Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

why are we just nown as healers?????

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 29, 2013
105
KOblivion on May 4, 2014 wrote:
Since when?

When i go into a large fight, With what little resistance and high damage with an ice a life and a balance i expect the life to make sure the team isn't dying. You're not special, You need to help the team out. You can blade and attack when everything is going well.

Every school has unreasonable requests, But i really don't believe that being a team player is one.
Exactly!

I've been a victim of the whole "Give me a blade" thing, but since I'm balance, I just do it......... Unless I plan on hitting myself. I'm all free to pass out Elemental and Spirit Blades, since I'm with a team, and really won't use it. If I'm here for myself, I won't be blading anything unless I Bladestorm, or a big attack is coming up and I can't attack myself

With Life, You're healers! You can rationalize it however you want, and try to change it, but at the end of the day, the game itself says:

"The Life School will train its student wizards to heal themselves and other players. Life Wizards are given the ability to heal themselves the most effectively, as well as the unique ability to heal other players. Combined with this, they do low to moderate damage attack spells with extremely high accuracy rates."

And the Kicker:
"They also possess the sole group heal spell."

No one asks for Rebirth every 2 rounds. However, when the going gets tough, We don't expect Fluffy to pop out the ground and get Spirit Energy from the forest. We want that fat tree to pop up and heal us all. Storm can do the killing 10x better. With that said, If we want a reaper, we'll grab a Storm

Speaking of Storm:

We bring you in to kill stuff. We don't need you otherwise. Shielding is OK........ Shielding a million times is not OK. Chances are, if you're getting pelted with attacks, 1 of us will shield you. If you're dying, 1 of us will heal you. Why? Not because you're some king/queen. It's because you're here to kill, not play Ice, and you're of no use when your head is spinning.

"The Storm School will train its student wizards to do a lot of damage."
Which is exactly what we expect

I'm Balance, so I blade, and hit and heal when I need to. In a team, we all have jobs. It's just that these 3 schools
() have Special Qualifications for a job.

Balance is made to buff, as in (As much as I hate it myself) set up the team for a kill, and heal when Life can't. Though we () can kill, It's not our job. are there in a team for a reason.

You won't bring in a Life to play Storm, nor will you bring in a Storm to play Life.

Survivor
Oct 09, 2010
1
My sister is life and I only know that she is boss.I may be storm but she does equal atacking as me.She only heals when she is needed.Her centaur is boss.So, don't start saying stuff about life like that bro Savannah Winter blossom Sarah Unicorn blossom

Survivor
Oct 31, 2011
1
I have a level 92 life wizard and I really have not experienced any of that. I have to occasional person that asks me before a large boss if I have heals in my deck, but that is it. I am not saying it doesn't happen, I am just saying I feel lucky I have not had to deal with that.

Survivor
Mar 05, 2013
18
dayerider on Apr 17, 2014 wrote:
The problem really is, Life, balance, and to a lesser extent, Death are all considered supporting schools.

Life will always be known as a Healing school. I won't take away from their damage potential, because they can be formidable, but the PUBLIC opinion is that Life heals. I just started a life mage and plan on making it a heck of a healer, but that's my CHOICE to do so. Keep in mind I plan on soloing as much as I can so that being said, I'm going to cater my healing spells to heal ME. One third of life's spells cater towards keeping people alive, so people just assume that it means "keeping me alive".

Balance will always be known as a Support school. Almost half of their spells support other players which is why people ask for blades. I am NOT saying that Balance is ONLY good for support, I'm saying the PUBLIC opinion is that Balance is only good for support

Death, to a lesser extent, is considered a support school. Death has Feint, Sacrifice, Curse, Plague, Dark Pact, Empower, Virulent Plague, Bad Juju, Mass Infection, Infection. I've had people ask me to use those spells when they joined my battles. "Well, you're death, you should always have them handy" is the mentality. No, I'm death and can support myself. If we're going to plan something ahead of time, i will change my tactics accordingly, but if you just jump in and expect me to have 6 Sacrifice spells ready, guess who's dying.

It's high time for everybody to stop pigeonholing schools. We've all heard people say how they use Storm to be a great healer, of life to effect massive damage or balance to be the king of soloists, etc. Stop thinking so one dimensionally people.
I totally agree but I think life should have some better atk spells

valdus deathrider lvl 58

Survivor
Aug 14, 2012
19
I'm totally with you. Life does need more attack spells, especially all attack spells.

