Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Storm Dot Spell

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
dayerider on Oct 27, 2015 wrote:
yes, and it's been happening long before that. Efreet with Bad Juju and Sirens with Smokescreen are just 2 spells that I personally have mentioned before.

Here's the real problem I have with this whole thread. im not against storm getting a Dot spell, but there is a clear desire on this forum, to raise storm above every other school. There have been countless threads for storm to get one thing or another, to nerf one spell or another, and it's considered fair, but god forbid somebody wants to make another school better, everybody jumps down their throats. Let's take a look at some topics that are common and have been shot down for fear of making them too strong:

Life getting a second AoE spell:
Nope, would make them too strong, that's storm's job
They'd be too OP then
Then other schools need a heal all spell

Death getting a second school taught AoE spell:
You have a crafted/dropped spell (deer knight), so that's fine, you dont need another
Scarecrow is fine, you dont need another (even if it doesnt life sap)

Ice getting a healing spell
If Ice got a healing spell, then what's the point of life?
Ice has a healing spell already (which I know it doesnt)
learn satyr
everybody gets pixie

Myth getting a healing spell:
Myth already has a healing spell, they dont deserve one that has nothing to do with minions
If myth got a healing spell, then what's the point of life?
learn satyr
everybody gets pixie

They get utterly crushed in the comments, but then when people want Catch of the Day's damage increased, there's pages upon pages upon pages of people begging for it to happen. This tells me that storm people dont care about continuity of the game unless it benefits them. When Fire Elf got a slight upgrade, storm users came out en force to try to get it changed. I'm sorry to say this, but storm school has become too entitled. I dont hate ANY school, nor do I hate the people who play them, but here's a spade, I'm calling it that
Very well stated! Every example you point out is legit. There are arguments ad nauseam for the inclusion of every conceivable advantage for Storm... what's fair and what's not fair... they have this so we should too... the new Storm spell should be more powerful. I've even seen arguments that someone obviously laid out on a spread sheet to point out how spell-A should be more powerful because the earlier spell-B dealt x amount of damage per pip and blah blah blah until I just want to scream. And then come the PvP people. Although I won't go so far as to say I detest it's existence I view it as I do Pet Derby. I don't care that it's there. I can appreciate that there are people who love it but to base a new spells usefulness or deficiencies on how it works in PvP is ludicrous in my opinion. That's an apples and oranges issue for another area of the forum.
Can I borrow your spade when you're done with it?

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
yes, and it's been happening long before that. Efreet with Bad Juju and Sirens with Smokescreen are just 2 spells that I personally have mentioned before.

Here's the real problem I have with this whole thread. im not against storm getting a Dot spell, but there is a clear desire on this forum, to raise storm above every other school. There have been countless threads for storm to get one thing or another, to nerf one spell or another, and it's considered fair, but god forbid somebody wants to make another school better, everybody jumps down their throats. Let's take a look at some topics that are common and have been shot down for fear of making them too strong:

They'd be too OP then

You have a crafted/dropped spell (deer knight), so that's fine, you dont need another

learn satyr
everybody gets pixie

Myth already has a healing spell, they dont deserve one that has nothing to do with minions
learn satyr
everybody gets pixie

They get utterly crushed in the comments, but then when people want Catch of the Day's damage increased, there's pages upon pages upon pages of people begging for it to happen. This tells me that storm people dont care about continuity of the game unless it benefits them. When Fire Elf got a slight upgrade, storm users came out en force to try to get it changed. I'm sorry to say this, but storm school has become too entitled. I dont hate ANY school, nor do I hate the people who play them, but here's a spade, I'm calling it that
Well then you'll be happy to hear of at least 1 storm player(yours truly) who

-Supports Life getting an AoE
Buff CoD and Sacred

Eric Stormbringer-"Life is really in need of a low pip AoE attack. Simply lower the damage to 300 and change the spell into an AoE and life would have a 5 pip AoE that deals decent damage and has a semi-decent effect. As it currently is Sacred Charge is simply a much weaker version of hungry caterpillar that does not require a shadow pip to cast."

