Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spelling and Grammar: Why They're Important

AuthorMessage
Hero
Jan 24, 2010
maybe me and dan are sticking up for each other how old is your so like 28 if he is close to that he aint part of the generaton face it ppl dont care as much of every lil thing like they used to

Well, I'll be seeing an entire generation of "people who don't care as much about every little thing like they used to" in remedial writing in a year or few. Hooray for me :? Just for clarification, what year-of-birth range identifies this "generation" who cares nothing for literacy?

In a way, it's great to know that I will have steady employment into perpetuity. In another way, it's very sad to know that literacy is just a "lil thing".

Oh well, literati, continue the fight. And be certain that your own children are highly literate. They will find an excellent employment market if their competition can't string words together in meaningful arrangements.

Iridian Shadowweaver, Theurgist
Rowan Earthsong, Sorceress
Scarlet Ravensong, Pyromancer
Alexandria Dreamwalker, Conjuress
Moira Shadowmancer, Necromancer

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
DanielThunderFlame... wrote:
4 the 110th time me and david are not theatning u now lay off its not a theat n im gtin anoyed

"For the 110th time David and I are not threatening you, now lay off. It's not a threat, and I'm getting annoyed."

Yeah, it's that easy.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
DavidStronghunter1... wrote:
maybe me and dan are sticking up for each other how old is your so like 28 if he is close to that he aint part of the generaton face it ppl dont care as much of every lil thing like they used to

...and this is exactly what we're talking about! This is gibberish to me. I have no idea what you're saying.

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
4 the 110th time me and david are not theatning u now lay off its not a theat n im gtin anoyed

Oh my! This cracked me up endlessly. Thank you for the good laugh I really needed today.

I am not the only who thinks that. I will change that to attempting to verbally bully me and failing miserably.

If you can't stand the heat in the kitchen get out. In other words when you come in and attempt to bully someone you often get pushed back.

Megan

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
darthjt wrote:
OCD, Obsessive Complusive Disorder! She is a hypocrite for saying that term? You don't comprehend how she could use that term, is that it?

It means, for those of you who don't know; Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness, apprehension, fear, or worry, by repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing anxiety, or by a combination of such thoughts (obsessions) and behaviors (compulsions).

Now, if you don't have OCD, FoxFYR, then how do you know this is offensive to those that do have OCD? Now, if you don't have OCD, which you say you don't, then I can see how you personally can take offense, but how can you speak for others? How do you know that others without OCD took offense to her post? I personally did not, nor did I find it 500 times worse than correcting a post.

Also, I would also like to point out, that no sentence ends using three periods. So, if I may inquire? What makes you think you can correct someone else, when you can not even use proper english yourself?

One last thing, even though I know what it means.

Pwnd? Yeah, I think you are!

Wow, where do I start...oh I know! As for the whole OCD argument: if you have OCD and you're defending MsSandy, there's something very wrong with you. Last time I checked, she used the term "OCD twitchy folks," implying that all people with OCD are Grammar Enforcers and go into convulsions at the sight of a run-on sentence or an incorrect use of 'your', and vice versa. This argument struck a chord with you since I'm guessing you have OCD, but you obviously aren't guilty of what she is accusing you of. What I don't get is why you're taking it out on FoxFyr when the real offender is MsSandy. By the way, this '...' is an ellipsis. It's a grammar mark used to indicate a pause in speech, like the first sentence, or to indicate the intentional omission of a word (as in "darthjt is a complete ... !").

...so yeah, FoxFyr pwnd? No sir, I do believe you are the one that as been pwned.

I really do appreciate the support, but kindly grant me the privilege of fighting my own fights. Thank you.

Delver
Mar 18, 2010

Thanks for the good laugh you provided. I really needed it today.

I bet you are sticking up for each other. I gather you are brothers.

My son is in Junior High. He is squarely in your generation (not generaton) and he uses proper English. Thanks for complimenting his maturity.

Yes people (not ppl) do care just as they always have. My son says he cares about these things. He knows how important they are. He knows they impact his future.

