Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Suggestion

2
AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 03, 2016
1027
Question: Can players using only menu chat see what people in open chat are saying?

If not then why not give your kids (Ghowriter or anyone concerned about this swearing issue) menu chat only? Then no matter what others do, they won't see it.

I edited this to add: I am not trying at all to be flippant about the issue. I understand it can feel frustrating and helpless when others are trolling peaceful players. It just seems like one potential, practical, solution in the short term. I think a lot of muted players are kids whose parents didn't want them exposed to bad language or possibly exploited ("give me a pack I will help you" type of things.)

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
357
ghowriter on Mar 18, 2017 wrote:
For those of you who don't know what a MAC address is, it is the actual computer address. That is built into the computer during manufacture and will NEVER change. Only an IP address can change.

As a computer tech, I can assure you this is incorrect.

While a MAC address is built into the hardware and physically unchangeable, every computer, tablet, phone allows you to software override the hardware MAC address and input anything you want. This is possible even on cable and DSL modems. Change one digit and you have an entirely new MAC address. Change the MAC address also changes the IP address bypassing any IP based block.

As for reporting. If reporting was our responsibility, it would be available to all players, not just members. I, for one, did not pay this company my hard earned money to police their game. If I am expected to do so, then I expect compensation for my efforts.

Their filters can be adjusted to detect any violation of the terms of use. You seriously underestimate the power of the PC. These aren't Commodore 64 machines.

Regardless. There needs to be a muted realm. Plain and simple. It will make being muted something to be feared. As it stands, being muted is naught but a nuisance easily circumvented by making a talking wizard on another account. In short, as it stands, might as well do away with muting players all together since it literally means nothing to be muted. I might as well get my account muted, I can make 10 accounts with which to talk from. Being muted is a joke not a punishment and EVERYONE knows it. My suggestion makes it a punishment but, oh, no, let's not punish wrong doers.

I will stop letting my kids play if something isn't done.
No one paid KI only to police their game. It is a responsibility that can be taken up to make the game a happy and safe one. It is completely optional but is suggested that players use the report button on those who have done a report-able offense.

There are other realms you and your kids can play in. Not only the crowded or normal realms since those are the realms which experience the most abuse.
If you do not want to force your kids to change realms, which I completely understand then you can simply use the ignore button.

Yes your suggestion makes it a punishment, but your punishment is not exactly fair. These muted wizards still have the right to play the game with friends, go to whichever realm they please and all that apart from having text and or open chat.

I do not disagree with the fact that a bigger action needs to be taken. But the one you suggested is going over board. It will result as a loss for KI since these muted players still pay for the game. And isolating them will just make them quit. And could end in a financial loss for KI. Which can lead to a lot things, not very good things.

Survivor
Jan 08, 2014
7
"Yes your suggestion makes it a punishment, but your punishment is not exactly fair. These muted wizards still have the right to play the game with friends, go to whichever realm they please and all that apart from having text and or open chat. "

They have no rights. They have a TOS they agreed to. Rather than being banned they should be sent to a private realm. This is punishment. It is supposed to be uncomfortable. They want to ignore the rules, they can pay the consequences. I applaud this suggestion and only wish I had thought of it myself.

For too long these rule breakers have been left unchecked.

You people tell him to have him move his kids into different realms to get away from these unruly players citing that they (they unruly) have the right to play in any realm they want. Don't my kids have that right as well? You say these unruly players have the "right" to play with their friends. Don't my kids have that right as well? My kids may or may not be breaking the rules on this game but I would hope that if my kids are breaking the rules then KI is imposing a fair punishment for doing so.

I agree that muted players need to be placed into a muted realm and I would hope my kids didn't get put there. But if they do get themselves muted, then by all means.

I can't get behind any of the arguments against this suggestion. They make absolutely no sense. If players cannot follow the rules then they need to be punished.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2160
ghowriter on Mar 18, 2017 wrote:
For those of you who don't know what a MAC address is, it is the actual computer address. That is built into the computer during manufacture and will NEVER change. Only an IP address can change.

