Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

That dancing thing.

AuthorMessage
Squire
Jan 21, 2010
hankcat wrote:
Today, I was on my account that has Text Chat, and was patrolling the dye shop. There was someone doing the equivalent of the dancind/clapping, with a dragon transformation. They did it to me, as well as several other wizards it there at the time. The worst part was, we coulden't report them, because what they were saying made it clear what they were doing, but said in a way that it woulden't violate anything. This has to be stopped.

Ali Skyblossem
Iridian Drake
A Wizard City Protector who has been danced upon

You are telling me that a GM could look at the chat log for that room and have absolutely no idea that the dragon player was harassing a number of people? All types of harassment are against the terms of service. What did they do it three times and then leave? If they were camping that room and harassing every wizard who entered. for even ten minutes. it would be noticeable in a chat log. You should have reported them.

Explorer
Apr 30, 2010
i say there should be in game mods, even an area or mini side-world, MODS HQ where a wiz can go, tell the world the violator was last seen in and the name, so the mod can use a ban or mute

and again, i have been "danced" on and such, and people go up to you and start jumping on/in front of you (gross) so please do something about that

and a new idea:
have a buy-able or selectable trait, danger block, where nobody can dance, jump, clap, etc. within 2 wiz-heights in ANY direction

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
GrammyH wrote:
I will, however, agree that they shouldn't let a person know they've been reported in game. All that does is make them look around for another wizard to get angry at and retaliate against. Don't notify them in game unless you have to immediately remove them. Then say something like a moderator is removing you for your behavior. This would make it KI removing them (and why aren't there in game moderators; there should be) and no wizard -- which might not even be the right one -- would be retaliated against.

Actually, there's been a back-handed response I've seen a few times when people go around whining about being reported and say "Who reported me?!": A whole bunch of people in the area will say "I reported you!" and then laugh at the one whining. It's hard to harass half the area and it gives them the illusion that the very walls have eyeballs that are watching them. They seem to wander off or just be quiet after that.

As for the other naughty behavior, I have a nice weapon. It's called "FYI, I'm an ADULT." It's funny how fast people who are trying to hit on me in game will actually flee the zone when I put that in open chat.

The reason they don't have in-game mods is probably cost. In order to be efficient, they'd have to be employees. But even in-game mods have the potential for "going bad". I've seen people made mods in various online settings who, over time, get power drunk/power hungry and just turn into rule-bending monsters who then become even MORE trouble when they are de-throned.

Survivor
Jan 11, 2010
To all that will miss the dancing emote if removed, we need to make a sacrifice to make the Spiral a bit safer for younger Wizards. My 2 cents, peace.

Zachary Shadowflame Storm level 6

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
zebulous wrote:
hankcat wrote:
Today, I was on my account that has Text Chat, and was patrolling the dye shop. There was someone doing the equivalent of the dancind/clapping, with a dragon transformation. They did it to me, as well as several other wizards it there at the time. The worst part was, we coulden't report them, because what they were saying made it clear what they were doing, but said in a way that it woulden't violate anything. This has to be stopped.

Ali Skyblossem
Iridian Drake

You are telling me that a GM could look at the chat log for that room and have absolutely no idea that the dragon player was harassing a number of people? All types of harassment are against the terms of service. What did they do it three times and then leave? If they were camping that room and harassing every wizard who entered. for even ten minutes. it would be noticeable in a chat log. You should have reported them.

You can't just report everything. Even if their actions are inappropriate but their chat is clean, you still have to be careful. If there had been an actual Staff Mod in the ROOM at the time this took place, they could take steps to stop it. If the Chat log does not give a good indication of the events taking place, KI is not going to just mute or ban a player without evidence to do so.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
ThomasTilk1999 wrote:
To all that will miss the dancing emote if removed, we need to make a sacrifice to make the Spiral a bit safer for younger Wizards. My 2 cents, peace.

You sound like you don't use the emote at all. How it its removal a sacrifice for you? You use the word, "we," only if you are including yourself in the group. The rest of your sentence implies that you are not among those who will miss the emote.
"To all tha will miss the dancing emote if removed, you need to make a sacrifice to make the Spiral a bit safer for younger Wizards. My 2 cents, peace. "

Changing that "we" to "you" kinda changes the tone of your post doesn't it? Yet; I can't help but feel, when comparing my edit to your original, that my edit is closer to the truth. Nice little trick, including yourself in a group, and pretending that their loss is your loss.... I feel that you could be a fine politician, Thomas.

