Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 9-24-10

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 30, 2009
Hello all,
I would like to say in regards to unearned level porting to make it a multistep process.

First: Make joining ANY battle with ANYONE time based. After a long hard battle, I find nothing more annoying than having someone jumping in at the very end only to bring in another monster to kill you, leaving THEM to finish a three monster battle they could not finish if there were only two of them ! Make it so that if you are in battle for "X" amount of minutes, ports are disabled except after port request

Second: If ports for lesser level players ARE allowed, allow them minimal access or reduced XP and drops. As it stands, you can only do side quests (which you have to redo anyway) in an area that you cannot access because of your level.

Third: If none of this is possible, at least make a set of buttons on the HUD like the menu chat that allows requests to port and an allow/deny port requests if in another area other than the one you are in. If not in the same area, the port buttons would pop up with a request of who wants to port and what level. That would be a BIG help!!!

At the very minimum, make it level based, meaning have levels set to the point where lets say a level ten friend cannot port to you in Dragonspyre, but CAN port to you in MB. They may be some help to you in MB, but will bring nothing but heartache in DS.

Survivor
Mar 22, 2010
Yes, Professor Falmea, that seems to be a hot topic! I have witnessed alot of families playing, grandparents with children and parents and children. I think that is so cool! It is a great learning opportunity to go somewhere where there are older, more experienced players are. But, sometimes it can be very annoying when younger wizards are just entering the game and want everyone to be their friend. Then, as a more experienced wizard accepts them as a friend (because they want to help), sometimes all you hear is "HELP", and many times, all they need to do is figure it out and not let anyone do the work and thinking for them. That is what this game is about...building self-confidence! So you get defeated, it's not the end of the world! Do it again and again until you've mastered what you are after. That feels good! (Believe me, I've been defeated many times and I've gone right back in and finally got my reward.)

I think the best suggestion I've seen is to put a text box in to the person that the lower level wizard wants to port to, to accept (or not) the port. Then, you can choose to have them port or not. Sometimes you don't want the person to port for many reasons. I think this would solve many issues as to whether or not they were asked, etc.

I think this is the best idea (and probably the easiest for you guys KI?) or way around this issue. Great idea!

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
I don't have a problem with this situation and I will tell you why:

First of all: We are all here to Enjoy a game. This should be a nice and pleasant experience. Unfortunately many players take this game way too seriously. They all feel that it's a Natural Disaster to have a so called "NooB" jump in a battle or port to them in any given time. Oh and because they "Paid" it makes a difference. Well the game per-say says It's "Free" (except for the fine print) of course. I'm a member too, but I am not selfish. Placing too many guidelines will just discourage the beginner. Let them have access to most areas sure Why Not? Let them Enjoy the Ride. If they want to control these kinds of situations simply close their portal, change realms whatever it takes. Many families out there don't have all the means to be able to pay but still want to enjoy the game. Why ruin it for them. To all my Fellow Noob "Wizards" You are always Welcomed to my realms Any Day or Any Time. :P

Terri Wildgem, the 4th- GrandMaster Death, Life, Balance & Storm
"The Guardian Angel"

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
fredster13579 wrote:
Pyrsik wrote:
I vote a resounding no. Though I personally have no qualms with those wanting to help their friends via porting, the problem arises from those who abuse the ability and cause problems for others. Some type of restriction needs to be imposed. You don't even have to take away the porting;many viable solutions have been suggested. Since you seem unaware of the numerous threads on this issue, I will list several possible solutions to the problem:

1) Increase threat- Several mmorpg's address this issue by increasing threat to lower levels. The bigger the difference in level,the more the mobs will redirect their ire toward the lower levels who enter combat. With the thought of impending doom,most lower levels would think twice before joining combat.
2) No exp/drops- take away the exp/drops gained from these areas,most people who don't belong there would probably not go there as much.
3)Non-combat- Simply take away the ability to enter combat for anyone who does not have proper access to an area via quest progression/spiral keys.

