Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

That dancing thing.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 23, 2010
I think it is time to get rid of that dancing emote. I have seen too many wizards using it to simulate less than appropriate behavior.
It is unsettling to be danced upon. Especially if the dancer is making lewd comments while they do it.

Explorer
Jul 31, 2011
I agree, today in various areas and realms I saw this. Complete with descriptions and dialog of what was taking place with explicit words included. I reported but only because what was being said. I moved from the area but it happens a lot lately both dancing and the clapping type emotes become a sexual thing for these wizards who continually break the rules.

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
I know many wizards who have been subjected to this behavior from the bad element that seems to be taking over one realm in particular. That and clapping dance (I've heard it refered to as the mander dance).

Explorer
Feb 22, 2009
Couldn't agree more with you! It can be used in vulgar acts and it can make other wizards feel very uncomfortable. I can't say that I've even used it once unless trying to get my pets to dance. I would not miss it if it was taken away. Thank you for bringing this to attention!

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Oh my gosh, yes. I can't tell you how many times wizards have come up to me and done that, while making lewd comments.

There are a lot of other wizards that try to tell them to stop, but they don't listen.

It wouldn't bother me at all if that emote goes bye-bye

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
Oh ugh! That happened to me, it is lewd and unsettling.

Another idea would be to make it so one could not dance on top of or to close to another wizard. I have come to the belief wizards should not be allowed closer than an arms length to one another. What they do in corners is revolting.

I hope our esteemed faculty members will go under cover and see what some of their young charges are doing. It is far from family friendly.

Megan Frostriver

Delver
Feb 16, 2010
Sadly yes, something must be done here. I would so miss dancing with my pet, they are so funny and cute. But unfortunately the "creative" minds of a small number of somewhat warped individuals have been allowed free rein for too long. After having been danced and clapped on, I will never look at that portion of the game the same again. :(

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
As much as I would also hate to see it be removed, one of my wizards has also been the victim of this type of vulgarity and it is very unsettling to say the least.

I have to admit that it is fun to dance with our pets and will miss that, but I do not want to see another player especially a young child be subjected to this kind of lewd behavior.

Maybe somewhere down the road when players accept the fact that they can no longer use these fun emotes to enact highly inappropriate behavior the emotes could be enabled again, but at this point this has just gone more than way to far. It has gone to the limit as to make some players really cancel subs and many more seriously considering doing the same.

Fallon WinterLeaf

Armiger
May 10, 2010
This does not just happen to girl wizards either.

Oh no, I have both boys and girls dancing on me.

Some even use very unwelcome comments to emphasize what they are doing. You can report the comments, but unless you take a video or snapshot, it just sounds vulgar.

Worst part is, there is no way to instantly stop this from happening other than to leave and let it happen to other wizards.

THIS is one of the problems going on. THIS is why KI needs to start putting mods in the game, to observe these types of acts and stop them immediately.

Seriously, how is this a kid safe game? When anyone can be attacked like this? Come on KI, this is common sense.

Defender
May 21, 2011
i understand what everyone is saying, although yes i would miss dancing with my pets, and friends in the commons. so why not just change the dance?

they changed the jump, they could change the clap and the dance.

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
Yea I don't care if they get rid of it. Although the problem is more in the langauge then it is in the action. I have not seen this happen since I don't hang around in the commons so I wouldn't know.

Though any game will have people who will do this, so in the end it is your choice to play the game or not. It's a shame people can't give some mutual respect.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
goldendragon18 wrote:
As much as I would also hate to see it be removed, one of my wizards has also been the victim of this type of vulgarity and it is very unsettling to say the least.

I have to admit that it is fun to dance with our pets and will miss that, but I do not want to see another player especially a young child be subjected to this kind of lewd behavior.

Maybe somewhere down the road when players accept the fact that they can no longer use these fun emotes to enact highly inappropriate behavior the emotes could be enabled again, but at this point this has just gone more than way to far. It has gone to the limit as to make some players really cancel subs and many more seriously considering doing the same.