As a computer tech, I can assure you this is incorrect.

While a MAC address is built into the hardware and physically unchangeable, every computer, tablet, phone allows you to software override the hardware MAC address and input anything you want. This is possible even on cable and DSL modems. Change one digit and you have an entirely new MAC address. Change the MAC address also changes the IP address bypassing any IP based block.

As for reporting. If reporting was our responsibility, it would be available to all players, not just members. I, for one, did not pay this company my hard earned money to police their game. If I am expected to do so, then I expect compensation for my efforts.

Their filters can be adjusted to detect any violation of the terms of use. You seriously underestimate the power of the PC. These aren't Commodore 64 machines.

Regardless. There needs to be a muted realm. Plain and simple. It will make being muted something to be feared. As it stands, being muted is naught but a nuisance easily circumvented by making a talking wizard on another account. In short, as it stands, might as well do away with muting players all together since it literally means nothing to be muted. I might as well get my account muted, I can make 10 accounts with which to talk from. Being muted is a joke not a punishment and EVERYONE knows it. My suggestion makes it a punishment but, oh, no, let's not punish wrong doers.

I will stop letting my kids play if something isn't done.
Being a computer tech means nothing if you make changes that are not permanent. The original MAC is permanent no matter what you do. There are other methods but again, it can cause unwanted methods and NOT ADVISED.

Although physical MAC (Media Access Control) addresses are permanent by design, several mechanisms allow modification, or "spoofing", of the MAC address that is reported by the operating system. This can be useful for privacy reasons, for instance when connecting to a Wi-Fi hotspot, or to ensure interoperability. Some internet service providers bind their service to a specific MAC address; if the user then changes their network card or intends to install a router, the service won't work anymore. Changing the MAC address of the new interface will solve the problem. Similarly, some software licenses are bound to a specific MAC address. Changing the MAC address in this way is not permanent: after a reboot, it will revert to the MAC address physically stored in the card. A MAC address is 48 bits in length.
As a MAC address can be changed, it can be unwise to rely on this as a single method of authentication. IEEE 802.1x is an emerging standard better suited to authenticating devices at a low level.
You are compensated by having a cleaner game. But as for the constant insistence of a muted realm, I think that is not only unkind but ridiculous. There are players who do have only menu chat which also makes them MUTED. How would you classify them?
Also making threats to KI of not letting your kids play isn't going to work. Many have made similar threats for one reason or another and NOTHING gets changed over threats.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2160
SparkleTude on Mar 19, 2017 wrote:
Question: Can players using only menu chat see what people in open chat are saying?

If not then why not give your kids (Ghowriter or anyone concerned about this swearing issue) menu chat only? Then no matter what others do, they won't see it.

I edited this to add: I am not trying at all to be flippant about the issue. I understand it can feel frustrating and helpless when others are trolling peaceful players. It just seems like one potential, practical, solution in the short term. I think a lot of muted players are kids whose parents didn't want them exposed to bad language or possibly exploited ("give me a pack I will help you" type of things.)
No, those with Menu Chat only can not see any other chat at all.

Champion
Mar 16, 2012
491
yuyingli on Mar 19, 2017 wrote:
"Yes your suggestion makes it a punishment, but your punishment is not exactly fair. These muted wizards still have the right to play the game with friends, go to whichever realm they please and all that apart from having text and or open chat. "

They have no rights. They have a TOS they agreed to. Rather than being banned they should be sent to a private realm. This is punishment. It is supposed to be uncomfortable. They want to ignore the rules, they can pay the consequences. I applaud this suggestion and only wish I had thought of it myself.

For too long these rule breakers have been left unchecked.

You people tell him to have him move his kids into different realms to get away from these unruly players citing that they (they unruly) have the right to play in any realm they want. Don't my kids have that right as well? You say these unruly players have the "right" to play with their friends. Don't my kids have that right as well? My kids may or may not be breaking the rules on this game but I would hope that if my kids are breaking the rules then KI is imposing a fair punishment for doing so.

