Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Suggestion

1
AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 03, 2014
36
I may get in trouble for this but I have noticed that being muted in this game, while supposedly a punishment, is not considered such by those being muted. In one conversation on the subject the person said he just makes a dummy second account and speaks through it on behalf of the muted.

I have noticed everyone who is muted doing this exact same thing. What's worse is they will violate all the chat rules on the new account as well. Total disregard for the system.

I would like to suggest and request that Kingsisle separate these disruptive members into isolated realms reserved only for those muted players with no access to any other realms. This would not violate any memberships because they would still have access to the game just not to any non muted player; including their own secondary accounts. Perhaps if you implemented this, it would not be so "cool" to be muted since they wouldn't be able to "brag" to their friends about it.

Also, ten year mute is excessive. A first offense could get a week in the muted realm with no access to friends or anything but other muted players. A second offence could be permanent. I am not a fan of the three strike system. I suspect that with this in place, there would be less muted players within a month.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2160
ghowriter on Mar 2, 2017 wrote:
I may get in trouble for this but I have noticed that being muted in this game, while supposedly a punishment, is not considered such by those being muted. In one conversation on the subject the person said he just makes a dummy second account and speaks through it on behalf of the muted.

I have noticed everyone who is muted doing this exact same thing. What's worse is they will violate all the chat rules on the new account as well. Total disregard for the system.

I would like to suggest and request that Kingsisle separate these disruptive members into isolated realms reserved only for those muted players with no access to any other realms. This would not violate any memberships because they would still have access to the game just not to any non muted player; including their own secondary accounts. Perhaps if you implemented this, it would not be so "cool" to be muted since they wouldn't be able to "brag" to their friends about it.

Also, ten year mute is excessive. A first offense could get a week in the muted realm with no access to friends or anything but other muted players. A second offence could be permanent. I am not a fan of the three strike system. I suspect that with this in place, there would be less muted players within a month.
Eventually KI will become aware of those with the second accounts still continuing with the Foul language. Many have tried it in the past and most of those who broke the rules on multiple accounts are no longer playing. This is not the first or only online game to have this kind of problem and won't be the last.

As for making realms for muted players? That is not fair to them. Just because they are muted, they still have the right to play and join with friends in battle.

The ten year mute is done due to the fact the language was either way overboard or personal information such as user/passwords were given out. That is the #1 rule. DO NOT share.

KI has their own guidelines for muting or banning players. The only thing you can do is report a player who is violating the ToU.

Your only choice is to switch to a realm that does not have these players. Wu realm has always been the worst and many have learned to avoid it.

Survivor
Jan 03, 2014
36
DragonLady1818 on Mar 2, 2017 wrote:
Eventually KI will become aware of those with the second accounts still continuing with the Foul language. Many have tried it in the past and most of those who broke the rules on multiple accounts are no longer playing. This is not the first or only online game to have this kind of problem and won't be the last.

As for making realms for muted players? That is not fair to them. Just because they are muted, they still have the right to play and join with friends in battle.

The ten year mute is done due to the fact the language was either way overboard or personal information such as user/passwords were given out. That is the #1 rule. DO NOT share.

KI has their own guidelines for muting or banning players. The only thing you can do is report a player who is violating the ToU.

Your only choice is to switch to a realm that does not have these players. Wu realm has always been the worst and many have learned to avoid it.
They have the right to play only. There is nothing in the membership or Terms that requires Kingsisle to allow them access to their friends. Besides, if they wanted to hang with friends, then they shouldn't be breaking the rules.

This was a post in the suggestions to make the game better for all. You may or may not agree with the post, but that doesn't give you any cause to flame me for making it just because you don't like it. In my opinion, the ONLY people against this would be those accounts with muted wizards.

I shouldn't have to report these players and my kids shouldn't have to be exposed to their disruptive behaviors.

Explorer
Nov 14, 2015
90
ghowriter on Mar 2, 2017 wrote:
I may get in trouble for this but I have noticed that being muted in this game, while supposedly a punishment, is not considered such by those being muted. In one conversation on the subject the person said he just makes a dummy second account and speaks through it on behalf of the muted.

I have noticed everyone who is muted doing this exact same thing. What's worse is they will violate all the chat rules on the new account as well. Total disregard for the system.