Fallon WinterLeaf

Only a child who has been exposed to vulgarity would know that the action was meant to simulate a vulgar act. Someone always shouts, "Won't someone think of the children?!" Their premise is flawed because they no longer remember what it is like to think like a child. I suppose if you allow your child to watch trash on television; then your child may have vague ideas, but they will still lack the comprehension of a teenager because they, hopefully, lack a teenager's experiences.

The ones misusing the emotes wouldn't miss them if they were taken away. Such people would be amused, and would imagine that they were the one's personally responsible for the emote's removal. Further, the misuse of innocent emotes for such a purpose would imply a high level of creativity, removing the emote would only inconvenience them for a short time. The problem being, that removing the emote would inconvenience everyone else permanently. I would not be surprised if a few individuals are actually trying to see how many words or emotes that they can get Kings Isle to remove. Indeed, I am sure that people make alts and do vulgar things in high traffic areas just to see how many reports they can get. Your opponents are like a rumor: the more attention you give them, the more you censor them, the more powerful they become.

The real way to stop this is for Kings Isle to not allow a person to know if they have been reported in game. The, "you have been reported," message only causes conscientious people to censor their own language or move to another location. The repeat or intentional offenders simply continue do vulgar things, because now they know they have an audience. The more warnings they get the larger they know their audience to be. It takes the fun out, if the rule breaker can't figure out how many people are paying attention, or which instance caused them to be muted or banned.

Of course you can simply ignore what I have said and continue to crusade for a Wizard101 that has all the character expression of an eight bit arcade game. Even if you win, people would still find vulgar things to do with their pixels.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
zebulous wrote:
Only a child who has been exposed to vulgarity would know that the action was meant to simulate a vulgar act. Someone always shouts, "Won't someone think of the children?!" Their premise is flawed because they no longer remember what it is like to think like a child. I suppose if you allow your child to watch trash on television; then your child may have vague ideas, but they will still lack the comprehension of a teenager because they, hopefully, lack a teenager's experiences.

The ones misusing the emotes wouldn't miss them if they were taken away. Such people would be amused, and would imagine that they were the one's personally responsible for the emote's removal. Further, the misuse of innocent emotes for such a purpose would imply a high level of creativity, removing the emote would only inconvenience them for a short time. The problem being, that removing the emote would inconvenience everyone else permanently. I would not be surprised if a few individuals are actually trying to see how many words or emotes that they can get Kings Isle to remove. Indeed, I am sure that people make alts and do vulgar things in high traffic areas just to see how many reports they can get. Your opponents are like a rumor: the more attention you give them, the more you censor them, the more powerful they become.

The real way to stop this is for Kings Isle to not allow a person to know if they have been reported in game. The, "you have been reported," message only causes conscientious people to censor their own language or move to another location. The repeat or intentional offenders simply continue do vulgar things, because now they know they have an audience. The more warnings they get the larger they know their audience to be. It takes the fun out, if the rule breaker can't figure out how many people are paying attention, or which instance caused them to be muted or banned.

Of course you can simply ignore what I have said and continue to crusade for a Wizard101 that has all the character expression of an eight bit arcade game. Even if you win, people would still find vulgar things to do with their pixels.

As for your post to this issue, I get the impression you may be one of those that would prefer to turn a BLIND EYE to the foul language and vulgarity that is now taking place in this game. Your presumtion that some of the players would not recognize this as a vulgar act is correct to a point. BUT, those that are using these emotes in this manner and those watching it happen know exactly what the offender has in mind considering there is a discriptive dialogue going at the same time and onlookers encouraging them.

Now you can turn that blind eye if you wish, that is totally up to you. But ask yourself how you would feel if this happened to you or your child playing this game and you gave that child open chat say for reasons of being many miles apart and wanted to be able to communicate while playing. I really don't think you would just stand there and not report as fast as your fingers could type. You may also be surprised how many young players can get the picture real quick even with TEXT chat. Young children that play this game or any other game online for that matter ARE NOT STUPID. KI did not design this game to be a "X X X" video chat room. It is supposed to be a KIDS/FAMILY safe environment with an E10+ rating. In its current state, this game if FAR from that.

