182000 wrote:

See this is the problem, its people like you (and many others) who keep talking about how Wild Bolt was over powered in PVP. Ok we can all agree that in PVP it was bad, so remove Wild Bolt from PVP and LEAVE IT ALONE IN PVE. There was absolutely NOTHING WRONG with it in PVE scenarios prior to Celestia being released, PERIOD.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
Storm is already too powerful and doesn't need more offensive options with such as Damage over Time.

Historian
May 15, 2009
colagada wrote:
Storm is already too powerful and doesn't need more offensive options with such as Damage over Time.

thats the point!
storm is supposed to have the HIGHEST base damage out of ANY other school
if you dont like that well then too bad.

you people really need to go back and reread the guide to the game

Explorer
Aug 21, 2010
colagada wrote:

That is a totally pointless thing to say...

Storm NEEDS a damage over time spell because without it people are stacking too many shields - which ruins PvP!

Survivor
Apr 05, 2010
Storm has lost its most important weapon. What if Heckhound lost its DoT ability. What if Judgement became an 6 pip for 600 damage spell. What if Wraith no longer healed its caster. Maybe Orthrus can do its damage in one hit? How much do you think wizards in other schools would be upset at those kind of changes. An argument has been made for all of those spells being overpowered. Why don't we nerf them?

From personal experience Wild Bolt was overpowered in the Arena AND in the game. As I progressed through Celestia in the test realm, I personally used it more and more until that was almost all I used. It made the game boring. Before I never used bolt in PvE. Much of Celestia is soloable for a diviner who knows what they are doing. High accuracy bolt became a crutch.

Now having lost a valuable weapon, storm needs something else. A two pip DoT would go a long way to making up that loss.

Explorer
Feb 25, 2010
What if tempest "washed away" all storm shields? You would still waste however many pips on a shielded attack, but it would leave the person open to another attack, similar to a DoT spell but more in line with the sudden strike characteristic of storm.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
wild bolt is worthless to me how it is now, a two pip dot card is highly desired by storm in pvp, something that is low pip and takes off storm shields over a few turns is a pretty sweet card.... I'd still rather just have a way to prevent myself from being assaulted by stacked dispels... it seems like the only storm spells that are allowed to be cast if you go last in the arena are from those who polymorph themselves into storm and those who use the storm lord necklace

Survivor
Apr 05, 2010
I could get behind the idea of storm getting a spell similar earthquake. Thats innovative, even if its like tempest and takes all my pips. Diviners could do some damage a wand or two later :)

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
Storm Elf?

Lets see.
Start with two power pips (YP).
Cast Storm Elf. One YP gone, so down to on YP.
Next round
Get another YP, so to 2 YP. Opponent still has Storm Elf.
Cast Storm Blade, zero pips, so still have 2 YP.
Next round.
Get another YP, so now 3 YP. Opponent still has Storm Elf.
Cast Element Blade, 1 pip. Back down to 2YP (wasted a pip).
Next round.
Get another YP, so back to 3 YP. Should be the last of Storm Elf.
Cast Triton.

Or, if along the way, you get a white pip, then cast the Element blade. Still the same thing!

Without any gear boosts, and a minimum of 795, get 795 * 1.3 * 1.35 or 1395 damage that is pretty unstoppable. No feints, no traps, no enchanted cards, just simple stuff.

Pull it off again, get a total of 2800 damage.

Glad I don't do PvP.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
scarecrow182000 wrote:
I could get behind the idea of storm getting a spell similar earthquake. Thats innovative, even if its like tempest and takes all my pips. Diviners could do some damage a wand or two later :)

I can't get behind that myself, I favor only a low pip multi-round attack all that allows larger storm attacks to be delivered.

Survivor
Feb 15, 2009
rupertjames wrote:
colagada wrote:

Storm NEEDS a damage over time spell because without it people are stacking too many shields - which ruins PvP!

Storm does NOT need a Damage over time spell.
If you make the school any more powerful then everything will be unbalanced! Let me see, Storm has: Triton, kraken, storm lord, storm shark, and hey, 1/3 of the time you guys can hit 1000 with wild bolt at 70% accuracy.

As for the stacking of sheilds, thats the point. Without shields, theyll die.
Just stating my opinion...

Survivor
Feb 15, 2009
Thechaosmagician wrote:
colagada wrote:

thats the point!
storm is supposed to have the HIGHEST base damage out of ANY other school
if you dont like that well then too bad.

you people really need to go back and reread the guide to the game

Dude, why dont YOU go back and reread the game guide.

As it stats, all 7 schools are supposed to be balanced out!!!
If we have a too powerful school then it unbalances the whole game! I know some people who quit because of storm.

And im sure storm doesnt need MORE offensive spells to be added to their deck!!!!

Survivor
Feb 15, 2009
To all Diviner Whiners,

Stop it.
Whining wont get you anywhere.
KI made up its mind.
They wont be adding or removing any spells to storm.
Be grateful that you have the BEST spells!
So what if you lost Wild Bolt.
It wasnt the ONLY spell you used!
Shall i list?- Kraken, triton, storm lord, storm shark and not to mention the awesome, butt-kicking Leviaton!!!!
Now does it seem Storm is useless?!?!?!?!
Exactly.