I would like to suggest and request that Kingsisle separate these disruptive members into isolated realms reserved only for those muted players with no access to any other realms. This would not violate any memberships because they would still have access to the game just not to any non muted player; including their own secondary accounts. Perhaps if you implemented this, it would not be so "cool" to be muted since they wouldn't be able to "brag" to their friends about it.

Also, ten year mute is excessive. A first offense could get a week in the muted realm with no access to friends or anything but other muted players. A second offence could be permanent. I am not a fan of the three strike system. I suspect that with this in place, there would be less muted players within a month.
i know a few people that have actually been muted for 10 years on the first offense, it seems a little harsh to me, but it's nothing to brag about, at least no one i have met brags about it

Survivor
Jan 08, 2014
7
ghowriter on Mar 2, 2017 wrote:
I may get in trouble for this but I have noticed that being muted in this game, while supposedly a punishment, is not considered such by those being muted. In one conversation on the subject the person said he just makes a dummy second account and speaks through it on behalf of the muted.

I have noticed everyone who is muted doing this exact same thing. What's worse is they will violate all the chat rules on the new account as well. Total disregard for the system.

I would like to suggest and request that Kingsisle separate these disruptive members into isolated realms reserved only for those muted players with no access to any other realms. This would not violate any memberships because they would still have access to the game just not to any non muted player; including their own secondary accounts. Perhaps if you implemented this, it would not be so "cool" to be muted since they wouldn't be able to "brag" to their friends about it.

Also, ten year mute is excessive. A first offense could get a week in the muted realm with no access to friends or anything but other muted players. A second offence could be permanent. I am not a fan of the three strike system. I suspect that with this in place, there would be less muted players within a month.
Let it be done! Please! Please!

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2160
ghowriter on Mar 4, 2017 wrote:
They have the right to play only. There is nothing in the membership or Terms that requires Kingsisle to allow them access to their friends. Besides, if they wanted to hang with friends, then they shouldn't be breaking the rules.

This was a post in the suggestions to make the game better for all. You may or may not agree with the post, but that doesn't give you any cause to flame me for making it just because you don't like it. In my opinion, the ONLY people against this would be those accounts with muted wizards.

I shouldn't have to report these players and my kids shouldn't have to be exposed to their disruptive behaviors.
There are other realms available to you and your kids to play in. I agree that kids should not be exposed to bad behavior, BUT, it is your responsibility as a parent to make sure they are playing in realms that aren't exposed to said bad behavior.

Ever hear the term "DISCRIMINATION". That is exactly what this would be if your suggestion was implemented and is ILLEGAL.

Everyone who plays this game has the same rights including access to their friends. KI will take care of those who break the rules. But separating them from other players isn't going to be one of them. If it were, it would have been done a long time ago. Muted players have the same rights you do whether you like it or not.

"""In my opinion, the ONLY people against this would be those accounts with muted wizards."""

I don't have nor have I ever had an account with muted wizards but I do want to see this game continue. You might want to think about that if you want to continue playing.

If you don't think you should have to report those players for foul language, then I suggest you move to a different realm like many of us have. Realms that are tagged as "Perfect" are usually very quiet.

Some of those muted players may also be young kids. Some parents do prevent their kids from becoming involved with the chat in games. A parent has the options to turn on or off Text chat depending on the ages and the birth dates used when accounts are set up. If you gave your kids the options to use Text or Open Chat, you are the one to change that by using the master password and turning it on or off.

Survivor
Jan 03, 2014
36
You make me laugh. Your entire argument is moot and off topic.

It is not discrimination or illegal to restrict players to certain realms if they are incapable of behaving and following the posted rules. If that were even slightly true then every prison in the world would be illegally discriminating against the inmates housed there. For that is what my proposal is.

I am not going to force my kids to do anything. They SHOULDN'T have to change realms to avoid cursing players when there shouldn't BE any cursing players. This post was never about cursing or foul language. It was and IS about the muted players cheating being muted.

This entire post was about the MUTED players cheating being muted by making new low level accounts to speak for them. Putting them in restricted realms violates no rights nor impairs any ability to play this game. It does enforce being muted.

Now, it is not mine nor my kids' responsibility to police this game and report any offenders. That is Kingsisle's job and only their job.