Emily Summersinger

Survivor
Jun 23, 2013
21
Hi i am a level 43 life wizard you kinda get used to it after a while but i kinda with you about the weak part more attack spells! And do not worry soon as you get a life blade it helps your attack spell a lot! MaryDaisyHeart level 43 wizard

Survivor
Apr 05, 2013
11
Life
-Is one of four schools with the ability to heal other players
-Possesses the only two AOE heals in the game
-Is able to heal with any amount of pips, from 0-14
-Has access to gear with insane outgoing heal
As well as
-The lowest damage spells per pip in the game
-Has no access to an AOE spell until level 58
-Has one blade and one trap (as opposed to death with feint and curse, storm with supercharge, balance with bladestorm, and fire with backdraft)
-A significantly lower amount of damaging spells compared to other schools
-Very limited access to gear with decent damage

All this is common knowledge. So, with the vast majority of players knowing this, you get upset when they view you as a healer? The truth is that playing a life wizard as you would a storm only hurts a team. I feel like the majority of posters here need to understand that when you are playing a school specifically designed to heal, people will expect you to heal.

As a side note, saying that life can deal significant damage does not validate anything in this discussion. Any school will do heavy damage with enough blades and traps. The truth is, whenever you deal 5000 damage with a forest lord, a dps type school designed to deal damage could have done the same thing with less pips and blades in fewer turns.

Explorer
Mar 18, 2009
66
I sometimes get frustrated as balance because people expect me to do everything: blade, shield, dispel, trap, heal. Then, after giving all my blades and pips away, they want me to miraculously one-shot the adds with Ra. With that many responsibilities, it's hard to manage my deck. I've noticed that life wizards often don't want to heal or aren't very good at it. I don't mind doing it, but my heals are less effective. On most fights, you really only need one or two strikers, and the rest of the team should focus on support and defense. It makes sense for an elemental school (fire, ice, storm) to do the striking because generally speaking they're better at it. But a lot of people prefer glory to teamwork.

Survivor
Dec 24, 2013
9
lifedude2002 on Apr 17, 2014 wrote:
why is life referd to this:

  • " can you heal me?"
  • " how many heal spells do you now?"
  • " do you have satyr?"
  • " i need heal!"
  • " heal heal heal!"
  • " life is only good for healing"
  • " dont atttack, just heal"
grrrr, it makes me have to cast billions of calm spells on myself to hear this that we only work for heal, i mean come on! i am proud of my school because it concentrates on healing and helping others, but why are we just that, to be honest if KI wants to make me stop wasting calm spells, make atleast the spells between lvl 95 and 115 for wiz moslty attack but good attack, not some low 800 ( corect me if i am wrong that this is a high attack for life) please! ( notice how in a while i change from mad to nice ) i mean come on! all my freinds think i am weak! well thank you for reading and paying attencion, have a nice day

-isaac goldheart lvl 23
Even though I am only an wizard, I agree with you completely. I think wizard should be respected just as much as wizards. wizards should have stronger spells too.

Isabella

Survivor
Dec 24, 2013
9
Master Tara PearlG... on Apr 18, 2014 wrote:
I agree, since I'm from the Ice School, everyone is always asking me, "Can you Tower Shield me? I need a Tower Shield. I'll do the fighting, you do the defending. HALP! I NEED SHIELD." I think that Life is just known as healers because their deck is mainly healing, but that doesn't mean you can't fight. Sure you'll need to have a strategy and stuff because you aren't a pure critical super strong attacking Storm Student. So if you want to break away from the saying, "Life is just for healing." Then I suggest you get a pet with Dragon Blade, and learn some balance blades for life. Then next time someone says that, you can say, "Oh no, no need, I've got this." And defeat the monster with your super powerful spell! Tara PearlGem
Yeah! Every class has their strengths and weaknesses, but their strengths and being taken advantage of! Every class is being taken advantage of so all of us need to just stop. Sure you can ask for a shield, or a healing, or a sword, but when you say "I will fight, you just heal/defend/give me swords" That's just plain rude! I am sorry if I am taking this way too far, but I am serious about this! Even with Myth wizards, they are being asked to use the minion spells

Thank you for your attention.
Isabella

Defender
Jul 11, 2013
144
I don't like that Life is seen as a healing school. Come on, they can attack,too! Why does everyone see Life for healing?! It makes me so mad!

