Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Big Ben unlock the wooden chest

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 03, 2008
I completed the big ben tower last night but I still have a quest to unlock a wooden chest. There were 4 gold chests on the top floor and 4 silver chests below that level. The closest thing I saw to a wooden chest was a box similar to the wooden crates collected on another quest in this world.
I went up and down the tower 3 or 4 times and never found a wooden chest.
Did I just miss it?
Is it random or is the quest broken?

Survivor
Jul 30, 2008
I have the same problem. I also finished last night and have this same quest. When I spoke to the NPC, I vaguely remember him saying the key was for a chest with much needed supplies and, I think, he said it was a silver chest but in my spell book it says wooden chest.

Nevertheless, I can not find a wooden chest and the key doesn't work on the silver nor the gold chest. I also made several trips back through all the rooms searching for it. After finally giving up, I exited through the elevator to the museum. I assumed the assignment would be removed from my spell book at this point but it is still there.

I had just finished counterweight east and west, my own assignments, then ported to a friend in Big Ben to help out. I didn't expect to get credit for Big Ben, but I did, since I didn't start the quest in the normal way but instead joined someone else. Anyways, I'm going to help a friend today do all three areas and see what happens. I will post here if I figure it out.

Survivor
Aug 09, 2008
That happened to me last night too.

I think that quest is broken. There has been a lor of bugs with instances since they made the xp change.

Hey KingsIsle.

Maybe this a sign to let things go back to the way they were. before september 10th :P

Survivor
Jun 03, 2008
At least you can feel thankful that you were actually able to complete Big Ben. I got to the level where the silver chests appeared, wasn't able to interact with them and it also refused to open the door to let me move on from that point.

Survivor
Aug 24, 2008
bump, same exact thing happened to me, found golds and silvers but no wooden

also i know its off subject but where is the hidden milk boss?i knocked over all the bottles and couldnt find him

Survivor
May 24, 2008
No, you're not hallucinating. I haven't found the wooden chest to open, either. (And yes, it irks me to see that quest staring me in the face, even though I've finished Big Ben!)

I completed Big Ben for myself during the day of Sept. 11, but helped others complete it the same night. And I ran back and forth between rooms and couldn't find anything other than silver and gold chests that wouldn't open for any of us.

My friend took a screen shot of the quest to submit a bug report, but I feel it doesn't hurt to confirm it here that it's a bug for us, too.

Survivor
May 24, 2008
Qumil wrote:
Is it random or is the quest broken?

Good question!

I also did Big Ben last night and had the same problem. No wooden chests anywhere, and the silver and gold chests could not be opened.

A friend of mine has now done Big Ben twice and has had no luck with the chests either time.

Even more annoying: The "Open Wooden Chest" quest still appears in my spellbook, despite leaving the instance and logging out. It was still there this morning when I logged back in. Because of this problem, it looks like it's a broken quest to me.

I submitted a bug report and can only hope this is fixed soon.

Survivor
Jul 05, 2008
same problem here too also the secret boss didn't spawn properly for me, i had to kill the two normal monsters in the room before meowiarty then kill meowiarty then go back and he popped up.

Survivor
Jul 30, 2008
As promised, I said I would let you guys know if I found anything. I did Big Ben all together four times, helping friends catch up, and still no wooden chest nor will any of the silver or golden chest open. Also today, we had to completely exit the game to reset counterweight west cause there was one square in the puzzle room where all the suns must shine that would not work. That was very frustrating cause we had to start all over. However, we finally made it but still no chest to be found.

hbeatbaby wrote:
same problem here too also the secret boss didn't spawn properly for me, i had to kill the two normal monsters in the room before meowiarty then kill meowiarty then go back and he popped up.

That's happened to me as well, has something to do with spilling the milk. the more spilled milk the higher the numbers on the big dog/cat/whatever he is. Last night, however, we spilled the milk as we went and he was there as we went up with a large number of health, 3500.

Explorer
Jul 05, 2008
So are you saying that if you do not want a big fight before you get to last battle of Big Ben you spill no milk. Anyone remember what the prize was for defeating the 2nd to last boss.

Survivor
Sep 01, 2008
i did big ben long ago i dont know when but i think it was last year well i did it we had to do nothing with the silver chests just get the gold ones maybe it is a bug well at least i finished it before this problem :? SabrinaMistStone

Mastermind
Sep 20, 2008
littlebelle wrote:
So are you saying that if you do not want a big fight before you get to last battle of Big Ben you spill no milk. Anyone remember what the prize was for defeating the 2nd to last boss.

You got it right! Spare the milk; and you get spared yourself....

Scarlet SkullHammer (Death 39, Black Cat Pet, "Shadow")

Survivor
Feb 23, 2009
I found the wooden chests. They appear after you fight on that level. Just like the silver and gold ones. Or at least they did for me :?

Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
ALL you guys haft to do is look around i had the same problem but i never gave up :)

Survivor
May 25, 2009
Dear AlphaSpyIvy,
Who is NPC? I have looked and looked for someone that would give ame a key that would enable the Chest Quest in Big Ben to no avail. I have been through Big Ben 5 times, 4 helping and once for myself and 1 out of 5 times the person I was with actually had a key to the Chest Quest. He forgot where he got it.Also, what do I do to open the Obsidian Chests in M arleybone? No one knows! Sincerely, Elizabeth
AlphaSpyIvy wrote:
I have the same problem. I also finished last night and have this same quest. When I spoke to the NPC, I vaguely remember him saying the key was for a chest with much needed supplies and, I think, he said it was a silver chest but in my spell book it says wooden chest.

Nevertheless, I can not find a wooden chest and the key doesn't work on the silver nor the gold chest. I also made several trips back through all the rooms searching for it. After finally giving up, I exited through the elevator to the museum. I assumed the assignment would be removed from my spell book at this point but it is still there.

I had just finished counterweight east and west, my own assignments, then ported to a friend in Big Ben to help out. I didn't expect to get credit for Big Ben, but I did, since I didn't start the quest in the normal way but instead joined someone else. Anyways, I'm going to help a friend today do all three areas and see what happens. I will post here if I figure it out.