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
jackandturbo wrote:
I think it is time to get rid of that dancing emote. I have seen too many wizards using it to simulate less than appropriate behavior.
It is unsettling to be danced upon. Especially if the dancer is making lewd comments while they do it.

while if we took this out it would stop the inappropriate behavior with dancing but it will take out one thing some people do at parties

dance with pets

when ya use that emote near a pet it dances

if they took out dancing then my crab dance group wont dance for guests anymore
there must be some other way

maybe reporting for innapropriate behavior
also you choose to be near someone
you can always run or port away after saying a solid plz stop
taking away dancing would be a bad way to deal with it
besides there are other ways i have seen people do it
continuing to use the up and down keys fast enough would do the same thing so dancing isnt the only problem

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
zebulous wrote:
hankcat wrote:

Ali Skyblossem
Iridian Drake

in game mods

ki support are mods that patrol around pretending to be real players
they hide the badge unless you ask them to show you then you can see it
and so its like they have in game mods already

Defender
Aug 07, 2011
zebulous wrote:
ThomasTilk1999 wrote:

You sound like you don't use the emote at all. How it its removal a sacrifice for you? You use the word, "we," only if you are including yourself in the group. The rest of your sentence implies that you are not among those who will miss the emote.
"To all tha will miss the dancing emote if removed, you need to make a sacrifice to make the Spiral a bit safer for younger Wizards. My 2 cents, peace. "

Changing that "we" to "you" kinda changes the tone of your post doesn't it? Yet; I can't help but feel, when comparing my edit to your original, that my edit is closer to the truth. Nice little trick, including yourself in a group, and pretending that their loss is your loss.... I feel that you could be a fine politician, Thomas.

I use the emote a lot. I get a kick out of dancing with my pets. It makes them happy, I think it's funny and don't feel like I'm ignoring them. My Grandson loves to dance. I taught him to disco as soon as he could walk. (He has a fine appreciation of KC and the Sunshine Band.) He is a dancing fool and he utterly loves his dance emote. Uses it all the time.

I'm still utterly willing to sacrifice if need be so no wizard feels virtually molested. Small price to pay to keep wizards -- especially young wizards -- safe on-line. I'd prefer they make it so you have to be too far away from any other wizard for it to work in that manner but if that's not possible, remove it and remove it yesterday.

Survivor
Jan 11, 2010
To zebulous, I am sorry if what I post offended you, but what you replied back about the whole "great politican" jazz really offended me. I just wanted to make a point, not offend or upset other people. I see that I made a mistake in my post, I have not had that happen to me, so I am sorry, but what you stated highly offended me. It's a sacrifice for the people who don't like vulgar actions, but will miss the dancing emote. Again, I am sorry. I am new to this game, my friend didn't want his acct so he gave it to me, so I haven't seen or experienced it. Sorry again.

Zachary Shadowflame level 7 Storm :(

Survivor
Jan 11, 2010
And continuing from my other post, I did not have any intention of making a "nice little trick," as you said. There's always the other side, not just yours.

Defender
Aug 07, 2011
Aazari wrote:
GrammyH wrote:
I will, however, agree that they shouldn't let a person know they've been reported in game. All that does is make them look around for another wizard to get angry at and retaliate against. Don't notify them in game unless you have to immediately remove them. Then say something like a moderator is removing you for your behavior. This would make it KI removing them (and why aren't there in game moderators; there should be) and no wizard -- which might not even be the right one -- would be retaliated against.

The reason they don't have in-game mods is probably cost. In order to be efficient, they'd have to be employees. But even in-game mods have the potential for "going bad". I've seen people made mods in various online settings who, over time, get power drunk/power hungry and just turn into rule-bending monsters who then become even MORE trouble when they are de-throned.

This has been bugging me and something not seeming quite right about it since you posted it and it finally clicked what. They're still needed, plain and simple. And it's called supervision, frankly. Any paid employee should be supervised by someone and, in the case of in-game mods, said supervisor should be checking up on them. It's complicated, yes, but you don't not do the right thing because it's hard to do.

