Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Storm Dot Spell

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 29, 2008
70
Storm need a dot spell so here is what I came up with.

Professor Bale

1 pip and 6 pips
Accuracy 70%

1,125 Storm Damage to all enemies and 525 damage over 3 rounds plus stun.

Good?

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4162
I haven't seen a need for a dot on storm. We one hit kill, it's what storm does.

Survivor
Aug 23, 2015
7
Bad. Storm will never get a DoT spell.

Firstly, if storm got a dot spell, it would be impossible to have a defense against storms huge damage. That alone would make storm OP. You would never get to shield against a storm, both in PvP, and in the normal game. They could just use their damage DoT to clear your shields, then attack with a powerful attack like Glowbugs.

Now, let's talk about your specific spell.

Over 1,600 damage DoT to all enemies, PLUS a stun? That's so incredibly overpowered I don't know what to say.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
2225
Epic Mrman67 on Oct 15, 2015 wrote:
Storm need a dot spell so here is what I came up with.

Professor Bale

1 pip and 6 pips
Accuracy 70%

1,125 Storm Damage to all enemies and 525 damage over 3 rounds plus stun.

Good?
Storm doesnt need a DoT. As has been echoed MANY many times on this forum, not every school needs every type of spell. That being said, Storm hound tc is already in the game. It does 150 dmg per pip over 3 rounds.

www.wizard101central.com/wiki/TreasureCard:Storm_Hound

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
1024
I agree that Storm needs a DoT spell. Storm is a low tier school at every level range in 1v1 PvP and has been that way since the game's inception. A properly executed storm DoT is not overpowering and would allow storm some critical shield-breaking capability which it currently lacks.

Delver
Nov 27, 2013
256
Survivor
Feb 08, 2012
22
I find it funny how people base everything on PVP, as if PvE does not exist. Do you know how difficult it would be for actual players and questers to QUEST if Storm had this incredibly overpowered DoT? Lowtier schools in everything like Myth would be obliterated and would have little to no chance of leveling up.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
1124
BionicMyth on Oct 21, 2015 wrote:
I find it funny how people base everything on PVP, as if PvE does not exist. Do you know how difficult it would be for actual players and questers to QUEST if Storm had this incredibly overpowered DoT? Lowtier schools in everything like Myth would be obliterated and would have little to no chance of leveling up.
Agreed! The vast majority of players PvE only and introducing a Storm DoT would be devastating to the solo PvE players. The high level Storm bosses who already seem to critical every hit, usually with Wild Bolt, would have one more lethal weapon to add to their arsenals. And rest assured, if KI were to add a Storm DoT, the very next day this forum would be filled with PvPers screaming for it to banned in PvP!

Survivor
Dec 21, 2012
4
runningwithfriends on Oct 16, 2015 wrote:
Bad. Storm will never get a DoT spell.

Firstly, if storm got a dot spell, it would be impossible to have a defense against storms huge damage. That alone would make storm OP. You would never get to shield against a storm, both in PvP, and in the normal game. They could just use their damage DoT to clear your shields, then attack with a powerful attack like Glowbugs.

Now, let's talk about your specific spell.

Over 1,600 damage DoT to all enemies, PLUS a stun? That's so incredibly overpowered I don't know what to say.
I agree with this 100%

