Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PVP-Middle names giving away your school

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 01, 2009
I have been playing this game a long time, and have many grandmaster characters. I just recently got heavily involved with PVP. The problem I am running into is that my characters all have a middle name that give away their school. When someone sees "Hunter Stormsword" they pull out all of their anti storm school spells. Now the only way to fix him is to delete him and remake him just because I didn't know this the first day I created him. This is a serious problem especially in 1v1 or 2v2. I might as well ont even play either until this is fixed. Same with my other characters.

One of the following needs to be done:

1. Allow name changing via crowns or gold-been suggested and not a welcome idea by many and I imagine not the easiast idea to implement with this game system.

2. Since number 1 not so viable, I suggest player names NOT be shown in the countdown before the PVP fight begins. After the PVP fight begins I think the names should be shown as normal.

3. More challenging but doable, remove the school names from the naming options in character creaton and give everyone a one time rename character token they can use. Only characters created before the names were taken out of character creation would need this token.

4. Allow people to hide their middle or last name in the options screen. That way people can hide it before PVP fights , and then show it after they are done.

Any of these ideas would fix the issue at hand. Thank you for your time.

Survivor
Apr 03, 2010
The real problem isn't your name giving away your school.

Standard default strategy now is a first turn storm shield. Why? Wild bolt on the first turn is a game winner, it puts the opponent too far behind to come back.

People don't look at your name, and then in the 10 second window slap in all their anti storm cards, the cards are already in their deck. Normally class deductions are made through health pools and first or second turn casts (even the level 48 class pets give things away), I've been up against lots of players with school specific names that aren't that school.

Bottom line, you aren't losing matches because of your name, the anti storm early in the match comes from a more general player base response against wild bolt.

Defender
Jun 11, 2009
Catalyst05 wrote:
The real problem isn't your name giving away your school.

Standard default strategy now is a first turn storm shield. Why? Wild bolt on the first turn is a game winner, it puts the opponent too far behind to come back.

People don't look at your name, and then in the 10 second window slap in all their anti storm cards, the cards are already in their deck. Normally class deductions are made through health pools and first or second turn casts (even the level 48 class pets give things away), I've been up against lots of players with school specific names that aren't that school.

Bottom line, you aren't losing matches because of your name, the anti storm early in the match comes from a more general player base response against wild bolt.

erm, i hate to dissent, but u r incorrect on this one my friend. many pvp fanatics (such as myself) use the ten second window to put in shields/ dispells/ disadvantages, what have you, for the school they're guessing you are in to their deck. when Althalus409 mentioned their storm, they were most likely making an example.

as for reply to Althalus409, i think the greatest idea you had is the option to cover up your name. this would not be hard for KI to do ( i believe) and seems like you should be able to do it.

jared stormblade 50 storm
wolf deathcaller 50 death
kane strongvault 26 balance

Survivor
Aug 19, 2009
Who would want to change their name with crowns, CROWNS,CROWNS,CROWNS! You should not have to pay real money to change your characters name on a game. How about just allowing players to change their name with or without out gold.

Althalus409 wrote:
I have been playing this game a long time, and have many grandmaster characters. I just recently got heavily involved with PVP. The problem I am running into is that my characters all have a middle name that give away their school. When someone sees "Hunter Stormsword" they pull out all of their anti storm school spells. Now the only way to fix him is to delete him and remake him just because I didn't know this the first day I created him. This is a serious problem especially in 1v1 or 2v2. I might as well ont even play either until this is fixed. Same with my other characters.

One of the following needs to be done:

1. Allow name changing via crowns or gold-been suggested and not a welcome idea by many and I imagine not the easiast idea to implement with this game system.

2. Since number 1 not so viable, I suggest player names NOT be shown in the countdown before the PVP fight begins. After the PVP fight begins I think the names should be shown as normal.

3. More challenging but doable, remove the school names from the naming options in character creaton and give everyone a one time rename character token they can use. Only characters created before the names were taken out of character creation would need this token.

