Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spelling and Grammar: Why They're Important

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jul 26, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I'm done with trying to respond to a comment or question, but can't because I can hardly read your comment or question. Is it really that much work to use proper spelling and grammar? I know that the majority of people who post in the Forum are kids who will respond saying, "This is the Internet! We can spell however we want to, no matter how uneducated it makes me look!" However, that's no excuse for butchering the English language so badly that you become completely incoherent. I think a solution to this problem would be if KI added a Spelling and Grammar option to the Forum. Of course the easier solution would be to pay attention in English class, but the first solution seems more likely to actually happen.

So true.

Delver
Feb 01, 2010
i know right i can barely tell what people say sometimes

Explorer
May 20, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I'm done with trying to respond to a comment or question, but can't because I can hardly read your comment or question. Is it really that much work to use proper spelling and grammar? I know that the majority of people who post in the Forum are kids who will respond saying, "This is the Internet! We can spell however we want to, no matter how uneducated it makes me look!" However, that's no excuse for butchering the English language so badly that you become completely incoherent. I think a solution to this problem would be if KI added a Spelling and Grammar option to the Forum. Of course the easier solution would be to pay attention in English class, but the first solution seems more likely to actually happen.

Thank you SO much for this. I went to college for Journalism, English is my life, and so often, I just want to make a post correcting spelling and/or grammar.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
joey110498 wrote:

Thanks for bringing up another thing that I completely forgot about: punctuation!

Hero
May 27, 2009
LOL - a wizard after my own heart! I try to resist correcting people, and I know certain typos are just caused by typing too quickly, but honestly, some errors are so blatant that when they are repeated time and again, I just HAVE to say something. I feel we are just helping people communicate more effectively. It's hard to help someone when you can't even tell what their problem is (even if it's their/there/they're problem).

Join the Grammar/Spelling Police -- now hiring at a Forum near you!

LOL

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
/agree. So many parents seem to be using the internet as a babysitter today,rather than teaching their children the basic skills they need to succeed in the world. Some of the posts here are absolutely abysmal.

Explorer
Apr 04, 2010
I agree, I read a lot of topics and stuff. I saw this one post and the guy forgot to put spaces in between so i couldnt reed it. Thank you so much for bringing this up :D

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
Thanks so much for this post. Feel free to correct me, I could use the brush up.

I think so many people are used to texting they use shortcuts out of habit.

I am very bad in game about punctuation. I also tend to have typos because my typing skills are poor.

Megan

Defender
May 31, 2010

Would like to add , if you OCD twitchy folks could not go on these forums just to correct the spelling/grammar of other posters. It's just rude.
With all of those impressive reading skills , you might want to pick up a copy of Emily Post's guide to etiquette and read up on some of those social skills. Which I find most of you lack.
I have found that some people will post not an answer to the person making the request , but act as a teacher and go in and correct the person's post. Did they ever teach you in school , that if you don't have anything nice to say , then don't say anything at all? Its a good rule to social etiquette that you should try and practice. Instead of trying to make yourself feel special and important and bullying others. Despite what mommy told you , your not that special , and your condescending comments are not welcome.
I was once told that a truly intelligent person can communicate with anyone on any level. So you might want to kick yourself off that little pedestal that you put yourself on , and wake up to the world around you. That person you just corrected , might be an awesome math wiz , or a talented pianist , or just someone with a huge giving heart. You have not earned that right to judge them or anyone else in this world.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
MsSandy121 wrote:

Would like to add , if you OCD twitchy folks could not go on these forums just to correct the spelling/grammar of other posters. It's just rude.
With all of those impressive reading skills , you might want to pick up a copy of Emily Post's guide to etiquette and read up on some of those social skills. Which I find most of you lack.
I have found that some people will post not an answer to the person making the request , but act as a teacher and go in and correct the person's post. Did they ever teach you in school , that if you don't have anything nice to say , then don't say anything at all? Its a good rule to social etiquette that you should try and practice. Instead of trying to make yourself feel special and important and bullying others. Despite what mommy told you , your not that special , and your condescending comments are not welcome.
I was once told that a truly intelligent person can communicate with anyone on any level. So you might want to kick yourself off that little pedestal that you put yourself on , and wake up to the world around you. That person you just corrected , might be an awesome math wiz , or a talented pianist , or just someone with a huge giving heart. You have not earned that right to judge them or anyone else in this world.

1. The first sentence in your comment is a question, not a statement, and should be marked as such with one of these: '?'.
2. You don't sandwich commas with spaces; you simply put one space after a comma, like that.
3. When you start a new sentence, there's only one space that precedes the first word, not two.
4. It's 'you're' when you're using that word as a contraction for 'you are'. No, 'your' is not an accepted abbreviation for 'you're'.
5. You don't start a sentence with 'which'.

