Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The word, "Noob"

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 17, 2008
2
i comepletely agree. we were all low lvls once, what gives them the right to call us noobs if they themselves were low lvls to! i got called a noob plenty of times with my storm since he's only a lvl 9 and i learned to ignore it. but someone went to far with the noob thing and i set him straight. now he doesnt call others noobs anymore cause he my pal now. remember we were ALL once low lvls to!

-Seth legendshard, legendary life
-Connor frostsword, legendary ice :P

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
2730
Rihanna12 wrote:
hunt1199 wrote:
lilmarco1994 wrote:
ya the word noob shuld be treated like a curse word open nor text should be able to use it it is very insulting. people take the word noob like your dum and slow and you not skilled at all this word should be banned
i am against it also. its not a bad word or anything its actually just short for newbie. People call me noob lots of times but i am a level 48 master! it amazes me how people get lucky and think that since they beat me i am weak.


Newbie and noob are different, actually. Newbie is just a low level. And noob is an annoying low level.


I'll be honest. I can't find any defintion articulating noob as annoying. All definitions speak to the experience (or inexperience) of the subject in adjective. I did see differences in that noob was nearly exclusive to online gaming, while newbie was used for other genres.

Survivor
Aug 22, 2010
11
Yea ban 'noob' my friends called me that in real life but i got rid of that, now they call me it on Wizard101, so please please please ban the word noob and hobo they call me hobo, too, so can you please? :( :( :(

Explorer
Jul 31, 2010
60
I remember when my younger sister and I started playing the game. She was befriended by a guy, near the same level as her. He then messaged her "Your a Big Fat Noob" or something along those lines. She wasn't even thirteen, but had got text chat so we could play together while I was away and talk. I tried to report him, but he had defriended her afterwards and I couldn't figure out how to pull his list up to report. I was new too so I didn't know you could click on his words. I support the banning of the word noob. Someone once made this distinction to me- A noob is someone who is annoying, often rude and can be any level, whereas a newb means someone new to the game who wants to learn.

Delver
Oct 08, 2010
255
There is no way to get out of being called a noob after a pvp match. you win=you get called a noob. you lose=you get called a noob. Funny how people call you it no matter what.

Delver
Oct 08, 2010
255
onionbag wrote:
sanmil0963 wrote:
I often hear this word a lot, but don't understand it's meaning. Would someone be so kind to tell me what a noob is?

Thank you.


In all honesty I would like this answer also. It seems that the old fashioned military term New On Base, NOB, has been street slanged into a demeaning slur, noob, so as to invoke an emotional response. It is simply put a common form of verbal harrassment. If my statements are correct, it's a bit petty. Would anyone care to confirm or correct my understanding of the meaning for the term noob? This is the only logical assessment I can deduce as to the origins for the term. Thanks


isnt the word "noob" short for newbie? as in new player?

Delver
Oct 08, 2010
255
livee wrote:
Rihanna12 wrote:
I'm sure you walk around hearing people saying the word, noob, I hate that word. Did you know: That some people think noobs are dumb people. It's a common misunderstanding. I don't think people should make fun of people at most level 12, because they were one at one point, even I was one (so cute when I was just a little apprentice theurgist), so I think the text chat should block the word, noob, because it's not correctly used, and I don't like it all!

Caroline Sunbright
Grandmaster theugist level 50


the best part bout being called a "noob" in pvp is when you WIN at the end i always say after someone calls me a noob and i win a pvp: "I'M a noob? ok since I'M a noob, you were just OWNED by a noob, so am i REALLY a noob??? ;) XP" teehee!!! thats the best part!!!!

-olivia deathcaster


Ya same with me. Whenever i win and they call me a noob for no reason i just respond: you no i would rather lose against someone good then a noob

Survivor
Mar 02, 2009
48
I always reply with something like, "Coming from you, that must be a compliment. If I'm better than you, and I'm a noob, you must be pretty low."

The ones that are the first to insult are always the ones that throw temper tantrums when you beat them. I once fought a WL as a Private, he and his friends kept calling me a 'noob' and a 'cheater' and worked around the filter to swear at me. I found it very funny when I beat that WL and he downranked; he was too shocked to insult me before I ported away after laughing.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
816
Rihanna12 wrote:
I'm sure you walk around hearing people saying the word, noob, I hate that word. Did you know: That some people think noobs are dumb people. It's a common misunderstanding.


Yes. They use that word as an insult. Not just on this game, but every where on the net.

If they don't want to be insulting, they use newbie.

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
153
It's been two years and half since this complaint was logged.

I believe that Kings Isle unspoken response is that the word is here to stay.

Survivor
Apr 20, 2009
29
I could see both sides of this argument

On one hand even though the word noob technically isn't a insult, you know the people using it mean it as one

On the other hand, your talking about tons of gamers here! if they took out noob they would find some other meaner word and or phrase.

Kingsile is smart by leaving it in, Because noob is probably the nicest insult word they could have, (And it is a word that usually cant be carried over IRL)
If someone walked up to me IRL and called me a noob I probably wouldn't be Insulted because my first thought would be " If they use that word IRL then they probably don't have much of a life"

Survivor
Mar 26, 2011
14
I too think it is rude and annoying. As a legendary I know that mostly legendaries will say it to anyone lower than them and even more if they are losing.

Survivor
Nov 24, 2010
5
Rihanna12 wrote:
I'm sure you walk around hearing people saying the word, noob, I hate that word. Did you know: That some people think noobs are dumb people. It's a common misunderstanding. I don't think people should make fun of people at most level 12, because they were one at one point, even I was one (so cute when I was just a little apprentice theurgist), so I think the text chat should block the word, noob, because it's not correctly used, and I don't like it all!