It's funny that only ONE person is against this. In the game, EVERY person thinks it the best idea since gravy. Too bad they don't have memberships and can't post. Enjoy playing your muted player and cheating the system, DragonLady1818.

Geographer
Aug 03, 2016
927
I don't agree that if anyone disagrees with you that automatically means they are 'muted players' or 'rule breakers' themselves.
I am neither and I can only say I see a practical flaw in the proposal. If they are making a 'ghost account' to type with then they can also make a 'ghost account' to play in all of the usual realms with, too.

If you don't want to report people you don't have to. But it's pretty well impossible to control other people's behavior. I think KI does a great job and does all it can to make and enforce rules that help to protect and keep the game safe for all players, as much as is feasible.

There really is no perfect way to protect kids while they are online since the internet is filled with total strangers.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2160
ghowriter on Mar 6, 2017 wrote:
You make me laugh. Your entire argument is moot and off topic.

It is not discrimination or illegal to restrict players to certain realms if they are incapable of behaving and following the posted rules. If that were even slightly true then every prison in the world would be illegally discriminating against the inmates housed there. For that is what my proposal is.

I am not going to force my kids to do anything. They SHOULDN'T have to change realms to avoid cursing players when there shouldn't BE any cursing players. This post was never about cursing or foul language. It was and IS about the muted players cheating being muted.

This entire post was about the MUTED players cheating being muted by making new low level accounts to speak for them. Putting them in restricted realms violates no rights nor impairs any ability to play this game. It does enforce being muted.

Now, it is not mine nor my kids' responsibility to police this game and report any offenders. That is Kingsisle's job and only their job.

It's funny that only ONE person is against this. In the game, EVERY person thinks it the best idea since gravy. Too bad they don't have memberships and can't post. Enjoy playing your muted player and cheating the system, DragonLady1818.
There is nothing in the membership or Terms of Use that requires KI to allow you and your kids to continue playing either. If you had read it thoroughly, you would have noted that KI reserves the right to ban the use of the game at any time for any reason or no reason.

I don't find that anything I have replied is really moot or off topic. Just because a player is Muted and has created a new wizard account, doesn't mean they should be restricted to a specific realm. There are options you can take and you have chosen to ignore those options and yet you are basically demanding that KI give in to you.

Your topic may not be directly targeting cursing, but, that is exactly what it boils down to since many players who are muted have been muted just for cursing in the game. The game itself is a lot cleaner for the most part than it was 5 or 6 years ago and that is because there were groups of players who joined together to REPORT this kind of thing. Yes, many of them attempted making new accounts in which KI issued a permanent ban of some because they did not learn from the mutes. KI will also be watching for reports today as they did then.

Players requested a "Report" button years ago just for the purpose of letting KI know what is happening in the game. It is your choice whether you use it or not. There are other realms and it is your choice whether you choose to change for a cleaner realm continue in the one you dislike so much. Muted players have the same rights as you or anyone else in this game. But NO ONE has the right to demand they be separated from the rest of the community.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2160
ghowriter on Mar 6, 2017 wrote:
You make me laugh. Your entire argument is moot and off topic.

It is not discrimination or illegal to restrict players to certain realms if they are incapable of behaving and following the posted rules. If that were even slightly true then every prison in the world would be illegally discriminating against the inmates housed there. For that is what my proposal is.

I am not going to force my kids to do anything. They SHOULDN'T have to change realms to avoid cursing players when there shouldn't BE any cursing players. This post was never about cursing or foul language. It was and IS about the muted players cheating being muted.

This entire post was about the MUTED players cheating being muted by making new low level accounts to speak for them. Putting them in restricted realms violates no rights nor impairs any ability to play this game. It does enforce being muted.

Now, it is not mine nor my kids' responsibility to police this game and report any offenders. That is Kingsisle's job and only their job.

It's funny that only ONE person is against this. In the game, EVERY person thinks it the best idea since gravy. Too bad they don't have memberships and can't post. Enjoy playing your muted player and cheating the system, DragonLady1818.
"""It's funny that only ONE person is against this. In the game, EVERY person thinks it the best idea since gravy. Too bad they don't have memberships and can't post. Enjoy playing your muted player and cheating the system, DragonLady1818."""

As for EVERY person thinking it is the best idea since gravy, I find that comment ludicrous.

As for your assumptions that I have a muted account, that is also ludicrous.

