Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The word, "Noob"

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 15, 2010
lilmarco1994 wrote:
ya the word noob shuld be treated like a curse word open nor text should be able to use it it is very insulting. people take the word noob like your dum and slow and you not skilled at all this word should be banned
i am against it also. its not a bad word or anything its actually just short for newbie. People call me noob lots of times but i am a level 48 master! it amazes me how people get lucky and think that since they beat me i am weak.

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
Ya, I looked up " noob" on Google and it said newcomer! I was like really?

Then again level 10 people are calling me a legendary thaumaturge a NOOB!
Ya Rihanna it should be blocked! And because I am muted, people are calling me a noob because they think I DO have it and am just faking it!
When I am not!

Survivor
Apr 13, 2010
did you know that if you win AND your still being called a noob tell them "then why did you get beaten by one?: or "yea at least i owned you your a noob" and many other phrases like that lol its funny :D

Explorer
Feb 07, 2010
i agree they should block it to text chat and i think it should also be blocked in open chat.the reason why is because twice i have been called a noob :x one was because in pvp i ran out of cards and he called me a noob and reported him out for good(good thing i remembered about my treasure cards ).the other time was one of my friends!?!good thing i removed him after that hehehe.

Survivor
Jul 10, 2009
The definition of the word "Noob" is a player who is new to the game. Since, new players are, well, new, they don't know how to play the game as well as others, and have low damage spells, and low health. Players have begun to use it offensively, and calling any player who has made a bad, or sometimes stupid, move, or doing anything else that may seem "noobish". I've been called a noob several times before, and it is almost always when I have done something that they didn't want me to (such as killing the boss when they wanted to), or dueling them and killing them.
Personally, I find the word noob not derogatory, but rather, highly amusing. It amuses me whenever a player feels the need to insult those higher than themselves, to make them feel better. Blocking the word, in my opinion, will do nothing. No matter how strict the filter is, players will always find a way around it, or substitute it with another word. Children need to learn that not everyone in the world is nice, and that just because some players try to hurt your feelings with a nasty little word, doesn't mean that you have to run and cry and ask to have it removed. Noob is just a pathetic little term some people use to try and insult you, or as I believe someone previously stated, try to "distract" you from the dueling match because they're afraid of their chances of losing.
Noob is a useless, pointless word that a person uses when they're upset at someone else for beating them. Come on, parents, you mean to tell me you haven't dropped a pot on your foot and let out some nasty language? Or been driving on the road and being cut off by someone and calling them a nasty name? It's all the same. The only difference is that noob isn't nearly as hurtful. It's just a little pathetic attempt to make someone feel on top. Everyone wants to win, its human nature. Everyone wants to feel on top, be superior, and be the winner. When someone loses, they are so upset so they try to be on top of you, by calling you a noob and making you feel low, therefore, making them feel superior. But honestly, if you've won the match, and they're spitting out a little word to try and make them on top, who's superior? You are. People should learn to ignore the word noob, like I said before, I find it amusing. When I'm called a noob, I laugh. It's funny. Learn to ignore little spiteful comments, and ignore them.
Blocking the word would be totally useless and pointless. It could be replaced by an even hurtful new word. Or simply be replaced by something. There's always a way around the sensor.

Survivor
Jul 18, 2010
Rihanna12 wrote:
I'm sure you walk around hearing people saying the word, noob, I hate that word. Did you know: That some people think noobs are dumb people. It's a common misunderstanding. I don't think people should make fun of people at most level 12, because they were one at one point, even I was one (so cute when I was just a little apprentice theurgist), so I think the text chat should block the word, noob, because it's not correctly used, and I don't like it all!

Caroline Sunbright
Grandmaster theugist level 50

I storngly agree! people call people noobs for no reason, i understand getting insulted and many bad salutations, but its usless! calling someone a noob is INSULTING AND UNPLEASENT! very well, this word is wierd, i hate the way it sounds! and legendarys that a bragging about lvl, just dont!

Caroline, yeah we where all cute when we novices and apprentices

And the definition of 'noob' is a low lvl person, and THAT is STILL INSULTING! so KI, please remove this word

Mycin DragonHaven, Level 41(hoping lvl 42!) Sorcerer, No Noobs around!

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
Survivor
May 16, 2009
People get the wrong idea on this word. They think, "Oh, well you're just some average Joe. Noob." The prblem is, even when we are a little smaller then them, we've worked hard to get where we are too. The people who use the word a) know what it means and think you're weak b) aren't smart enoguh to figure out what it means and use it like an insult because they've heard others say that.