-Supports an Ice Heal
Ice Getting a Healing Spell

Eric Stormbringer-" I have no problem with Ice having a heal or with schools being given the tools needed to compete. It is the lack of major tools(such as Storm not having a trained DoT) that causes vast power differences in PvP. Giving schools one or 2 cross spells does not eliminate their differences... As long as those attributes that are shared are different and characteristic of the school(healing current having a "wild bolt-esque" element) then I think that it is fine to add different characteristics. In other words-school's should not be defined by their lack of tools but rather by the nature and uses of said tools."

Similarly I have no problem with Myth acquiring a heal or Death having more AoEs(not sure who had a problem with this tbh).

If you're not against Storm having a DoT spell thats good-i'm not either.

Delver
Dec 04, 2013

They'd be too OP then

learn satyr
everybody gets pixie

learn satyr
everybody gets pixie

If these message boards had LIKE and DISLIKE buttons, I'd make a thousand accounts and put a thousand dollars in them just to hit the LIKE button on this post. No joke, I would. Dayrider, I feel like you are making an extremely excellent point here.

Death DOMINATES!!!

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
TucsonWizard on Oct 28, 2015 wrote:
Very well stated! Every example you point out is legit. There are arguments ad nauseam for the inclusion of every conceivable advantage for Storm... what's fair and what's not fair... they have this so we should too... the new Storm spell should be more powerful. I've even seen arguments that someone obviously laid out on a spread sheet to point out how spell-A should be more powerful because the earlier spell-B dealt x amount of damage per pip and blah blah blah until I just want to scream. And then come the PvP people. Although I won't go so far as to say I detest it's existence I view it as I do Pet Derby. I don't care that it's there. I can appreciate that there are people who love it but to base a new spells usefulness or deficiencies on how it works in PvP is ludicrous in my opinion. That's an apples and oranges issue for another area of the forum.
lol we can share :) I dont need it all the time

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Eric Stormbringer on Oct 28, 2015 wrote:
Well then you'll be happy to hear of at least 1 storm player(yours truly) who

-Supports Life getting an AoE
Buff CoD and Sacred

Eric Stormbringer-"Life is really in need of a low pip AoE attack. Simply lower the damage to 300 and change the spell into an AoE and life would have a 5 pip AoE that deals decent damage and has a semi-decent effect. As it currently is Sacred Charge is simply a much weaker version of hungry caterpillar that does not require a shadow pip to cast."

-Supports an Ice Heal
Ice Getting a Healing Spell

Eric Stormbringer-" I have no problem with Ice having a heal or with schools being given the tools needed to compete. It is the lack of major tools(such as Storm not having a trained DoT) that causes vast power differences in PvP. Giving schools one or 2 cross spells does not eliminate their differences... As long as those attributes that are shared are different and characteristic of the school(healing current having a "wild bolt-esque" element) then I think that it is fine to add different characteristics. In other words-school's should not be defined by their lack of tools but rather by the nature and uses of said tools."

Similarly I have no problem with Myth acquiring a heal or Death having more AoEs(not sure who had a problem with this tbh).

If you're not against Storm having a DoT spell thats good-i'm not either.
nice to see the VOCAL minority represented here

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
TucsonWizard on Oct 28, 2015 wrote:
To base a spell's effectiveness on how it works in PvP considering that many spells only have a real use in PvP and are even seen in play in PvP. Yes you will see spreadsheets and charts because when something doesn't fit mathematically the players who care will point it out. Sorry if you don't care about PvP. I care about it very deeply particularly since giving storm a well balanced DoT is a PvP not PvE issue.

Explorer
Nov 17, 2013
It would be way too overpowered, even if it does only 50 damage and then a dot damage.