I have been member since 2009 and have never had a muted wizard or account. I also would not be playing if I could not communicate with my friends. I am also a GRANDMOTHER who detests foul language in a family game or in my home. But I do not agree with preventing others from playing the entire game whether muted or not. I also don't agree with restricting muted players to a specific realm. Not all players who appear to be mute are muted because of breaking the rules. Some happen to be YOUNG players who are too young to have any form of text chat.

There is nothing that is considered as CHEATING just because a muted player has made a new account or "dummy" account. KI can track those same new accounts right back to their owners just by IP and MAC addresses.

There are options open to you and your kids. If you choose not to use them, then that is your choice but you can't insist that KI do as you suggest..

Oh, yes, IF you and your kids are running in "WU" realm, be forewarned, that is the worst in the game.

Champion
Mar 16, 2012
467
ghowriter on Mar 6, 2017 wrote:
You make me laugh. Your entire argument is moot and off topic.

It is not discrimination or illegal to restrict players to certain realms if they are incapable of behaving and following the posted rules. If that were even slightly true then every prison in the world would be illegally discriminating against the inmates housed there. For that is what my proposal is.

I am not going to force my kids to do anything. They SHOULDN'T have to change realms to avoid cursing players when there shouldn't BE any cursing players. This post was never about cursing or foul language. It was and IS about the muted players cheating being muted.

This entire post was about the MUTED players cheating being muted by making new low level accounts to speak for them. Putting them in restricted realms violates no rights nor impairs any ability to play this game. It does enforce being muted.

Now, it is not mine nor my kids' responsibility to police this game and report any offenders. That is Kingsisle's job and only their job.

It's funny that only ONE person is against this. In the game, EVERY person thinks it the best idea since gravy. Too bad they don't have memberships and can't post. Enjoy playing your muted player and cheating the system, DragonLady1818.
Actually, your statement is wrong on sevral counts,
1. I agree with Dragonlady1818.
2. I'm against KI making any separate realm for any reason, because that slows down game production and causes a financial difficulty for KI.
3. It is up to us players to police reportable behavior or why else is there a report button available. KI can not be on every server 24/7 scoping out what players are doing or saying. It is our responsibility to help KI make the game safer and more friendly.
Muted players cheating by making new accounts isn't your business. If they don't change their behavior patterns, then they'll be muted again and again and as long as they make new accounts and behave badly, they'll continue to be muted..
Plus, a little respect goes a long way on these boards and your replies to DragonLady1818 go beyond rudeness.
P.S. I'm not a muted player and I don't engage in reportable behavior.

Mastermind
Jun 26, 2009
369
Seems like an interesting/creative way to punish players. I've never seen a game exclude players who have violated the TOS to a separate server where the only other players are others who have violated the TOS. I'm sure there will be costs associated with making this happen, doesn't mean it's a bad idea however.

Have to admit though that there are tons of players with low level accounts that just type any little crazy/obscene thing that pops in their heads, and I don't think it's just children doing it. I have reported so many low level accounts for this. My ignore list is huge, and keeps getting bigger. Maybe something like this would make people take notice.

Maybe the separation from the regular server wont have such severe ban times. Ten years is kinda long imo. If people still play after getting ten year chat bans, I'm sure a lot of them will still play on a separate server.

Could accounts with a chat ban have their IP address banned from making new accounts? I know a blanket ip ban is a little unfair, but it could slow this down a bit. If you can't make a new account to act the fool on, people might be more inclined to take care to follow the rules.

Mastermind
Jun 26, 2009
369
ghowriter on Mar 4, 2017 wrote:
They have the right to play only. There is nothing in the membership or Terms that requires Kingsisle to allow them access to their friends. Besides, if they wanted to hang with friends, then they shouldn't be breaking the rules.

This was a post in the suggestions to make the game better for all. You may or may not agree with the post, but that doesn't give you any cause to flame me for making it just because you don't like it. In my opinion, the ONLY people against this would be those accounts with muted wizards.

I shouldn't have to report these players and my kids shouldn't have to be exposed to their disruptive behaviors.
The only way for Kingsisle to discover who these people are, is for you to report them. They need our help, there's not enough employees to be on the lookout for people breaking the rules 24/7. If you see something, say something.

