Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Bosses saying disturbing things

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 14, 2009
40
So you know how when you enter a boss-cave and you get a little chat sequence with the boss, which is usually some kinda threat? Allot of these little intros aren't very serious but some actually made me sick to the stomach, no joke, and I feel they may not be kid appropriate either.

There was this one boss in mangrove marsh or somewhere around that area, and what I heard was a bit disturbing. " I have an empty hole inside of me, why dont you come and let me try to fill it with your heart". It could just be me, but this does not sound ok, at least that's what I think.

Another chat intro I though was bad was when in you fight some guy in Tierra de brea, named "Bad Taste", he tells about this so called "bad taste". He then says something along the lines of " I've got a bad taste in my mouth, why don't I try washing it out with your blood" I am very serious and this is not a joke, I found this to be just plain morbid and sickening, that's just my opinion though...

I don't aim to offend those who designed the game, I just though this should be rebooked. Thanks.

John RubySpear PvP Captain (A1)

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
937
Yeah, some of these are a bit creepy and graphic.

Good old Poca-You-in-the-Eye Cruel Star.

Cipactli is sort of nauseating too. "Go into my mouth" and all that.

I suppose it contributes to the atmosphere of gruesome monsters and vengeful undead. But earlier versions of the "I'm going to eat you" theme were well played. "Who ordered wizard for lunch?" and such were funnier and in better taste. (Pardon the pun)

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
2638
You know you are totally right, I thought the same thing when I heard these things. I also was a little put off by it. It certainly doesn't fit the motif of the game by far, for me anyway.

Apparently KI is aiming for a more mature audience now so maybe they do not believe children or sensitive to violence, adults, like me, are questing in these areas? I ended up kind of skipping though the dialog to get on with the quest but it did stick in my head as in poor taste (pun intended).

I think KI should revisit these, a bit too upsetting, type of dialogs and maybe tone them down more for general audiences because I have helped a few children with quests in AZ so they are there.

Survivor
Sep 10, 2008
12
that is how w101 gets past being not kid-friendly. the higher lvl you are, the less likely that you are actually a kid. therefore, precautions made to avoid violence and other inappropriate content are decreased. i actually approve of this kind of game design because by lvl 90, this game basically becomes a better version of other games similar to w101. it is definitely worth the few kids that understand what the game is hinting at. that is one of the biggest reasons that i enjoy w101. btw you also kinda get that this game is for older people if you look at discussions related to references the game makes throughout the story line.

Survivor
Nov 21, 2009
2
I just think that if you find some of these things disturbing son listen to it but I personally don't have a problem with it is a pun and aimed at adults not children as there are very few children in av and as mainly az so please KI don't change them.

Luke thundercaster lvl 90 Promethean pyromancer

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2012
354
Also, in Tartarus, the Floating Dog heads 0-0. That is so disturbing.

Defender
Jun 17, 2012
148
John RubySpear on Aug 2, 2013 wrote:
So you know how when you enter a boss-cave and you get a little chat sequence with the boss, which is usually some kinda threat? Allot of these little intros aren't very serious but some actually made me sick to the stomach, no joke, and I feel they may not be kid appropriate either.

There was this one boss in mangrove marsh or somewhere around that area, and what I heard was a bit disturbing. " I have an empty hole inside of me, why dont you come and let me try to fill it with your heart". It could just be me, but this does not sound ok, at least that's what I think.

Another chat intro I though was bad was when in you fight some guy in Tierra de brea, named "Bad Taste", he tells about this so called "bad taste". He then says something along the lines of " I've got a bad taste in my mouth, why don't I try washing it out with your blood" I am very serious and this is not a joke, I found this to be just plain morbid and sickening, that's just my opinion though...

I don't aim to offend those who designed the game, I just though this should be rebooked. Thanks.

John RubySpear PvP Captain (A1)
just turn your sound off and don't read the message. it doesn't bother me much.

Astrologist
Oct 22, 2011
1077
Honestly, I've been through Azteca several times and I can not remember what the storyline is, let alone what the bosses say.

But, maybe KI can change the wording a bit so it doesn't sound so harsh?

Astrologist
Oct 22, 2011
1077
daviddeathw101 on Aug 7, 2013 wrote:
that is how w101 gets past being not kid-friendly. the higher lvl you are, the less likely that you are actually a kid. therefore, precautions made to avoid violence and other inappropriate content are decreased. i actually approve of this kind of game design because by lvl 90, this game basically becomes a better version of other games similar to w101. it is definitely worth the few kids that understand what the game is hinting at. that is one of the biggest reasons that i enjoy w101. btw you also kinda get that this game is for older people if you look at discussions related to references the game makes throughout the story line.
It's still labeled as a "family friendly" game. There are still a lot of younger players who make it to and through Azteca, either on their own or with family members.

If you are meaning more adult-type games that W101 is becoming similar to, then this shouldn't be the case. W101 is a unique game that separates itself from others by being family friendly and attracts players of all ages. The content should also follow the family friendly concept.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
937
the mythonator on Aug 10, 2013 wrote:
just turn your sound off and don't read the message. it doesn't bother me much.
Not a helpful suggestion.