4. Allow people to hide their middle or last name in the options screen. That way people can hide it before PVP fights , and then show it after they are done.

Any of these ideas would fix the issue at hand. Thank you for your time.

Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
Not true that if your name is say...okay, for example: Scarlet Firedust. That doesn't mean she is fire. I have seen so many people with a school in their name and they aren't that school at all!

If its really annoying the pants out of you, how bout just not having a school in your name and then being that school. Simple.

Survivor
Jul 01, 2009
IamLezul wrote:
Not true that if your name is say...okay, for example: Scarlet Firedust. That doesn't mean she is fire. I have seen so many people with a school in their name and they aren't that school at all!

If its really annoying the pants out of you, how bout just not having a school in your name and then being that school. Simple.

That would be great if I could change it, I don't want to have to remake all of my Grandmaster mages just to take it out.

Defender
Dec 23, 2009
"catalyst" wrote:
People don't look at your name, and then in the 10 second window slap in all their anti storm cards, the cards are already in their deck.

Gotta agree with Popman on this one. That is precisely what I do, and I take advantage of people who put their school in their name in those 15 seconds beforehand. I'm not alone either. A lot of PvP veterans do.

And as someone who isn't foolish enough to announce my school through name, I hope they do nothing about it. Makes ya think twice about doing something like that.

Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
Althalus409 wrote:
IamLezul wrote:

That would be great if I could change it, I don't want to have to remake all of my Grandmaster mages just to take it out.

Didn't say you have to. But, not to sound rude, you have to just deal with it.

Explorer
Feb 21, 2009
The name change won't happen. The confusion that follows would be insane.
@Lezul: If you are named Scarlet Firedust, odds are you are going to be Fire. Not saying that there are some non-Fire Scarlet Firedusts out there, but the majority of them are.

Duncan E.

Survivor
Jul 01, 2009
possumman14 wrote:
"catalyst" wrote:
People don't look at your name, and then in the 10 second window slap in all their anti storm cards, the cards are already in their deck.

Gotta agree with Popman on this one. That is precisely what I do, and I take advantage of people who put their school in their name in those 15 seconds beforehand. I'm not alone either. A lot of PvP veterans do.

And as someone who isn't foolish enough to announce my school through name, I hope they do nothing about it. Makes ya think twice about doing something like that.

"Foolish enough". How snide, I was new to the game, and had never even thought about PVP and didn't know PVP was in the game until after. Many other wizards will and have run into the same problem. Sure I wouldn't even think of making a character with my school in the name now.

As for me having to "deal with it" why should I have to? It's a simple change that will harm nothing no matter which idea they choose (were they even to use one of them versus an idea of their own.)

Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
0SMR0 wrote:
@Lezul: If you are named Scarlet Firedust, odds are you are going to be Fire. Not saying that there are some non-Fire Scarlet Firedusts out there, but the majority of them are.

Duncan E.

You have no idea how many ppl I see that have a school in their name, and they aren't that school at all. You just gotta look for them.

Survivor
Jul 01, 2009
0SMR0 wrote:

Duncan E.

How would the name change be confusing? It is only the middle part of their name, and it can't be because there might be more than one person with the same name, that already happens quite A LOT.

Defender
Dec 23, 2009
"Foolish enough". How snide, I was new to the game, and had never even thought about PVP and didn't know PVP was in the game until after. Many other wizards will and have run into the same problem. Sure I wouldn't even think of making a character with my school in the name now.

As for me having to "deal with it" why should I have to? It's a simple change that will harm nothing no matter which idea they choose (were they even to use one of them versus an idea of their own.)

Consider it a lesson learned, which is valuable in real life. My first guy was a death, and on the way to grandmaster I totally jacked up my training points. Once I realized my mistake, I could either waste crowns to start over, or make a new death guy and level him up.

I made a choice. Now you can do it too. The world doesn't come with an eraser or a restart button.