As for being flamed that's one thing I can say dragonlady doesn't do, and I hardly ever agree with her either. (Edit: Trust me, I know flaming. This isn't it).
You posted your suggestion (Which I do like) and she replied with her opinion. I didn't see any malice in her response.

Seems like you both are good at hyperbole though... Illegal? Discrimination?

Wow.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2160
Mr Talon on Mar 9, 2017 wrote:
Seems like an interesting/creative way to punish players. I've never seen a game exclude players who have violated the TOS to a separate server where the only other players are others who have violated the TOS. I'm sure there will be costs associated with making this happen, doesn't mean it's a bad idea however.

Have to admit though that there are tons of players with low level accounts that just type any little crazy/obscene thing that pops in their heads, and I don't think it's just children doing it. I have reported so many low level accounts for this. My ignore list is huge, and keeps getting bigger. Maybe something like this would make people take notice.

Maybe the separation from the regular server wont have such severe ban times. Ten years is kinda long imo. If people still play after getting ten year chat bans, I'm sure a lot of them will still play on a separate server.

Could accounts with a chat ban have their IP address banned from making new accounts? I know a blanket ip ban is a little unfair, but it could slow this down a bit. If you can't make a new account to act the fool on, people might be more inclined to take care to follow the rules.
Do you remember how bad the foul language got back in 2012 especially in WU realm?

It was so bad that 2 or 3 groups of players, mostly adults started moving around in that realm and reported numerous players for that same reason. KI formed the "Hall Monitors" and the groups went back to regular play.

There were many who were reported and KI started out with a 24 hour chat ban and went up from there depending on the extent those players went in their chat. Many of them had Open and Others had Text but they had figured out how to get around the filters. Many of those players made multiple new accounts attempting to continue with their abuse of the system... KI was watching and since the new accounts all traced back to certain IP and MAC addresses, they began banning them and in a few cases, it caused Family Accounts to be permanently banned. So Yes, KI can and will if necessary Chat ban or permanent ban.

For those of you who don't know what a MAC address is, it is the actual computer address. That is built into the computer during manufacture and will NEVER change. Only an IP address can change.

What everyone needs to remember is that KI DOES LOG ALL CHAT. They can go back anytime to see what a specific player/s have chatted if they are reported for any offense. By that they can also track new accounts that player makes and will do what is needed if the player refuses to play according to the ToU.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2160
Mr Talon on Mar 9, 2017 wrote:
The only way for Kingsisle to discover who these people are, is for you to report them. They need our help, there's not enough employees to be on the lookout for people breaking the rules 24/7. If you see something, say something.

As for being flamed that's one thing I can say dragonlady doesn't do, and I hardly ever agree with her either. (Edit: Trust me, I know flaming. This isn't it).
You posted your suggestion (Which I do like) and she replied with her opinion. I didn't see any malice in her response.

Seems like you both are good at hyperbole though... Illegal? Discrimination?

Wow.
Thank you.

True, we hardly ever agree on anything.

Using Illegal and Discrimination is in reality something that even KI would have to take a long look at before taking steps to separate players for this kind of issue.

Freedom of Speech comes to mind BUT, when in another persons house, namely in this case KI, they do have the right to set rules to play by. That in itself is not taking away the Freedom of Speech but is insisting on players not use foul language in their house. I have that same rule in my own house. Some of my kids and even grandkids have a tendency to use language I don't like but they know not to do it in my home or they can leave.

The fact that the "Report Button" was requested and given since players asked for this early in the game just for this very reason, It would be best to use it instead of insisting on players being separated. Otherwise, it is highly possible the foul language will rise again to what it was 5 years ago. Just report them and let KI handle it. There are also plenty of realms to move to and avoid all of it.

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
347
Most muted players use a second account to communicate and even though their main has been muted because of getting around the filters or sharing private information they still continue to swear around the filters.

That in my opinion is disgusting. You've already done some stupid stuff to get your self muted in the first place, you've now got a way to communicate and you still abuse the chat with that second account? Seriously? That's how most muted players roll. BUT they are people who are muted, who have a second account and have learnt from their mistakes and DO NOT abuse the chat. I have respect for those kind of players who realize what they have done and do not continue to abuse the chat even though they can with their second account.

Now on to your little idea of having a completely different realm for muted players.