I agree that muted players need to be placed into a muted realm and I would hope my kids didn't get put there. But if they do get themselves muted, then by all means.

I can't get behind any of the arguments against this suggestion. They make absolutely no sense. If players cannot follow the rules then they need to be punished.
Let's make a comparison to a Real Life situation.
You're in a "family" type restraunt, enjoying a meal with your kids. The next table is filled with rowdy, loud ( and cussing ) people. You have every right to call the waiter to make a complaint ( alert them to the situation ) and ask to be moved.
You have no right to demand to stay where you are and have the rowdy element moved. And the situation could become dangerous.
Management will take care of the situation by asking them to leave and if they refuse; using what security measures they have in place.
Muting is a punishment, continued bad behavior will result in banning. KI has a good policy in place and are aware of the rules breakers. ( If players take that responsibility and report. )
LadyDragon1818 has an excellent point that not all "mutes" are rules breakers, they're young children under the age of 13.
If a separate realm is created for mutes who break rules, how can KI differentiate between them and the under 13 players? Both are muted, are you going to send all of them to detention?

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
357
The thing is, in my first post on this thread I said I won't care if this happens because it's for muted players, but I still continue to disagree because it could end in a financial loss for KI and like DragonLady said, it's rude and downright stupid.

You need to realize that these muted players still pay and play the game. And since they are so many of them, if they get isolated and cut of from their friends it'll just make them quit the game. Yes, the usage of foul language will be a lot lot less, people will fear the mute, the game will be a lot safer but is it worth the possible financial loss KI could go through? If it happens, not only KI will suffer but so will the players of the game.

Not worth it to me. The game will eventually run down. Do you want that? No one would play, all in hopes of making the game better.

That's why I disagree with making it happen.

  • It's just too rude
  • Possible financial loss

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
357
DragonLady1818 on Mar 19, 2017 wrote:
Being a computer tech means nothing if you make changes that are not permanent. The original MAC is permanent no matter what you do. There are other methods but again, it can cause unwanted methods and NOT ADVISED.

Although physical MAC (Media Access Control) addresses are permanent by design, several mechanisms allow modification, or "spoofing", of the MAC address that is reported by the operating system. This can be useful for privacy reasons, for instance when connecting to a Wi-Fi hotspot, or to ensure interoperability. Some internet service providers bind their service to a specific MAC address; if the user then changes their network card or intends to install a router, the service won't work anymore. Changing the MAC address of the new interface will solve the problem. Similarly, some software licenses are bound to a specific MAC address. Changing the MAC address in this way is not permanent: after a reboot, it will revert to the MAC address physically stored in the card. A MAC address is 48 bits in length.
As a MAC address can be changed, it can be unwise to rely on this as a single method of authentication. IEEE 802.1x is an emerging standard better suited to authenticating devices at a low level.
You are compensated by having a cleaner game. But as for the constant insistence of a muted realm, I think that is not only unkind but ridiculous. There are players who do have only menu chat which also makes them MUTED. How would you classify them?
Also making threats to KI of not letting your kids play isn't going to work. Many have made similar threats for one reason or another and NOTHING gets changed over threats.
Even though you were not asking me, there is one word that will classify them.
Innocence. The ones with menu chat from the start are completely innocent and are not the right age to have text chat. The muted ones on the other hand are not innocent. They have broken the rules.

And I agree, with the ones who are worried about the whole muted player situation, threats never work. If you think that the game is really not safe for your kids and demand that an action needs to be taken and say you'll leave if nothing is done, then by all means go ahead. I am not forcing anyone, don't take this the wrong way. Like some arguments here seem stupid to you, the same way some of you not realizing there are ways to avoid the bad in this game also seems stupid.

It's how thousands of players avoid the bad. The report and ignore buttons. It's on every players page. Just one click and what's been bothering you will be gone.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2160
yuyingli on Mar 19, 2017 wrote:
"Yes your suggestion makes it a punishment, but your punishment is not exactly fair. These muted wizards still have the right to play the game with friends, go to whichever realm they please and all that apart from having text and or open chat. "

They have no rights. They have a TOS they agreed to. Rather than being banned they should be sent to a private realm. This is punishment. It is supposed to be uncomfortable. They want to ignore the rules, they can pay the consequences. I applaud this suggestion and only wish I had thought of it myself.

