Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Changes to Wild Bolt Spell - a Civilized Chat

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jul 15, 2009
Professor Greyrose wrote:
This discussion will continue on the message boards, but I wanted to assure our readers that this thread was unintentionally removed.

It was not our intent to stop or hide this discussion, it was simply human error that removed this entire thread, instead of just an inappropriate post within the thread.

Also I want to point out that we are not commenting on posts because we want this to be a civilized discussion between our players. Each and ever post is read, and we are listening.

While we do not anticipate reverting Wild Bolt, we are taking into consideration how the current status of the spell impacts our players in both PvE and PvP.

I think we can all agree about this spell that its making the pvp people mad and not to put anyone down, but I think we should just do this has anyone ever thought of this idea? In pvp the spell can be 10,100,1000, but when your not doing pvp it can be 70% 1000 damage. Is that fair enough? Does anyone agree with me? Because I understand everyones' concerns. :-)

Survivor
Aug 03, 2010
This discussion will continue on the message boards, but I wanted to assure our readers that this thread was unintentionally removed.

It was not our intent to stop or hide this discussion, it was simply human error that removed this entire thread, instead of just an inappropriate post within the thread.

Also I want to point out that we are not commenting on posts because we want this to be a civilized discussion between our players. Each and every post is read, and we are listening.

While we do not anticipate reverting Wild Bolt, we are taking into consideration how the current status of the spell impacts our players in both PvE and PvP.

I mean no disrespect, but how can KI honestly anticipate not reverting Wild Bolt back, when the changes made have caused this much of an uproar within the community? Does the community not matter? Cause that is honestly what i am hearing from KI. The uproar is not limited to just this web site, read other sites like Wizard101Central, where there are petitions to get Wild Bolt back to its pre-Celestia form, and countless other furious players who do not have paying accounts, so they have to post and rant on other sites.

Yes i know the PVP community is happy with the changes so non-storm wizards do not have to deal with being two-shotted (or so they claim, i do not pvp), but once again, this is a PVP ISSUE, NOT PVE. Is it that difficult to allow PVE Storm Wizards to have back, what was never "broke" in the first place?

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
I don't understand KI management. An overwhelming majority of players who responded to this issue,did not like the change. I agree that the spell needed to be changed,but your modification not only lacks sense,it is infuriating your paying members who use it! Many good suggestions were voiced about how to properly modify the spell,and yet it has fallen on deaf ears. You say you're listening,but acknowledge that you have no plans to make any adjustments.How can a company that wants to succeed,do so by taking their paying customers for granted?This is only the latest example of a pattern of poor decisions by KI management. Some people have already left,more will continue do so if you you don't reassess your decisions and priorities.

Survivor
Aug 03, 2010
ompace wrote:

Also I want to point out that we are not commenting on posts because we want this to be a civilized discussion between our players. Each and ever post is read, and we are listening.

I think we can all agree about this spell that its making the pvp people mad and not to put anyone down, but I think we should just do this has anyone ever thought of this idea? In pvp the spell can be 10,100,1000, but when your not doing pvp it can be 70% 1000 damage. Is that fair enough? Does anyone agree with me? Because I understand everyones' concerns. :-)

I do like your idea but in PVE you cant have it at 70% and 1000 damage, its original form was 10% and 1000, and with accuracy bonuses you could get your Wild Bolt up enough to where the gamble is very reasonable. 70% would be completely unbalanced for the spell, KI just needs to reverse it to its pre-Celestia format and allow the spell to react differently in a PVP atmosphere, compared to PVE, which you suggested.

If something like this suggestion is completely brushed off, then i am starting to think KI just flat out did not like the spell to begin with, that they believed it was too powerful or something, i dont know (waiting this long though is rather...a bad way to handle the situation). But i NEVER heard any complaints in my travels in PVE, in fact people would always see Wild Bolt queued up and go "Come on Wild Bolt!", cause Storm was supposed to be known for big, FAST damage, and Wild Bolt provided that.

Defender
Aug 13, 2010
Cortana99 wrote:
Yes i know the PVP community is happy with the changes so non-storm wizards do not have to deal with being two-shotted (or so they claim, i do not pvp), but once again, this is a PVP ISSUE, NOT PVE. Is it that difficult to allow PVE Storm Wizards to have back, what was never "broke" in the first place?

