Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Lag

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 09, 2014
Dude, i may recommend some of these ideas:

1) Change wizard101's resolution
2)put it on full screen then put it back to normal screen
* Also, you could just realm hop to a much less crowded realm to a not-so-full realm, or just go a place where there is less activity :D
3)Close down any excess websites or other games to let your computer process a thing at a time.
4) If that doesn't work, restart your computer
5) Ok, you're pretty screwed if you don't have it fixed by now, by this time, i recommend doing a virus scan on your computer to see if any viruses have gotten in that could potentially be slowing your computer down.

Hope this helped!

Delver
Aug 31, 2012
Every few seconds when walking, the screen "jerks" or lags for a split second. My loading screen takes really long like about 10 seconds and I have trouble keeping up with my friends. Some people have loading screens take only take a couple of seconds. Collecting wisps of mana is also annoying. I stand on top of it, and it doesn't register for a few seconds. In battle, every time I discard or enchant, it freezes for a few seconds on bad days 5 seconds, and sometimes only half a second on random days. It's getting really annoying and difficult to play. Are there ways to reduce lag?

I play on a MacBook Air OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.4

Administrator
Survivor
Jul 23, 2014
I was just about to post this issue myself. The thing for me is, it only happens to my fire. My life, death, and balance are fine but when I get on my fire it starts to lag. It doesn't affect me in the arena though. When I am in the arena all the lag disappears. It's getting annoying and very hard to quest and play generally in Wizard101. A friend suggested it's because I have tons of things on my fire and it's lagging me up, my fire is the lowest level of all my wizards and has almost nothing since he doesn't craft, train pets, or garden.

Delver
Aug 31, 2012
I was finally able to reduce the lag by a lot, even get rid of most of it thanks to the staff at code weavers. All I had to do was uninstall Wizard101 from my mac, and reinstall it. Now, the loading screen only takes about 4 seconds.

Survivor
Oct 13, 2014
Hello!

So long story short, I had Wizard101 on my laptop before, and it worked fine. No lags, no bugs, nothing like that. Then my laptop went crazy, I had to send it back to get it fixed, it got fixed, and I re-downloaded Wizard101 to play with my friends. Unfortunately, when I did, I logged in, created a new character, and noticed a HUGE lag in my overall gameplay. Whenever my character moves is the worst. What I'm wondering is what kind of updates have been made in the time that I haven't had my laptop and what I can do (aside from the obvious resolution fix) to eliminate the lag.

Thanks!

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
ceruleaneagle on May 5, 2016 wrote:
Hello!

So long story short, I had Wizard101 on my laptop before, and it worked fine. No lags, no bugs, nothing like that. Then my laptop went crazy, I had to send it back to get it fixed, it got fixed, and I re-downloaded Wizard101 to play with my friends. Unfortunately, when I did, I logged in, created a new character, and noticed a HUGE lag in my overall gameplay. Whenever my character moves is the worst. What I'm wondering is what kind of updates have been made in the time that I haven't had my laptop and what I can do (aside from the obvious resolution fix) to eliminate the lag.

Thanks!
Ever been to Polaris?

Lvl 110
Lvl 91
Lvl 27

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
Contacting Customer Support at support@wizard101.com can definitely help identify the issue and they may ask you for files from your computer to help identify the problem. In addition, here are a few more ideas for dealing with lag:

1) Make sure any un-needed background applications are not running. Having multiple applications running at once can use up bandwidth, and process usage on your computer.

Maybe you need a computer clean-up (i.e. run a system defrag, delete some old programs &/or files, etc.)

2) Another thing to check on is your Internet connection. Slower speeds will result in choppier game play.

3) Verify that your graphics cards are in line with the system requirements.

4) Turn off your Quest Helper. You can do this through the options menu.

5) Adjust your Game options to help ease the work of your Graphics card:
- Modify the resolution to a smaller number (800 X 600 for example).
- Change the Graphics Detail setting to low
- Turn off Shadows
- Set Geometry detail to Low
- Set Texture Detail to Low
- In Gameplay settings:
- Set “Overhead Name” to Others
- Turn the Full Screen option to On.

6) Play in realms with fewer people in them. You can do this by going to the Options page and selecting the Realms tab to change to a less crowded realm (this only works if there are a lot of people around where you are).

Explorer
Dec 02, 2014
Dworgyn on May 6, 2016 wrote:
Contacting Customer Support at support@wizard101.com can definitely help identify the issue and they may ask you for files from your computer to help identify the problem. In addition, here are a few more ideas for dealing with lag:

1) Make sure any un-needed background applications are not running. Having multiple applications running at once can use up bandwidth, and process usage on your computer.

Maybe you need a computer clean-up (i.e. run a system defrag, delete some old programs &/or files, etc.)

2) Another thing to check on is your Internet connection. Slower speeds will result in choppier game play.

3) Verify that your graphics cards are in line with the system requirements.

4) Turn off your Quest Helper. You can do this through the options menu.

