Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Changes to Wild Bolt Spell - a Civilized Chat

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 17, 2009
CoopKoda wrote:
I still don't think you have made the right adjustment to this spell. The 10 and 100 are just unrealistic for this spell which was one of Storms mysterious spells.

This spell should be changed to only 2 possible hits, 500 and 1000. The accuracy lowered to 50% and capped with no ability for it to be enchanted or affected by gear.

There is no point to a spell being in Storms spell book if they are never gonna use it, and with the current way it's been changed, it's not likely anyone will.

Professor Greyrose wrote:
We've listened to our community, done internal balance testing and had exhaustive discussions about the spell Wild Bolt, and have change the Wild Bolt spell based on this research.

Wild Bolt will now have 70% accuracy and do 10, 100, or 1000 damage.

We will continue to monitor how this impacts the balance of the game, as well as listen to all players feedback.

We ask that you take some time to play with this version of Wild Bolt before jumping to conclusions. It's truly a Wild Bolt now!

All posts regarding this change MUST go in this thread, other posts will not be approved. Let's keep it civilized, constructive and creative please.
i use it and its fine

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009

This was based on give and take (as I stated in my previous post mind you!) you gotta give something to get something in this world today.
Storm gave up a direct 1000 damage wild bolt for that nice little Leviathan that mind you hits 1000+ damage anyhow but for more pips.

I'm sorry, this is a ridiculous argument!

What did Ice "give up" to get the powerful level 58 Snow Angel spell?
What did Death "give up" for their level 58 spell? Or Fire? Or Balance.....?

You do realize that Leviathon is the level 58 spell, whereas Wild Bolt was earned around level 35 and was available to use in MooShu, Dragonspyre and most of Celestia...? You get that, right? By the time any school earns their level 58 spell, they're almost all the way through Celestia---that's not much help in MooShu.

Leviathon is not a "replacement" for Wild Bolt, any more than Snow Angel is a "replacement" for Frostbite, a DOT spell that Ice wizards earn at the end of Krokotopia. Would a level 30 Ice wizard be happy if KI made Frostbite useless, and a Storm wizard tried to tell them to get over it because "Snow Angel replaces Frostbite?" How is a spell earned at level 58 going to "replace" a spell that is vital at level 30!

I have played Storm and I'm currently playing Ice. Have you done both as well? What I hear in your posts is bitterness (envy, perhaps?) and I see that you seem to lack experience in playing a Storm wizard. You only see the damage potential and seem to envy it. What you don't see is the downside of being Storm, the risk, and how for many Diviners Wild Bolt was a potentially live-saving gamble that was quite likely to fail, yet that risked nothing if it failed. Fizzles, annoying as they are, at least leave pips and boosts intact. Now, it's the opposite, ironically. Because it's so much more accurate and yet so unlikely to hit big, a successful Wild Bolt is a liability 2 out of 3 times.

So yes, while my game play certainly did not depend on Wild Bolt in its previous version, I do agree that the new version is a terrible change. The way KI solved the PvP Wild Bolt issue was harmful to PvE Diviners. A simple accuracy cap would have solved the PvP issue while letting PvE Diviners still use the spell as a strategy when they're waiting on pips.

Survivor
Mar 16, 2010

Let's be realistic about the power of storm. A lightning bolts hit at millions of volts and frequently hits the earth. Storm school has little health compared to other schools and it's gear don't have much protection. In the arena a big part of storm was the bolt; like in a storm it should be. Give storm more health and the bolt back to high powered.

Survivor
Jul 21, 2010
I do not like the changes made to the bolt. When storm hits a 100 damage shot, it can actually end up doing less damage than if I use a 0 pip wand spell. Honestly, the accuracy should have been raised a little bit ( about 40% ) and should do 450-600 storm damage or 850-1000 storm damage.

-Blake Bearmancer
Level 60 Necromancer

Explorer
Dec 19, 2008
Freshta wrote:

This was based on give and take (as I stated in my previous post mind you!) you gotta give something to get something in this world today.
Storm gave up a direct 1000 damage wild bolt for that nice little Leviathan that mind you hits 1000+ damage anyhow but for more pips.

I'm sorry, this is a ridiculous argument!

What did Ice "give up" to get the powerful level 58 Snow Angel spell?
What did Death "give up" for their level 58 spell? Or Fire? Or Balance.....?

You do realize that Leviathon is the level 58 spell, whereas Wild Bolt was earned around level 35 and was available to use in MooShu, Dragonspyre and most of Celestia...? You get that, right? By the time any school earns their level 58 spell, they're almost all the way through Celestia---that's not much help in MooShu.