This would be my major complaint for the new Wild Bolt spell. The spell may have been an exploitable cheating device in PVP, but as one levels up and is able to improve their overall accuracy, the 'old' Wild Bolt may be greatly missed in PVE.

I think that Wild Bolt should be returned to its original form (Or, be given the '500/1000 Damage and 50% accuracy another user suggested) and just outright banning it from PVP, where the majority of complaints have arisen.

Delver
Sep 26, 2009
Everyone that is liking the change are the people who like the change for pvp. For pve, they could probably care less. I still dont like the new bolt, it hits 10 damage way to much, more than 1/3 of the times, i used wild bolt 20 times and only 4 of the times. Just ta point something out, when the enemies use it it seems it does the 1000 damage 90% of the time. Maybe you can fix that to even out with our 4/20 (according to my bolt) hit rate.

Defender
May 17, 2009
We've listened to our community, done internal balance testing and had exhaustive discussions about the spell Wild Bolt, and have change the Wild Bolt spell based on this research.

Wild Bolt will now have 70% accuracy and do 10, 100, or 1000 damage.

We will continue to monitor how this impacts the balance of the game, as well as listen to all players feedback.

We ask that you take some time to play with this version of Wild Bolt before jumping to conclusions. It's truly a Wild Bolt now!

All posts regarding this change MUST go in this thread, other posts will not be approved. Let's keep it civilized, constructive and creative please.

If you are going to keep wild bolt this way, I have some change ideas.
1.Halstrom Balestrom says, "Congratulations! You can now learn your first pathetic spell!"
2. When you talk to him, he says, "Since this spell is so pathetic, you don't have to do anything and you get 10000 experience just to talk to me and learn this spell!"
3. The spell name because "useless", "pathetic",or "pointless" bolt instead of wild bolt.
4. Leviathan does 1530 and removes wards, not charms.
5. Ignore everything else i said, keep wild bolt as it is, except it gives you health equal to the damage dealt, which is usually fair because it rarely does even 100 let alone 1000.
6. If all else fails, remove wild (sorry I mean pathetic) bolt from the game and give us a healing spell or a damge over time spell.
Please know I am not insulting KI's change, I just don't like it, and to any who cares I am a storm wizard.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Each and every post is read, and we are listening.

I know you aren't going to respond to my post, but I feel that you are contradicting yourself here. You say you are listening, then you demonstrate that you aren't going to listen to what we are saying.

What we have almost unanimously been saying, is that the problem with Wild Bolt was in PvP. Yet the "fix" has negatively impacted the vast majority of players who don't give a darn about PvP, never do PvP, and used Wild Bolt on the PvE streets of the sprial. You listened to a tiny minority who don't play the game and gave them what they wanted, without considering even for a moment the silent majority and what they need to survive in the actual GAME.

You're listening? ... You held a poll and completely disregarded the results! Over 2 out of 3 said they do not want Wild Bolt changed! But then you try to tell us you're "listening." Yeah, sure. In reality, you're listening to only 30% and ignoring the other 70% .

Separate out PvP and fix their issues separately. For example, you could put it on a separate login and place unique restrictions on spells and equipment with that login. Or put PvP on a different server with the different rules and restrictions. Or just put an accuracy restriction on that spell across the board---no enchantments or enhancements beyond 20% from equipment.

The point is, I'm sure you can find some way to address PvP problems without screwing it up for those of us who are actually playing the game, questing, and need our spells to survive battles and level up. Show us that you really are listening, and not just patting us on the head while you ignore what we're saying.

Seriously, when it comes to customer service, you need to appease the majority of your customers who are playing the whole game ... not the 30% that are spending their time on one tiny subset of the whole game.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2009
We've listened to our community, done internal balance testing and had exhaustive discussions about the spell Wild Bolt, and have change the Wild Bolt spell based on this research.

We will continue to monitor how this impacts the balance of the game, as well as listen to all players feedback.

We ask that you take some time to play with this version of Wild Bolt before jumping to conclusions. It's truly a Wild Bolt now!

