Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spelling and Grammar: Why They're Important

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
kyoushiro wrote:

It's english, not English. ;)

I learned that you capitalize languages as well as nationalities/countires.

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
starwarsguy765 wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I'm done with trying to respond to a comment or question, but can't because I can hardly read your comment or question. Is it really that much work to use proper spelling and grammar (this includes punctuation as well)? I know that the majority of people who post in the Forum are kids who will respond saying, "This is the Internet! We can spell however we want to, no matter how uneducated it makes us look!" However, that's no excuse for butchering the English language so badly that you become completely incoherent. I think a solution to this problem would be if KI added a Spelling and Grammar option to the Forum. Of course the easier solution would be to pay attention in English class, but the first solution seems more likely to actually happen.

way to rub your "vast amount of vocabulary" in our faces

Way to exaggerate. AkihiroHattori5 has used one - two at the most - words that the average person should be capable of comprehending (the definite word is "incoherent" and the possible word is "butchering"). We all know what the other words mean (and a good deal of us are learned in the lingual arts to such a degree as to comprehend the questionable fragments of vocabulary. Oh, THAT'S actually not "rubbing a vast amount of vocabulary" in your faces either).

On the off chance that someone doesn't, I recommend doing something positively, astoundingly rare: use this type of book known as a "dictionary." This "dictionary" book contains information on the English language (yes, it's capitalized). (Sorry. I have gone so long without letting the bottled-up sarcasm out that I couldn't take it anymore without breaking something, like a forum rule. :P )

Defender
Jul 21, 2010
FoxFyr wrote:
starwarsguy765 wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I'm done with trying to respond to a comment or question, but can't because I can hardly read your comment or question. Is it really that much work to use proper spelling and grammar (this includes punctuation as well)? I know that the majority of people who post in the Forum are kids who will respond saying, "This is the Internet! We can spell however we want to, no matter how uneducated it makes us look!" However, that's no excuse for butchering the English language so badly that you become completely incoherent. I think a solution to this problem would be if KI added a Spelling and Grammar option to the Forum. Of course the easier solution would be to pay attention in English class, but the first solution seems more likely to actually happen.

way to rub your "vast amount of vocabulary" in our faces

Way to exaggerate. AkihiroHattori5 has used one - two at the most - words that the average person should be capable of comprehending (the definite word is "incoherent" and the possible word is "butchering"). We all know what the other words mean (and a good deal of us are learned in the lingual arts to such a degree as to comprehend the questionable fragments of vocabulary. Oh, THAT'S actually not "rubbing a vast amount of vocabulary" in your faces either).

On the off chance that someone doesn't, I recommend doing something positively, astoundingly rare: use this type of book known as a "dictionary." This "dictionary" book contains information on the English language (yes, it's capitalized). (Sorry. I have gone so long without letting the bottled-up sarcasm out that I couldn't take it anymore without breaking something, like a forum rule. :P )
Sorry FoxFyr and Akihiro Hattori5 for being mean but it wasnt meant to be offensive :(

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
I would just like to take this opportunity to say that I support this thread and its contributors. Though I myself am most certainly a frequent offender of spelling, grammar, punctuation, and "staying on topic", I at least try (though perhaps not as much as I should with the "on topic" thing) to give my post one read through before I click the submit button. Always feel free to correct me. Having said that, I would like to take the conversation to the "why its important" side of things.

When issuing a "scathing rebuttal" in a forum thread, particularly one where the crux of your argument boils down to "you are smarter than everyone else and therefore don't need to provide any sound proof", it does tend to dampen the perceived veracity of your argument when you can't spell. Poor grammar and punctuation exacerbate that as well, though, I would argue not to as high a degree. Let's face it, public schools aren't what they used to be. :) Regardless, both on forums and in real life, spelling counts. Whether or not someone comes in to correct you, poor spelling and grammar will be judged by others and they will make assumptions about you and your level of intellect because of it. That's just how it is.