Storm is already the most over powered school in the game, that being said does not need a Dot to make it even Op.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
1024
ChicoValerian on Oct 21, 2015 wrote:
Use storm elf.
Storm Elf along with Storm Hound are some of the rarest TC in the game and as not are not realistic options for Storm wizards.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
1024
BionicMyth on Oct 21, 2015 wrote:
I find it funny how people base everything on PVP, as if PvE does not exist. Do you know how difficult it would be for actual players and questers to QUEST if Storm had this incredibly overpowered DoT? Lowtier schools in everything like Myth would be obliterated and would have little to no chance of leveling up.
What are you talking about? How in the world does a Storm DoT have ANYTHING to do with PvE. Storm having a DoT no more inhibits myth players than Life having a DoT.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
1024
TucsonWizard on Oct 22, 2015 wrote:
Agreed! The vast majority of players PvE only and introducing a Storm DoT would be devastating to the solo PvE players. The high level Storm bosses who already seem to critical every hit, usually with Wild Bolt, would have one more lethal weapon to add to their arsenals. And rest assured, if KI were to add a Storm DoT, the very next day this forum would be filled with PvPers screaming for it to banned in PvP!
Oh cool so Bosses define what can and can't be added to the game. Well I guess we should remove pip reducers such as Lord of Winter since they make life more difficult. Or how about Gaze of Fate? I don't like being infected so we should just not add Dr Von's monster either.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
1124
Eric Stormbringer on Oct 23, 2015 wrote:
Oh cool so Bosses define what can and can't be added to the game. Well I guess we should remove pip reducers such as Lord of Winter since they make life more difficult. Or how about Gaze of Fate? I don't like being infected so we should just not add Dr Von's monster either.
Even though I mentioned bosses in my comment this isn't all about bosses, it's about Storm in general and the damage it already deals. Even facing Storm mobs in street battles can be challenging and to face them with a DoT would be even more so. You introduced PvP into this discussion when it's uncertain whether the OP had either aspect of the game specifically in mind. My response was meant to point out the implications of this in normal gameplay. And by normal I mean PvE. To be honest, I couldn't care less about the implications of this in PvP. That's an entirely different area of this forum. The OP's proposal was for a 6-pip spell with outrageous damage and Stun to boot... far fewer pips than what's required to cast either Lord of Winter or Dr. Von. It's pretty easy to tell when an enemy is gearing up for big hits like either of these spells but to add another medium range attack to Storm's arsenal just makes it that much more difficult to prepare. What I'm saying is that Storm already has the potential of dealing massive damage in one hit and I don't think anything needs to be added to make them even more lethal.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
415
Need to break shields? Pierce. Shatter. Better yet, make a pet with may cast pierce and shatter.

Hero
Sep 07, 2011
761
Storm could use a DoT, but that's not it. The spell described in the opening post would be OP and almost indefensible.

A low pip shield breaker would be nice. I'd like to see Storm Elf be more available, a return of the 0-pip cat, or some other minor damage spell like that.

Storm is not overpowered as a school btw. yes, it has high damage, but that's about its only advantage.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
2225
Gemma Luna on Oct 23, 2015 wrote:
Storm could use a DoT, but that's not it. The spell described in the opening post would be OP and almost indefensible.

A low pip shield breaker would be nice. I'd like to see Storm Elf be more available, a return of the 0-pip cat, or some other minor damage spell like that.

Storm is not overpowered as a school btw. yes, it has high damage, but that's about its only advantage.
yeah but gear overcomes the deficiencies. They have the worst fizzle rate, till you get gear, the lowest HP till you get gear, etc. Storm, like other schools, LOSES it's deficiencies over time 9some lose more, some less). By the time you hit L100, there arent any. You can have an accuracy well above 100% and have tons of health 9and by that i mean you have plenty to last the long fights without needing too much healing)

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
1024
TucsonWizard on Oct 23, 2015 wrote:
Even though I mentioned bosses in my comment this isn't all about bosses, it's about Storm in general and the damage it already deals. Even facing Storm mobs in street battles can be challenging and to face them with a DoT would be even more so. You introduced PvP into this discussion when it's uncertain whether the OP had either aspect of the game specifically in mind. My response was meant to point out the implications of this in normal gameplay. And by normal I mean PvE. To be honest, I couldn't care less about the implications of this in PvP. That's an entirely different area of this forum. The OP's proposal was for a 6-pip spell with outrageous damage and Stun to boot... far fewer pips than what's required to cast either Lord of Winter or Dr. Von. It's pretty easy to tell when an enemy is gearing up for big hits like either of these spells but to add another medium range attack to Storm's arsenal just makes it that much more difficult to prepare. What I'm saying is that Storm already has the potential of dealing massive damage in one hit and I don't think anything needs to be added to make them even more lethal.
I agree that the OP's spell is overpowered. That being said the responses I have been reading here are opposed to a Storm DoT in general. I would prefer a low pip mutate DoT(such as mutate storm elf) which would have no notable effect on PvE or a mid pip front loaded DoT that would similarly have very little negative impact to PvE.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
1024
Mr Talon on Oct 23, 2015 wrote:
Need to break shields? Pierce. Shatter. Better yet, make a pet with may cast pierce and shatter.
Pierce affects fire shields before storm shields in every shield combination and shatter is pip and tempo inefficient in the current meta.

Defender
Feb 08, 2009
149
No support.

