Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Revered Wand<Crown Wands

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 20, 2009
Hello everyone. I'd like to calmly but thoroughly explain why I'm very upset with the game.
I've had membership for quite some time now, and I've worked very hard on getting the max level of crafting. What I despise most about this game is how revered wands are much worse than crown wands.

Think about it. I've spent over 30+ HOURS trying to craft the hardest item in the game which is the revered wand. It was a very long and repetitive task that took so much time out of my day(s) playing this game. You just need to simply pay money in order to get a much more advanced and OP wand instead of grinding and working hard for what you want. In my opinion, this is a horrible move because what's the point in hard work if you can just buy your way through the game.

The revered wand should be improved because of it requiring PvP skills in order to craft it.

So please, for the love of everything good, buff the revered wands.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
fefoe44 on Jan 28, 2018 wrote:
Hello everyone. I'd like to calmly but thoroughly explain why I'm very upset with the game.
I've had membership for quite some time now, and I've worked very hard on getting the max level of crafting. What I despise most about this game is how revered wands are much worse than crown wands.

Think about it. I've spent over 30+ HOURS trying to craft the hardest item in the game which is the revered wand. It was a very long and repetitive task that took so much time out of my day(s) playing this game. You just need to simply pay money in order to get a much more advanced and OP wand instead of grinding and working hard for what you want. In my opinion, this is a horrible move because what's the point in hard work if you can just buy your way through the game.

The revered wand should be improved because of it requiring PvP skills in order to craft it.

While I agree that the best crafted items in game should be the best items in game, Crown shop items will always be a "quick" alternative to game items. Look at the potions for example.

The real problem will be if there are no better equipment options than what is offered in the Crown shop (that is considered Pay to Win).

Since one of the fan sites showed that levels 100+ there was an even split between Crown wands and the Revered/Legendary wands for use in PvP, it appears that KI achieved the balance.

Take solace in the fact you achieved your stats with hard work and most importantly.....did it for free/minimum real world money.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
fefoe44 on Jan 28, 2018 wrote:

While I do agree that crafting stuff should be just as good as anything else- especially the wands in question! I do also thank the people who buy stuff in the crown shop for keeping the game running. Even the ones who foolishly purchase packs and things. I do NOT think that these ultra good wands should be locked in packs and there should be an alternative method or two to everything in the packs.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
I can sense your frustration, and share it to some extent. Crafting them is time consuming.

I'm still in the process of crafting this wand on two different wizards and at the moment, I've actually found the flying squid ink to be the biggest pain - just because it drops so rarely and yet so much is needed. I'm so sick and tired of farming Gannon, I can't even. (And he's not even dropping Cabalist gear, so WHY?!?!)

As for the fishing, that turned out to be more fun than I expected. I just went fishing for code wands in Zafaria and got the scales while trying for the Fog Staff that I've always wanted. Didn't get it, but got the Goldenbeak instead, and it's lovely.

Then there's the trophies....

Like you, I was very frustrated and angry about this reagent. Someone told me that it drops as occasional rewards on chest days of the Daily Assignment ... but after months of doing the Dailies on multiple wizards, I'm calling a foul on that. Nope. It's not happening. The only other option is the Tournaments for PVP, so I bit the bullet a couple of weeks ago.

You've complained that the wands are so difficult to craft and meanwhile, there are better wands that we can buy for Crowns.

Better wands for dungeons, yes. Better wands for daily activities like fishing, gardening and daily rewards? These Revered wands seem to be designed for that. They are utility wands, meant to be used "every day" so to speak, like a kitchen knife vs a sword. For questing, dungeons and PVP, yes, there are much better wands but for the daily activities grind, I think that's what these Revered wands are intended for.

Alia Misthaven

Explorer
Jan 02, 2011
Hi there!

I know that it sucks to work so hard, but the outcome is somewhat disappointing when you look at the overall picture!

However, crown wands do take some time to get if you really think about it. Crowns cost money, and where does your money come from? WORKING! I know it's not the same type of work, however it is still work.

It's either work in game or out of game. Hope this gives you more of an insight!
Jack Legend

Survivor
Dec 20, 2009
Freshta on Jan 28, 2018 wrote:
I can sense your frustration, and share it to some extent. Crafting them is time consuming.

I'm still in the process of crafting this wand on two different wizards and at the moment, I've actually found the flying squid ink to be the biggest pain - just because it drops so rarely and yet so much is needed. I'm so sick and tired of farming Gannon, I can't even. (And he's not even dropping Cabalist gear, so WHY?!?!)

As for the fishing, that turned out to be more fun than I expected. I just went fishing for code wands in Zafaria and got the scales while trying for the Fog Staff that I've always wanted. Didn't get it, but got the Goldenbeak instead, and it's lovely.

Then there's the trophies....

Like you, I was very frustrated and angry about this reagent. Someone told me that it drops as occasional rewards on chest days of the Daily Assignment ... but after months of doing the Dailies on multiple wizards, I'm calling a foul on that. Nope. It's not happening. The only other option is the Tournaments for PVP, so I bit the bullet a couple of weeks ago.