I learned different pearl of wisdom in my school: people who live in glass houses should not throw stones. Using correct grammar and spelling doesn't make us "OCD twitchy folks." You're saying we make ourselves feel "special" by "bullying" people? Correcting someone is only for the benefit of the person being corrected and is proper social etiquette. If someone's running with scissors, you're not gonna suggest they don't? Even if what you accuse us of was true, this derisive, ignorant comment makes you just as bad as us if not worse. It's not about condescendence or feeling special; if you haven't noticed, as educated people we are teachers. We're teaching the less-educated how to communicate online without sounding like complete idiots. If you think that's rude (and you obviously do), well...that stinks for you. Before you ask me to get off my pedestal, maybe you should try to decipher some of the horrifically written posts people have put up. I wonder if you'll still have this obnoxious attitude. By the way, if you haven't noticed, there is no one in the world that's "truly intelligent" (no, not even you); therefore, we should type like English is our first language and not our fifth.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
MsSandy121 wrote:

There is nothing wrong with pointing out poor grammar. It also is not rude or condescending in any way. I have read Emily Posts "Book of Etiquette" several times. Your posts venom suggests you have not. And though you obviously tried....the errors in your own diatribe is quite noticeable. I am reminded of a famous quote,but there is no need to list it,as it would certainly be lost upon you.

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
MsSandy121 wrote:

Well, I would first like to say that I will ALWAYS stay on topic (which personally, I agree should be present at all times) and include something about the spelling, grammar, punctuation, and usage in one or two sentences. Three sentences, on a bad day. So, I'd thank you if you'd nix the assumptions; this is definitely our first online meeting, so how could you know a thing about me?

By the way, I certainly don't have O.C.D. (I think), and your bit about that condition is quite offensive to those who do (as well as those of us here who don't). Take a leaf out of your own book some time and consider others' feelings.

I do have the ability to communicate with the posters and understand their message (how do you think I stay on topic?)... think of the requested grammatical correctness as a result of a pet peeve.

By the way, NEVER was it stated that any of us excelled at English and only English. I happen to be one of those "math whizzes (yes, with an "H")." I am also good at drawing and comprehending scientific matters.

Lastly... well, your post contained some instances of poor grammar. Pet peeve of mine.

P.S. Despite what your mother told you when your age was one digit , you're not that special, and your condescending comments are not welcome here... or anywhere else, for that matter. (Pwned. :D)

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
Willowdreamer wrote:
LOL - a wizard after my own heart! I try to resist correcting people, and I know certain typos are just caused by typing too quickly, but honestly, some errors are so blatant that when they are repeated time and again, I just HAVE to say something. I feel we are just helping people communicate more effectively. It's hard to help someone when you can't even tell what their problem is (even if it's their/there/they're problem).

LOL

I just can't stand repeat offenses, either. Someone on this Forum consistently types "soo" and it's driving me NUTS! I don't know if it's an attempted amalgamation of "too" and "so" (it's used in "How Balance got Soo strong in PvP"), but it doesn't work like that.

Anyway, FoxFyr here, reporting for duty.

Survivor
Sep 20, 2009
AkihiroHaHor5

Indeed. I concur completely in regard to your long overdue editorial on the subjects of Spelling and Grammatical errors. However, I did observe that you failed to expound upon the reasons for proper spelling and grammar being required.

Now, in regards to MsSandy, I would like to point out that there are not in fact any "posters" participating in this Forum. Instead, the participants of this Forum are in fact humans. As well, proper grammar and even spelling are vital components of proper etiquette. Furthermore, one should follow ones' own advice lest they become a hypocrite.

Defender
Dec 12, 2008
I agree completely agree! You know how you said there could be a Grammar and Punctuation and Spelling thing that made sure you did it right? I would think they could have something like that on Wizard101 too.

Jack Jade Magus Sorcerer Level 31 (In this time at least.)

Survivor
May 18, 2010
MsSandy121 wrote:

Gotta agree with MsSandy there.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Willowdreamer wrote:

LOL

AkihiroHattori5 reporting for duty.

Defender
May 31, 2010

Yes I agree , that is would in fact make me a hypocrite if I did point fingers. Instead I made a general comment. Seems the only ones who took offense were maybe those who felt maybe they fell into that group? *shrugs*

Now as far as Miss Manners and social etiquette. The 16th edition ,
Chapter: Communications, Corrections.

When a person pronounces a word incorrectly, or make a grammatical error, should you correct the error or repeat the error to avoid making the speaker uncomfortable? Two wrongs don't make a right. Don't correct him or her , but when the opportunity arises, use the same word or phrase correctly and hope the mistake will be recognized.
Only when the person is your spouse, child or extremely close friend or relative should you correct the error, and then only in private, not in front of other people.

Miss Manners goes on to say , you should only correct if asked.

