Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Changes to Wild Bolt Spell - a Civilized Chat

AuthorMessage
Administrator
We've listened to our community, done internal balance testing and had exhaustive discussions about the spell Wild Bolt, and have change the Wild Bolt spell based on this research.

Wild Bolt will now have 70% accuracy and do 10, 100, or 1000 damage.

We will continue to monitor how this impacts the balance of the game, as well as listen to all players feedback.

We ask that you take some time to play with this version of Wild Bolt before jumping to conclusions. It's truly a Wild Bolt now!

All posts regarding this change MUST go in this thread, other posts will not be approved. Let's keep it civilized, constructive and creative please.

community@wizard101.com
Defender
Feb 28, 2010
I still don't think you have made the right adjustment to this spell. The 10 and 100 are just unrealistic for this spell which was one of Storms mysterious spells.

This spell should be changed to only 2 possible hits, 500 and 1000. The accuracy lowered to 50% and capped with no ability for it to be enchanted or affected by gear.

There is no point to a spell being in Storms spell book if they are never gonna use it, and with the current way it's been changed, it's not likely anyone will.

Professor Greyrose wrote:
We've listened to our community, done internal balance testing and had exhaustive discussions about the spell Wild Bolt, and have change the Wild Bolt spell based on this research.

We will continue to monitor how this impacts the balance of the game, as well as listen to all players feedback.

We ask that you take some time to play with this version of Wild Bolt before jumping to conclusions. It's truly a Wild Bolt now!

All posts regarding this change MUST go in this thread, other posts will not be approved. Let's keep it civilized, constructive and creative please.

Survivor
Apr 08, 2009
sorry to say that i do not like the changes as i did play with it while it was on the test realm, and now will be removing it from my deck as it wont serve me in the street fights i face. as a non pvp player i asked that it not be changed to this for simple reasons. one it took me a long time to find the best clothing for wild bolt. two i used it against the stronger enemies i faced out in the questing. and now it wont aid me in the least so why even have the wild bolt if its no good to use? it just sits there taking up space in the gold, unless you use it as a throw away card to access the gold deck. and the wild bolts i made using keen eyes or sniper wont be used either, looks like i will be deleting those from the gold cards.

so thank you to all who wanted this, i sure do not want it all.

Survivor
May 05, 2009
Used Spell For Sale!

Wild Bolt Spell Card
Low Miles, Great Condition

Willing to negotiate on price.

Open to trades. A nice stick and a couple of rocks will do as a trade.
(probably be more useful too)

:(

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
You have simply neutered the spell. There is no strategic value to it anymore. I see no reason why anyone would include it in their deck. Why would anyone want to use a spell that will hit roughly 2/3 of the time,and if it does it, you have a 1/3 chance of a good hit? In my opinion, you have taken out the "wild" and replaced it with useless. :?

Armiger
May 10, 2010
cmullins wrote:
Used Spell For Sale!

Wild Bolt Spell Card

Wait, Dont spend your money on his Wild Bolt Spells!

I will pay you to take mine! YEP, paying a sub and lost my spell, thanks again KI, your simply the best. NOT

Survivor
Jun 28, 2010
Pyrsik wrote:
You have simply neutered the spell. There is no strategic value to it anymore. I see no reason why anyone would include it in their deck. Why would anyone want to use a spell that will hit roughly 2/3 of the time,and if it does it, you have a 1/3 chance of a good hit? In my opinion, you have taken out the "wild" and replaced it with useless. :?
Ok.. I a grandmaster warlord storm, sure. its disappointing. But it makes things fair. If wilf bolt had been left the same, with clothing and pet boosts it would have a 76% accuracy chance!(With unstopple enchants).. In reality it takes wild bolt to hit 1000 33.3% of the chance. Now its a very random bolt. But.. I would honestly perffer a powerful over time spell, like posion or frostbite to storm wizards, Instead of this wild bolt.. Even though i use it a lot in pvp and manage to hit it.

Survivor
Jun 17, 2009
I think this change was made for PvP. People lose repeatedly by the same spell and they get upset, they complain, and soon enough they change the spell. I have a Grandmaster Storm, and I extremely rarely used wild bolt, however this change means it'll simply be a spell that merely marks the path to the better spells. I find it hard to imagine anyone using the new Wild Bolt, while the old one(outside of PvP) was not a consistent spell used regularly anyways. However, I believe that due to Storm's low health, we often find ourselves with few pips, few health, and with a Wild Bolt in our hand. The only times I ever used it were for last ditch efforts to win a battle. If you're going to change Wild Bolt then, I believe you should give Storm a small additional boost to their health. Because at Level 60, I had 2190 health approximately. That is wayy too low when I've seen Ice students with very nearly double that. At Level 60, Storm should have around 2400-2500 health. Just my opinion, hope you don't keep the new WB.