Having this is just as good as banning. You're muted, you're now in this different realm, all your friends are gone and the only communication you can do is through menu chat and you can only communicate to people who are muted just like you. You've been cut off from the game.

It's like KI is saying: Yo, you've broken our chat rules and cause you've done that we're gonna make you isolated in this realm with people who have done the same as you. TO THEIR FACE.

I mean, I wont really care if they add this because it's for muted players but you're kinda taking away the game from them.

Most open chat players are over 18. They know what they're getting into by swearing around the filters. Some aren't 18 and just lie about their age when signing up just so they can troll, scam and all that ish. I'm honestly worried about them tbh.

Mastermind
Jun 26, 2009
369
Mirajane7887 on Mar 11, 2017 wrote:
Most muted players use a second account to communicate and even though their main has been muted because of getting around the filters or sharing private information they still continue to swear around the filters.

That in my opinion is disgusting. You've already done some stupid stuff to get your self muted in the first place, you've now got a way to communicate and you still abuse the chat with that second account? Seriously? That's how most muted players roll. BUT they are people who are muted, who have a second account and have learnt from their mistakes and DO NOT abuse the chat. I have respect for those kind of players who realize what they have done and do not continue to abuse the chat even though they can with their second account.

Now on to your little idea of having a completely different realm for muted players.

Having this is just as good as banning. You're muted, you're now in this different realm, all your friends are gone and the only communication you can do is through menu chat and you can only communicate to people who are muted just like you. You've been cut off from the game.

It's like KI is saying: Yo, you've broken our chat rules and cause you've done that we're gonna make you isolated in this realm with people who have done the same as you. TO THEIR FACE.

I mean, I wont really care if they add this because it's for muted players but you're kinda taking away the game from them.

Most open chat players are over 18. They know what they're getting into by swearing around the filters. Some aren't 18 and just lie about their age when signing up just so they can troll, scam and all that ish. I'm honestly worried about them tbh.
I think you're misrepresenting his idea when you say ...

"You've been cut off from the game.".

The only thing you're cut off from is other players who don't have a problem complying with the rules.

You are correct when you say:

"It's like KI is saying: Yo, you've broken our chat rules and cause you've done that we're gonna make you isolated in this realm with people who have done the same as you. TO THEIR FACE."

The reason they need that harsh reality is because that individual decided to say(type) whatever they wanted to say(type). Didn't care about who, what or where they were when they said(typed) it. Basically to Kingsisle's face.

When you act the fool in school, or at least when I did, they had this thing called detention. Which is on school grounds, in a classroom. I'm still in the same school as everyone else. But I'm in a classroom with students who for whatever reason did something for them to warrant them being there too. We don't get to interact with other students, but we were still in school, not being deprived of getting an education.

So you can still play, you just can't do it with everyone else till your time in detention is done. Makes you not want to visit detention again.

Edit: You could also say that having detention is a financial burden the school has taken on, but they thought it worthwhile to create. Detention has a teacher that is now not teaching anything, but being paid to sit and watch students remain quiet in a classroom while doing their classwork.

Champion
Mar 16, 2012
467
Mr Talon on Mar 12, 2017 wrote:
I think you're misrepresenting his idea when you say ...

"You've been cut off from the game.".

The only thing you're cut off from is other players who don't have a problem complying with the rules.

You are correct when you say:

"It's like KI is saying: Yo, you've broken our chat rules and cause you've done that we're gonna make you isolated in this realm with people who have done the same as you. TO THEIR FACE."

The reason they need that harsh reality is because that individual decided to say(type) whatever they wanted to say(type). Didn't care about who, what or where they were when they said(typed) it. Basically to Kingsisle's face.

When you act the fool in school, or at least when I did, they had this thing called detention. Which is on school grounds, in a classroom. I'm still in the same school as everyone else. But I'm in a classroom with students who for whatever reason did something for them to warrant them being there too. We don't get to interact with other students, but we were still in school, not being deprived of getting an education.

So you can still play, you just can't do it with everyone else till your time in detention is done. Makes you not want to visit detention again.

Edit: You could also say that having detention is a financial burden the school has taken on, but they thought it worthwhile to create. Detention has a teacher that is now not teaching anything, but being paid to sit and watch students remain quiet in a classroom while doing their classwork.
My detention was done after school for a certain number of days; I still got to go to my normal classes.