Caroline Sunbright
Grandmaster theugist level 50


Yeah, I totally agree with you, Caroline, and also sometimes people take it too far and report you for no reason at all!

Defender
Jul 10, 2009
115
i agree and disagree. i agree because people always use that word. i disagree to because then they'll find new ways to say it, like NO O Be or something like that.

blaze duskstone legendary conjurer

Mastermind
Sep 19, 2009
301
Rihanna12 wrote:
I'm sure you walk around hearing people saying the word, noob, I hate that word. Did you know: That some people think noobs are dumb people. It's a common misunderstanding. I don't think people should make fun of people at most level 12, because they were one at one point, even I was one (so cute when I was just a little apprentice theurgist), so I think the text chat should block the word, noob, because it's not correctly used, and I don't like it all!

Caroline Sunbright
Grandmaster theugist level 50


agreed

Defender
Feb 15, 2009
136
I completely agree because once I accidentally turned off my text chat and had "noob chat" (quoted) and I found out that the person I thought had been nicely helping me had been making fun of me and my "noob chat"

Mastermind
May 13, 2011
381
yep, the word "noob" is way overused. even in other MMORPG's. i have been called that dozen of times and it makes me mad. people who call me that should watch out though for if people make me angry, it just encourages me to defeat them

Explorer
Jul 15, 2010
58
Noob does not bother me at all when I was a low level I called myself a noob! Not insulting at all may be a little rude to others but it is not a reportable offense. Sure people who taunt you and call you a noob are just being rude or might be joking sometimes. I am called a noob by other legendaries because I have not got my Phoenix pet yet and have not beat grizzleheim yet does not bother me at all I just ignore them and most of the time they are joking with me. Don't get phased by this word just calm down take a deep breath walk away or put them on your ignore list

Explorer
Jul 15, 2010
58
It is a good idea to leave noob in text chat because people will figure out a ruder and meaner term.

Survivor
Jun 30, 2011
4
Rihanna12 wrote:
I'm sure you walk around hearing people saying the word, noob, I hate that word. Did you know: That some people think noobs are dumb people. It's a common misunderstanding. I don't think people should make fun of people at most level 12, because they were one at one point, even I was one (so cute when I was just a little apprentice theurgist), so I think the text chat should block the word, noob, because it's not correctly used, and I don't like it all!

Caroline Sunbright
Grandmaster theugist level 50


Well, I know its used in the wrong way, but it does make sense to use the word noob sometimes. Like as someone suggested, when a novice maybe used a feint with a wand spell. But i also do not like it when people use the word noob in an inappropriate way. Like one time I was watching my friend in pvp, and upon losing, the guy my friend was fighting, called him a treasure noob. But my friend had told me that he was sad he had no treasure cards for the ranked pvp match he was about to play. ( And I also had none lol ) We didnt say anything, because we were both smart enough to not start a fight. The best thing to do when you see a person say noob in the wrong way is ignore that person, then maybe try to cheer up the person who got called noob, and maybe own the person who called him a noob in pvp :D But the last thing I might do, if it gets serious or something, and say i'm just watching in the commons, just ignore it and keep doing whatever your doing :)

Explorer
Mar 24, 2011
69
you all need to stop being sutch cry babies! just ignore them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! who cares anyways action speaks louder than words.
you should only care if someone finds out your information and comes to your house and calls you a noob then beats you up :( then i would actually feel bad for one o you.... if that happened to one of you.
Now srsly the one thing that really got me ticked was the whole thing where you cant interact with housing items. well see you people on the game i think? i be looking for the ones who say noob to report or ignore but i will most likely ignore :D ok :3 see ya :)

p.s.
the word noob is for babies

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
563
niyadjahan wrote:
i agree and disagree. i agree because people always use that word. i disagree to because then they'll find new ways to say it, like NO O Be or something like that.

blaze duskstone legendary conjurer


Well now they disabled caps so I won't be seeing it. Of course other open chat people will be, but I won't because I'm a filtered chat :-)

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
563
laurawatersong wrote:
It's been two years and half since this complaint was logged.

I believe that Kings Isle unspoken response is that the word is here to stay.


Actually just 1. I wasn't level 50 in January 09, I was a little baby wizard. Now level 60 :P

Mastermind
Nov 04, 2010
337
acrios90 wrote:
I could see both sides of this argument

On one hand even though the word noob technically isn't a insult, you know the people using it mean it as one

On the other hand, your talking about tons of gamers here! if they took out noob they would find some other meaner word and or phrase.

Kingsile is smart by leaving it in, Because noob is probably the nicest insult word they could have, (And it is a word that usually cant be carried over IRL)
If someone walked up to me IRL and called me a noob I probably wouldn't be Insulted because my first thought would be " If they use that word IRL then they probably don't have much of a life"
LOL my sister called me a noob the other day while i was playing Black Ops.

And I agree with you 110%. They should leave it in for those and many other reasons.

Survivor
Jul 14, 2009
27
URGH! I hate the word "Noob" also. Once when i was in Olde town some guy was dressed in beginner clothes and had a low badge on and was saying "Noobs! Noobs everywhere! I hate them!!!!!" and my sister called him a noob. So i stepped in and had to kinda break up the fight, but then my sister said "Well if your such a big level how about you duel us?!" so then he said ok and got in his lvl 50 clothes XD it was so embarassing.

Lindsey ThunderHorn Level 52 Necromancer