Look there's corrupt police officers but that wouldn't make you call for eliminating the police force, would it? WC needs a police force, plain and simple. Imagine having 9-1-1 in place only to have the call go to a recording at the other end and the tape not reviewed until regular business hours. This is what the Spiral currently has going on and it's not working.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
ThomasTilk1999 wrote:
To zebulous, I am sorry if what I post offended you, but what you replied back about the whole "great politican" jazz really offended me. I just wanted to make a point, not offend or upset other people. I see that I made a mistake in my post, I have not had that happen to me, so I am sorry, but what you stated highly offended me. It's a sacrifice for the people who don't like vulgar actions, but will miss the dancing emote. Again, I am sorry. I am new to this game, my friend didn't want his acct so he gave it to me, so I haven't seen or experienced it. Sorry again.

Zachary Shadowflame level 7 Storm :(

Your post, as I read it, made me angry. I had assumed that you had meant every word that you had written. As it is; you made an error, and you apologized for that error. I accept that. It is a shame that what you wrote did not match your intent. I have little choice but to respond to the words that are written on the screen. I can only guess the intent of the writer based on those words. Your grammar error was certainly not worth the response I gave, and now much time has been wasted, by both of us..... How can I apologize for treating you like a worthy opponent?

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
A lot of people are talking about making sacrifices. A personal or,"noble," sacrifice requires that the person voluntarily gives something up.
A simple example, sacrificing some time:
If someone cuts in front of me in line that is not a sacrifice.
If a staff member places someone in front of me, in line, that is not a sacrifice.
If a person asks me if they can get in front of me and I allow them to, that is a sacrifice.
If a staff member asks me if a person may cut in front of me in line, and I really have a choice (that is, my saying no actually prevents the new person from going before I do) if I allow the cut in line, then that is a sacrifice.

Giving up the dance emote could only be a sacrifice for me if:
1. If I don't want to give up the emote.
2. If giving up the emote would not benefit me. (from my point of view giving up the emote does not cure the disease, it is just treating symptoms.)
3. Kings Isle has to ask me if I want to give up the emote and they are willing to honor my decision weather it is yes or no.
4. I have to say yes.

Calling any loss a, "sacrifice," causes it to sound romantic. Convincing your teacher to forbid students to wear earrings in class, isn't a sacrifice on the student's part, and it shouldn't be romanticized.

Mastermind
Apr 24, 2010
Wow, I never thought of it that way.
Although this was my favorite emote, it might be the best thing to do. I guess that means no more dance parties with my pets, though.
Melcookie

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
GrammyH wrote:
Aazari wrote:
GrammyH wrote:

This has been bugging me and something not seeming quite right about it since you posted it and it finally clicked what. They're still needed, plain and simple. And it's called supervision, frankly. Any paid employee should be supervised by someone and, in the case of in-game mods, said supervisor should be checking up on them. It's complicated, yes, but you don't not do the right thing because it's hard to do.

Look there's corrupt police officers but that wouldn't make you call for eliminating the police force, would it? WC needs a police force, plain and simple. Imagine having 9-1-1 in place only to have the call go to a recording at the other end and the tape not reviewed until regular business hours. This is what the Spiral currently has going on and it's not working.

ki support the hidden force of the spiral
watch what you say to anyone and anywhere in the spiral
the person next to you might be k i support

Survivor
Feb 19, 2010
no 1 :kids aren't going too know its that kind of stuff i don't even get the clapping myself and i am almost a teen

no 2: it is apparent that only grown ups are commenting on this and if it bothered any kid they would do something

where there are leafs there are slugs
life beats all for even those who die live on in are memories

Survivor
May 16, 2009
if they took out dancing then my crab dance group wont dance for guests anymore :( :( :(

I totally agree with you, grvy123! I have my own dragon dancing squad consisting of wyverns and other dragons, so if they took out dancing, it would make me sad

But the danger block idea is a very good one, though.