Survivor
Oct 10, 2010
onionbag wrote:
sanmil0963 wrote:
I often hear this word a lot, but don't understand it's meaning. Would someone be so kind to tell me what a noob is?

Thank you.

In all honesty I would like this answer also. It seems that the old fashioned military term New On Base, NOB, has been street slanged into a demeaning slur, noob, so as to invoke an emotional response. It is simply put a common form of verbal harrassment. If my statements are correct, it's a bit petty. Would anyone care to confirm or correct my understanding of the meaning for the term noob? This is the only logical assessment I can deduce as to the origins for the term. Thanks

well there are many meanings to noob

1: new
2:weak
3:weaker
4:mean

Delver
Mar 15, 2009
you got to be joking! people crying because they where called a "noob" who cares,why not talk about the foul language that happens in PvP or the sex talk i've seen in game.

Why wast time on a word that means new player,unless the word really fits you then theres still nothing to complain about.

So lets quit crying about the word "noob" and work on the bad language that in game,

Michael RedBlood level 60 "NOOB" LOL

Explorer
Jul 15, 2009
Well I don't really have an opinion, but let me tell you guys what the word noob means. Noob means stupid person a person that doesn't know life, now the other word that is also pronounced -noob- is called newb. It means new person a person with little experience. Ok those of you who have been called noob, ignore the person (or the people) and move on, they are just angry or want to make themselves feel better about themselves, and to let you guys know if Kingsisle didn't want this word in their game, then they should have blocked it out in the first place. The game was made in 2008, its been 3 years, and they still have the word in their game.

Level 52 Pyromancer Jacqueline Winter Flame.

Survivor
Feb 08, 2009
Rihanna12 wrote:
I'm sure you walk around hearing people saying the word, noob, I hate that word. Did you know: That some people think noobs are dumb people. It's a common misunderstanding. I don't think people should make fun of people at most level 12, because they were one at one point, even I was one (so cute when I was just a little apprentice theurgist), so I think the text chat should block the word, noob, because it's not correctly used, and I don't like it all!

Caroline Sunbright

I hate the word noob too but it is mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Survivor
May 03, 2010
Lol just say "thank you for noticing," put them on ignore, and walk away

Matthew Summerleaf, grandmaster theurgist
Jack Shadowblood, adept diviner

Adherent
May 20, 2010
sanmil0963 wrote:
I often hear this word a lot, but don't understand it's meaning. Would someone be so kind to tell me what a noob is?

Thank you.

A "noob" originally meant one of these:

1) A rude player.
2) An annoying player.
3) A player who doesn't want to learn or to work for what he/she gets.

Some decided that "noob" was easier to type than "newb" or "newbie", so to them, "noob" also became a new player. I suppose they think it makes them cool to call a lower-level a "noob". Doing so makes them "noobs".

Survivor
Feb 13, 2011
I always say 'yeah, and i am proud of it, anything else?' shut them up most of the time. No need to be upset as you know to yourself what you are really capable of. You also don't need to prove something just for the point of proving that you are great. Even if you fail or lose, doesn't necessarily imply you're a loser. There will always be someone above and below you, and people who say noob to insult lose track of what this game has set for us (apart from doing business), it is to make friends and share ideas. We are all great in our own ways :)

Survivor
Dec 10, 2009
Rihanna12 wrote:

Caroline Sunbright

I myself as a level 28 Life have been called that too. That is a very offensive term in my view. Noob. It's just so cruel! My little sister got called a noob and she shut off her PC and went upstairs crying. It's just so mean!

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
I get what you mean, but you have to look at it this way. How is it the word's fault that people constantly use it incorrectly? In my opinion, banning a word because you don't like being called said word and banning a word because it truly is offensive are two different things. It means "a person who is new to an activity" which isn't offensive. The fact that people use it in a negative way (ex: to mean "a dumb person") isn't KI's problem. A solution that works every time: develop a thicker skin. I also think banning the word would cause an uproar. See how many people complained about caps being banned in the game and you'll see what I'm talking about. I really don't wanna see a thousand thread with the same "we want 'noob' back" title.