For too long these rule breakers have been left unchecked.

You people tell him to have him move his kids into different realms to get away from these unruly players citing that they (they unruly) have the right to play in any realm they want. Don't my kids have that right as well? You say these unruly players have the "right" to play with their friends. Don't my kids have that right as well? My kids may or may not be breaking the rules on this game but I would hope that if my kids are breaking the rules then KI is imposing a fair punishment for doing so.

I agree that muted players need to be placed into a muted realm and I would hope my kids didn't get put there. But if they do get themselves muted, then by all means.

I can't get behind any of the arguments against this suggestion. They make absolutely no sense. If players cannot follow the rules then they need to be punished.
You nor @ghowriter can truthfully say that if one of your own kids did something that got them sent to a "MUTED" realm, you would not be raising all kinds of rukus. I know how kids are and more often than not, they don't want their parents knowing they did something they shouldn't have. This game is not like going to school when it comes to bad behavior. A message is usually sent to the Master Account email, but you can't dig into the issue like you can when bad behavior happens in school.

You can't go into a game and expect everything to be to your liking. Suggestions have been made that will solve the issues you have and if you are not willing to avoid the areas of concern, then you only have one option left and that is to USE the REPORT and IGNORE options.

Nor can you demand that KI create a realm that muted players are sent to with out due course. You state that if your kids were breaking the rules of the game you would hope that KI would impose a FAIR punishment. I highly doubt you would consider it a fair punishment for one or your kids to be sent to that same "muted" realm you are supporting.

The "rule breakers" haven't been left unchecked. Most players have learned to avoid the realms the worst of this happens in and that means there are fewer there to report the bad behavior.

Your choice, switch realms or REPORT and IGNORE just like everyone else does.

Survivor
Dec 28, 2011
6
ghowriter on Mar 2, 2017 wrote:
I may get in trouble for this but I have noticed that being muted in this game, while supposedly a punishment, is not considered such by those being muted. In one conversation on the subject the person said he just makes a dummy second account and speaks through it on behalf of the muted.

I have noticed everyone who is muted doing this exact same thing. What's worse is they will violate all the chat rules on the new account as well. Total disregard for the system.

I would like to suggest and request that Kingsisle separate these disruptive members into isolated realms reserved only for those muted players with no access to any other realms. This would not violate any memberships because they would still have access to the game just not to any non muted player; including their own secondary accounts. Perhaps if you implemented this, it would not be so "cool" to be muted since they wouldn't be able to "brag" to their friends about it.

Also, ten year mute is excessive. A first offense could get a week in the muted realm with no access to friends or anything but other muted players. A second offence could be permanent. I am not a fan of the three strike system. I suspect that with this in place, there would be less muted players within a month.
Not a good idea for this kind of separation. Suspension of an account and/or linked accounts is better.

A 10 year mute means that someone had (possibly) many mutes piled up and/or did something incredibly horrible in the game that this would be implemented.

Survivor
Dec 28, 2011
6
ghowriter on Mar 4, 2017 wrote:
They have the right to play only. There is nothing in the membership or Terms that requires Kingsisle to allow them access to their friends. Besides, if they wanted to hang with friends, then they shouldn't be breaking the rules.

This was a post in the suggestions to make the game better for all. You may or may not agree with the post, but that doesn't give you any cause to flame me for making it just because you don't like it. In my opinion, the ONLY people against this would be those accounts with muted wizards.

I shouldn't have to report these players and my kids shouldn't have to be exposed to their disruptive behaviors.
You posted, therefore others have a right to express their opinions. DragonLady has not flamed you. If you only wanted an agreement with your suggestion, perhaps keeping it within the game and talking about it with your friends would be better instead of bringing it up on the boards, which will give you a variety of suggestions, whether it's in agreement or not.