If you look around the spiral storm school is the most common. I don't think they need a dot. By the way if storm got a dot, what would fire have? High damage dots are fire's thing.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
1024
dayerider on Oct 23, 2015 wrote:
yeah but gear overcomes the deficiencies. They have the worst fizzle rate, till you get gear, the lowest HP till you get gear, etc. Storm, like other schools, LOSES it's deficiencies over time 9some lose more, some less). By the time you hit L100, there arent any. You can have an accuracy well above 100% and have tons of health 9and by that i mean you have plenty to last the long fights without needing too much healing)
Im not sure how familiar you are with the 1v1 PvP scene but "tons and tons" of health is simply false.

www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?445525-Health-Buffer-and-it-s-impact

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
1024
Cass MoonHeart on Oct 24, 2015 wrote:
No support.

If you look around the spiral storm school is the most common. I don't think they need a dot. By the way if storm got a dot, what would fire have? High damage dots are fire's thing.
Yet for the most common school in the spiral(supposedly) it has the least presence of any school by a wide marginon the leaderboards. That's a huge discrepancy due to many different factors but gaining a DoT would at least help to address one of them.

That being said simply because DoT's are fire's thing does not mean Storm can't have one. Storm specializes in large damage single hits yet fire gained FFA.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
2225
Eric Stormbringer on Oct 25, 2015 wrote:
Yet for the most common school in the spiral(supposedly) it has the least presence of any school by a wide marginon the leaderboards. That's a huge discrepancy due to many different factors but gaining a DoT would at least help to address one of them.

That being said simply because DoT's are fire's thing does not mean Storm can't have one. Storm specializes in large damage single hits yet fire gained FFA.
just because storm is known as the massive damage school doesnt meant storm is the only one to get those spells. You're going along with storm getting something fire has, yet complaining fire has something storm has. So, make up your mind, do you want to allow schools to utilize spell types from other schools, or not? You can't argue both in the same breath

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
1024
dayerider on Oct 26, 2015 wrote:
just because storm is known as the massive damage school doesnt meant storm is the only one to get those spells. You're going along with storm getting something fire has, yet complaining fire has something storm has. So, make up your mind, do you want to allow schools to utilize spell types from other schools, or not? You can't argue both in the same breath
I am not arguing against the concept of other school's gaining some facet of another school's specialty. My whole point with FFA was to point out that it has already happened and as such is no excuse for continuing to withhold a DoT from Storm.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
2225
Eric Stormbringer on Oct 25, 2015 wrote:
Im not sure how familiar you are with the 1v1 PvP scene but "tons and tons" of health is simply false.

www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?445525-Health-Buffer-and-it-s-impact
I dont PvP at all, and quite frankly, detest its existence in this game. My stance on this is well known. If they got rid of PvP, I feel the game would be BETTER. That being said, I know people enjoy PvP, and good, I'm glad they do, but I dont

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
2225
Eric Stormbringer on Oct 27, 2015 wrote:
I am not arguing against the concept of other school's gaining some facet of another school's specialty. My whole point with FFA was to point out that it has already happened and as such is no excuse for continuing to withhold a DoT from Storm.
yes, and it's been happening long before that. Efreet with Bad Juju and Sirens with Smokescreen are just 2 spells that I personally have mentioned before.

Here's the real problem I have with this whole thread. im not against storm getting a Dot spell, but there is a clear desire on this forum, to raise storm above every other school. There have been countless threads for storm to get one thing or another, to nerf one spell or another, and it's considered fair, but god forbid somebody wants to make another school better, everybody jumps down their throats. Let's take a look at some topics that are common and have been shot down for fear of making them too strong:

Life getting a second AoE spell:
Nope, would make them too strong, that's storm's job
They'd be too OP then
Then other schools need a heal all spell

Death getting a second school taught AoE spell:
You have a crafted/dropped spell (deer knight), so that's fine, you dont need another
Scarecrow is fine, you dont need another (even if it doesnt life sap)

Ice getting a healing spell
If Ice got a healing spell, then what's the point of life?
Ice has a healing spell already (which I know it doesnt)
learn satyr
everybody gets pixie

Myth getting a healing spell:
Myth already has a healing spell, they dont deserve one that has nothing to do with minions
If myth got a healing spell, then what's the point of life?
learn satyr
everybody gets pixie

They get utterly crushed in the comments, but then when people want Catch of the Day's damage increased, there's pages upon pages upon pages of people begging for it to happen. This tells me that storm people dont care about continuity of the game unless it benefits them. When Fire Elf got a slight upgrade, storm users came out en force to try to get it changed. I'm sorry to say this, but storm school has become too entitled. I dont hate ANY school, nor do I hate the people who play them, but here's a spade, I'm calling it that