I don't think you realize there is a HUMAN BEING on the other side of all those PIXELS. There are players young and old with physical disabilities that play this game. There are those that make some of the most HORRIBLE REMARKS AND ACTIONS THAT CAN BE VERY DAMAGING TO THOSE PLAYERS. These things are NOT FAIR to them and the millions of players that do follow the rules and play accordingly.

Finally, YES, I and many others will ignore what you have said and will continue our vigilance to clean this game up. Why do think KI gave us the tools to use if not to report these transgressions?

Fallon WinterLeaf a "Wizard City Protector"

Armiger
May 10, 2010
I do have to agree with Zebulous on this.

This is a very innocent emote that sick people are trying to turn into something sick and twisted. If it was gotten rid of, they would think of something else, like the Pray Emote, etc. It would never end.

I do love the idea of not notifying them when they have been reported though, that would stop those that try to bully people when they are reported.

Those that say, reporting is for noobs and low life losers. ETC
They try and say mean things and make you feel bad for doing the right thing. Now I wont feel bad, because honestly, who is the real loser that has to get on an E10+ game to curse and do nasty things?

Explorer
Jul 31, 2011
Interesting suggestion:

No more warning box warning a player that they have been reported.

Can we open this up for further discussion? I like this idea a lot.

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
zebulous wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:

Fallon WinterLeaf

Well said. Like I said before its more about what the person says, not the act itself. I doubt any kid would realize this and if they did then whats the point of even removing it.

Mastermind
Mar 28, 2009
And because jumping is not good for anything it should be taken off too lol.. why do people have to stomp on me -.-

Defender
Aug 07, 2011
You don't allow interactive beds and chairs because people would use them to simulate certain activities so why are you allowing emotes that do? The argument that kids won't know the act is ridiculous and probably one that has been used by many a pedophile. The kid may not know the act being simulated but the kid will still have a sense of being violated. They will have that eww, what was that weird person doing to me reaction. It's stupid to think that just because they're innocent of knowledge of the birds and bees, they won't feel misused. Of course, they will. They are being. That sounded like a classic I wasn't doing them any harm defense. Besides, it's not just kids. It's okay if you virtually molest an adult? I don't think so.

I will, however, agree that they shouldn't let a person know they've been reported in game. All that does is make them look around for another wizard to get angry at and retaliate against. Don't notify them in game unless you have to immediately remove them. Then say something like a moderator is removing you for your behavior. This would make it KI removing them (and why aren't there in game moderators; there should be) and no wizard -- which might not even be the right one -- would be retaliated against.

Explorer
Apr 26, 2009
i got simlar problem every singe day this guy dances on me and says suck it

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
I would have to agree that no warning of reports would be a good idea. In many cases, it does seem that the offender just escalates his vocabulary and actions.

But I do want the ability to get an insta-mute left in place.

An INGAME mod would also be a good addition.

Defender
Aug 07, 2011
Maxo, you need to take a screen shot (or video if you can) and send it to KI. And you need to report it. Big time. What's he going to do if you do? He's already harassing you.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
The game isn't dirty. The people who, for whatever reason, want attention are the ones supplying the dirt. As for the physically challenged, some of them are bitter and they also instigate these kind of episodes. They are, after all, human. Fully human.
Yes children will know if they are being harassed, in any form. They will most likely tell their parent that someone was following them and being mean. At that point it is up to the parent to tell the child what to do about the situation.

Turning a blind eye? Simply not fanning the flames. Removing the, "You have been reported," warning is key. Removing one of the tools they use to see if they have an audience. Spamming please stop, either out loud or in a whisper has the same effect: they know they have your attention and they aim to keep it as long as they can. You would do much better to use whispers to evacuate the area. get friends and each of you pm one of the folks who stops to listen and offer to help them. "Would you like help with a quest?" "would you like help getting a boss drop?" "have you found all of the smiths yet?" In this fashion the perpetrators lose their audience, and if they don't get a report warning, they aren't sure that they ever had an audience... Until they find themselves banned, because you did report them, they just had no clue.

Of course this approach requires effort on the part of concerned players. It also requires that these players have friends with similar views. It requires people willing to put forth personal effort when they would rather be enjoying themselves.