Finally, at the risk of reigniting the "manners" war, I have never witnessed any of the primary contributors of this thread attacking anyone's spelling and grammar unless someone first took a hostile tone with them. Certainly, when one chooses to throw down the gauntlet instead of continuing to converse in a civilized manner, one has to expect the sting of the one/two slap of spelling and grammar regarding one's own challenge. Instead of focusing on the "wrongful" enforcement of our dear spellers in blue (you like what I did there? :D ), perhaps you should focus your finely honed etiquette skills on the infractions of hot headed flame war participants who seem to like nothing better than to belittle and scream at anyone who presents a fact that challenges their world view.

Well, I think that about wraps up this particular train of thought. Let me just leave you, my fellow cyber-citizens, with this parting thought. How can you mean what you say if you can't say what you mean?

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
gtarhannon wrote:
I would just like to take this opportunity to say that I support this thread and its contributors. Though I myself am most certainly a frequent offender of spelling, grammar, punctuation, and "staying on topic", I at least try (though perhaps not as much as I should with the "on topic" thing) to give my post one read through before I click the submit button. Always feel free to correct me. Having said that, I would like to take the conversation to the "why its important" side of things.

When issuing a "scathing rebuttal" in a forum thread, particularly one where the crux of your argument boils down to "you are smarter than everyone else and therefore don't need to provide any sound proof", it does tend to dampen the perceived veracity of your argument when you can't spell. Poor grammar and punctuation exacerbate that as well, though, I would argue not to as high a degree. Let's face it, public schools aren't what they used to be. :) Regardless, both on forums and in real life, spelling counts. Whether or not someone comes in to correct you, poor spelling and grammar will be judged by others and they will make assumptions about you and your level of intellect because of it. That's just how it is.

Finally, at the risk of reigniting the "manners" war, I have never witnessed any of the primary contributors of this thread attacking anyone's spelling and grammar unless someone first took a hostile tone with them. Certainly, when one chooses to throw down the gauntlet instead of continuing to converse in a civilized manner, one has to expect the sting of the one/two slap of spelling and grammar regarding one's own challenge. Instead of focusing on the "wrongful" enforcement of our dear spellers in blue (you like what I did there? :D ), perhaps you should focus your finely honed etiquette skills on the infractions of hot headed flame war participants who seem to like nothing better than to belittle and scream at anyone who presents a fact that challenges their world view.

Well, I think that about wraps up this particular train of thought. Let me just leave you, my fellow cyber-citizens, with this parting thought. How can you mean what you say if you can't say what you mean?

*bows to you* You are one of the most profound posters in this forum, and thank you so much for resurrecting this post. By the way, yes I did like what you did there lol.

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

Dude give us a break. in school we need to do everything perfect so does this stuff really have to matter in a game?

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
DavidStronghunter1... wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

Dude give us a break. in school we need to do everything perfect so does this stuff really have to matter in a game?

Ah. But there's the rub my dear reader. Right now, you aren't in a game. You're trying to communicate with others about a game. Quite a difference if you think about it.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

*bows to you* You are one of the most profound posters in this forum, and thank you so much for resurrecting this post. By the way, yes I did like what you did there lol.

Well thank you. :) By the by, I like your handle. Is it from something or just a name you happen to like?

Delver
Mar 18, 2010

It is all about how we present ourselves to the world. Sorry, but others judge you on how you present yourself. That includes how you look, speak, act and write. In the job market all of that is critical. First impressions (especially negative ones) are extremely hard to overcome.

In game I am very lazy about capitalization and punctuation. (Part of it is I am a very poor typist.) On these boards I try very hard to get it right. My words speak of my character. My character is very important to me.

My Mom was a teacher and minored in English. She had me diagramming sentences for "fun" in grade school. I learned a lot from that. I also had to write any spelling words I misspelled tem times. Mom always said good grammar and spelling were very important and she was right!

I make mistakes. I don't mind at all if folks correct me. I need the brush up. School is far in my past.

I found this thread very interesting.

Megan

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

Ah. But there's the rub my dear reader. Right now, you aren't in a game. You're trying to communicate with others about a game. Quite a difference if you think about it.