Megan

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

...and this is exactly what we're talking about! This is gibberish to me. I have no idea what you're saying.

i did it on purpose to prove a point

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
queenlybluebean wrote:

Well, I'll be seeing an entire generation of "people who don't care as much about every little thing like they used to" in remedial writing in a year or few. Hooray for me :? Just for clarification, what year-of-birth range identifies this "generation" who cares nothing for literacy?

In a way, it's great to know that I will have steady employment into perpetuity. In another way, it's very sad to know that literacy is just a "lil thing".

Oh well, literati, continue the fight. And be certain that your own children are highly literate. They will find an excellent employment market if their competition can't string words together in meaningful arrangements.

Iridian Shadowweaver, Theurgist
Rowan Earthsong, Sorceress
Scarlet Ravensong, Pyromancer
Alexandria Dreamwalker, Conjuress
Moira Shadowmancer, Necromancer

remedial english?????????????? i not saying i dont do good spelling and grammer irl i just saying i dont do it on these boards face it it nothing but something to discuss a game

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

"For the 110th time David and I are not threatening you, noiw lay off. It's not a threat, and I'm getting annoyed."

Yeah, it's that easy.

were doin this on propose u no

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

We r doin tht on purpose. this doesnt even have anything to do wit the game

Armiger
May 10, 2010
FoxFyr wrote:
darthjt wrote:
FoxFyr wrote:
MsSandy121 wrote:

Yes I agree , that is would in fact make me a hypocrite if I did point fingers. Instead I made a general comment. Seems the only ones who took offense were maybe those who felt maybe they fell into that group? *shrugs*

Nooo... the hypocrisy is... let's see... ah yes, it's your comment about us as "OCD twitchy types." Offensive to those who do have O.C.D. and offensive to those of us here who don't. About 500 times more offensive than making sure someone doesn't make the same mistake twice. By the way, those were assumptions, not general comments (that is to say, the former term fits the situation to a greater degree).

What I still disagree with , is people going on these forums not to give a poster and answer to his/her question , but only to do a spell/gramer check on that post. Its rude and unwanted , and still not your place to judge.

As I said, we do stay on topic when posting; the grammatical errors are pointed out on the side. By the way, it's definitely not your place to judge how we correct others; we are jerks if they are, never anywhere else.

OCD, Obsessive Complusive Disorder! She is a hypocrite for saying that term? You don't comprehend how she could use that term, is that it?

I know quite well what it means and how it could be (as shown here) misused, thank you.

It means, for those of you who don't know; Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness, apprehension, fear, or worry, by repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing anxiety, or by a combination of such thoughts (obsessions) and behaviors (compulsions).

All of which we already knew and all of which was probably copied from the medical site you looked it up on.

Now, if you don't have OCD, FoxFYR, then how do you know this is offensive to those that do have OCD? Now, if you don't have OCD, which you say you don't, then I can see how you personally can take offense, but how can you speak for others? How do you know that others without OCD took offense to her post? I personally did not, nor did I find it 500 times worse than correcting a post.

It's treating OCD as so... well... *crap! What's the word* "insignificant" (That should do it) as to be a descriptor of an everyday person. If you had mental retardation (I am in no way saying that you do), wouldn't you be touchy about people getting referred to so casually as "retarded?"

Also, I would also like to point out, that no sentence ends using three periods. So, if I may inquire? What makes you think you can correct someone else, when you can not even use proper english yourself?

It's called an "ellipsis," and is used to indicate pauses longer than those indicated by a period or comma (think of it as pausing to THINK, as opposed to breathe or end a sentence). What makes you think you can correct someone else's use of English, when you don't even know all the punctuation, the simplest part? I should like to add that "cannot" is one word.

I think you had better check again.

You sure do use a lot of ellipsis, as you call them. Problem is, you show that you are taking time to think about what you are saying, but you are not actually taking that time to think about what you say.

Can not can be combined, yes. This is a normal common american slang word of can't or cannot! But, it does not have to be combined in any way, shape or form, and it will still have the same exact meaning.

And, for the record, if you have not noticed, because of your lack of intelligence, I was not correcting you, I was asking you questions about it.

And yes, you are Pwnd, Severely!