Alexander: Lvl 50 Storm
Alexander Dragonbreath: Level 50 Life
Alexander Skullblade: Level 48 Death
Alexander: Level 45 Balance

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
I'm sorry to say that you did not listen to your community. The Poll thread showed clearly that the majority of your responders did not want Wild Bolt changed by a ratio of 2.x to 1 (can't give specifics because the Test Realm threads are gone).

I'm not sure with whom you have had your "exhaustive discussions" with. Certainly not with the Wizard101 community as I kept a very close eye on every thread concerning this change. If it was done in-house, then it's was quite pointless. The "test" change to Wild Bolt would never had occurred unless it had already been agreed upon by your staff (either by majority or by hierarchy).

Several alternatives had been offered by the members, one of which was mine: make ALL enhancement cards unusable to a Wild Bolt card, and; CAP the accuracy to 25% (i.e., regardless of how much boost you have via equipment & spells, the accracy to Wild Bolt can never exceed 25%).

As it is now, Wild Bolt has a greater chance of doing 40% or less damage compared to Storm Bats (also a 2-pip spell). This means I will have wasted the round casting it, the 2 pips casting it, and another round recovering those 2 pips.

Survivor
Oct 09, 2010
Im totally not satisfied with the new change to Wild Bolt, i'd rather use a spell that fizzle so often (but save me 2 pips) but when it hits, it kills, rather than risking my valuable 2 pips on a spell that roughly two third of the time gonna do 100 damage or less, this is totally useless as a high rank spell.
Suggestion: maybe slightly increase the accuracy, say make it 20-25%, so much more practical and still have to do a lot of work to make it hit.

Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
cmullins wrote:
Used Spell For Sale!

Wild Bolt Spell Card

100% right wild bolt is now utterly useless.Why would anyone bother to use this spell now.KI i really would like an explaintion as to how this spell is usefull to a storm IN ANY WAY.Whats the thinking here?You have in effect
removed wild bolt from the game.

Defender
Dec 17, 2008
Well, I am aware of the fact that you at KI to treks through W101Central's forums often. There were many ideas offered there.

The idea that made the most sense to me was to lock it at 10% no matter what. It solves the problem of Wild Bolt becoming too accurate, and solves the risk if me wasting blades and traps on a spell that does 10, or 100 base damage.

In essence, it makes everyone happy. Simply make Bolt Unenchantable!!!

Survivor
Oct 27, 2009
I think the change is adequate and fair, and I will tell you why. There is no other school that has the opportunity to do 1000+ damage with 2 pips. I am a balance gm and I have to wait 5 rounds (if I get power pips each round) to hit judgment at 1000, not including gear, pet and boosts.

If you were to change wild bolt back to its original state, I would not be upset, however, I believe requiring more pips would even things out. Perhaps since all the storms are complaining (even though they have lord and triton), KI will change the bolt back to its original state. If they do, I hope they will require more pips. It takes the other schools building up pips to do any damage too.

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
CoopKoda wrote:
I still don't think you have made the right adjustment to this spell. The 10 and 100 are just unrealistic for this spell which was one of Storms mysterious spells.

This spell should be changed to only 2 possible hits, 500 and 1000. The accuracy lowered to 50% and capped with no ability for it to be enchanted or affected by gear.

There is no point to a spell being in Storms spell book if they are never gonna use it, and with the current way it's been changed, it's not likely anyone will.

Sorry Professor you do not listen to feed back otherwise you would have used the excellent suggestion made by the above poster (500 or 1000 hit with 50% accuracy)..... KI strikes out once again!

Survivor
May 19, 2010
for those of you that know its all about the money. too many paying people complained about it and I agree that the changes made to it completely wipes out the wild aspect of the spell. As for my storm im removing it from my deck as its now useless and defeats the purpose of a "WILD" card in my deck for the storyline playing. (i dont pvp)

Survivor
Dec 02, 2009
yes it fizzled a lot in the old version but when i needed it it always came through for me. now its not worth the time. Please put it back the way it was

Armiger
May 10, 2010
arollison wrote:
I think the change is adequate and fair, and I will tell you why. There is no other school that has the opportunity to do 1000+ damage with 2 pips. I am a balance gm and I have to wait 5 rounds (if I get power pips each round) to hit judgment at 1000, not including gear, pet and boosts.

If you were to change wild bolt back to its original state, I would not be upset, however, I believe requiring more pips would even things out. Perhaps since all the storms are complaining (even though they have lord and triton), KI will change the bolt back to its original state. If they do, I hope they will require more pips. It takes the other schools building up pips to do any damage too.