Still i dont like people telling me to do this outside of school. you sound like my teachers.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

Still i dont like people telling me to do this outside of school. you sound like my teachers.

That's quite understandable. However, the author of this thread was kind enough to make a totally separate thread, completely decoupled from any association with any one person or specific instance of offense (grammatical or otherwise). Therefore, it becomes more a cautionary tale vs. a lecture directed at you. Well, at least until you became one with the thread. :) Be wary young reader, for while you stare into the abyss, the abyss is staring back at you.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Firefan02 wrote:

My Mom was a teacher and minored in English. She had me diagramming sentences for "fun" in grade school.

And behold, the beast stepped forward from the darkness, its many and varied heads listing above and below the line of rule. Vast were the number of heads and on the lips of each one a single word. Terror gripped me and tore at the very core of my being, for I know the name of mine enemy. That name is "diagramming sentences".

LOL. On a much less biblical sounding note, I think that is a lost art, and something that should be a primary component of public school curriculum again.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010

you care so much bout spelling and grammar huh well you misspelled ten!!! and in a game that stuff doesnt matter!!!!! Give us a break!!!!!!!!!!!!

While I don't want to speak for her, I took it as an intentional misspelling as designated by the . It would seem to me to lean toward a reminiscent moment at an age which is renowned for consonant confusion. Regardless, no one is saying you don't make occasional typos. What we are saying is that many these days (if not most) don't even attempt to spell anything correctly. Again, misspelling and grammar in the game is clearly more acceptable, but I would argue with the statement that it doesn't matter.

Certainly, texts the caliber of Shakespeare are not necessary, however clear and concise direction can be the difference between your group winning and your group losing. Just ask a menu chat kid how he feels when people can't understand them and are subsequently removed because people become frustrated trying to talk to them... Oh, that's right. They can't respond. While sarcastic, I hope that last bit illustrates how important being heard is to everyone.

You are obviously young, and astute enough not to just gloss over this thread, merely dismissing it as a bunch of "old people" complaining about the youth of today. I urge you not to squander your privilege of communication on half formed thoughts, fragmented logic, and texts so poorly constructed as to require the reader to hold a masters degree in cryptography to decipher your meaning. I have read many of your posts and you seem to have quite a bit of promise. No rational person expects perfection, we merely hope to strive for it. I sincerely hope this helps to explain a more weathered perspective on the matter for you.

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
gtarhannon wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

There are pretty much two options on the boards, grammatically speaking. The first option is to use proper grammar and spelling. The second is to belt out the "ima avrige joe" song (or at least appear to be in that range of eloquence - and, yes, that is misspelled on purpose).

Also, what's wrong with wanting posts on this forum to be clearly legible?

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
gtarhannon wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

Well thank you. :) By the by, I like your handle. Is it from something or just a name you happen to like?

I think "Akihiro Hattori" MIGHT be something from a foreign language (the spelling and probable pronunciation lead me to suspect Japanese).

At any rate, your post was to the point about our point. Well done.

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
Firefan02 wrote:

It is all about how we present ourselves to the world. Sorry, but others judge you on how you present yourself. That includes how you look, speak, act and write. In the job market all of that is critical. First impressions (especially negative ones) are extremely hard to overcome.

In game I am very lazy about capitalization and punctuation. (Part of it is I am a very poor typist.) On these boards I try very hard to get it right. My words speak of my character. My character is very important to me.

My Mom was a teacher and minored in English. She had me diagramming sentences for "fun" in grade school. I learned a lot from that. I also had to write any spelling words I misspelled tem times. Mom always said good grammar and spelling were very important and she was right!

I make mistakes. I don't mind at all if folks correct me. I need the brush up. School is far in my past.

I found this thread very interesting.

Megan

you care so much bout spelling and grammar huh well you misspelled ten!!! and in a game that stuff doesnt matter!!!!! Give us a break!!!!!!!!!!!!