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
Firefan02 wrote:

Oh my! This cracked me up endlessly. Thank you for the good laugh I really needed today.

I am not the only who thinks that. I will change that to attempting to verbally bully me and failing miserably.

If you can't stand the heat in the kitchen get out. In other words when you come in and attempt to bully someone you often get pushed back.

Megan

do you no what bullying means cause that aint bullying

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
Firefan02 wrote:

Thanks for the good laugh you provided. I really needed it today.

I bet you are sticking up for each other. I gather you are brothers.

My son is in Junior High. He is squarely in your generation (not generaton) and he uses proper English. Thanks for complimenting his maturity.

Yes people (not ppl) do care just as they always have. My son says he cares about these things. He knows how important they are. He knows they impact his future.

Megan

took ya that long to figure we bros huh laugh how is do ya laugh at that o he in junior high well sry to figure you being old you have an old child guess i mistaken in that but the rest i not

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
ok i say everything we said again IT ISNT IMPORTANT IN A GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
ok i say everything we said again IT ISNT IMPORTANT IN A GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wrong. Using proper grammar is important everywhere. I don't think anyone insists on perfection,but there is no reason to make yourself look like a dullard.

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
darthjt wrote:
FoxFyr wrote:
darthjt wrote:
FoxFyr wrote:
MsSandy121 wrote:

Yes I agree , that is would in fact make me a hypocrite if I did point fingers. Instead I made a general comment. Seems the only ones who took offense were maybe those who felt maybe they fell into that group? *shrugs*

Nooo... the hypocrisy is... let's see... ah yes, it's your comment about us as "OCD twitchy types." Offensive to those who do have O.C.D. and offensive to those of us here who don't. About 500 times more offensive than making sure someone doesn't make the same mistake twice. By the way, those were assumptions, not general comments (that is to say, the former term fits the situation to a greater degree).

What I still disagree with , is people going on these forums not to give a poster and answer to his/her question , but only to do a spell/gramer check on that post. Its rude and unwanted , and still not your place to judge.

As I said, we do stay on topic when posting; the grammatical errors are pointed out on the side. By the way, it's definitely not your place to judge how we correct others; we are jerks if they are, never anywhere else.

I know quite well what it means and how it could be (as shown here) misused, thank you.

All of which we already knew and all of which was probably copied from the medical site you looked it up on.

It's treating OCD as so... well... *crap! What's the word* "insignificant" (That should do it) as to be a descriptor of an everyday person. If you had mental retardation (I am in no way saying that you do), wouldn't you be touchy about people getting referred to so casually as "retarded?"

It's called an "ellipsis," and is used to indicate pauses longer than those indicated by a period or comma (think of it as pausing to THINK, as opposed to breathe or end a sentence). What makes you think you can correct someone else's use of English, when you don't even know all the punctuation, the simplest part? I should like to add that "cannot" is one word.

I think you had better check again.

You sure do use a lot of ellipsis, as you call them. Problem is, you show that you are taking time to think about what you are saying, but you are not actually taking that time to think about what you say.

First of all, the plural form of "ellipsis" is "ellipses." Secondly, were I not thinking, I would type like David or Daniel.

Can not can be combined, yes. This is a normal common american slang word of can't or cannot! But, it does not have to be combined in any way, shape or form, and it will still have the same exact meaning.

That right there is the first actual rebuttal you have supplied. (Oh, by the way, you should have put quotation marks around the first two words.)

And, for the record, if you have not noticed, because of your lack of intelligence, I was not correcting you, I was asking you questions about it.

You were (falsely) correcting me under the guise of questions. I rather think it is impossible to be unintelligent and be unable to reason that out. For the record, those were educated guesses.

And yes, you are Pwnd, Severely!

And, again, you had better check that.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
FoxFyr wrote:
I really do appreciate the support, but kindly grant me the privilege of fighting my own fights. Thank you.

I'm terribly sorry! I do this all the time. It's just when I see that I can't help but set them straight (or at least attempt to lol).