Survivor
Jul 01, 2009
possumman14 wrote:

Consider it a lesson learned, which is valuable in real life. My first guy was a death, and on the way to grandmaster I totally jacked up my training points. Once I realized my mistake, I could either waste crowns to start over, or make a new death guy and level him up.

I made a choice. Now you can do it too. The world doesn't come with an eraser or a restart button.

That might of been a valid point, only one problem. This game isn't real life, nor was it intended to be. Why should I have to remake 5 grandmaster wizards, just to "learn something" ? You had one guy to remake, try remaking 5 of them then come talk to me, plus I can't choose to spend some crowns and make the problem go away, which is an option you had.

I just want an option BESIDES remaking 5 grandmasters, I don't think that's unreasonable. I didn't try PVP until after making them because I was enjoying the PVE aspect of the game. But now I am understandably burnt out on the PVE side so I wanted to try PVP. Why should I have to go back to PVE all over again?

I think you are like some other people on here and have this motto "If it doesn't happen to me, I don't want it fixed for anyone else. They need to deal with it" Unless the problem affects you people need to just "deal with it". I find that response unacceptable.

Survivor
Mar 06, 2010

This is true.

What's in a name? Sometimes its a giveaway, but not always.

What about clothes? Lifers all wear green, Deathies all wear black... Not a good indication either.

My wizard is Timothy Myth Thistle. Donning all purple clothes, he steps into the arena with you. What do you do? If you gear up for myth and storm, you'll be wasting your time. Tim is a Life school primary and Death secondary.

Don't judge books by thier covers.

Explorer
Mar 01, 2009
Well, one of my wizard's last name is MythBreaker, he is not a Myth student (but he likes to Break them in half , not all the time though.)
Another is named DeathBreath and uses Guided Light sometimes, he is not a Death or Life student

But, the biggest giveaway for me is a wizard's Life point totals (other than pets sometimes).

Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
Althalus409 wrote:
possumman14 wrote:

That might of been a valid point, only one problem. This game isn't real life, nor was it intended to be. Why should I have to remake 5 grandmaster wizards, just to "learn something" ? You had one guy to remake, try remaking 5 of them then come talk to me, plus I can't choose to spend some crowns and make the problem go away, which is an option you had.

I just want an option BESIDES remaking 5 grandmasters, I don't think that's unreasonable. I didn't try PVP until after making them because I was enjoying the PVE aspect of the game. But now I am understandably burnt out on the PVE side so I wanted to try PVP. Why should I have to go back to PVE all over again?

I think you are like some other people on here and have this motto "If it doesn't happen to me, I don't want it fixed for anyone else. They need to deal with it" Unless the problem affects you people need to just "deal with it". I find that response unacceptable.

Then here's an idea:

Quit pvp! If it is giving you so many problems in pvp and you found it a big deal in pvp then I guess it all has to do with pvp. So then quit pvp. If you really loved pvp, you wouldn't care. Its your choice, but we can't deal with your problems, when we have enough to deal with.

Survivor
Jul 01, 2009

Then here's an idea:

Quit pvp! If it is giving you so many problems in pvp and you found it a big deal in pvp then I guess it all has to do with pvp. So then quit pvp. If you really loved pvp, you wouldn't care. Its your choice, but we can't deal with your problems, when we have enough to deal with.

Wow really? Don't bother posting anymore on this thread, as it is apparent, you have nothing useful to say. See what you just said is "foolish". It's not "my" problem. It's a problem many players will have and probably already are having. What is this "We have enough to deal with." I don't see anywhere that it states you work for KI, so who are you talking about? No one asked you to do deal with anything except to either stop posting in this thread all together, or find some way to be helpful with ideas and suggestions, and stop acting foolish.

Thank you.

Explorer
Mar 19, 2010
Althalus409 wrote:

Then here's an idea:

Wow really? Don't bother posting anymore on this thread, as it is apparent, you have nothing useful to say. See what you just said is "foolish". It's not "my" problem. It's a problem many players will have and probably already are having. What is this "We have enough to deal with." I don't see anywhere that it states you work for KI, so who are you talking about? No one asked you to do deal with anything except to either stop posting in this thread all together, or find some way to be helpful with ideas and suggestions, and stop acting foolish.