FireFan02 did concede that her spelling and grammar usage may display an error or two. You want us to "give you a break?" You, and people with similar sentiments on the matter, are already treating this forum like a break - a chance to get away from social etiquette (which does involve the employment of proper English). Total strangers - a few million of them - can see your posts; ergo, this is no break from social etiquette.

Also, as someone pointed out, this isn't a game. This is a comment forum created for the use of players to discuss the game. That's "quite a difference, if you think about it."

Third, even in a game, how you speak can make a difference in the way others see you. Let's put it this way: if Wizard A says "I will defeat you all. Expect no mercy," in the Arena as "i will pwn u all except no mercy" and Wizard B says it as "I will defeat you all. Expect no mercy," who are you going to think of as more rational and intelligent, based on those lines of dialogue?

Delver
Jul 20, 2009
Aww, and if they had no good grammar, I still could understand them. (I am a internet person, I understand most things...). And yes, I am really lazy with my grammar and spelling sometimes, err, when I'm really bored. I don't use good spelling or grammar in the game. Some people shortens words (like I do) and I don't my check spelling (sometimes). I don't think we will need a Spelling and Grammar button (or whatever it is, I have a really bad memory), people should know when they spelled something wrong, because people does know good grammar and spelling, well some people does, OR they can look it up on Google or Microsoft Word for the right way of putting the words in a sentence/spelling them. This is just my opinion.
EDIT: If you spell a word wrong, left click it, and a dictionary will appear, like the ones in some programs like Microsoft office, click on the word you want and it will spell it for you.

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
[

LOL you got me. I will type ten ten times. My typing skills or rather lack of them contribute to my typos. Normally I proof read stuff. I did not do that when I responded to you.

Like I said in game I am very lazy. On these boards and in real life I try very hard. I still make dumb mistakes.

It is important how one presents ones self to the world.

Megan

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
nijac wrote:
Aww, and if they had no good grammar, I still could understand them. (I am a internet person, I understand most things...).

No one is saying we can't understand them. With the proper amount of time and persistence, most everyone can come to understand just about everything. What I believe we are saying is why should we have to work so hard to do so?

nijac wrote:

And yes, I am really lazy with my grammar and spelling sometimes, err, when I'm really bored. I don't use good spelling or grammar in the game. Some people shortens words (like I do) and I don't my check spelling (sometimes). I don't think we will need a Spelling and Grammar button (or whatever it is, I have a really bad memory), people should know when they spelled something wrong, because people does know good grammar and spelling, well some people does, OR they can look it up on Google or Microsoft Word for the right way of putting the words in a sentence/spelling them. This is just my opinion.

Yes, yes, we're all lazy here. Welcome to the human condition. Let me tell you why a truly lazy person cares about spelling and grammar... because we absolutely detest putting the effort into repeating ourselves. There is such a thing as good lazy, as well as the standard bad lazy. Strive to be good lazy. As a colossally lazy person myself, let me affirm to you that it is the laziest of the two.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
FoxFyr wrote:

There are pretty much two options on the boards, grammatically speaking. The first option is to use proper grammar and spelling. The second is to belt out the "ima avrige joe" song (or at least appear to be in that range of eloquence - and, yes, that is misspelled on purpose).

Also, what's wrong with wanting posts on this forum to be clearly legible?

So, I was sitting here thinking about this post (which is a rather sound observation by the way). How is it that being an average Joe became an excuse to butcher the language? I'm an average Joe. I attended public school in a small town and I have never been to college. As I think about it more, I have definitely met many college educated people who cannot spell their way out of paper bag, and whose grasp of grammar is quite frankly atrocious. *ponders* Well that tears it... I'm forced to conclude that being an average Joe isn't a legitimate excuse for consistently poor grammar and spelling. I posted earlier about good lazy and bad lazy. Consider this to be a public service announcement... Always choose good lazy!

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
im surprised they let you post something that doesnt have anything to do with the game

*wink* I'm just going to let you think about that one for a bit... :)

Survivor
Sep 06, 2008
wizard10123488 wrote:
I agree, I read a lot of topics and stuff. I saw this one post and the guy forgot to put spaces in between so i couldnt reed it. Thank you so much for bringing this up :D
UGH! if your going to post in a thing that is about spelling & grammer then spell reAd right not reEd

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
Firefan02 wrote:
[

LOL you got me. I will type ten ten times. My typing skills or rather lack of them contribute to my typos. Normally I proof read stuff. I did not do that when I responded to you.