Disruptive behaviour is inherent in just about every mmorpg game. There's no way around it. KI and other companies do the best they can to curtail this behaviour, but it is also up to the players to help keep the peace and report as necessary, which is a benefit for the entire community. If you don't want your kids exposed to 'disruptive behaviors' then it is your responsibility to ensure they are exposed as little as possible.

Survivor
Dec 28, 2011
6
ghowriter on Mar 6, 2017 wrote:
You make me laugh. Your entire argument is moot and off topic.

It is not discrimination or illegal to restrict players to certain realms if they are incapable of behaving and following the posted rules. If that were even slightly true then every prison in the world would be illegally discriminating against the inmates housed there. For that is what my proposal is.

I am not going to force my kids to do anything. They SHOULDN'T have to change realms to avoid cursing players when there shouldn't BE any cursing players. This post was never about cursing or foul language. It was and IS about the muted players cheating being muted.

This entire post was about the MUTED players cheating being muted by making new low level accounts to speak for them. Putting them in restricted realms violates no rights nor impairs any ability to play this game. It does enforce being muted.

Now, it is not mine nor my kids' responsibility to police this game and report any offenders. That is Kingsisle's job and only their job.

It's funny that only ONE person is against this. In the game, EVERY person thinks it the best idea since gravy. Too bad they don't have memberships and can't post. Enjoy playing your muted player and cheating the system, DragonLady1818.
It's not just one person against it. You can count me against it as well. Anyone who doesn't answer positively to your suggestion, then indicates that anyone who is against you is muted or cheating the system, makes me want to suggest that you need to take a step back and re-evaluate your thread, your rudeness, and your game playability.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3155
SparkleTude on Mar 19, 2017 wrote:
Question: Can players using only menu chat see what people in open chat are saying?

If not then why not give your kids (Ghowriter or anyone concerned about this swearing issue) menu chat only? Then no matter what others do, they won't see it.

I edited this to add: I am not trying at all to be flippant about the issue. I understand it can feel frustrating and helpless when others are trolling peaceful players. It just seems like one potential, practical, solution in the short term. I think a lot of muted players are kids whose parents didn't want them exposed to bad language or possibly exploited ("give me a pack I will help you" type of things.)
menu chat players (kids under 13) only see "..." when text/open-chat players type; however, it is my experience that muted players (people who broke rules) can see text~ they just can't respond.

a few years back, i was in an instance where i was able to communicate with a muted player: he had the no-chat bubble beside his name, and a member of our team asked "are you muted?" he responded with "yes" in menu chat~ not sure if or not this is still the case, but it worked great for us, since we were able to communicate strategy to him and get through the instance relatively painlessly.

again, not sure if this is still the case. but whatever works. and, to your second point, scamming (while deplorable) is not a sanctionable offense; i'm willing to bet that most of those muted players are kids who thought that using explicit language would make them seem "cool" or "mature" to their buddies.

(not so cool now, eh?)

-von

Defender
Mar 10, 2015
154
I agree with you despite being banned once. I think if a person silly enough to repeat his nastiness towards people in 2-3 ban on accounts there IP number gets recorded and they can never make an account on anything that IP touches.they will be forced to buy an entire new computer.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2160
Lukeskywalker1313 on Mar 23, 2017 wrote:
I agree with you despite being banned once. I think if a person silly enough to repeat his nastiness towards people in 2-3 ban on accounts there IP number gets recorded and they can never make an account on anything that IP touches.they will be forced to buy an entire new computer.
Not sure where you are getting your information but IP address is what is assigned to your HOME when you sign up for internet access. If you get an IP BAN, even a new computer won't do you any good as long as it attempts to access something you are banned from.

MAC address is the permanently BUILT IN address of a specific computer during manufacture, also TRACEABLE.