This forum imo is a form of informal communication. Those that type on internet forums using slang , typos etc , will not use the same when say typing a resume. If they did , still not anyone's concern but theirs.

What I still disagree with , is people going on these forums not to give a poster and answer to his/her question , but only to do a spell/gramer check on that post. Its rude and unwanted , and still not your place to judge.

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
MsSandy121 wrote:

Yes I agree , that is would in fact make me a hypocrite if I did point fingers. Instead I made a general comment. Seems the only ones who took offense were maybe those who felt maybe they fell into that group? *shrugs*

Nooo... the hypocrisy is... let's see... ah yes, it's your comment about us as "OCD twitchy types." Offensive to those who do have O.C.D. and offensive to those of us here who don't. About 500 times more offensive than making sure someone doesn't make the same mistake twice. By the way, those were assumptions, not general comments (that is to say, the former term fits the situation to a greater degree).

What I still disagree with , is people going on these forums not to give a poster and answer to his/her question , but only to do a spell/gramer check on that post. Its rude and unwanted , and still not your place to judge.

As I said, we do stay on topic when posting; the grammatical errors are pointed out on the side. By the way, it's definitely not your place to judge how we correct others; we are jerks if they are, never anywhere else.

Defender
Feb 22, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
Willowdreamer wrote:

LOL

AkihiroHattori5 reporting for duty.

As well as milo10000.

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
joey110498 wrote:

Thanks for bringing up another thing that I completely forgot about: punctuation!

Actually, you did bring up punctuation. Something you didn't bring up was repetitiveness. Another is usage; why, just the other day I saw someone horrifically misuse the words "candid" and "incredulous!"

Ah, me. :P

But, really, you left out capitalization.

Explorer
Sep 19, 2010
Well, pardon me whilst I play the Grand Piano.

:?

The rule of thumb is to write so that everyone can understand you. You're not text messaging here.

On the other hand, we're not Shakespeare composing a classic work, nor are we typing up a Doctoral Thesis.
If you can get your point across to a wide audience here, good enough.

Oh and by the way, I believe that if Miss Manners were to read this thread, she would facedesk.
Insulting each other over the use of proper etiquette has to be the biggest breach yet.

Survivor
Oct 28, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
MsSandy121 wrote:

1. The first sentence in your comment is a question, not a statement, and should be marked as such with one of these: '?'.
2. You don't sandwich commas with spaces; you simply put one space after a comma, like that.
3. When you start a new sentence, there's only one space that precedes the first word, not two.
4. It's 'you're' when you're using that word as a contraction for 'you are'. No, 'your' is not an accepted abbreviation for 'you're'.
5. You don't start a sentence with 'which'.

I learned different pearl of wisdom in my school: people who live in glass houses should not throw stones. Using correct grammar and spelling doesn't make us "OCD twitchy folks." You're saying we make ourselves feel "special" by "bullying" people? Correcting someone is only for the benefit of the person being corrected and is proper social etiquette. If someone's running with scissors, you're not gonna suggest they don't? Even if what you accuse us of was true, this derisive, ignorant comment makes you just as bad as us if not worse. It's not about condescendence or feeling special; if you haven't noticed, as educated people we are teachers. We're teaching the less-educated how to communicate online without sounding like complete idiots. If you think that's rude (and you obviously do), well...that stinks for you. Before you ask me to get off my pedestal, maybe you should try to decipher some of the horrifically written posts people have put up. I wonder if you'll still have this obnoxious attitude. By the way, if you haven't noticed, there is no one in the world that's "truly intelligent" (no, not even you); therefore, we should type like English is our first language and not our fifth.

It's english, not English. ;)

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
brytenshynee wrote:
Well, pardon me whilst I play the Grand Piano.

:?

The rule of thumb is to write so that everyone can understand you. You're not text messaging here.

On the other hand, we're not Shakespeare composing a classic work, nor are we typing up a Doctoral Thesis.
If you can get your point across to a wide audience here, good enough.

Oh and by the way, I believe that if Miss Manners were to read this thread, she would facedesk.
Insulting each other over the use of proper etiquette has to be the biggest breach yet.

In my defense, all I'm doing is fighting BACK. In other words... well, someone else started it (although it is truthfully utterly asinine, and should cease to continue).

Defender
Jul 21, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I'm done with trying to respond to a comment or question, but can't because I can hardly read your comment or question. Is it really that much work to use proper spelling and grammar (this includes punctuation as well)? I know that the majority of people who post in the Forum are kids who will respond saying, "This is the Internet! We can spell however we want to, no matter how uneducated it makes us look!" However, that's no excuse for butchering the English language so badly that you become completely incoherent. I think a solution to this problem would be if KI added a Spelling and Grammar option to the Forum. Of course the easier solution would be to pay attention in English class, but the first solution seems more likely to actually happen.
way to rub your "vast amount of vocabulary" in our faces