Like I said in game I am very lazy. On these boards and in real life I try very hard. I still make dumb mistakes.

It is important how one presents ones self to the world.

Megan

on the boards im lazy irl i dont make any mistakes and you can ask my teachers to prove it well not all the time lol o and i didnt proof read so i mite have mistakes

Glad to hear you do well in school. :)

I have been noticing (since you caught me) I consistently have been misspelling ten and many other words. I got a new desktop and have switched from my laptop to it. The keyboard is really different and that has made me a typo queen. LOL I am having to re-train my fingers, as the keyboard is larger.

It has made for much amusement amongst my friends and quite a lot of ribbing aimed at me. They are becoming quite good at deciphering my typo laden babble.

Megan

Survivor
Sep 30, 2010
catboy2197 wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I'm done with trying to respond to a comment or question, but can't because I can hardly read your comment or question. Is it really that much work to use proper spelling and grammar? I know that the majority of people who post in the Forum are kids who will respond saying, "This is the Internet! We can spell however we want to, no matter how uneducated it makes me look!" However, that's no excuse for butchering the English language so badly that you become completely incoherent. I think a solution to this problem would be if KI added a Spelling and Grammar option to the Forum. Of course the easier solution would be to pay attention in English class, but the first solution seems more likely to actually happen.

So true.

In the interest of time, i normally leave out things like apostrophes, capitals, and sometimes punctuation. But i would agree with what you are saying; nobody wants to read this: Wnna cme over 2 my house? i has a big ms 1 wit lotsa craftin things

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
@gtarhannon: Thanks, it's my old Japanese name from my HS Japanese class. I don't know what I was thinking when I chose the name, but now I hate it and I've changed it to Junichi Daitoku. Sadly, I can't update my handle, so instead of being the "obedient first son of great virtue", I'm stuck being the "bright, broad, clothing guild". Anyway, thank you for sticking it to the non-believers and keeping hope alive. I'm surprised you're not a college graduate! I guess I'm one of the people who have been led to believe that only college graduates use proper grammar and diction. You have definitely set me straight. By the way, diagramming sentences isn't as "lost" an art as you think: I've been doing them for past week in my Linguistics class...

@FireFan02: My mom's roommate (and probably the reason why I'm such a grammar fanatic) would make me write and say every spelling word TEM times when she babysat me back in 3rd grade. Every Spelling and Grammar homework assignment had to be immaculate. She didn't give a hoot (for lack of a better word) about Science, History, or Math; if I messed up Spelling and Grammar there was not a rock I could hide under. Stories like these are the ones that haunt me...lol jkjk I guess I'm a better person for it.

@FoxFyr: Well deduced, and you bring up a good point on proper spelling and grammar = rationality and intelligence.

@nijac: ...So what about those of us who aren't internet people? Like gtarhannon said we're not looking for Shakespeare (especially since he didn't speak contemporary English lol); we're lazy and we just want to be able to read a post once without having to wonder what the poster was trying to say. Is that really too much to ask? By the way, I'm guessing it took you a couple of seconds to go from finishing reading my post to posting a reply. A goldfish can still remember what I said in that time frame, so why couldn't you?

@DavidStronghunter: How dare you even try to play the victim. Carrying on saying, "I don't like people telling me what to do outside of school," and "In a game that stuff doesn't matter." First, if you haven't noticed we're in the Forums, not the actual game. In Wizard101, I don't care how you type because I can always ask you what you said and have you respond in two seconds. We don't have that luxury here. Second, no one mentioned you before you decided to post on here, so why are you talking to us like we're talking about you behind your back and making an example of you? Even though you most clearly are, none of the posters even mentioned your name, and if we had without you here the thread would've been thrown out. A word of advice: think before you type.