Storm nowadays have 100%+ damage and over 50% pierce. They can even use an enchant to buff the spell.
No, thank you! Storm does not need a dot spell.
I'm an ice, with over 68 resist and I still have a hard time fighting Storms.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Eric Stormbringer on Oct 29, 2015 wrote:
To base a spell's effectiveness on how it works in PvP considering that many spells only have a real use in PvP and are even seen in play in PvP. Yes you will see spreadsheets and charts because when something doesn't fit mathematically the players who care will point it out. Sorry if you don't care about PvP. I care about it very deeply particularly since giving storm a well balanced DoT is a PvP not PvE issue.
Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. And it really isn't about whether I care about PvP so much as it's about this... Just because something comes later, why does it have to be more powerful than what came before it? Power is subjective. A well-timed, buffed Imp can be much more effective than a mis-timed Forest Lord under the right conditions. The same is true for different spells in all of the schools. Many times it's all about how and when they're used.
That being said, this thread is about a Storm DoT and I really don't have a problem with them having one as long as it's not too powerful. To introduce something like the OP suggested would be devastating in both PvE and PvP and would make Storm virtually impossible to defend against. And contrary to what you perceive, even a well balanced Storm DoT is going to be an issue for both PvP and PvE. But there's nothing wrong with a spell providing a challenge. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a challenge, and a well balanced DoT would still be a challenge but it wouldn't be insurmountable. A spell with stats like the OP suggested would.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
By the way... I find it hilarious that the original poster is no where to be found in the rest of the thread he originated!

Survivor
Sep 26, 2013
I have no qualms about storm getting a d.o.t., but it should not be of game-breaking strength as the thread author suggested. It should actually be weaker than the fire d.o.t.s in my opinion. Storm is the king of direct damage, but fire reigns supreme in d.o.t.s, and it needs to stay that way.

Delver
Mar 31, 2015
To be honest, Storm doesn't really need a DOT at the moment, although I certainly wouldn't mind one, LOL. The spell suggestion initially posted here is ridiculously overpowered, though.

What Storm can really use is a DOT REMOVAL type spell like Triage (or Shift), so that it can last long enough to take those shields down vs a or , for example, who have some pretty killer DOTs. (Or with their Spinysaur, or with their Skeletal Dragon).

Something like this:

Whirlpool: Shift All Overtime Effects from Target or Detonate All to Self (2 Pips).

Or:

Triage All DOTs from Self, but leave a +40% trap on Self or a -50 to 90% weakness to next (or maybe universal) hit, sort of like Rusalka's wrath. Or Stun self.

I personally would prefer a defensive, more reliable Triage to an offensive, 'roll the dice' Triage, although I concede that the latter is more in tune with the Character of Storm. (Insane Bolt, Healing Current, etc).

Also, every school should get a self-hit spell, not just and .

P.S. I agree that needs a better AOE. And I don't really even mind getting a native heal, but it can't be too good. It should require at least 5 pips, or a pip.

Fire and Ice do not really need a native heal at the moment ( since FFA is pretty OP); and 6500 Health, along with Weaver, can be pretty hard to take down (PVP-wise) for the schools that aren't or .
Since any Ice or Fire (and Myth) worth his salt has Mastery anyway, I don't really support that. If you must, give one, but not .

Adrian
Level 100 , 59 , Master .
Promethean Crafter
Rank 11 Gardener

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
TucsonWizard on Oct 29, 2015 wrote:
Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. And it really isn't about whether I care about PvP so much as it's about this... Just because something comes later, why does it have to be more powerful than what came before it? Power is subjective. A well-timed, buffed Imp can be much more effective than a mis-timed Forest Lord under the right conditions. The same is true for different spells in all of the schools. Many times it's all about how and when they're used.
That being said, this thread is about a Storm DoT and I really don't have a problem with them having one as long as it's not too powerful. To introduce something like the OP suggested would be devastating in both PvE and PvP and would make Storm virtually impossible to defend against. And contrary to what you perceive, even a well balanced Storm DoT is going to be an issue for both PvP and PvE. But there's nothing wrong with a spell providing a challenge. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a challenge, and a well balanced DoT would still be a challenge but it wouldn't be insurmountable. A spell with stats like the OP suggested would.
(quote) Just because something comes later, why does it have to be more powerful than what came before it? (end quote)

I've been saying this for a LONG time, and am usually beat down by people saying that it HAS to be stronger

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
dayerider on Oct 28, 2015 wrote:
nice to see the VOCAL minority represented here
This entire forum is the vocal minority and you can bet your bottom dollar I will do my best to represent my views.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
eSnowFrost on Oct 29, 2015 wrote:
It would be way too overpowered, even if it does only 50 damage and then a dot damage.