Leviathon is not a "replacement" for Wild Bolt, any more than Snow Angel is a "replacement" for Frostbite, a DOT spell that Ice wizards earn at the end of Krokotopia. Would a level 30 Ice wizard be happy if KI made Frostbite useless, and a Storm wizard tried to tell them to get over it because "Snow Angel replaces Frostbite?" How is a spell earned at level 58 going to "replace" a spell that is vital at level 30!

I have played Storm and I'm currently playing Ice. Have you done both as well? What I hear in your posts is bitterness (envy, perhaps?) and I see that you seem to lack experience in playing a Storm wizard. You only see the damage potential and seem to envy it. What you don't see is the downside of being Storm, the risk, and how for many Diviners Wild Bolt was a potentially live-saving gamble that was quite likely to fail, yet that risked nothing if it failed. Fizzles, annoying as they are, at least leave pips and boosts intact. Now, it's the opposite, ironically. Because it's so much more accurate and yet so unlikely to hit big, a successful Wild Bolt is a liability 2 out of 3 times.

So yes, while my game play certainly did not depend on Wild Bolt in its previous version, I do agree that the new version is a terrible change. The way KI solved the PvP Wild Bolt issue was harmful to PvE Diviners. A simple accuracy cap would have solved the PvP issue while letting PvE Diviners still use the spell as a strategy when they're waiting on pips.

Lets just focus on storm. ya see he meant that why dont you just use Leviathan. It may be a lvl 58 spell and it may be 8 pips but it is worth it. Now i understand what you are mad about. But nobody envy's storm it's just that the entire school is based on damage. now the new wild bolt you are just mad be cause of the 10 100 1000 and blades can be useless. but wild bolt would of got out of hand and KI was not gonna use a accuracy lock due to the fact that some players would go so far to complain ( not likely but has already happend) about it never works. So just do what i do with the wild bolt spell use it as a sheild breaker or go for a lucky shot.

Survivor
Nov 30, 2009
Ok, Wildbolt was unfair. we can all attest to that if we went against someone who knew how to use it before. HOWEVER, in the PVP world, ICE and Life both have unfair advantages now as well!

There is no reason for either school to have such enormous amounts of health at this point since storm's advantage has been removed.

Especially life, since, as we all know, all they do is heal anyways in PVP 2v or higher.

Explorer
Apr 28, 2009
Greyross... if i may ask the majority of people didnt like the wild bolt change. I understand about the reason why you did it so that the spell wouldnt hit a 60% accuracy of chance.... but as a storm wizard it seemed unfair even looking at that you messed with a spell of ours that would be a life saver in battle. now now you cant blade the spell much less use feint. An idea to the spell would be to put a 30% accuracy cap on it or a 25% and the enchantments other than damage increasing enchantments would not work on the spells cap. I would LOVE that to come into place could you do that and try a poll on that. OH and if you could answer if you would try this please reply why you should or shouldnt do it, and why you didnt take action by the number of unhappy people majority in the wild bolt poll.

Explorer
Jul 06, 2009
We've listened to our community, done internal balance testing and had exhaustive discussions about the spell Wild Bolt, and have change the Wild Bolt spell based on this research.

We will continue to monitor how this impacts the balance of the game, as well as listen to all players feedback.

We ask that you take some time to play with this version of Wild Bolt before jumping to conclusions. It's truly a Wild Bolt now!

All posts regarding this change MUST go in this thread, other posts will not be approved. Let's keep it civilized, constructive and creative please.

Well 2 pips is an awful lot for 10 or 100, but it does fizzle less

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Lets just focus on storm. ya see he meant that why dont you just use Leviathan. It may be a lvl 58 spell and it may be 8 pips but it is worth it.

And this shows that both you and the guy I was responding to COMPLETELY missed my point.

How does a level 35 Diviner "just use Leviathon?" How?! Leviathon is a LEVEL 58 spell. A Diviner in MooShu, who is level 35-45, does not HAVE Leviathon available! All they have at that level is Tempest and Kraken and a formerly useful Wild Bolt.

At level 35, Wild Bolt was the strongest spell available, much stronger than Kraken. Yes, there's Tempest, but Wild Bot is much faster than Tempest---because to get 1000 out of a Tempest requires over 10 pips, but a Diviner would be killed trying to wait that long. Wild Bolt was even stronger than Stormzilla (which is not available until level 42.)