Survivor
Jun 25, 2012
4
As a Pyromancer, I often sometimes wish I could help with healing some more. I focused almost all my training points into life, and am still doing so. I find life as one of the most useful schools to be in, but nonetheless, they are designed to be a healing helping school. It even says so in their definition. Don't get me wrong, they are still a very dangerous enemy when they start shooting Centaurs and Gnomes at you, but they are mainly healing, and alas this will most likely never change in a game like this. With all respect to the great an all mighty school of life, cya on the spiral.

Kane StormStaff
Magus Pyromancer

Survivor
Jun 16, 2014
12
Kind of like Storm.....Just attack...don't buff yourself or anything...just attack!

Survivor
Mar 12, 2011
25
I've soloed basically everything up to where I am (I've just gotten into the Wilds in Avalon), except for a few dungeons. I have a lot of 'friends' who will pop up into MY battles, with a couple hundred health, and ask me to heal them. I've been forced to turn off friend teleport and request, because people will friend me and then ask me to help them, while I'm in the middle of a battle.
Also, when I'm in a group, even when I tell the group before we head into the dungeon (that's the only time I group fight) that I will not be a healer before hitter, they still expect me to heal them whenever they demand it.
A few times, I've joined a PVP, and the person I was supposed to duel, looked at me, said, "Oh, you are life. I wanted a challenge" and then teleported out.

Really, if you're a healer, buffer, hitter, whatever, it's based on the way you use your gear and pack your deck. It's as simple as that. Any school can play any role, and if you expect someone to be something they didn't agree to beforehand, and that expectation gets both of you killed, it's on you.

Life is powerful. Stack your cards the way you want to play, and don't let stereotypes get in the way of your gaming.


Hero
Jan 24, 2010
711
kylesar1 on May 28, 2014 wrote:
Exactly!

I've been a victim of the whole "Give me a blade" thing, but since I'm balance, I just do it......... Unless I plan on hitting myself. I'm all free to pass out Elemental and Spirit Blades, since I'm with a team, and really won't use it. If I'm here for myself, I won't be blading anything unless I Bladestorm, or a big attack is coming up and I can't attack myself

With Life, You're healers! You can rationalize it however you want, and try to change it, but at the end of the day, the game itself says:

"The Life School will train its student wizards to heal themselves and other players. Life Wizards are given the ability to heal themselves the most effectively, as well as the unique ability to heal other players. Combined with this, they do low to moderate damage attack spells with extremely high accuracy rates."

And the Kicker:
"They also possess the sole group heal spell."

No one asks for Rebirth every 2 rounds. However, when the going gets tough, We don't expect Fluffy to pop out the ground and get Spirit Energy from the forest. We want that fat tree to pop up and heal us all. Storm can do the killing 10x better. With that said, If we want a reaper, we'll grab a Storm

Speaking of Storm:

We bring you in to kill stuff. We don't need you otherwise. Shielding is OK........ Shielding a million times is not OK. Chances are, if you're getting pelted with attacks, 1 of us will shield you. If you're dying, 1 of us will heal you. Why? Not because you're some king/queen. It's because you're here to kill, not play Ice, and you're of no use when your head is spinning.

"The Storm School will train its student wizards to do a lot of damage."
Which is exactly what we expect

I'm Balance, so I blade, and hit and heal when I need to. In a team, we all have jobs. It's just that these 3 schools
() have Special Qualifications for a job.

Balance is made to buff, as in (As much as I hate it myself) set up the team for a kill, and heal when Life can't. Though we () can kill, It's not our job. are there in a team for a reason.

You won't bring in a Life to play Storm, nor will you bring in a Storm to play Life.
"You won't bring in a Life to play Storm, nor will you bring in a Storm to play Life."

My Exalted life wizard often wears the Exalted Storm amulet and has a very nice life/storm pet.

My baby life is a hybrid wizard. She wears Fire mastery amulet, and casts both life and fire spells, boosted with gear stats and blades from her special life/fire pet.

My baby storm is also a hybrid who wears Life amulet and carries a tc deck full of life spells for damage and heals.

Maybe you haven't played multiple schools of magic before, but there are many ways for a wizard to train and gear up to enable her/him to cast whatever magic she/he pleases. The advent of mastery amulets have allowed for wizards to choose a wide array of styles and strategies.