There are many possible solutions. Something needs to be done.Ignoring a problem doesn't solve anything,it makes matters worse. And up till now,admins silence on this issue has been deafening.

listen, just cuz they're low lvl doesn't mean they cant help, my lvl 18 fire friend comes in when i'm in malistaire and saves my butt, that couldn't happen if they got ghosted or were restricted from combat, no xp or drops would be dumb because think of it, they cant actually USE the drops until they do get high enough, and also if the threat increased it would just be plain unfair, cuz if they're porting to you, or someone else, they're a friend, so usually they're invited, and if not, it doesn't matter cuz you know them and stuff, and if you dont you shouldn't add them in the first place!

You are missing the main point. The problem that exists is that some people allow anyone on their friends list. They let anyone port to them unrestricted,and then these same people go on to cause problems for many who are not their friends. If people were responsible this would not even be an issue,but alas they are not. Some type of restriction needs to be imposed. Just because you like something about a game,does not justify keeping it, if it is causing disruptions and problems for other players. You and the few who are disagreeing are placing your preference above those who have legitimate complaints. As I stated previously,there are many possible solutions,I only listed a few. Hopefully if you think more about the issue,you will see the problem,and realize something needs to be done.

Explorer
Jun 08, 2008
after reading most of the replies on this thread, i've noticed that most of the people that want to be able to port to higher worlds are people that have multiple wizards they want to level up fast, wich doesn't really make sense since they still need to go back and do the world there wizard is in to continue with the storyline of the game, or they are just a low level wizard that wants to play in the big wizards worlds.

its annoying to be in dragonspyre and hear wizards ask for help, in the lower worlds, what are they doing in dragonspyre if they are still in, [say marleybone] thats where they should be asking for help, there's a good chance they'll find someone to help them where they are.

i'm one of those wizards that will not help a lower level out if they are in a world they don't belong.

i still say/vote that no wizard should be allowed into a world if they do not have a quest to go there yet........

Survivor
Jan 11, 2009
YES! Let people port where they will, when they will, with NO restrictions!
We don't need changes because a small minoity of the players on Wizard 101 whine about "noobs annoying them", or "noobs leveling up too fast".
Do the math, were you to get 500 whining complaints about this being a problem, that leaves 9,999,500 Wizard 101 players who are satisfied with the way things are.
Here of late, it seems that every time a couple hundred ( or even a couple thousand), players complain about something, Kings Isle is ready to make big changes to satisfy them. This is not necessary, nor advisable. We all agreed to the rules in place when we joined the community, And I don't remember one of them being "To change the rules because 500 people complain".I've played this game for nearly 2 years now, and have seen several changes because the vocal few complained, Many of them not to my liking, and some of them just down right ludicrous.
Making the game easier DOES NOT make it more fun! It does allow less skilled players to get ahead faster though. This seems to be an issue in the current discussion, the few being annoyed that a low level player can port, do a dungeon, and level up quickly. I don't see this as a problem, anyone is allowed to do so, and those who choose to do so feel more secure in their playing, those who refrain, can take pride in not doing so.
Can't we all just get along? Tolerance is a wonderful thing, it enables Many different idividuals, with differing ideas, to inhabit the same space in this world. Shouldn't we be just as hospitable in the worlds of Wizard 101?

Thank you Wizard 101!

Respectfully, Lefty 50

Survivor
Nov 14, 2009
I believe people should earn thier way to higher worlds, it aggravatesme when they port to me when I am fighting. it brings in another thing to the fight, a,d they usually are a lower lvl, with no power hits, so you have to fight and keep them alive too. I just keep my port off, to aviod unwanted visitors :)love this game to by the way. thank you for it.

Survivor
Apr 08, 2010
I have just the solution for this :)

I hate when a "noob" comes to a place like the Plaza of Conquests. You may be in the middle of killing maybe the Gurtok Demon, and suddenly you may be running out of cards. Then low levels come in and cast rank 2 spells, and not allow high levels to enter the battle and ACTUALLY help you.

So, in solution, when a noob is porting to an area they haven't gained access to, it should ask the person they're teleporting to if they want to let the low level come along. This way, no one will lose out on anything, and no low levels will be bothering us in tough battles! :D

Explorer
Sep 20, 2009
Survivor
Aug 16, 2010

YES!