So you guys keep telling Magus Diviners to just use spells that aren't available to them until much higher levels, and act like that solves the problem for the level 35-41 Diviner getting creamed in MooShu and early Dragonspyre.

Let me say this again, since so many people don't seem to understand: Wild Bolt is NOT a Grandmaster level spell! It is earned at the Magus level. The "fixes" you are all suggesting, using Stormzilla, Triton, Leviathon, ect. are not available to Magus wizards!!!!! At the Magus level is when I got the most use out of Wild Bolt. I used it a lot while on quests. I never did PvP.

KI was not gonna use a accuracy lock due to the fact that some players would go so far to complain ( not likely but has already happend) about it never works.

And now I'm lauging. People are always complaining about something--just read these boards and this thread. Given how the old Wild Bolt worked, even with the high fizzle rate, Diviners are still able to use it strategically with the risk of fizzle not being a problem. Capping the accuracy does not handicap the spell, but the current changes DO.

If there's a reason KI doesn't cap the accuracy, I would imagine that has more to do with programming difficulties than them being worried about complaints. After all, this thread is nothing but complaints, and I don't see them making any noises about switching Wild Bolt back......

Sierra StormCaller
Grandmaster Diviner

Survivor
Mar 24, 2010
cmullins wrote:
Used Spell For Sale!

Wild Bolt Spell Card
Low Miles, Great Condition

Willing to negotiate on price.

Open to trades. A nice stick and a couple of rocks will do as a trade.
(probably be more useful too)

:(

Well a stick and a couple of rocks will do more than a 10 damage wild bolt. Now after throwing it at a minion, jk, it did twelve damage lol and that did more than a bolt. The point I'm trying to get across is it's useless and a level five's wans will do more. Strom's spells are powerful and that doesn't help anything in storm. Useless.

Survivor
Oct 29, 2008
I like the Wild bolt spell. However, I think enemy's shouldn't use it! An enemy got critical on it to me and i died instantly and it's not fair because storm can use it for TWO pips!

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
Freshta wrote:
Lets just focus on storm. ya see he meant that why dont you just use Leviathan. It may be a lvl 58 spell and it may be 8 pips but it is worth it.

And this shows that both you and the guy I was responding to COMPLETELY missed my point.

How does a level 35 Diviner "just use Leviathon?" How?! Leviathon is a LEVEL 58 spell. A Diviner in MooShu, who is level 35-45, does not HAVE Leviathon available! All they have at that level is Tempest and Kraken and a formerly useful Wild Bolt.

At level 35, Wild Bolt was the strongest spell available, much stronger than Kraken. Yes, there's Tempest, but Wild Bot is much faster than Tempest---because to get 1000 out of a Tempest requires over 10 pips, but a Diviner would be killed trying to wait that long. Wild Bolt was even stronger than Stormzilla (which is not available until level 42.)

So you guys keep telling Magus Diviners to just use spells that aren't available to them until much higher levels, and act like that solves the problem for the level 35-41 Diviner getting creamed in MooShu and early Dragonspyre.

Let me say this again, since so many people don't seem to understand: Wild Bolt is NOT a Grandmaster level spell! It is earned at the Magus level. The "fixes" you are all suggesting, using Stormzilla, Triton, Leviathon, ect. are not available to Magus wizards!!!!! At the Magus level is when I got the most use out of Wild Bolt. I used it a lot while on quests. I never did PvP.

KI was not gonna use a accuracy lock due to the fact that some players would go so far to complain ( not likely but has already happend) about it never works.

And now I'm lauging. People are always complaining about something--just read these boards and this thread. Given how the old Wild Bolt worked, even with the high fizzle rate, Diviners are still able to use it strategically with the risk of fizzle not being a problem. Capping the accuracy does not handicap the spell, but the current changes DO.

If there's a reason KI doesn't cap the accuracy, I would imagine that has more to do with programming difficulties than them being worried about complaints. After all, this thread is nothing but complaints, and I don't see them making any noises about switching Wild Bolt back......

Sierra StormCaller
Grandmaster Diviner

omg i may be a storm wizard but i know that when i was in mooshu that was my most valuble spell. i didnt use treasures to boost it i didnt use it in PvP and if you change it it will completely mess everyone that has it be likt messed up completely. at a magus level for storm bolt is your best friend if you change bolt you will make people not want to play the game because its impossible to get through for storm. if your going to keep that change make storms health higher they should have at least 2500 health at level 60. bolt is storms life saver just like judgment is balances life saver or rebirth with life.