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009

I'll say THIS yet again: WE AREN'T TALKING ABOUT IN THE GAME!!! We are speaking of the Forum, and the apparent appalling lack of knowledge of the language people are typing in. We are also speaking of an additional feature that could rectify this.

Oh, by the way, it may interest you to know that, as I do not yet have my Bachelor's Degree, I rather think I can be counted among "this generation."

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
Firefan02 wrote:

Megan

do you no what bullying means cause that aint bullying

Hello there! I saw this conversation and couldn't resist joining in.

Hmm...

look if the game didnt even exist the message boards woulnt either. plus you dare YOU say that to me. if you met me irl you would be to scared to say that.

um thats cause you dont know who my friends are and who i am. maybe i caption of wrestling team. maybe my friends can beat people up in one punch, which they dont cause they nice, but they can. and i dont think your nice by the way you talk to me.

Oh, I'm sorry. You were saying?

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
remedial english?????????????? i not saying i dont do good spelling and grammer irl i just saying i dont do it on these boards face it it nothing but something to discuss a game

I'll go out on a limb and say you do have a point there. However, you go to school to learn. If you're not applying what you learn in school to the real world, like most things you learn in school, you'll forget it. That's why people forget advanced math and science; they don't use it on a daily basis unless they're a mathematician (I'm almost certain I spelled that wrong lol) or a scientist. There's no harm in using proper spelling and grammar, and to echo queenlybluebean's point, what I said is what leads to people like you ending up in remedial writing classes in HS and in college. Believe me; I've seen it, and it's not fun.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
i did it on purpose to prove a point

Yeah. Mine!

...or is there something I'm missing here?

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010

You've already said that several times. It was pointed out that this is a forum to talk about a game. If you don't have anything else useful to post or a new point to make, then just stop posting and spare us all your refusal to form a complete thought.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Attention all mature posters:

1. I'd like to thank all the posters on this thread for making it so popular. I thought this was gonna be here today, gone tomorrow when I created the thread, but it's become a hot topic! I appreciate all the posters who took this thread seriously and gave their honest opinion on the matter. Hopefully we're one step closer to not needing to decipher every post we'd like to read and respond to.

2. I'm asking all the serious posters of this thread to please disregard any further posts by the two troublemakers (and you know who they are). They are obviously not here to discuss their ideas in a lucid, civilized way. I'm fully aware I responded to one of them before posting this; that was before I realized that everything we're saying is falling on deaf ears and arguing with them is like arguing with both sides of a brick wall: it's not worth our time or energy.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
FoxFyr wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Wow, where do I start...oh I know! As for the whole OCD argument: if you have OCD and you're defending MsSandy, there's something very wrong with you. Last time I checked, she used the term "OCD twitchy folks," implying that all people with OCD are Grammar Enforcers and go into convulsions at the sight of a run-on sentence or an incorrect use of 'your', and vice versa. This argument struck a chord with you since I'm guessing you have OCD, but you obviously aren't guilty of what she is accusing you of. What I don't get is why you're taking it out on FoxFyr when the real offender is MsSandy. By the way, this '...' is an ellipsis. It's a grammar mark used to indicate a pause in speech, like the first sentence, or to indicate the intentional omission of a word (as in "darthjt is a complete ... !").

...so yeah, FoxFyr pwnd? No sir, I do believe you are the one that as been pwned.

As for your supporter, he obviously is ignorant, because assumption is a clear sign of ignorance.

As well, read the message before you decide to reply, because I was not attacking or stating anything, I was asking questions about certain comments!

Some people think they are so much superior to others, but when both of you continue to talk, you show just how infant you really are.

PWND! Again

Mastermind
Jan 25, 2010
Myself, I think as a charmeleon. If I see someone that talks weird, then I adapt and talk sort of slang. If I see a friend talking proper I talk properly. So I totally agree with this post.

But what about the people who dont know how to spell properly? For example, a person who is neat and types without slang but spells the word 'Tender' 'Tendre'? Its not their fault, but some people think of them as people who dont care about grammar.

BUT at the same time, this is a kids game, so most people do not care about grammar and spelling. Let this not be school, but an enjoyable game.

Brianna Wildblood, Level 57 Pyromancer: Aeronaut