Storm nowadays have 100%+ damage and over 50% pierce. They can even use an enchant to buff the spell.
No, thank you! Storm does not need a dot spell.
I'm an ice, with over 68 resist and I still have a hard time fighting Storms.
Ice nowadays have 90%+ damage, 6500+ health. Clearly this means they should not have a heal? Of course not. A weak DoT does not overpower storm-it is currently a low tier 1v1 school with by fr the least representation on the leaderboards overall. A DOT does make it a better PvP schoool(that is why we are requesting it) however it turns it from low tier-competitive not overpowered.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
TucsonWizard on Oct 29, 2015 wrote:
I agree that the OP's spell is overpowered as originally posed. That being said I also recognize the need for a Storm DoT. My ideal Storm DoT would be a storm elf mutate or a mid-pip front-loaded DoT spell.

Survivor
Mar 31, 2009
Eric Stormbringer on Oct 30, 2015 wrote:
I agree that the OP's spell is overpowered as originally posed. That being said I also recognize the need for a Storm DoT. My ideal Storm DoT would be a storm elf mutate or a mid-pip front-loaded DoT spell.
can you actually give a spell that is a storm dot and it wouldn't be op...... btw if anyone needs a dot its balance i feel like they're good at the support and healing but ever since glowbug and stuff balance can no longer do any damage....... stop whinning about judgement! storm already has the utensils to make damage, why give them more chance just so that the storm pvpers can feel even more powerful.... pvp people always think there the best! guess what! storm already own the pvp floor! balance can only win in 4v4... death can't win if there is a fire or a storm on the board on the opposite team. myth just can't win without a storm or a fire on there side. life cannot solo pve or pvp. ice tank is now just some melted sludge! storm shouldn't be getting more pvp stuff others should! what about for next spells we get something like for balance -90% damage to all with -90% accuracy to self. storm should get another 1000 damage or 100000000 damage to self + 1 balance blade to team

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Eric Stormbringer on Oct 30, 2015 wrote:
This entire forum is the vocal minority and you can bet your bottom dollar I will do my best to represent my views.
yes Eric, but you're even MORE in the minority with your opinions on the topics we touched on.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
yoshi93024 on Oct 31, 2015 wrote:
can you actually give a spell that is a storm dot and it wouldn't be op...... btw if anyone needs a dot its balance i feel like they're good at the support and healing but ever since glowbug and stuff balance can no longer do any damage....... stop whinning about judgement! storm already has the utensils to make damage, why give them more chance just so that the storm pvpers can feel even more powerful.... pvp people always think there the best! guess what! storm already own the pvp floor! balance can only win in 4v4... death can't win if there is a fire or a storm on the board on the opposite team. myth just can't win without a storm or a fire on there side. life cannot solo pve or pvp. ice tank is now just some melted sludge! storm shouldn't be getting more pvp stuff others should! what about for next spells we get something like for balance -90% damage to all with -90% accuracy to self. storm should get another 1000 damage or 100000000 damage to self + 1 balance blade to team
What in the world are you talking about? Storm is a low tier school in PvP at almost every level range. In terms of max lvl 1v1 PvP: Balance is a top tier school at the moment along with fire and life. Ice is a solid mid tier school. Myth is indeed a low tier school along with storm but Witch's Housecall will push Myth to mid tier if it comes to live in it's current incarnation. Life cannot solo PvE? Life and Death have the easiest time soloing PvE and the only recorded solo of Castle Darkmoor's Graveyard has been achieved by a Life wizard. Your statements are completely at odds with the reality of the game as it currently is.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
dayerider on Oct 31, 2015 wrote:
yes Eric, but you're even MORE in the minority with your opinions on the topics we touched on.
That's fine with me lol; I am not here to win any popularity contests, I am here to express my views and support them with sound reasoning, solid data and a firm understanding of the game's mechanics.

Explorer
Dec 29, 2008
ChicoValerian on Oct 21, 2015 wrote:
Use storm elf.
Storm elf isn't a real spell that you can learn silly. We should get one that we CAN LEARN.