Legendary Diviner
Logan Shadowsword

Survivor
Sep 25, 2009
Just My Opinion, Im a level 54 , It took a while to get the wild bolt, yea it was a pain when it fizzled alot, but thats what made it funny, as I nicknamed it fizzle bolt, but when it hit it did its job, Since You have changed the amounts it6 hits , well I just delete it from the stack of cards most of the time , as A wand even against storm bosses and thier resitance, is alot better than hittting something for 10 points, .. since this is What You came up with then make it a common card, and Create something else more suitable for an upper level wizard, much like storm lord

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
Pretty funny how all the Storm people are complaining. The reason storm has lower health is because of their potential 65% strength, 25% accuracy, and 36% resistance to ice and fire. Storm now fizzles less than most schools. Wild bolt is still a GREAT last ditch spell, if a storm legendary has, say, a blade and his level 58 clothes the thousand will hit over 2000. If both the said storm wizard and his opponent are pretty low on health, even the 100 will hit over 200, in place of a wand spell. I like the new "Wild Bolt" just fine.

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
As a new Storm wizard I must say I don't use Bolt at all. The times I have it has routinely hit for 10 or 100. I never had it hit for 1000.

I feel it is a waste of 2 pips. I am level 43. My power pip chance is 50%. Pips are hard to come by and with my low health (1410) it is not worth it.

Every other school's 2 pip spells hit in the 155-210 range. I realize we have three different levels Bolt can hit at. But, 10 is ridiculously low. I would feel better if it 150, 195 and 1000. At least then it is more in line with other schools 2 pip spells.

I don't understand why it can't simply be the old hit percent rate and totally un-enchantable by any boost or gear. It hits or not at 1000.

Megan

Survivor
Oct 17, 2010
I am not storm, I am a Thaumaturge- but I simply love the Diviners! Their spells are very sleek, and as soon as I get to level 60 on my Ice wizard, I'm starting storm! I don't think the Wild Bolt has been mutilated, I think it is simply "Wild". Good job KI, you make a great game and I wanted to thank you. People, please stop complaining about the changes to the spell -.-

Have fun in the Spiral :]

Kestrel MoonShard
Level 48 Thaumaturge
Working on Celestia and attempting to get Frost Giant :]

Survivor
Jan 13, 2009
Pyrsik wrote:
You have simply neutered the spell. There is no strategic value to it anymore. I see no reason why anyone would include it in their deck. Why would anyone want to use a spell that will hit roughly 2/3 of the time,and if it does it, you have a 1/3 chance of a good hit? In my opinion, you have taken out the "wild" and replaced it with useless. :?

Couldn't agree more. I rarely used it before because even with my gear, level etc. it simply wasn't reliable. Now I am not wasting 2 pips to hit 10! Why bother? 1 more pip and I have Triton almost the same base hit and with Gargantuan now much better bet. This is a reaction to people in the arena that refuse to load shields. The next spell to go will be Triton no doubt. They need to create a PVP only deck and exclude the spells/after effects that untrained fighters complain the most about and fix the match up system. A lvl 60 should never ever be matched against a lvl 40 for instance. I don't see this happening any time soon

Defender
May 17, 2009
SilverAmarantine wrote:
I am not storm, I am a Thaumaturge- but I simply love the Diviners! Their spells are very sleek, and as soon as I get to level 60 on my Ice wizard, I'm starting storm! I don't think the Wild Bolt has been mutilated, I think it is simply "Wild". Good job KI, you make a great game and I wanted to thank you. People, please stop complaining about the changes to the spell -.-

Kestrel MoonShard
Level 48 Thaumaturge

Well, if changing bolt (one of our best spells) isn't so bad, than let's change snow angel to do 500 to 1 enemy, not a DoT or AoE, and when you complain, we can say, "People, please stop complaining about the changes to the spell-.-"

Armiger
May 10, 2010
scarpion18 wrote:
Pretty funny how all the Storm people are complaining. The reason storm has lower health is because of their potential 65% strength, 25% accuracy, and 36% resistance to ice and fire. Storm now fizzles less than most schools. Wild bolt is still a GREAT last ditch spell, if a storm legendary has, say, a blade and his level 58 clothes the thousand will hit over 2000. If both the said storm wizard and his opponent are pretty low on health, even the 100 will hit over 200, in place of a wand spell. I like the new "Wild Bolt" just fine.

No, what is pretty funny, is how you come in here, and say things without any back up of what you are talking about!
Yes, storm has 65% Strength, 25% accuracy, and 36% resistance to ice and fire, with level 58 Gear! Not sure if you know this, but WildBolt is a spell given to diviners after Marleybone! Not sure if you can do the math there, but that is somewhere around level 35. A far cry from level 58!