All posts regarding this change MUST go in this thread, other posts will not be approved. Let's keep it civilized, constructive and creative please.

Can you just change the damage of Wild Bolt even more. A lot of people do not like the new wild bolt.

It's truly a Wild Bolt now!

And no, It is not truly a wild bolt. It is very useless because it rarely does 1000 Damage. Most people loved it how it was and most (or all) want it back how it was. So please KI, just change it back how it was and you can make the game better for our fellow diviners! :D

Survivor
Aug 03, 2010
Freshta wrote:
Each and every post is read, and we are listening.

I know you aren't going to respond to my post, but I feel that you are contradicting yourself here. You say you are listening, then you demonstrate that you aren't going to listen to what we are saying.

What we have almost unanimously been saying, is that the problem with Wild Bolt was in PvP. Yet the "fix" has negatively impacted the vast majority of players who don't give a darn about PvP, never do PvP, and used Wild Bolt on the PvE streets of the sprial. You listened to a tiny minority who don't play the game and gave them what they wanted, without considering even for a moment the silent majority and what they need to survive in the actual GAME.

You're listening? ... You held a poll and completely disregarded the results! Over 2 out of 3 said they do not want Wild Bolt changed! But then you try to tell us you're "listening." Yeah, sure. In reality, you're listening to only 30% and ignoring the other 70% .

Separate out PvP and fix their issues separately. For example, you could put it on a separate login and place unique restrictions on spells and equipment with that login. Or put PvP on a different server with the different rules and restrictions. Or just put an accuracy restriction on that spell across the board---no enchantments or enhancements beyond 20% from equipment.

The point is, I'm sure you can find some way to address PvP problems without screwing it up for those of us who are actually playing the game, questing, and need our spells to survive battles and level up. Show us that you really are listening, and not just patting us on the head while you ignore what we're saying.

Seriously, when it comes to customer service, you need to appease the majority of your customers who are playing the whole game ... not the 30% that are spending their time on one tiny subset of the whole game.

I liked your post but i just wanted to add that, in PVE there should not be any accuracy restriction at all (you mentioned a 20% cap across the board, did you mean in PVP only?). In a earlier post, i talked about how my Wild Bolt pre-Celestia, had a 40% accuracy bonus from my GM Gear, Pet bonus, and using Keen Eyes cards on my bolts. I generally would have a successful Wild Bolt 1 out of 2 attempts, sometimes it would be 1 out of 3. That is why i think Storm Wizards in PVE are so upset, im sure many others had similar stats as i have listed about accuracy, and it was all taken away with the changes made.

If there were a 20% accuracy cap on the spell in PVE, then the spell would lose its luster a bit. One of the things i had FUN doing as a Storm Wizard, was collecting all the important accuracy bonus items, and spending countless hours (AND CROWNS...) leveling up pets so i could HAVE a accuracy high enough to make my Wild Bolt fun to use.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
I liked your post but i just wanted to add that, in PVE there should not be any accuracy restriction at all (you mentioned a 20% cap across the board, did you mean in PVP only?).

No, I meant across the board, and here's why:

The problem is in PvP, true. The fix has to satisfy the majority of players and also be one that is easy to implement from a computer programming perspective. Looking at it from a programming angle, restoring the spell and capping its accuracy is an easy fix that will mostly satisfy both PvP players and PvE storm wizards.

The consideration of programming is why I also suggested a separate PvP login or server. I'm not an expert, but I do recognize that there are challenges to changing spells and trying to put the change on only one area of the game but not others. A separate PvP login would help KI make changes unique for PvP that don't affect the regular game. (And considering that there are several other complaints coming from PvP members, this is something that KI does need to figure out. A separate login would give them a much expanded space to adjust PvP to its players' needs.)

But maybe that's not possible, to change the spell only for PvP or to create separate logins. I understand that it may not be possible to change Wild Bolt just for PvP and leave it alone otherwise. If that's the case, I would appreciate KI admitting it.

But then, the simplest solution is to leave Wild Bolt the way that it was and cap the accuracy for everyone. Then everyone will be mostly happy and the strategy aspects of Wild Bolt will remain. It will just be more of a long-shot (which it was meant to be anyway).