Thank you.

I find that the posters such as IamLezul and AlecVolterra usually give rather unhelpful responses to threads, the majority of their responses are just either a "dont pvp!" or something simple, short, and unhelpful. I sometimes wonder if they just post in a bid to pad their individual total messages.

Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
77296 wrote:
Althalus409 wrote:

Then here's an idea:

Thank you.

I find that the posters such as IamLezul and AlecVolterra usually give rather unhelpful responses to threads, the majority of their responses are just either a "dont pvp!" or something simple, short, and unhelpful. I sometimes wonder if they just post in a bid to pad their individual total messages.

Oh really, Mr. Smartypants?

Survivor
Jan 02, 2009
I agree completely with Altharus, although I have never encountered this problem before. My name is Duncan MythBlood, and I am Myth ( ) but I never see the little Spellbook symbol above peoples heads when the 10 second countdown starts. Plus, I am a Commander! You can easily get to Overlord (-1) with a middle name that gives away your school, but for some people, they would like to be able to change their middle name. I agree. I even have all those Commander+ Arena Clothes. It's not that hard. I mean, sure I lose b/c of people using too many Myth/Tower Shields. But oh well, I just move on. But I understand you, Altharus. It must be pretty frustrating to have only one choice, and the one choice being delete and start from scratch your Grands. Well, I hope I helped. 8)

Defender
May 31, 2009
While I disagree that this is a "Serious" problem, and typically tune out anytime someone posts ultimatums like "fix this or I'm gone", I don't think your wish is unreasonable.

Like so many, I, too, started a new character with NO CLUE of what I was doing. School types, School names, Spells - it was all so new and I had no idea what any of it meant. I was SO clueless, in fact, that I gave my FIRE wiz the last name Lifebringer. What was I thinking?!

Turns out, it was a bit of a blessing in disguise. As I realized that there were indeed people that look at name and clothes to make last minute adjustments, I simply seamstressed all my clothes to be green and voila - I was a FIRE in LIFE clothing.

Though this doesn't really help me much anymore as just about everyone I 1v1 against knows how to see what school I am the second the match up is set, there was a time that it was an advantage. Unintended in the beginning, but lucky me.

For those not as lucky I can see how it would be annoying to have to suffer some (minor, imho) consequences stemming from a decision made when you had no idea what you were doing. Especially since many like you come to pvp at the very END when they've run out of Quests to do on one or multiple wizards.

However, should the folks at KI not see it your way, allow me to make a few suggestions that might help a bit.

1. The number one "give away" as to school isn't necessarily your name, it's actually your pet. High level Balance Wizards usually will have the Hydra pet, Fire Wizards will have Stormzilla or the Oni, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. If you can, get a "neutral" pet, like the Defender Pig, that people from all schools use.

2. Appearance can also be tell tale. Try using the Seamstress to change your clothes. It won't help in all cases, but it might give your opponent cause to think twice if he sees a Stormhunter all decked out in, say, Red, or Green.

3. It's remarkable how many will jump into the arena with their "Master of [insert school here]" badge. Seems obvious, but I've fought many a 1v1 against someone who doesn't realize what this tells me.

Over time you'll realize that most people will not look at you, or your pet, or your clothes to determine your school - they'll simply watch the matchup. At that point, all of this is pretty much moot.

I'm no programmer and I suspect it might be a bit of a nightmare to manage (think of all the friends you'd lose, etc), but it doesn't seem an unreasonable request. Seems to me if you can spend some Gold and change, say, your Pet's name, they could make it possible to change a players name - first, middle, and last.