Lower level wizards should be able to teleport to friends in higher worlds.
There are times when I have done this and have helped my higher level friends fight off a boss to complete their quest. Any experience gained is my right because I fought and earned it. Since I am paying to have access to other worlds then I should be allowed to go and help my friends in higher level worlds. (Per Wizard101's promise : "Unlimited Access to Wizard101 ; premium access areas" - quote found on the back of any Wizard101 game card.) If Wizard101 takes this away then they are no longer Honoring their Promise. If this action were to be taken, Wizard101 would lose the financial backing currently gained by purchasers of subscribers and game card users.
Please reconsider this Carefully.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
lovey55 wrote:
I think the game is brilliant as it is. It's an occasional problem that isn't worth changing the game over. I have two grand wizards and two lower level who all share friends and all have benefited from access through friend porting. Besides, you have the option of turning off friend porting in your settings if you want.
My vote : DON'T FIX WHAT ISN'T BROKE

Wow. You obviously have no clue about what a huge problem this is. You really should get more informed before posting an opinion on some thing that you obviously know nothing about. It is completely broke the way it is now.

Survivor
May 30, 2009
Honestly, I think you should let this be more of a free game, I may want to lvl some of my lower lvl characters and most other people would too. The only prob is that some of the younger and less experienced wizards might become a bit annoying. Maybe if you could add a cap for the lower lvl so that they can at least get the full experience without having to be a huge pain. As for members and nonmembers, I'm still a member for a while but I suggest at least making it a bit more free to play because honestly, getting stuck in Triton Avenue isn't that fun. Hope this helped :D

Roslyn StarBlossom: 50 Ice

Explorer
Nov 07, 2009
I think they should be allowed to teleport but only if you invite them. You could put an 'invite' button on their friend panel, when me and my sister did the labyrinth for the first time we were finding it hard, so we asked a level 20 friend to help. We wouldn't have been able to do the dungeon without her! 8)

Survivor
Aug 24, 2009
Professor Falmea wrote:
Hi folks! It's that time again...

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

This week, we'd like to get your opinion on lower level wizards teleporting to friends in higher level areas. On one hand, it's a nice way to let those who are not as far along in the game get a peek-see at new sights, and even get an extra jump on earning experience. However, it does take it's toll when a level 5 Wizard jumps into a fight with you in, say, Dragonspyre, which is obviously over their heads and bring extra monsters to the fight and leaves you with the mess to clean up. Not fun.

So, please weigh in. Should wizards be able to teleport into world that they haven't earned access to through the storyline?

no they should not go when it is not open to them you dont need them in with you when you do malistaire like i did when i did it it is nice but it gets to a point they use there wand and uses the traps up and has no chat they should wait to it is open to them. thank you.

Survivor
Oct 03, 2009
Cosino wrote:
well what you should do is when the try to teleport give us a box thats says:
Do you want "Name of character" level "whatever" to teleport to you?
that is a great response i think :D

I agree with this. Another option would be, as some others have suggested, to only allow porting to a world one level ahead of the one they're in.

Pat R

Survivor
Nov 02, 2009
Dear Professor Falmea,

The answer to what you ask is not an easy one. I can completely understand those that quickly jump to the answer of "NO" without thinking how it affects other more experienced wizards that have achieved Grand Master status with alts that they like to "Power level" in the more experienced areas. Someone earlier stated that "earning the right to go to those ares is the whole point of the game" on this i would have to disagree, the point of the game is to "HAVE FUN", yes earning your way up is fun because following the storyline as is you learn so much about the Spiral.

I can also see how younger players who do not know any better will pop in while you are farming a boss, in a dungeon, are wanting to solo an area. What more experienced wizards need to remember is that there IS a "turn off port" option in the settings area. Simply complaining about other players popping in when you do not want them is not a solution and neither is shutting down the ability for lower level wizards to enter certain areas...

Now to my suggestion:
How about if Kingsisle would add the ability to accept or deny a ports from other players, hence removing the chance of a "surprise" port that most younger wizards tend to do a lot.

Thank you for your time Professor Falmea. May this scroll find you well.