Blaze Icecloud, Level 74 thaumaturge

Explorer
Apr 30, 2010
and also to add to my other post, how about a thing where you can do an insta-realm hop so that you get ported to a random realm besides your current one

to face the shadows, you must conquer your fear in the darkness, even in terror and death

that is my warning, think of them as the shadows, and conquer them

Flint Strongvault

Champion
Nov 22, 2008
zazly wrote:
no 1 :kids aren't going too know its that kind of stuff i don't even get the clapping myself and i am almost a teen

no 2: it is apparent that only grown ups are commenting on this and if it bothered any kid they would do something

You'd be surprised how many kids are reading this. Half my friends in game stopped using the dance less they were alone with their pets cause of this post. You need to know that at least 100 people stopped using the dance emote. Just to FYI.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
zazly wrote:

Indeed, children can get their parent and let them respond to the harasser. "Why are you harassing my daughter/son?" At which point you can change realms, and observe. If the creature does comeback to harass your child. "I have decided to watch my child play, why are you following him/her?"
Children can impersonate their parent if the parent is........ Wait, why is the child on the internet unsupervised?! Parents should always be nearby while the child is talking to strangers, even in a virtual setting. Children shouldn't have computers in their rooms either, the computer should be in a high traffic room of the house. The living room, or near the kitchen, near the garage, or dad's workshop. Somewhere the parent can stop, for several minutes, and read over the child's shoulder.

Barring that, the child can impersonate an adult, or their parents, and this will most likely make the creature lose interest. Changing realms is best. You can pm your friends after you change realms and they can meet you there.

I know there are people who want to baby proof the game. For the sake of the children who don't have attentive parents. Consider: the children, or their friends, may lose interest and switch to another game that has no safeguards in place at all. Adult players aren't the only ones who get annoyed because they can't communicate or express themselves.

I comment in these types of threads because I don't like it when people conspire to damage my gaming experience. I also feel the need to remind the lurkers, the true majority, that there is another point of view.

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
zazly wrote:

i am teen yet i commented on it cause even i know what they are improvising to do
i personally ignore them after i solid warning that the person may not know what your doing/ you mean by that
if they dont stop i tell the victim to port away to a place far away from those trolls of the spiral ( i get funny responses from non gamers that dont know what that is and they say " huh trolls, we are in the commons not cyclops lane" ) also thats a good come back to trolls if they dont listen after a solid stop and continue bugging someone ( i only report serious cases)
troll: look at that noob
me: stop
troll: nope
me: there is a low lvl restaurant on cyclops lane ya know where trolls belong
troll: me want food x drools x
me: @ so called noob kid your not a noob your just a low lvl ( i sometimes explain what a noob is for those that think its some kind of insult)
we were all noobs once

i only call someone a noob if i first meet them and they do something noobie or they are low lvl on first meet but i normally ask highest lvl to ensure no noobs

Explorer
Aug 01, 2009
zazly wrote:

Frankly, I am a teen and really can't think of any way the dance or clap can be used inappropriately, and at this age, you hear (often unintentionally) lots of vulgar things, and start to be exposed to the more 'adult' world.

If it was a huge problem, I think KI would have notified us of working to fix it.

Those who's minds would be spoiled most likely won't understand it, heck, my mind is already spoiled and I don't understand it XD

Survivor
Feb 19, 2010

You'd be surprised how many kids are reading this. Half my friends in game stopped using the dance less they were alone with their pets cause of this post. You need to know that at least 100 people stopped using the dance emote. Just to FYI.

no 1: i said commenting not reading most kids if they read this they would'nt get a word of it
no 2: 100 out of more than a million really?
no 3: grownups is more code for people who want the game kitty proof than any thing to do with age
no 4:this simply player behavior that cant really be changed without making the game so unappealing no kid would play it and it is fairly certain that KI is not going to tailor to that

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
zazly wrote:

no 1: i said commenting not reading most kids if they read this they would'nt get a word of it
no 2: 100 out of more than a million really?
no 3: grownups is more code for people who want the game kitty proof than any thing to do with age
no 4:this simply player behavior that cant really be changed without making the game so unappealing no kid would play it and it is fairly certain that KI is not going to tailor to that

My answer to your reason four: Making the game unappealing to kids? -snort- Are you kidding me? This game has had me hooked for the plot lines alone. I have already completed the Malistaire and Wysteria Arc and I'm looking forward to finishing the Morganthe Arc and Grizzleheim Arc.

My answer to your reason one: A lot of kids can comment if they want to. They are many kids who buy subs, so they can comment.

My answer to number three: Umm, as I recall, grown ups refers to people who are of eighteen years of age. Mature refers to those who will do what is right.

My answer to your second reason: It's actually more then that, as many people will have read this thread by now. Though, I'll admit. I'll miss dancing with my Stormzilla and Myth/Midnight/Dark sprites.