Champion
Mar 16, 2012
491
Lukeskywalker1313 on Mar 23, 2017 wrote:
I agree with you despite being banned once. I think if a person silly enough to repeat his nastiness towards people in 2-3 ban on accounts there IP number gets recorded and they can never make an account on anything that IP touches.they will be forced to buy an entire new computer.
I applaud your honesty in telling us you were banned once.
@ DragonLady1818 - if the user downloads W101 to a new account on a new computer, wouldn't that be untraceable?

Astrologist
Aug 03, 2016
1027
Dr Von on Mar 22, 2017 wrote:
menu chat players (kids under 13) only see "..." when text/open-chat players type; however, it is my experience that muted players (people who broke rules) can see text~ they just can't respond.

a few years back, i was in an instance where i was able to communicate with a muted player: he had the no-chat bubble beside his name, and a member of our team asked "are you muted?" he responded with "yes" in menu chat~ not sure if or not this is still the case, but it worked great for us, since we were able to communicate strategy to him and get through the instance relatively painlessly.

again, not sure if this is still the case. but whatever works. and, to your second point, scamming (while deplorable) is not a sanctionable offense; i'm willing to bet that most of those muted players are kids who thought that using explicit language would make them seem "cool" or "mature" to their buddies.

(not so cool now, eh?)

-von
I read your post twice because part of it confused me, and I wanted to make sure I understood it.

I think you're talking about the players in your parenthetical but just in case: I don't think scamming or cursing is cool.

I only mentioned scamming because I was trying to say that might be one reason parents do not want their minor (under 18) children to have open chat. In other words not because they don'et trust their kids but because they don't trust others to not scam their kids.

The side mention of that one possible reason kids might be muted by their parents really isn't relevant to the question of punished players though. Those kids aren't punished. Their parents are just trying to protect them.
Yes I figured out early on that some players can read what others type. I figured out they must be muted for punishment and not age. The players who didn't buy anything or enable their open chat or they or their parents did not want open chat, couldn't read anything except menu chat.

It took me a few weeks but I figured it out. Still awkward when I'd talk to someone who was on mute and someone else in the team up would snap at me, "they can't read that they are muted!" as if to scold or tsk at me. Well I knew they could, but I didn't want to mention why so I just didn't reply.

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
453
ghowriter on Mar 2, 2017 wrote:
I may get in trouble for this but I have noticed that being muted in this game, while supposedly a punishment, is not considered such by those being muted. In one conversation on the subject the person said he just makes a dummy second account and speaks through it on behalf of the muted.

I have noticed everyone who is muted doing this exact same thing. What's worse is they will violate all the chat rules on the new account as well. Total disregard for the system.

I would like to suggest and request that Kingsisle separate these disruptive members into isolated realms reserved only for those muted players with no access to any other realms. This would not violate any memberships because they would still have access to the game just not to any non muted player; including their own secondary accounts. Perhaps if you implemented this, it would not be so "cool" to be muted since they wouldn't be able to "brag" to their friends about it.

Also, ten year mute is excessive. A first offense could get a week in the muted realm with no access to friends or anything but other muted players. A second offence could be permanent. I am not a fan of the three strike system. I suspect that with this in place, there would be less muted players within a month.
If you have the time to make posts here about Mutes and rudeness, why not just hit the Ignore/Report options and move to a different realm? sending mutes to Alcatraz doesn't sound logical.

I agree rudeness is annoying, but it will keep going unless they get reported enough to get on the KI radar. Let KI deal with the reports and take care of business?

just an fyi, KI recently went on an automated mute system that will mute all associated accounts at once, so making secondary accounts to still abuse the chat system is much more monitored now. this should help out with the issue.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2160
anecorbie on Mar 25, 2017 wrote:
I applaud your honesty in telling us you were banned once.
@ DragonLady1818 - if the user downloads W101 to a new account on a new computer, wouldn't that be untraceable?
No. As long as the player does not have an IP ban, and creates a new account with new email, they should be ok as long as they don't break the rules again. Once an IP ban is in place, Nothing will be able to access W101 on that IP.

KI doesn't necessarily track MAC addresses but it is within their capability to do so if a player is making MULTIPLE new accounts to abuse the game. But it is easier just to issue an IP ban.