Delver
Mar 15, 2009
dolphin66297 wrote:
The definition of the word "Noob" is a player who is new to the game. Since, new players are, well, new, they don't know how to play the game as well as others, and have low damage spells, and low health. Players have begun to use it offensively, and calling any player who has made a bad, or sometimes stupid, move, or doing anything else that may seem "noobish". I've been called a noob several times before, and it is almost always when I have done something that they didn't want me to (such as killing the boss when they wanted to), or dueling them and killing them.
Personally, I find the word noob not derogatory, but rather, highly amusing. It amuses me whenever a player feels the need to insult those higher than themselves, to make them feel better. Blocking the word, in my opinion, will do nothing. No matter how strict the filter is, players will always find a way around it, or substitute it with another word. Children need to learn that not everyone in the world is nice, and that just because some players try to hurt your feelings with a nasty little word, doesn't mean that you have to run and cry and ask to have it removed. Noob is just a pathetic little term some people use to try and insult you, or as I believe someone previously stated, try to "distract" you from the dueling match because they're afraid of their chances of losing.
Noob is a useless, pointless word that a person uses when they're upset at someone else for beating them. Come on, parents, you mean to tell me you haven't dropped a pot on your foot and let out some nasty language? Or been driving on the road and being cut off by someone and calling them a nasty name? It's all the same. The only difference is that noob isn't nearly as hurtful. It's just a little pathetic attempt to make someone feel on top. Everyone wants to win, its human nature. Everyone wants to feel on top, be superior, and be the winner. When someone loses, they are so upset so they try to be on top of you, by calling you a noob and making you feel low, therefore, making them feel superior. But honestly, if you've won the match, and they're spitting out a little word to try and make them on top, who's superior? You are. People should learn to ignore the word noob, like I said before, I find it amusing. When I'm called a noob, I laugh. It's funny. Learn to ignore little spiteful comments, and ignore them.
Blocking the word would be totally useless and pointless. It could be replaced by an even hurtful new word. Or simply be replaced by something. There's always a way around the sensor.

good post i like it,noob is just a word and dont need to be removed,and they will find a new word to replace it with,sad but true.so why wast the time replacing it.let then have the little victory of calling you a noob,because it is a hollow one any way,and to reply back when they do call you a noob just makes it a real victory.

M.RedBlood death lev.60

Defender
Jun 21, 2009
Rihanna12 wrote:

Caroline Sunbright
Rihanna12, great post. I'm sick of hearing these moronic Masters/Grandmasters/Legendaries and even MAGUS'S calling people noobs across the worlds. Did you know some Grandmasters that I know IRL sit in the Commons and report people for no reason?

Mastermind
Mar 28, 2009
You are right of course they were once low levels and no one should get blamed for that :x it makes me so sad and mad :(

Explorer
Dec 21, 2008
Some people call others noob just to show that they are strong and cool. Especially in pvp. people call others noobs so they can show they are cool. Kingsisle should bann insults and threats. And to the people who say noob you are just showing off which does not prove anything. The victims just report or just say you are showing nothing and there is no point of saying noob.

Defender
Jun 21, 2009
colagada wrote:
sanmil0963 wrote:

Thank you.

A "noob" originally meant one of these:

1) A rude player.
2) An annoying player.
3) A player who doesn't want to learn or to work for what he/she gets.

Some decided that "noob" was easier to type than "newb" or "newbie", so to them, "noob" also became a new player. I suppose they think it makes them cool to call a lower-level a "noob". Doing so makes them "noobs".

Look, Cologada, you'll disagree with this, but you once were a lower level. And #3 is wrong. If you found a way to beat Wintertusk easily, don't disagree, you would. everybody would, so you can't blame them. No offense intended.

Survivor
Dec 22, 2008
kitty5626 wrote:
agreed it annoys me a lot and i see a lot of grand masters saying it the most and even lvl twenty people say it i hope they block it soon

from level forty eight life wizard

Why block it, just be the bigger person and let go and ignore the guy/girl and if they keep bothering you just report them

Survivor
Dec 22, 2008
Rogtim wrote:
Having 5 grandmasters, one at level 46 and one at level 21, when someone calls me noob, I just say thank you. They don't know how to respond to that. Gets them every time! Don't let it bug you.

Rogan Firehammer - GM Fire
Blake Firehammer - GM Death
Angus Firehammer - GM Myth
Chase Firehammer - GM Balance
Ian Firehammer - GM Ice
Reed Firehammer - 46 Life
Adam Firehammer - 21 Storm

This guy is so right just be the bigger person
Blaze IceBlade
Level 60 Ice Wizard(btw couldn't spell the real ice wiz name xD)

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
hunt1199 wrote:
lilmarco1994 wrote:
ya the word noob shuld be treated like a curse word open nor text should be able to use it it is very insulting. people take the word noob like your dum and slow and you not skilled at all this word should be banned
i am against it also. its not a bad word or anything its actually just short for newbie. People call me noob lots of times but i am a level 48 master! it amazes me how people get lucky and think that since they beat me i am weak.

Newbie and noob are different, actually. Newbie is just a low level. And noob is an annoying low level.