Kids aren't going to know what's coming next, they will have their sound on when they hop on the sigil. Guess what? They will still hear and see it.

Survivor
Jun 09, 2011
12
John RubySpear on Aug 2, 2013 wrote:
So you know how when you enter a boss-cave and you get a little chat sequence with the boss, which is usually some kinda threat? Allot of these little intros aren't very serious but some actually made me sick to the stomach, no joke, and I feel they may not be kid appropriate either.

There was this one boss in mangrove marsh or somewhere around that area, and what I heard was a bit disturbing. " I have an empty hole inside of me, why dont you come and let me try to fill it with your heart". It could just be me, but this does not sound ok, at least that's what I think.

Another chat intro I though was bad was when in you fight some guy in Tierra de brea, named "Bad Taste", he tells about this so called "bad taste". He then says something along the lines of " I've got a bad taste in my mouth, why don't I try washing it out with your blood" I am very serious and this is not a joke, I found this to be just plain morbid and sickening, that's just my opinion though...

I don't aim to offend those who designed the game, I just though this should be rebooked. Thanks.

John RubySpear PvP Captain (A1)
I agree because little kids might get frightened! :P

Survivor
Jun 09, 2011
12
the mythonator on Aug 10, 2013 wrote:
just turn your sound off and don't read the message. it doesn't bother me much.
But, still its not ok!

Survivor
Oct 07, 2012
37
i have no idea why someone would do that. i agree change the chat

Survivor
Oct 07, 2012
37
John RubySpear on Aug 2, 2013 wrote:
So you know how when you enter a boss-cave and you get a little chat sequence with the boss, which is usually some kinda threat? Allot of these little intros aren't very serious but some actually made me sick to the stomach, no joke, and I feel they may not be kid appropriate either.

There was this one boss in mangrove marsh or somewhere around that area, and what I heard was a bit disturbing. " I have an empty hole inside of me, why dont you come and let me try to fill it with your heart". It could just be me, but this does not sound ok, at least that's what I think.

Another chat intro I though was bad was when in you fight some guy in Tierra de brea, named "Bad Taste", he tells about this so called "bad taste". He then says something along the lines of " I've got a bad taste in my mouth, why don't I try washing it out with your blood" I am very serious and this is not a joke, I found this to be just plain morbid and sickening, that's just my opinion though...

I don't aim to offend those who designed the game, I just though this should be rebooked. Thanks.

John RubySpear PvP Captain (A1)
bad taste, try water. why KI why

Defender
Dec 27, 2011
121
I guess it is getting more like that as the worlds get higher and higher.

Antonio, Level 49 Master Pyromancer

Survivor
Jun 02, 2012
10
maybe im just too insensitive but I think that is no big deal at all. you guys are really over reacting. sorry. I don't mean to offend

Survivor
Feb 18, 2012
23
Man, You know your'e right never though about it. You are one smart guy/girl. ;)

Joseph Icestalker level 24

Joseph Pixietamer level 11

Caroline Deathmancer level 3

Caroline Ironvault level 2

Survivor
Jul 08, 2009
20
It makes me sick to know that these bosses are saying this and it like creeps me out to know that all the bosses before Azteca were not that you know violent in words

Christopher Life Heart

Survivor
Jul 08, 2009
20
horselover753 on Aug 11, 2013 wrote:
But, still its not ok!
I agree

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
488
Yes, I agree with this. Foulgaze says "The last thing you'll see is my face!" Creepy huh? Make this a little less creepy.

Explorer
Dec 11, 2009
61
Yeah, but I'm kinda immune to it. And it's just a game. Dont like, dont read.

Remember, this game does say for everyone 10+. And yes, it is a family game. For people 10+.

But it is a little disturbing. Just remember it's all pixels. And your Wizard can zap them (in my case).

Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
1
I honestly fully agree on this. Seeing the bosses saying some really awkward things, kind of makes the game not really meant for kids. I know they don't mean anything bad, just making an opening for the boss, but it kinda makes me feel uncomfortable.

Jessica GoldenBlade Level 90

Survivor
Jul 29, 2009
13
i was just reading this and afew minutes later i saw a boss saying something rude to me

"did you make that big boon outside? what a ruckus. it made my ears ring. so i think i'll rip yours off. fair?"

he is threatening to rip my ears off

this is battling jackie, the ice boss in one of the towers in outer yard, azteca

i think it should be changed, this is kind of violent,

Survivor
Aug 06, 2009
44
a boss in celestia (I can't remember who it is) says something like "i smell wizardry soon there will be blood on the water" i think it was kind of disturbing.

blaze ashblood lvl 70 fire

Historian
Jul 28, 2011
600
Yea I noticed that as well.....Not a lot of kids are in Azteca only a few. I guess maybe KI thought that the more hard a game gets, the more violent the dialogue gets. W101 has never been 100% kid friendly because Death and sad storylines are involved.....but now this is getting a little odd

Angela Dragonstone