Explorer
Apr 06, 2013
53
In my opinion, having a separate realm for muted players is a bad, and harsh idea. Like many people have said, they still have a right to join battles, and hang with their friends! I understand that having a second guy speak for you is a problem, as they still break the rules. I am a menu chat player, and I only do true friends with the people I know so we can text chat. But doesn't it make it dots when the word is not allowed? Man, you can't even say numbers! I'm not saying that's bad, but another problem is people getting reported when they are AFK. Like, some new player is jelly about your mount or gear, and they report you. There's a number of problems with this system. I think Kingsisle should look at the reports, and walk around their game to witness these players breaking the rules. Wizard101 was supposed to be family friendly and all that, but you still see bad language, and false reporting. Every MMO has this problem, but it can't be fixed easily.

Thank you for listening to my rambles

-Cori SkullBlood, Level 57 Necromancer

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2160
Cori SkullBlood on Mar 26, 2017 wrote:
In my opinion, having a separate realm for muted players is a bad, and harsh idea. Like many people have said, they still have a right to join battles, and hang with their friends! I understand that having a second guy speak for you is a problem, as they still break the rules. I am a menu chat player, and I only do true friends with the people I know so we can text chat. But doesn't it make it dots when the word is not allowed? Man, you can't even say numbers! I'm not saying that's bad, but another problem is people getting reported when they are AFK. Like, some new player is jelly about your mount or gear, and they report you. There's a number of problems with this system. I think Kingsisle should look at the reports, and walk around their game to witness these players breaking the rules. Wizard101 was supposed to be family friendly and all that, but you still see bad language, and false reporting. Every MMO has this problem, but it can't be fixed easily.

Thank you for listening to my rambles

-Cori SkullBlood, Level 57 Necromancer
"""I think Kingsisle should look at the reports, and walk around their game to witness these players breaking the rules."""

KI records ALL chat in the game. When reports are made against a specific player, they can and do go back and look at what was said or done. If the offending player has had more than a certain amount of bad behavior, they are either muted or banned. If those making false reports have made a habit of doing so, they are also punished for it.

You never know when a staff member will actually be in the game or a "Hall Monitor".

Explorer
Nov 14, 2015
90
Cori SkullBlood on Mar 26, 2017 wrote:
In my opinion, having a separate realm for muted players is a bad, and harsh idea. Like many people have said, they still have a right to join battles, and hang with their friends! I understand that having a second guy speak for you is a problem, as they still break the rules. I am a menu chat player, and I only do true friends with the people I know so we can text chat. But doesn't it make it dots when the word is not allowed? Man, you can't even say numbers! I'm not saying that's bad, but another problem is people getting reported when they are AFK. Like, some new player is jelly about your mount or gear, and they report you. There's a number of problems with this system. I think Kingsisle should look at the reports, and walk around their game to witness these players breaking the rules. Wizard101 was supposed to be family friendly and all that, but you still see bad language, and false reporting. Every MMO has this problem, but it can't be fixed easily.

Thank you for listening to my rambles

-Cori SkullBlood, Level 57 Necromancer
Lol you don't have text chat but want to talk about it? Tbh that makes NO SENSE at all, and no it doesn't make dots, mute players can't type, they use menu xhat, so they create a 2nd account to type on there, it only shows dots if you have menu chat, and since muted played had other chat options open to begin with they can see the chat

Champion
Mar 16, 2012
491
Ryan DayBreaker on Mar 26, 2017 wrote:
Lol you don't have text chat but want to talk about it? Tbh that makes NO SENSE at all, and no it doesn't make dots, mute players can't type, they use menu xhat, so they create a 2nd account to type on there, it only shows dots if you have menu chat, and since muted played had other chat options open to begin with they can see the chat
It makes perfect sense to me that someone who is concerned about players abusing their chat wishes to express their opinion, whether they're Menu Chatters, Texters or have Open Chat is beside the point.
Young players who are now Menu Chat, will eventually be old enough later to get Text Chat and when they're 18 be eligible for Open Chat.

2