At that point, Diviners don't have that much damage, health, accuracy, and especially the PIPS to waste on a chance of 10,100, or maybe 1000 damage!

Do any of you realize, that power pip chance is not 70% until a player reaches Grandmaster! Those are valuable Pips you are wasting on the "New Wild Bolt Spell" For a low chance of hitting high damage. Unlike before, where if you did not hit, you would not lose those pips, could easily blade up and hit with triton, stormzilla, or tempest!

If you are not storm, then really think before you post on here. Because the only reason you like the New Wild Bolt if you are not storm, is because you PvP and it don't wipe the floor with you anymore with lower level wizards!

Armiger
May 10, 2010
SilverAmarantine wrote:

Kestrel MoonShard
Level 48 Thaumaturge

Ah yes, another non diviner giving their opinion! Thank you for your Opinion of a spell that you have never used, nor ever had a strategy with! Now, to demonstrate the changing of this spell, to something you might understand!

Since you don't have Frost Giant yet, we will not use that spell. However, you do have FrostBite! Yes, that will do nicely!

Ok, frostBite is a 5 pip spell, that does DOT! Great for those fire enemies that cast ice shields of 80% all the time! However, only 1 out of 3 times will it do DOT. The other times it does all damage at once! and less damage at that! say it can do for 5 pips, 200 damage, 400 damage, or what it does now for 3 rounds! That would totally change the outcome of that spell and make 2 times using it, worthless. And waste valuable pips!

This is only an example and not even sure if you can follow it, since you have to have some type of schooling to read and understand, but you posted an opinion, so you can at least type!

Survivor
Mar 02, 2009
ldaring wrote:
sorry to say that i do not like the changes as i did play with it while it was on the test realm, and now will be removing it from my deck as it wont serve me in the street fights i face. as a non pvp player i asked that it not be changed to this for simple reasons. one it took me a long time to find the best clothing for wild bolt. two i used it against the stronger enemies i faced out in the questing. and now it wont aid me in the least so why even have the wild bolt if its no good to use? it just sits there taking up space in the gold, unless you use it as a throw away card to access the gold deck. and the wild bolts i made using keen eyes or sniper wont be used either, looks like i will be deleting those from the gold cards.

so thank you to all who wanted this, i sure do not want it all.

I think i totally agree with you i have a grandmaster balance named wolf ghostrider as my main but i do have a storm guy

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009
For those of us who still have an issue with the changes to wild bolt, Professor Falmea have given a detailed explanation of the reasons behind the change. Visit this link : https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/30168.ftl#165034 and see what she had to say. maybe then we can begin to accept wild bolt as it is and find alternate means to survive as diviners!

I do agree that they should at least remove the 10 hit and let the minimun be at least 100.

Good news is this forum is not yet locked so there is still a chance that they will make some other adjustments that we can settle for.

In the meantime keep it civilized :)

Logan Frost,

Levle 55 Diviner

P.S. Make sure to craft your lvl 55 storm gear, get a pet with spritely, craft the rings and athames from that guy in the Crab empire. You'll need them to survive as a diviner!

Explorer
May 15, 2009
I think the change is perfect. With power pip percentage, attack boost, accuracy boost, and critical hit rating from high level gear. A storm wizard can effectively use wild bolt repeatedly to overwhelm and destroy an opponent. I've had it happen to myself, and I think making the attack more 'wild' is a perfect solution. It balances the game, and in turn makes it more enjoyable.

Survivor
May 18, 2009

Not to be rude but i kinda miss wild bolt the way it was. The poll said not to change it.When others conplained about judgment i said to keep it beaccuse thats a spell i use on my balance.It all starts at pvp. my idead is to make pvp cards that only work in pvp. likewhen you enter pvp you start at lvl on when you do it for the first time. after ten wins your level two. Pls KI i miss wild bold

Defender
Feb 09, 2009
once again, pvp should have their own spells. how about one set of spells designed for use in pvp, one deck as it were. everyone having the same3 spells, duels won by skill in using the spells or in the luck of the draw.
then replace the wild bolt to its former beauty 1000pts damage with a 10% accuracy. in celestia there is an unstoppable spell 30% accuracy, what is that used for?
i have been in fights where i was hit by wild bolt from the storm critters in celestia, i was gladdened by the fact that i was not hit for 1000 pts damage. on that note, thank you KI for making the critters in celestia use level 50 spells, i love that.
but return wild bolt back to its former self and give pvp their own spells.