The schools of magic may be clearly defined, but players are all individuals, we have our own styles and likes, and we aren't bound by rigid definitions.

Warmest Regards,

Iridian and Sisters

Defender
Feb 27, 2009
129
lifedude2002 on Apr 17, 2014 wrote:
why is life referd to this:

  • " can you heal me?"
  • " how many heal spells do you now?"
  • " do you have satyr?"
  • " i need heal!"
  • " heal heal heal!"
  • " life is only good for healing"
  • " dont atttack, just heal"
grrrr, it makes me have to cast billions of calm spells on myself to hear this that we only work for heal, i mean come on! i am proud of my school because it concentrates on healing and helping others, but why are we just that, to be honest if KI wants to make me stop wasting calm spells, make atleast the spells between lvl 95 and 115 for wiz moslty attack but good attack, not some low 800 ( corect me if i am wrong that this is a high attack for life) please! ( notice how in a while i change from mad to nice ) i mean come on! all my freinds think i am weak! well thank you for reading and paying attencion, have a nice day

-isaac goldheart lvl 23
Haven't you seen all the Life spells, there's a majority of heals then attacks. For people playing solo, Life is least common one I've seen. If you're being asked to heal people like that and your only level 23, you must be doing some sort of extreme fighting in PVP. One more thing, sometimes in a dungeon, it's only a good healer that keeps the group going.

Marcus Suncrafter, lvl 73

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2925
oneflaw on Jul 8, 2014 wrote:
Kind of like Storm.....Just attack...don't buff yourself or anything...just attack!
I was questing on my storm wizard last night, and ran into a life wizard with the same quest. We ended up questing together for most of the night, and we made a great team... because we didn't stick to the stereotypes.

I don't expect anyone to carry me, and I don't have mastery amulets, nor do I need them. My exalted diviner packs her own heals, so she doesn't have to rely on anyone else. Can I heal like a life wizard? No. But am I self-sustaining? You betcha.

When I took my Storm through Atlantea, she was teamed with 2 death wizards and another storm. Can you guess who played DD, healer and tank?

Surprise, surprise... this girl.



Can my life wizard do Storm's damage? No. But can she make huge hits? You bet your bottom she can. I once ended up in Waterworks with a group of Storm, Fire, Balance, and myself (Life)... Can you guess who the DD was?

Yeah, that's right... this girl.



All wizards can and should be able to support themselves, regardless of school. If you come prepared and don't expect someone else to carry you, it makes you a better teammate in the long run.

-von "square pegs and all that fun stuff" shadowsong

Laura Shadowsong, exalted
Valerian Deathwhisper, exalted
Sestiva Stormblade, exalted
Tavia Summershield, transcendent
Patrick Dreamstalker, grandmaster
Tara Winterbloom, grandmaster
Angela Nightflame, magus

Survivor
Feb 28, 2009
16
Death School: "Hurry up and Scarecrow!" or "Just feint."

Champion
Jul 13, 2013
415
Um I think life people are known as healers because it says life. It's not a good thing, though. I feel your pain. A lot of schools go through the same thing. We all have stereo-types.
Can you heal me?
Can you cast a blade on me?
Can you do feint?
or Just attack already!
Cast a minion.
Don't worry, I'll do all the attacking for us.
I like using this combination:.
Really, life is my second favorite school(Balance is my first). And when you're doing a dungeon, life wizards are the most important. I mean, you've just got to suck it up and play your role as a healer. When you're doing battles with other wizards, they need your help. You have to fulfill your duty as a life wizard. I used to hate balance with all my guts.
"Why don't we have a tree or a school building?" I asked myself. "Why do we have bad attacks? Are we just not worth it?"
I'm a Grandmaster now and I LOVE Balance. Best school EVER.
It's turned out to be much, much stronger than I thought. I just had to be patient. Maybe that's what life wizards need to do.
And personally, I love playing the role where I just cast blades, shield, and heal people. That's the funnest way for me to get through a dungeon or something like that. Just let or do the work for you. I love it when they say thank you to me for casting a blade on them. I just love it! I have a special deck called the Balance Shield Deck that I personalized for when I'm not going to be attacking much. I think I've really done my job as a balance wizard.
If you don't like healing people, life isn't the school for you. Maybe you should go to storm.
Myrna Dragoncloud, level 50