Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PVP Issues

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jan 29, 2009
It seems that when my son and myself team up to do PVP, we get to take on very powerful foes. We are level eight life and level five death respectively.

The first time we teamed up, we got to do battle with two level 35 life wizards. Hardly fair and to say the least, we lost rather quickly.

The second time we teamed up, we go to do battle with a Grandmaster Death and a Grandmaster Life wizard. This time, we fled since there would be no way in heck we would be able to win.

KI needs to look into this problem since I'm sure this isn't the only time this issue has reared its ugly head.

Thanks

Explorer
Jun 04, 2009
Hello WizardofWorI,

I'm sorry about your luck but that's how PVP works. There has been a number of helpful topics within these forums that explain how the ranking system is paired up and it might help you better understand the process (look under the Help and Support section under frequent questions). It sounds like you were matched up with "ranking down" PVP teams. Get used to it because "ranking down" is common practice and this is how individuals acquire their PVP gear so fast. I would suggest waiting to PVP until your a Grandmaster because the odds of this happening again are really good. I refuse to PVP with my son until he is a Grandmaster (he's currently level 47) because I refuse to spend all my time healing him. I have 4 Grandmasters (Death, Storm, Life, Balance) at this point in time and I have lost count on how many times I have been linked up with new players. I try to end it quickly and advise them also to wait until they are stronger. Hope this helps in your quest to better understand the process. Good luck in the future!

Defender
Jul 18, 2009
WizardofWorI wrote:
It seems that when my son and myself team up to do PVP, we get to take on very powerful foes. We are level eight life and level five death respectively.

The first time we teamed up, we got to do battle with two level 35 life wizards. Hardly fair and to say the least, we lost rather quickly.

The second time we teamed up, we go to do battle with a Grandmaster Death and a Grandmaster Life wizard. This time, we fled since there would be no way in heck we would be able to win.

KI needs to look into this problem since I'm sure this isn't the only time this issue has reared its ugly head.

Thanks

There really isn't a technical problem if you read the admin's post at the top regarding match ups. I would suggest if you want more equal matching is to play at more popular times and only accept a match that happens rather quickly once you join the queue. The longer you are in the queue the more "wide" the system will allow you to match up. This system assumes you want to play a match and are willing to deal with some not so close tolerance match ups.

I think the system is ok if you understand how it functions, because it allows people to get matches that are willing to gamble a bit.

As a side note, after player many many games over the decades, it is pretty hard to design and implement a PVP game that deals with all levels and I have a feeling the most effort to balance pvp assumes level 50's.

You will probably find more fairness once you both reach level 50. Perhaps in the time being play a practice match where you can control the level ranges that join your created match.

Survivor
Jun 09, 2009
You were probably high rank may be commanders or knights and they were privates. Did you get a chance to look at their ranks before you fled?

Djark

Defender
May 29, 2009

All good responses so far about the PVP matching system.

Why would you even flee a match?

1. The pair of GMs could very well have been "ranking down". I won't go into the details of why they do this, but high level players will lose on purpose to gain arena tickets faster. In which case, your team would have won.

2. Even if you were to lose a match, you get 3 arena tickets. If you flee, you get none. If they were experience PVP players, they probably would've been you in 4 rounds anyways so you don't even save that much time.

Explorer
Jan 29, 2009
No, they were also high rank PVPers at I believe Warlord and whichever step is just below that one. My son is a private and I am a sargeant.

I think the formula also needs to take into account levels but that's just me.