Explorer
Dec 29, 2008
Okay so storm may not get a DoT spell, but what if the DoT was only one person instead of all round? Life storm elf only effects one person. Or even the DoT can't be enchanted? That would balance that out if storm DoT's are not able to be enchanted.

Explorer
Dec 29, 2008
Other schools have Damage over times too...

, , , ,

It should mean that in the future that storm should get a damage over time that does the TOTAK AMOUNT said.

1 pip, 8 pips. (accuracy is your accuracy on your character)

1200 Total amount over 3 Rounds

So that means 400 every one round.

Plus there could be more spells to counter the attack, but I really mean that if storm got a DoT it wouldn't be as good as fire even, just balanced out so that it isn't as powerful as fire's DoT's.

Even if the accuracy would be what you have on.. Or even possibly the spell doesn't use the accuracy then what? Not balanced? It would take a hell (Excuse Language, trying to make a point), of a long time to make the DoT work and its balanced? But storm should get at least one DoT, Just not more than one, and not as powerful as it seams it will be, just balance it out...

Eric I understand completely what you say, expressing your opinions. No one on here should take this idea seriously. Its just an idea, could be an idea for Wizard101 or it could not.

Explorer
Dec 29, 2008
Exabytes on Oct 29, 2015 wrote:
To be honest, Storm doesn't really need a DOT at the moment, although I certainly wouldn't mind one, LOL. The spell suggestion initially posted here is ridiculously overpowered, though.

What Storm can really use is a DOT REMOVAL type spell like Triage (or Shift), so that it can last long enough to take those shields down vs a or , for example, who have some pretty killer DOTs. (Or with their Spinysaur, or with their Skeletal Dragon).

Something like this:

Whirlpool: Shift All Overtime Effects from Target or Detonate All to Self (2 Pips).

Or:

Triage All DOTs from Self, but leave a +40% trap on Self or a -50 to 90% weakness to next (or maybe universal) hit, sort of like Rusalka's wrath. Or Stun self.

I personally would prefer a defensive, more reliable Triage to an offensive, 'roll the dice' Triage, although I concede that the latter is more in tune with the Character of Storm. (Insane Bolt, Healing Current, etc).

Also, every school should get a self-hit spell, not just and .

P.S. I agree that needs a better AOE. And I don't really even mind getting a native heal, but it can't be too good. It should require at least 5 pips, or a pip.

Fire and Ice do not really need a native heal at the moment ( since FFA is pretty OP); and 6500 Health, along with Weaver, can be pretty hard to take down (PVP-wise) for the schools that aren't or .
Since any Ice or Fire (and Myth) worth his salt has Mastery anyway, I don't really support that. If you must, give one, but not .

Adrian
Level 100 , 59 , Master .
Promethean Crafter
Rank 11 Gardener
I agree on that point, but it doesn't need that much damage... It is an idea, its not intentionally there on purpose. DoT's for storm could be a lot different than any other DoT. We just need to make it feel like your not in another school. Even if storm had a DoT spell, it would be adjusted to the point where it feels natural. Like I know my idea may have been overboard. But what if the DoT was a small amount then bigger, but then that would be like snow angel. But I think instead of that even it should do a total of the amount given. But even other things would make it feel like its worth it. Everyone has an opinion, no one should take this seriously. Its an idea that could make it in the game, or we can work something out that makes it a DoT or something that is completely different but still a DoT. But I do admit that this was a bad suggestion at the start.

Explorer
Dec 29, 2008
The storm DoT will be like the spell that does damage on usage then on three rounds does damage. That would balance things out.

Hades' attack is similar.

Survivor
Oct 21, 2012
Epic Mrman67 on Oct 15, 2015 wrote:
Storm need a dot spell so here is what I came up with.

Professor Bale

1 pip and 6 pips
Accuracy 70%

1,125 Storm Damage to all enemies and 525 damage over 3 rounds plus stun.

Good?
i think it is crazy because storm is all ready crazy with one hit kills and no other spell does about 2000 damage and also sun will enchant it and make it even stronger it is to over powered