Yes, in game moderators would be most helpful. They should come down like avenging angels and mute or ban the participating accounts, seemingly from out of nowhere. I suppose they could explain why, but they really don't need to. If some of the villains are truly confused they can send a support ticket.

So no, I don't mean for people to turn a blind eye, I don't mean for people to ignore the situation hoping that it will go away.

I mean for people to use a method that actually would work, without damaging the game further. I mean for people to become directly involved without feeding these attention ... seekers...

I am asking you to be as clever as those whom you would oppose.

Survivor
Mar 08, 2010
Today, I was on my account that has Text Chat, and was patrolling the dye shop. There was someone doing the equivalent of the dancind/clapping, with a dragon transformation. They did it to me, as well as several other wizards it there at the time. The worst part was, we coulden't report them, because what they were saying made it clear what they were doing, but said in a way that it woulden't violate anything. This has to be stopped.

Ali Skyblossem
Iridian Drake
A Wizard City Protector who has been danced upon

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
zebulous wrote:
The game isn't dirty. The people who, for whatever reason, want attention are the ones supplying the dirt. As for the physically challenged, some of them are bitter and they also instigate these kind of episodes. They are, after all, human. Fully human.
Yes children will know if they are being harassed, in any form. They will most likely tell their parent that someone was following them and being mean. At that point it is up to the parent to tell the child what to do about the situation.

Turning a blind eye? Simply not fanning the flames. Removing the, "You have been reported," warning is key. Removing one of the tools they use to see if they have an audience. Spamming please stop, either out loud or in a whisper has the same effect: they know they have your attention and they aim to keep it as long as they can. You would do much better to use whispers to evacuate the area. get friends and each of you pm one of the folks who stops to listen and offer to help them. "Would you like help with a quest?" "would you like help getting a boss drop?" "have you found all of the smiths yet?" In this fashion the perpetrators lose their audience, and if they don't get a report warning, they aren't sure that they ever had an audience... Until they find themselves banned, because you did report them, they just had no clue.

Of course this approach requires effort on the part of concerned players. It also requires that these players have friends with similar views. It requires people willing to put forth personal effort when they would rather be enjoying themselves.

Yes, in game moderators would be most helpful. They should come down like avenging angels and mute or ban the participating accounts, seemingly from out of nowhere. I suppose they could explain why, but they really don't need to. If some of the villains are truly confused they can send a support ticket.

So no, I don't mean for people to turn a blind eye, I don't mean for people to ignore the situation hoping that it will go away.

I mean for people to use a method that actually would work, without damaging the game further. I mean for people to become directly involved without feeding these attention ... seekers...

I am asking you to be as clever as those whom you would oppose.

Yes, no warning would work to some degree, BUT we would also prefer to educate as many of these kids as we can. It is not our intention to get EVERY offender banned. There are many that we have been able to actually talk to and get them to understand that using bad language anywhere is not needed to have friend and be "cool".

This Dancing thing has taken on a whole new aspect that KI did not have in mind when they gave the players fun emotes. If KI can make adjustments to the proximity to another player for using the emotes then the problem will be solved. Many of us like dancing with our pets and removing the emote also removes someof the fun.

There are players that have started using video to document these actions that are intended to be vulgar along with the chat and sending it to KI. Those players, I sincerely hope will be banned from the game permanently.

And BY THE WAY, my main wizard has also been a victim of this DIRTY dancing. I hope no child has to deal with this atrocity.

As for your reference those players being physically challenged being BITTER, that is the most irresponsible comment I have ever heard and even if that is your thoughts, it is one that should never have been voiced here. I happen to know several in REAL LIFE, that are very considerate of others and their feelings. I have seen them in public and behind the front door of their home. I even have some of them as friends in this game. Those HUMAN BEINGS are much more than most give them credit for and should never be belittled in any way, anywhere, or anytime.

(To the Mods, if my rant in this last paragraph goes beyond the code of conduct, please edit it)

Fallon Winter a "Wizard City Protector"

Defender
May 17, 2011
So that's the thing that guy was doing to an afk girl in the commons on the wu realm.

Now I am scared.