Sincerely,

Wolf Redfist
Grand Master Sorcerer

Sophia & Valdus Drake from "Daughter of a Dark Wizard"

Survivor
May 19, 2010
Professor Falmea wrote:

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

This week, we'd like to get your opinion on lower level wizards teleporting to friends in higher level areas. On one hand, it's a nice way to let those who are not as far along in the game get a peek-see at new sights, and even get an extra jump on earning experience. However, it does take it's toll when a level 5 Wizard jumps into a fight with you in, say, Dragonspyre, which is obviously over their heads and bring extra monsters to the fight and leaves you with the mess to clean up. Not fun.

So, please weigh in. Should wizards be able to teleport into world that they haven't earned access to through the storyline?

No, becaus ethey need healing all the time and that a lot of times make you lose because you can't heal yourself

Isaiah Titantamer Grand diviner

Survivor
May 16, 2010
I think should stay as they are. MAny have made good points about families being unbale to join each other if a lock was to be place. However I like the idea having box came up telling us so an so wants to port with their name and level with the choise of yes can port or no.

Survivor
May 19, 2010
Professor Falmea wrote:

No' because they need healing all the time and because you can't heal yourself or attack a lot of the time you lose

Isaiah TitanTamer Grandmaster diviner

Survivor
Jan 11, 2009
Come On!

If having a lower level port to you is annoying, remove them from your friends list,or do not allow anyone to port!

I have had many friends request my help in higher levels.
I might not have the spiral key due to the fact that I normaly do ALL quests in an area before moving on.
How ever, that dose not mean that I am not able to assist my friends!
ALSO, If the area is that tough, I might be willing to bring in one of my Grand Masters.

If a lower level Wizard feels that they are able to fight in a world that has much higher level monsters (With out yelling HELP! HELP! or "I need Healing!) Let then do it!

Add a premisssion to join in any fight!This will keep lower level wizards from "jumping in" on some one who is not their friend!

Survivor
Jul 04, 2009
Yes, i think it should be alright to jump to other friends at higher levels. I enjoy seeing other areas that i haven't seen before and i only do it to help friends.
And if you look at it, the person porting to friends in higher level areas will eventually end up buying the crowns to get to that area or will join monthly.

Larry

Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
I dont think lower level wizards should be allowed to enter
the higher spirals, no. Leveling to different spirals is the
excitement of the game. To much change and it is no longer
Wizard 101.

Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
Please dont keep changing Wizard 101 due the Whiners of the game.
This is a well thought out game, and I know you should listen to complaints
and such but, if the staff keeps changing the game for the whiners,
it will no longer be wizard 101. I have had lower levels port in when
I am doing a quest, and first thing out of their mouth is heal me, heal me.
Than I cannot fight since I am healing them. As a life character I get
tired of this. The lower levels should finish the quests of the spiral
they are in, then graduate to next level. That is what I did.
Why let other people change Wizard 101, If it gets to easy, what is the
point of the game?

Survivor
May 16, 2009
I think wizards should be able to port to other worlds because me and my friend use one of our grandmasters to take the other into high lvl dungeons for some fast xp. Which make it really easy for us to get the spells for our school faster. Plus i always have a 7 scarecrows in my deck if anybody ports to me.

Survivor
Jun 21, 2009
Yes I think that the lower level wizards should be able to port anywhere that they have a friend for 3 REASONS!
One reason is that they have paid the smae amount for the game as you.

Second reason is that I play with my kids as well as other friends that I have or have met on the game as well. I have a grand death and am working on other wizards now. Some of the great friends that I have on here we still all want to work on here with and be able to play with on here with my new wizards as well as theirs so we like to port to each other to help. With my kids it gives me and my kids a chance to play together and bond together while playing cause as you know this game takes a lot of time to go through.

Third reason is for all the people whining about lower level wizards porting to you. If you had any brains you would realize that you the "higher level wizard" decides whether or not you want that lower level wizard to be your friend or not. If you don't accept him or her they wouldn't be able to port to you would they. So it is your fault as the higher level wizard not the fault completlely for the lower level wizard. Yes they might be porting to you in a battle that they might not be ready for but you don't have to be friends with them so it is your fault. QUIT COMPLAINING!!!!!!