5) Adjust your Game options to help ease the work of your Graphics card:
- Modify the resolution to a smaller number (800 X 600 for example).
- Change the Graphics Detail setting to low
- Turn off Shadows
- Set Geometry detail to Low
- Set Texture Detail to Low
- In Gameplay settings:
- Set “Overhead Name” to Others
- Turn the Full Screen option to On.

6) Play in realms with fewer people in them. You can do this by going to the Options page and selecting the Realms tab to change to a less crowded realm (this only works if there are a lot of people around where you are).
ya I try all that before it dose no good I can tell you this for a fact lately I noticed there not just been a incress in lag but glitch's like with bosses some quest lag then you think you have picked it up and done it but really you didn't and sometimes there's fights on unicorn ways that wont start because the monster wont activated the arena thing so its not just internet because I had the best internet that money could buy at one point and still I was getting lag I think there needs to be a steyem patch or something to fix this problem Don't get me wrong I don't really mind it its just a little annoying that's all

Survivor
Sep 09, 2010
What is the deal with Game Lag and getting disconnected all the time? This is getting REAL OLD, REAL FAST!!!

Explorer
Aug 01, 2013
Same having the same problem right now been disconnected 2 times please fix this kingsisle!

Survivor
Sep 04, 2016
I agree. I recently just got introduced to Wizard101 a few weeks ago because of my fiance, and when we get on the game is more so of our bonding time. To keep getting disconnected (when my WiFi is up and running fine) makes the game less fun and more irritating. Within these past two weeks I have seen the same issues with more complaints and no permanent fixes. Please fix the system errors. Also, I hope that this thread do not get a reply in regards to referring to any other thread or recently Q & A to fix our problem.

Survivor
May 06, 2013
I agree. Does anyone know if any body is working on this? The past few days have been laggy and today is so bad no one is able to switch realms even go to your house and it keeps disconnecting all together and having to quit out of the game. What is the deal with the servers?!?

Survivor
Aug 12, 2010
Is anyone else getting serious game lag, freezing, and not being able to go places without getting "that area is closed right now, try again later"? This is seriously getting old! I can't tell you how many times I have been frozen while in a dungeon, or trying to get to various worlds to farm, or quest, and I can't get through. So frustrating, especially since I'm paying to be a member as well as all the time and hard work I have put into the game for 8 years. It would be a same to lose a member to this issue that continues to happen almost every time I log on and start getting into a battle, only to freeze up and then get booted off altogether. Can we please get this bug fixed?

Defender
Nov 19, 2009
RedBear is referring to the time where the game had many players disconnected and also Many Lagged on sep 18th at night.

If Kingsisle could tell us where news about downtimes and possible issues are occurring it would be great to notify the players so they know what to expect and I am also sure Ki support get tons of emails about this as well so having some kind of notice somewhere would help. Where can users go to know if there are possible widespread Issues with the game?

Survivor
Jun 26, 2009
I'm sure everyone is aware of the reoccurring server-side lag and disconnecting. It's starting to get a little aggravating having collectively hundreds if not thousands of hours of our paid-for time wasted, where we can't PvP, finish quests from, tend to our gardens, talk and hang out with our fellow wizards. We understand things happen, but with so many players, especially those with limited time, getting interrupted without compensation or at least more than a "We're fixing it," is just frustrating.

Survivor
Dec 11, 2015
I have three different wizards. When playing with each, the game says "Sorry young wizard, this area is not ready, try back later", and the location is different for each wizard. It doesn't matter the realm I go to, just that when I switch realms, the location that is "not ready" is different. I saw other wizards playing that were having similar troubles. Is there a bug on the system right now? There is nothing mentioned in the message boards, so I was wondering.

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
Everything appears to have been righted by around 8:30am this morning. Please log in and try again.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
What are other ways to reduce lag and increase performance besides turning down Graphics and Texture Detail to Low?

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
Survivor
Dec 31, 2015
Recently Wizard101 has been lagging immensely, this is unusual as this amount of lag has never been present for me before. Has this been happening with anyone else?

Survivor
Oct 20, 2012
My games been lagging for a split second every 5-10 minutes but it's not enough to where it bothers my game play.

Survivor
Jul 27, 2008
I've been lagging constantly and not sure what the problem is, I've reset my modem and router countless times. My internet is not the problem nor is my graphics card as I have a Radeon RX 580 8 GB series. Not sure if W101 is getting DDOS attacks. please help

Administrator
Mythh Legendd on Mar 16, 2019 wrote:
I've been lagging constantly and not sure what the problem is, I've reset my modem and router countless times. My internet is not the problem nor is my graphics card as I have a Radeon RX 580 8 GB series. Not sure if W101 is getting DDOS attacks. please help
Hi Mythh! It could be a random Internet issue. Is it still occurring for you?

Survivor
Jul 27, 2008
Hi! Yes it’s still occurring for me, I’ve tested other games and it seems to be fine. However when I play w101, game will lag and go in and out before constantly losing connection to the server.