I can certainly appreciate the complexity of the problem KI has in addressing this concern. I just don't think that they handled it the best way possible. An easier solution was at hand (capping accuracy, just as they capped stunning), would have been more popular judging by the poll and this thread, and yet it was not pursued.

I can only hope this discussion will change their decision.

Survivor
Dec 19, 2008
I still don't like wild bolt. the 10 or 100 part is WAY too weak for a storm person. I liked it the way it was before, i was really lucky when it came to wild bolts. Please, KI, change wild bolt to the way it was before. What made you want change it in the first place? I'll be (and many others) will be angry if you don't change it back

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
!000 Damage is too much for a two pip spell. Those who have been sucessfully bolted four times in a row know that sniper bolts create a problem in pvp. Why should a seven pip lvl 58 spell hit for less than a sniper bolt for two pips that hits at a better accuracy. Geesh alot of people crying in this thread, keep it down plz. They FIXED the game because it was broken. Old bolt fine for questing, wrong for pvp. So many storm Wizards built their strategy around it. KI made wild bolt how it was intended to be used, as a chance spell, not a sniper in site. THANK YOU KI

Survivor
Apr 03, 2009
The only guy I had left that I enjoyed playing was my storm wizard. I do not pvp but I do use the wild bolt frequently in my deck. A fizzle just builds up pips for storm lord or it actually hits and takes out one of the bad guys. With the changes now, it will burn 2 pips to get such a low damage, it is useless. Makes me not really want to play the storm guy anymore. Since it was the last one left that I enjoyed, looks like the account might just be going too (3 account family subscription). This may sound drastic for just changing one spell, but this was the last straw for me.

Delver
Mar 15, 2009
Cortana99 wrote:

Also I want to point out that we are not commenting on posts because we want this to be a civilized discussion between our players. Each and every post is read, and we are listening.

I mean no disrespect, but how can KI honestly anticipate not reverting Wild Bolt back, when the changes made have caused this much of an uproar within the community? Does the community not matter? Cause that is honestly what i am hearing from KI. The uproar is not limited to just this web site, read other sites like Wizard101Central, where there are petitions to get Wild Bolt back to its pre-Celestia form, and countless other furious players who do not have paying accounts, so they have to post and rant on other sites.

Cortana I like you!
Everything you said here ive been trying to say as well,but I think you have said it a 100times better then myself.
I am with you a 100%

Michael RedBlood Granddeath

Survivor
Aug 18, 2010
i agree, you guys just made wild bolt useless for anyone, why would we use a spell that does so little damage? wild bolt is useless now!
sure people use it less in pvp and its fair, but you guys could have just banned that spell from pvp, but we storm wizards NEED that spell for reguar battles, so we can beat the monsters faster

wild bolt is now useless and ruined

Survivor
Jul 10, 2010
arollison wrote:
I think the change is adequate and fair, and I will tell you why. There is no other school that has the opportunity to do 1000+ damage with 2 pips. I am a balance gm and I have to wait 5 rounds (if I get power pips each round) to hit judgment at 1000, not including gear, pet and boosts.

If you were to change wild bolt back to its original state, I would not be upset, however, I believe requiring more pips would even things out. Perhaps since all the storms are complaining (even though they have lord and triton), KI will change the bolt back to its original state. If they do, I hope they will require more pips. It takes the other schools building up pips to do any damage too.

i agree with this kinda becuse i am a ice student and we will never ever geta chanse to hite 1000 with any cards and also i think that it should come back but with more pips to.

Survivor
Jun 23, 2009
I am a lvl. 49 storm wiz and I screamed when I saw the new wild bolt card. I will tell you why, loud and clear...

IT's USELESS!!!

All these PVPers don't realize that wild bolt DOES already have disadvantages. It may do 1000 damage, but it has an accuracy of 10%. Now KI replaces this perfectly fair spell with a lame card that even if it hits, does 10 or 100 most of the time. This means that not only does it do nearly nothing, it wastes 2 pips AND all of those blades and traps you used to prepare for it. I used to use Wild Bolt to wipe out bosses with my friend. we would stack traps and it wouldn't matter if it missed once or twice because it wouldn't take all the traps. I could just use another one. But now, you change it because some PVPers who have already finished the game are whining about it? Imagine, other schools, if Tower Shield only shielded one random school? Or if Judgement did half the damage it normally would. Not happy is it?