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
347
Mr Talon on Mar 12, 2017 wrote:
I think you're misrepresenting his idea when you say ...

"You've been cut off from the game.".

The only thing you're cut off from is other players who don't have a problem complying with the rules.

You are correct when you say:

"It's like KI is saying: Yo, you've broken our chat rules and cause you've done that we're gonna make you isolated in this realm with people who have done the same as you. TO THEIR FACE."

The reason they need that harsh reality is because that individual decided to say(type) whatever they wanted to say(type). Didn't care about who, what or where they were when they said(typed) it. Basically to Kingsisle's face.

When you act the fool in school, or at least when I did, they had this thing called detention. Which is on school grounds, in a classroom. I'm still in the same school as everyone else. But I'm in a classroom with students who for whatever reason did something for them to warrant them being there too. We don't get to interact with other students, but we were still in school, not being deprived of getting an education.

So you can still play, you just can't do it with everyone else till your time in detention is done. Makes you not want to visit detention again.

Edit: You could also say that having detention is a financial burden the school has taken on, but they thought it worthwhile to create. Detention has a teacher that is now not teaching anything, but being paid to sit and watch students remain quiet in a classroom while doing their classwork.
I didn't expect someone to take what I said literally. But it's kinda like being cut off from the game. That's what I was trying to say.

And to Ghowriter,

Your opinion on the people disagreeing is not very nice. And it's for sure not true.

Most muted players (10 year mutes) probably don't care about the Message Boards at all. They only care about their friends.

In defense of DragonLady, I don't think any muted player would be such an active member of the W101 Message Boards. Like I said, they probably don't care at all for the other members of the W101 Community apart from their little sidekicks.

Ghowriter,
IN MY OPINION I think you telling people that you think we're muted if we disagree is like forcing someone to agree, even if they don't only because they don't want you to accuse them of being muted. :)

Js, I don't care if you call me a muted player, because I know that I'm not.

Delver
Jul 24, 2015
247
I find it very believable that there are players in the habit of circumventing their restrictions. I also find it very believable that these players often make trouble for others in the game, and use a very disproportionate amount of effort from the hall monitors.

The solution to these individuals isn't to give them their own realm to wreck, though. Instead, give them a time out. If suspending their account doesn't do the trick, escalate and ban them altogether.

This lets developers focus on making the best possible experience for people who don't entertain themselves at others' expenses.

Defender
Jun 04, 2014
108
I like what Toontown did in response to users that broke the rules with respect to chat. Instead of muting a player, you were banned from playing for a specified period of time. It ranged from (as I recall) 48 hours to as long as a week, then a month, then a year (and no refund of your subscription). Their chat rules were a lot more strict too - so much so that over the 10 years I played, I actually got banned twice for a 48 hour period for something that I thought was pretty innocuous. And I still remember (not fondly) those banned time periods.

The thing is, the prospect of not being able to play at all on your entire account was pretty sobering, and that actually served to keep players a lot more in line. I remember over that time lots of users who were regulars would suddenly disappear and then show up a week later and recount their horror stories of being banned and unable to play. Very rarely did these people repeat the issue that made them lose their account access. It seemed to be pretty effective.

I realize that muting still allows people to play, and still brings Kingsisle some revenue from the muted players because they can still buy stuff with crowns, but I think keeping players from being able to play at all will better drive the message home. And if you are going to say "Well they can create a new non-paying account and still play" - that is not much of an incentive for a high level player who cannot play their character for the ban duration.(albeit temporarily). They probably do not want to start over, and really, who wants to be restricted to only playing in some parts of Wizard City while waiting for the ban to run out?

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2160
CUTEHORSEY on Mar 13, 2017 wrote:
I like what Toontown did in response to users that broke the rules with respect to chat. Instead of muting a player, you were banned from playing for a specified period of time. It ranged from (as I recall) 48 hours to as long as a week, then a month, then a year (and no refund of your subscription). Their chat rules were a lot more strict too - so much so that over the 10 years I played, I actually got banned twice for a 48 hour period for something that I thought was pretty innocuous. And I still remember (not fondly) those banned time periods.

