Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Death spells not getting full enchantment

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
Why does death spells not get full Enchantment from trained spells like Colossal and Epic? When I stack them instead of getting an additonal +300 I only get an additional +200. Really rather unfair to death wizards. It's not giving us the full amount of our enchantments. -100.? I just started playing the game after years, and it's things like this that really confuse me, and just wonder.... why?

Delver
Dec 08, 2016
jakehjk3 on Nov 7, 2017 wrote:
Why does death spells not get full Enchantment from trained spells like Colossal and Epic? When I stack them instead of getting an additonal +300 I only get an additional +200. Really rather unfair to death wizards. It's not giving us the full amount of our enchantments. -100.? I just started playing the game after years, and it's things like this that really confuse me, and just wonder.... why?
While I don't fully know the reason behind it either, I've heard that Death would be a little overpowered if we had our drains fully enchanted, which isn't really the case in my opinion. The school isn't known for being a hitting school and our spells tend to be on the weaker side (there's a reason we've been given Feint), which gives us a slight disadvantage, so it'd be great if we could fully enchant our spells. I was so happy when we got Headless Horseman damage-wise, so I'm just hoping it won't be reduced in the future...because if the damage were to be reduced, the spell should at least be given after-effects to make up for the change. This should have been the case with Khrulhu.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
The reason is because drain spells are considered a "two-for-one" type spell (hit+heal). We take a small penalty for that in the form of damage enchantments not working 100% on them.

Not saying I agree with it, but this is the reason we were given.

Alia Misthaven, 120
Fallon Raven, 80

Defender
Dec 26, 2016
Since drain spells deal damage and then give half of that damage to the caster as health, the enchantment has to also enchant the healing side. If it doesn't do this, you're going to get as much health as you would have if you didn't enchant your spell.

It stinks, I agree, but it's necessary.

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
Actually it's not necessary at all. Death doesn't have much power anyways, so to deduct -100 from those half heal spells doesn't make much sense.. It's not like it's all that much over all anyways so why take any from them at all? It's +100 we are talking about. They don't do that to any other school's spells and I can think of tons of other school spells that should get that kind of penalty.

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
Why doesn't Fire's Link spell get -100 then for Epic then? If what you are saying is true than why does every other school that has half heal spells like Fire's Link not get cut? Death's half heal spells are the only ones to get cut. It really isn't fair. Cut everyone's half heal spells then.

Explorer
Jul 25, 2010
thatgrumpypanda on Nov 7, 2017 wrote:
Since drain spells deal damage and then give half of that damage to the caster as health, the enchantment has to also enchant the healing side. If it doesn't do this, you're going to get as much health as you would have if you didn't enchant your spell.

It stinks, I agree, but it's necessary.
That makes a lot of sense actually.
Let's say you're enchanting a Scarecrow with an Epic (+300).
67% (+200) of the enchant is used for the damaging part, and the rest (+100) is being used for the healing portion.

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
I trained in the sun school. Epic, Colossal, ect. I've noticed my half heal spells like wraith, and Frank only get a +200 and not the +300 for Epic like it should. I have yet to hear a legit reason from anyone why death is the ONLY school to get this type of deduction for their half heal spells. Why does Fire's Link spell not get the same deduction? Why does Life's Wings of Fate not get the same deduction? Why does it seem to be Death ONLY that gets ripped off from their full enhancement. I trained in the sun school to get the full 300 from Epic. Not just 200. Then to not apply the same penalty to other schools with the same types of spells is unfair. I would just like a reasonable explanation from anyone why it's okay to do this to just death half heal spells but not to other schools that have the same types of spells? If you are gonna do it to death do it to everyone.

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
This is not a bug and has been discussed in the past.

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/halstons-laboratory/death-spells-nerfed-35666
https://www.wizard101.com/forum/halstons-laboratory/wraith-gargantuan-is-only-650-not-725--35160

"Drain spells are more powerful than standard damage spells.
We made the outcome of using Gargantuan and other improvement spells on drain spells less effective to balance out the damage."