I understand what KI is trying to do here, and I respect that. But I do not believe this is the correct way to handle it. There have been plenty of great suggestions in previous posts, plus if you didn't notice, 62% of the people HATED the new bolt. KI is saying they are listening, but what's the point if your not even going to consider what we are saying?

Thank you KI for this great game and all you do for us Wizards. I hope you'll realize the grave mistake you've made...

Blaze Thundertalon-Master of Storm lvl. 49

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
Squire
Jun 19, 2009
And no you do not listen to us. Wildbolt would have changed by now if you do. Why change it? IT WAS PERFECT BEFORE

James Skull Wielder legendary
necromancer
~Death is the future life is the past~

Survivor
Aug 03, 2010
Diamickarry wrote:
The only guy I had left that I enjoyed playing was my storm wizard. I do not pvp but I do use the wild bolt frequently in my deck. A fizzle just builds up pips for storm lord or it actually hits and takes out one of the bad guys. With the changes now, it will burn 2 pips to get such a low damage, it is useless. Makes me not really want to play the storm guy anymore. Since it was the last one left that I enjoyed, looks like the account might just be going too (3 account family subscription). This may sound drastic for just changing one spell, but this was the last straw for me.

I understand your pain, trust me. I have not played my Storm Wizard since Celestia came out, was my only char. I have two weeks left on my account, i only use it to come on the forums and try to show KI how seriously they destroyed PVE for the Wild Bolt loving Storm wizards. I hope i see a ray of light before times up so i can keep playing.

Survivor
Nov 16, 2009
darthjt wrote:
gtarhannon wrote:
darthjt wrote:

I propose, since this is the route KI wants to take against storm wizards, that KI also takes out any and all storm shields. There is no Balance shield, and since our health is that low and our accuracy is that low, it would only be fitting if people can only tower shield against us. Yeah, that sounds like a fair trade for our wonderful Wild Bolt Spell. All in favor, please post.

Oh, and all you people that say, no storm is too powerful, this and that, you have health, you have shields, you have your strengths, and nobody is taking anything away from your wizard, if anything, KI is making Life, Ice, Balance, and Death very dominant in this game.

I agree that wild bolt as it stands now is broken. However, you are acting like its the only spell in your arsenal. You also keep talking about low accuracy, but the precise problem with the original wild bolt is that the new gear in celestia makes storm the MOST accurate class in the game, possibly even immune to black mantle or smoke screen. I understand and sympathize with your frustration. I hope that KI re-thinks this issue. However, I assure you. They aren't making the other classes dominant. They've got their issues and disappointments as well. Its not like they're neutering kraken, stormzilla, triton, storm lord, or the new leviathan.

Yes, I may be going a little overboard with my solution, I will admit that, but that is exactly what KI did with wild bolt now. Ane here is another question, why did KI take a poll if the results did not matter and bolt was going to be changed anyway? Then, We are told, that they were going to continue to listen to this board and evaluate everything that has been said. Well, so far, I think maybe 2 posts have been in favor of this change. The rest dont like it and think it is unfair. Everyone is pretty much in agreement, that Wild Bold is "Useless".

No, they have not taken away kraken, stormzilla, triton, storm lord, or leviathan, "Yet". But with all the complaining on the power of storm, they just might, since we don't fizzle anymore.

Still, every talks about all the accuracy increases in the game, but those increases come with consequences. No Health and No resistances. Also, they require uses of training points. Yet, this is the biggest waste that was incorperated, because why have a spell to increase accuracy of 20% for 4 rounds and Unstoppable card for +30% accuracy? out of all the spells, 70% accuracy is the lowest accuracy now that they have made bolt useless, so these enhancements are now useless also.

One final thought, you say that KI is not making other schools dominant. A few examples of other schools dominance.
ICE- Thought to be weakest class? Ice Blade amulet +45%, Ice Blade +40%, Elemental Blade +35%, Dragon Blade +30% (and if you like to spend a little gold (Treasure card Elemental Blade +40 %), and this is just in blades, not to mention traps, bubble, and feints, or gargatuan! Need I say more? Plus Ice has tower shield and Resistance to ALL! and High Health!