The thing is, the prospect of not being able to play at all on your entire account was pretty sobering, and that actually served to keep players a lot more in line. I remember over that time lots of users who were regulars would suddenly disappear and then show up a week later and recount their horror stories of being banned and unable to play. Very rarely did these people repeat the issue that made them lose their account access. It seemed to be pretty effective.

I realize that muting still allows people to play, and still brings Kingsisle some revenue from the muted players because they can still buy stuff with crowns, but I think keeping players from being able to play at all will better drive the message home. And if you are going to say "Well they can create a new non-paying account and still play" - that is not much of an incentive for a high level player who cannot play their character for the ban duration.(albeit temporarily). They probably do not want to start over, and really, who wants to be restricted to only playing in some parts of Wizard City while waiting for the ban to run out?
This makes more sense than requesting KI tamper with the system to split off some of the realms. Especially since there are players who do use the "Perfect" realms such as myself.

I prefer to play in an uncrowded realm and don't approve of having realms that we can't access just because it is being occupied by players who have been muted due to breaking the ToU.

Since KI already has a "No Refund" in place anyway, it should be a simple matter to implement temporary bans based on the Offense.

Survivor
Jan 03, 2014
36
DragonLady1818 on Mar 7, 2017 wrote:
There is nothing in the membership or Terms of Use that requires KI to allow you and your kids to continue playing either. If you had read it thoroughly, you would have noted that KI reserves the right to ban the use of the game at any time for any reason or no reason.

I don't find that anything I have replied is really moot or off topic. Just because a player is Muted and has created a new wizard account, doesn't mean they should be restricted to a specific realm. There are options you can take and you have chosen to ignore those options and yet you are basically demanding that KI give in to you.

Your topic may not be directly targeting cursing, but, that is exactly what it boils down to since many players who are muted have been muted just for cursing in the game. The game itself is a lot cleaner for the most part than it was 5 or 6 years ago and that is because there were groups of players who joined together to REPORT this kind of thing. Yes, many of them attempted making new accounts in which KI issued a permanent ban of some because they did not learn from the mutes. KI will also be watching for reports today as they did then.

Players requested a "Report" button years ago just for the purpose of letting KI know what is happening in the game. It is your choice whether you use it or not. There are other realms and it is your choice whether you choose to change for a cleaner realm continue in the one you dislike so much. Muted players have the same rights as you or anyone else in this game. But NO ONE has the right to demand they be separated from the rest of the community.
This I agree with! Yay! I still say they should put all muted players in a muted realm with no access to friends or other players. Make an impact! Make being muted a real punishment!

Survivor
Jan 03, 2014
36
For those of you who don't know what a MAC address is, it is the actual computer address. That is built into the computer during manufacture and will NEVER change. Only an IP address can change.

As a computer tech, I can assure you this is incorrect.

While a MAC address is built into the hardware and physically unchangeable, every computer, tablet, phone allows you to software override the hardware MAC address and input anything you want. This is possible even on cable and DSL modems. Change one digit and you have an entirely new MAC address. Change the MAC address also changes the IP address bypassing any IP based block.

As for reporting. If reporting was our responsibility, it would be available to all players, not just members. I, for one, did not pay this company my hard earned money to police their game. If I am expected to do so, then I expect compensation for my efforts.

Their filters can be adjusted to detect any violation of the terms of use. You seriously underestimate the power of the PC. These aren't Commodore 64 machines.

Regardless. There needs to be a muted realm. Plain and simple. It will make being muted something to be feared. As it stands, being muted is naught but a nuisance easily circumvented by making a talking wizard on another account. In short, as it stands, might as well do away with muting players all together since it literally means nothing to be muted. I might as well get my account muted, I can make 10 accounts with which to talk from. Being muted is a joke not a punishment and EVERYONE knows it. My suggestion makes it a punishment but, oh, no, let's not punish wrong doers.

I will stop letting my kids play if something isn't done.

Geographer
Aug 03, 2016
927
Ghowriter said: "As it stands, being muted is naught but a nuisance easily circumvented by making a talking wizard on another account. In short, as it stands, might as well do away with muting players all together since it literally means nothing to be muted. I might as well get my account muted, I can make 10 accounts with which to talk from."

Which is what I had said earlier too - But as a reason I didn't think a muted realm would do much good.


So are you proposing the person's entire account be muted or moved to a muted realm?

I can't help but think of the Twilight Zone episode in which people were sent to the corn field.

1