Ok first off, Being Balance, you have spells that only Tower shield can block. Secondly, we can not put any stop spell on you. Third, you have 85% accuracy. Fourth, you have 700 more health than storm.

Ok, what was your complaint again?

Oh yeah thats right, its not fair that storm has a spell that has 10% chance of working that does that much damage. And it is also not fair that there is no Balance shield, or dispel Balance, or a serious permanent mega health boost for storm. Nothing is fair in the world, sorry.

But, KI said they listened to their community, but 62% of the people said they did not like the change to Wild bolt, 28% did and 10% did not care. If this is how they calculate their percentages, and I think it is, then Wildbolt has about 2% chance of hitting for 1000. USELESS!

Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
arollison wrote:

Well heres to hoping KI puts in balance shields and dispelsLets see how you like that one. That would be adequate and fair i believe.And I have a balance grandmaster lol.Whats next on KI victims list?

Administrator
Thank you all for the feedback, we are listening!

For those of you who are wondering where your posts went, swearing at us is not only going to result in your post being rejected, but you may find yourself expelled from Wizard101.

Please keep this civilized.

community@wizard101.com
Delver
Mar 15, 2009
HEY!! why did you change wild bolt?
the poll said that 62% of players HATED the change!!! so why did you not listen to us? and changed it any way,you just cut off the right hand of storm thanks a lot.

that poll of yours was a wast of time,MY TIME,AND 62% OF PEOPLE WHO VOTED AGAINST THE CHANGE!!!

so why do you keep taking from us (the players) all the time?
and please dont insult our intelligence with a robotic answer.

michael redblood grand death
2 more grand death
2grand ice
2grand fire
2 grand storm
2 grand life
1 grand myth

Delver
Mar 15, 2009

you did not listen to the community, because 62% of it HATED the change to wild bolt.
why use wild bolt even a 10 year old can see it a waste.
whats next judgement,lets take that one away from us to,and all the other spells that people (PvPers) cry about because they dont like them.

this is a civilized post,a constructive one,you guys got the creative covered with how you changed the definition to suit your needs and not the players.

how sad

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
Well I must say this change is just silly. Why would I want to waste my traps/blades on a spell just to hit for 150 if i am lucky? it has now been taken from my deck.

ellie

Survivor
Dec 24, 2008
Why not have a 'wild' range of damage 100-1000?

just sayin'

Survivor
Jan 04, 2010
I am really mad about the changes to wild bolt. I have a 5 wizards all grandmasters except one (45) and one of those grandmasters is a Storm wizard. Every school has unique spells that makes then different from others schools. I dont know why you are taking our strongest spell and make it weak. Yea of course you have a change to hit 1000 but what about the other 2 options: thats so LAME!!! Critical hits makes storm unique. Now in pvp matches i dont like to lose to storm wizards that only use wild bolt but THATS part of the game. Believe me i have defeated several bolters in my Master Necromancer at lvl 45. So stop complaining about wild bolt at pvp. Have a good strategy against them and you will win. Now I hope Kingsisle to change wild bolt to its original stats. I am really upset about the change.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Thank you all for the feedback, we are listening!

For those of you who are wondering where your posts went, swearing at us is not only going to result in your post being rejected, but you may find yourself expelled from Wizard101.

Please keep this civilized.

Anyway, let me ask this, how many people need to complain, quit, sign a petition, or do something drastic to get the spell back to its original state? Will it matter what we say or do? You say you are listening, but so far, almost everyone hates what you have done to Wild Bolt.

Here are the reasons. 1: You waste 2 pips on a supposed 33% chance at 1000 damage ( and like Elemental Blast, usually you get ice, the lowest )

2:You can use wand and get more damage without the use of pips.
3:Storm has low health to begin with, so we have to hit hard and fast to even have a chance!
4:We fizzle the most, so, if we can, use spells, and enchantments to get a spell to work 70, 80, 90, and even 100% of the time, which would take a lot of other casting and costs, would we not then earn that right?
5:We are trying to keep all the schools in balance, yet, this clearly takes a great spell from storm. Yet, we are now giving Ice an amulet that gives a +45 attack blade, plus you can have pet with DragonBlade, Plus other enchantments, to make their attacks very very powerful, plus they can steal your shields, have lots of tower shields, and have resistance to all magic. Meanwhile, Balance, there is only tower shield that will protect you, and that is an ice spell, unless you buy them, and at most we can only get 5, unless you buy them, they have 125 per pip judgement spell, plus blades, hex, add feints in, and without shields or dispel, your done for, especially with low health. So, we are trying to keep the playing field even, right?

Does any other school have a spell that wastes pips? why should storms?

Either make the spell have a 0 pip cost, which would then be fair, or make it be 200 or 1000 damage a 50/50 chance, that way, it would be fair.