Life, I love life, and hate to do this, but Wow, Life is Powerful, Life can now heal, attack individuals with power ( Centaur ) or Attack all with power ( Forest Lord). I wont even get into their blades and increases, but it is powerful and they are healers. Simply awesome.

Balance, well, have you seen the new epic gear? Enchanted cards with increase to accuracy and resist all. Give Balance another feint to it's spells that already player do not have a shield against, and talk about massive killing quick. I can go on, considering, Dragon Blade +30%, Balance Blade +25%, Hex +30% and 2 feints is Overkill on any character and would only require half of the pips, not all 14.

Death. Well, all schools can use secondary feint, so I will leave death alone, but death has always been powerful with ability to have great minions, heal when attacking, and now, with Skeletal Dragon, Shields are no good too. NICE.

I disagree. Storm is still the most powerful school. I'm not seeing anyone pull average multihits at 3k damage. But my storm is. I'm also not seeing anyone have to give up , like you said, a ton of one thing for another. By my storm is. And why bother with critical hit gear when there is almost always a dramatic sacrifice of either health or accuracy or both? Just for a CHANCE that we might get what? a 30% increase in damage? We're STORM. Critical hit gear is decidedly NOT for storm. Stick with what you know, and that's massive damage, and don't sacrifice your accuracy (or waste a training point) for the lousy gear or the star school. It was handy for a while, but now that I'm 58, I'm gonna have to retrain my points because I thought all the good gear was gonna be, for lack of a better word, "geared" towards critical hit and block. Unwise, I admit, on my part, but hey, I was excited about the new schools. I say Sun school for storm, Moon for balance, life, maybe myth, and Star for everything else? Can't say for sure yet, so don't criticize.

Survivor
Nov 16, 2009
I agree. I've taken it out of my deck completely. Pretty pointless when I have Leviathan hitting 1050 for sure, complete with the removal of an enemy's blades. Even so, removing the blades is pretty redundant considering that 9/10 I'm gonna kill on first hit. Then again, I never structured my whole strategy around Wild Bolt anyway.

CoopKoda wrote:
I still don't think you have made the right adjustment to this spell. The 10 and 100 are just unrealistic for this spell which was one of Storms mysterious spells.

This spell should be changed to only 2 possible hits, 500 and 1000. The accuracy lowered to 50% and capped with no ability for it to be enchanted or affected by gear.

There is no point to a spell being in Storms spell book if they are never gonna use it, and with the current way it's been changed, it's not likely anyone will.

Defender
Jun 04, 2009
I think that this, even though is random, is good.

Why? Because now the accurancy is up, and you won't use a card and have it fizzle. There is more of a change a spell ill get out. Instead of no spell if it fizzles at 10%, now there is a bigger chance you won't fizzle at 70%.

When the old Wild Bolt fizzled, which there was a good chace it would, you got no spell. Now, with 70%, there is more a chance that you'll actually get a spell. I asked myslef a couple seconds ago while reading this, "Would I rather have no spell or a spell, even if it is only 10 damage?"

Lets say there is a bad guy with 700 health. You use the old wild bolt. Nothing, a fizzle. He still has 700 health.
Now you use the new wild bolt, and it comes out as 10. He has 690 health left. If you got 100 first, then he would have 600 health left.

So now I suppose I'm asking you: "Would you rather have no spell at all, or a spell, even if there is only 10 damage?"

Defender
Feb 19, 2009
Hmm. A Kingsisle member has yet to reply to MOST of the important points that most people mentioned on here. I wonder what they could be doing other than not caring about PVE( rather the majority of the people in-game.) Why must they put PvP and PvE together? They are both very different concecpts and to the point that it seems they hardly care about at least 50% of the customers (PvE supporters) , it just seems totally neglectful. If you would rather listen to the lesser majority of people in the game as opposed to the majority of people, then you obviously are gonna lose customers and that is what's happening now. Wake up and realize what is happening to the game you created KI, before it's too late.