Historian
May 15, 2009
trickster201 wrote:
To all Diviner Whiners,

Stop it.
Whining wont get you anywhere.
KI made up its mind.
They wont be adding or removing any spells to storm.
Be grateful that you have the BEST spells!
So what if you lost Wild Bolt.
It wasnt the ONLY spell you used!
Shall i list?- Kraken, triton, storm lord, storm shark and not to mention the awesome, butt-kicking Leviaton!!!!
Now does it seem Storm is useless?!?!?!?!
Exactly.

but we are supposed to have the HIGHEST base attack cards
wild bolt included
if we cant have that then we at least deserve a lower powered DoT spell

Survivor
Apr 05, 2010
This is not whining. This is stating an opinion that a change that was made to my favorite school was for the much far worse. Wild Bolt was not changed until the release of Celestia because KI didn't feel it was unbalanced before then, despite the massive WHINING by all the other wizards who play this game. As it stands, the new bolt is a farce. Try using it in the game. Before it would fizzle and you move on. You still got your pip and your blades didn't go poof. Now it hits for a base of 10 or 100 and you lose the pips and the blades, without doing anything of consequence. Every Diviner I know considers the spell useless. I would like to see someone who plays on storm tell me that they have found a real use for it, other than a shield buster. For that I would rather use a lightning bat. Most of the time it would still do more damage.

As to the person who said it would be unfair that a Dot would give me a clear shot with a bladed Triton, how is that scenario different than being hit with a full power, triple bladed Heckhound, followed by a fire elf next turn. Those do almost 2000 points of damage a turn through full arena gear AND burn through your shields. After the old Wild Bolt, Heckhound is the most broken card in this game.

Explorer
Jun 30, 2009
Im a life wizard, and I completely disagree with the change. Wild Bolt is now a completly useless spell. They could of just made wild bolt unenchantable. They changed it because with the new celstia spells:
Star school accuracy aura: 15%
Sun school accuracy card: 25%
Storm accuracy blade: 10%
Life accuracy blade: 10%
Storm Armor boosts: 30%
Balance accuracy: 10%
Regular wildbolt accuracy: 10%
Thats 110% accuracy. Sure, most storm wizards might not be able to get ALL those boosts, but definatley some! So they changed it, instead of making it immune to enchantments, or unable to use blades, they do that.
Come on KI, really?

Bring back the old WB! But make it unenchantable!

Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
scarecrow182000 wrote:
Storm has lost its most important weapon. What if Heckhound lost its DoT ability. What if Judgement became an 6 pip for 600 damage spell. What if Wraith no longer healed its caster. Maybe Orthrus can do its damage in one hit? How much do you think wizards in other schools would be upset at those kind of changes. An argument has been made for all of those spells being overpowered. Why don't we nerf them?

From personal experience Wild Bolt was overpowered in the Arena AND in the game. As I progressed through Celestia in the test realm, I personally used it more and more until that was almost all I used. It made the game boring. Before I never used bolt in PvE. Much of Celestia is soloable for a diviner who knows what they are doing. High accuracy bolt became a crutch.

Now having lost a valuable weapon, storm needs something else. A two pip DoT would go a long way to making up that loss.

KI has in effect removed wild bolt from the game.I dont know ANYONE
that has it in thier deck,not one.Not only is the "new wild bolt" worthless,
the MAJORITY of the time it is a DETRIMENT to use it.What other school has a spell like this?I agree that with the accuracy SOMETHING need to
to be done,(I saw many good suggestions) capping the accuracy makes
sense.But what KI did was by far the worse idea for wild bolt.I would
love to hear someone from KI give us thier rational for this particular
change.I can only assume the removal of ANY usefulness was intentional
on the part of KI.At this point most people that have a storm wizard
would take ANY spell they could actually USE!

Defender
Jan 03, 2009
Myth, life, and balance don't have DoT spells so why does storm need one so badly if other schools can survive without it.

Survivor
Apr 05, 2010
ANYTHING I can actually use would be great! A DoT, a heal, maybe something to steal blades (since disarm and clanse charm do something unique to the storm school). Storm has lost its best weapon. It still has tools and weapons, but it has been put at a severe disadvantage now. We'll see if KI decides to listen to its players to give it something they want.

Survivor
Jan 30, 2009
scarecrow182000 wrote:

this is what we call a bolting noob. it depends on luck, not skill. also in pve is should be left alone cause the monsters cant really complain. also you guys have storm elf, a DoT, and it is two pips. also they are still competitive with levithian.

Survivor
Jun 13, 2009
scarecrow182000 wrote:

i reccommend a DoT spell that costs perhaps 5 pips has a fizzle rate of 60 and does an initial damage of 500 and does 500 over 3 turns or something like this.
feel free to add any suggestions to change that
because the way wild bolt is now it is entirely useless to me as a legendary diviner

A 5 pip spell for the end of marleybone?

Cortana99 wrote:
See this is the problem, its people like you (and many others) who keep talking about how Wild Bolt was over powered in PVP. Ok we can all agree that in PVP it was bad, so remove Wild Bolt from PVP and LEAVE IT ALONE IN PVE. There was absolutely NOTHING WRONG with it in PVE scenarios prior to Celestia being released, PERIOD.

Ok I have leveled many characters in this game. I can tell you by far in pve i flew through the game as a storm, 1k damage that early in the game was a bit overpowered.
rupertjames wrote:

Talk about pointless. I have done many pvp matches as and against a storm. In fact I can not recall ever losing to a storm as my death mage. The reason they never use prisms. Out of my 4 high level pvp rankings my storm has the highest. A prism will change your attack to myth and bypass any shields until you can wand them off. also a well placed earthquake goes a long way. Strategy my friend, strategy.