Sorry many here have jumped on you for this. Ultimatum aside, I appreciate posts where folks present a (perceived) issue, offer suggestions, and then defend their beliefs in well articulated and civilized debate. Were it that everyone could stick to this format!

mlb

Defender
Dec 28, 2009
IamLezul wrote:
Althalus409 wrote:
possumman14 wrote:

Then here's an idea:

All posts on all message boards are addressed to the moderators. You can choose to comment on them, but you don't have to. He was simply posting an idea that he has to make the game slightly better. How will it ruin, say, your life?

Also, what problems do you have to deal with? If you don't want to deal with his problems, then don't! Nobody is making you do so!

To the original poster, I don't really need it, but if you do, then I'm for it.

Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
Umrag wrote:
IamLezul wrote:
Althalus409 wrote:
possumman14 wrote:

Then here's an idea:

All posts on all message boards are addressed to the moderators. You can choose to comment on them, but you don't have to. He was simply posting an idea that he has to make the game slightly better. How will it ruin, say, your life?

Also, what problems do you have to deal with? If you don't want to deal with his problems, then don't! Nobody is making you do so!

To the original poster, I don't really need it, but if you do, then I'm for it.

So, in otherwords, everyone is against me because I don't agree that this name "problem" is a big deal? Mm, pleasant...

Survivor
Jul 01, 2009
Caspeen wrote:
While I disagree that this is a "Serious" problem, and typically tune out anytime someone posts ultimatums like "fix this or I'm gone", I don't think your wish is unreasonable.

Like so many, I, too, started a new character with NO CLUE of what I was doing. School types, School names, Spells - it was all so new and I had no idea what any of it meant. I was SO clueless, in fact, that I gave my FIRE wiz the last name Lifebringer. What was I thinking?!

Turns out, it was a bit of a blessing in disguise. As I realized that there were indeed people that look at name and clothes to make last minute adjustments, I simply seamstressed all my clothes to be green and voila - I was a FIRE in LIFE clothing.

Though this doesn't really help me much anymore as just about everyone I 1v1 against knows how to see what school I am the second the match up is set, there was a time that it was an advantage. Unintended in the beginning, but lucky me.

For those not as lucky I can see how it would be annoying to have to suffer some (minor, imho) consequences stemming from a decision made when you had no idea what you were doing. Especially since many like you come to pvp at the very END when they've run out of Quests to do on one or multiple wizards.

However, should the folks at KI not see it your way, allow me to make a few suggestions that might help a bit.

1. The number one "give away" as to school isn't necessarily your name, it's actually your pet. High level Balance Wizards usually will have the Hydra pet, Fire Wizards will have Stormzilla or the Oni, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. If you can, get a "neutral" pet, like the Defender Pig, that people from all schools use.

2. Appearance can also be tell tale. Try using the Seamstress to change your clothes. It won't help in all cases, but it might give your opponent cause to think twice if he sees a Stormhunter all decked out in, say, Red, or Green.

3. It's remarkable how many will jump into the arena with their "Master of [insert school here]" badge. Seems obvious, but I've fought many a 1v1 against someone who doesn't realize what this tells me.

Over time you'll realize that most people will not look at you, or your pet, or your clothes to determine your school - they'll simply watch the matchup. At that point, all of this is pretty much moot.

I'm no programmer and I suspect it might be a bit of a nightmare to manage (think of all the friends you'd lose, etc), but it doesn't seem an unreasonable request. Seems to me if you can spend some Gold and change, say, your Pet's name, they could make it possible to change a players name - first, middle, and last.

Sorry many here have jumped on you for this. Ultimatum aside, I appreciate posts where folks present a (perceived) issue, offer suggestions, and then defend their beliefs in well articulated and civilized debate. Were it that everyone could stick to this format!

mlb

Thank you for the good information and input. Actually I wasn't trying to give an ultimatum, but I can see why it might of came off that way, I just meant it didn't seem worth playing pvp if my middle name was going to give me away before the match starts but I am in no way quitting PVP or the game. You made some very good points and I really appreciate them.

Thank you for all those suggestions, I just wish they had more neutral pets that were useful that you didn't have to buy a gift card to receieve, maybe the new pet expansion will help in that area. :)