You've complained that the wands are so difficult to craft and meanwhile, there are better wands that we can buy for Crowns.

Better wands for dungeons, yes. Better wands for daily activities like fishing, gardening and daily rewards? These Revered wands seem to be designed for that. They are utility wands, meant to be used "every day" so to speak, like a kitchen knife vs a sword. For questing, dungeons and PVP, yes, there are much better wands but for the daily activities grind, I think that's what these Revered wands are intended for.

Alia Misthaven
I concur with your reasoning on calling the revered wands "utility wands" and how they are used everyday. In PvP, they are utterly useless. Think about it, you grind so hard in PvP trying to get arena tickets and attempting to enroll in tourneys. The wand requires 4000 arena tickets! Therefore, it should at least meet the standard of being comparable to other crown PvP wands. In my humble opinion, the Revered wands are rubbish when it comes to PvP and that simply needs to change.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
fefoe44 on Feb 2, 2018 wrote:
I concur with your reasoning on calling the revered wands "utility wands" and how they are used everyday. In PvP, they are utterly useless. Think about it, you grind so hard in PvP trying to get arena tickets and attempting to enroll in tourneys. The wand requires 4000 arena tickets! Therefore, it should at least meet the standard of being comparable to other crown PvP wands. In my humble opinion, the Revered wands are rubbish when it comes to PvP and that simply needs to change.
I do agree with you.

Requiring PVP to make a wand that is useless in PVP is ... odd. The people who are most set to make this wand from a PVP stance, won't want it; and the people who are most inclined to like and use this wand, don't want to have anything to do with PVP!

Probably KI hoped this requirement would bring new blood into the arena, but crafters are not typically oriented towards PVP. We had long and somewhat heated threads about this during test realm, but the threads were removed when Empyrea went live. Originally, it required 5000 arena tickets, to somehow be earned by newbies who had ZERO experience in the arena. Even hardcore PVPers recognized this was just not a logical direction for crafting. After all the discussion, KI reduced the number of arena tickets a little and made crafting this wand optional in terms of moving on in crafting ranks.

Alia Misthaven

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Freshta on Feb 3, 2018 wrote:
I do agree with you.

Requiring PVP to make a wand that is useless in PVP is ... odd. The people who are most set to make this wand from a PVP stance, won't want it; and the people who are most inclined to like and use this wand, don't want to have anything to do with PVP!

Probably KI hoped this requirement would bring new blood into the arena, but crafters are not typically oriented towards PVP. We had long and somewhat heated threads about this during test realm, but the threads were removed when Empyrea went live. Originally, it required 5000 arena tickets, to somehow be earned by newbies who had ZERO experience in the arena. Even hardcore PVPers recognized this was just not a logical direction for crafting. After all the discussion, KI reduced the number of arena tickets a little and made crafting this wand optional in terms of moving on in crafting ranks.

Alia Misthaven
The wand wasn't created for PvP. I would argue it isn't really for utility/energy either, given there is better wands for that (but as discussed, it does provide an alternative to Crowns wands).

It is actually a status symbol for those players that have accomplished great feats in most of KI's side systems. It was designed as a reward for participating in multiple facets of Wizard101...not just one. Instead of just a badge to depict this, they chose to do it through a wand. It demonstrates player success beyond simply crafting.

Also, the revered wand was always designed as optional and was never necessary for moving on to the next crafting rank. Only Visionary crafting is required. This was not changed in test realm and has always intended to work like that. (I initially thought it was required too, but it wasn't)

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/messageBoard/listPosts/game/8ad6a42b5f0a9599015f3bc4b7c7577b/8ad6a42b5f529a50015f601394843c1c#8ad6a42b5f529a50015f601394843c1c

Finally, "the best PvP wand" will always be subjective. Some players prefer critical, block, pierce, etc. Unless a wand is capped on all stats, someone will be unhappy (and I doubt KI will ever make a wand like that).

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
"Also, the revered wand was always designed as optional and was never necessary for moving on to the next crafting rank."

Actually, I participated in that linked thread. I also participated in test realm when the Revered crafting project was first introduced, as well as the many threads that ran on the Empyrea board during test realm and were later deleted by KingsIsle. At the time it was first introduced, Revered crafting was indeed required for crafting the Empyrean gear. The reason KI changed it (and deleted those threads) was because of the outcry during test realm. You're quoting from an altered history, so to speak.

(I kind of wish those threads were still here, honestly, because they prove that KI does listen to feedback from players. They are part of the game's history and, while a bit heated in places, did really help refine the Revered crafting project into what it is now.)

Your philosophy on the point of these wands being a sort of status symbol is interesting and one that I won't argue with. You have a point there - obviously crafting these requires deep participation in most side aspects of the game. These Revered wands are the only ones I know of that combine both energy and fishing luck with damage. As stated, I think they are intended to help with the daily activity that is required to even make them. The wands can be used to garden or pet train, catch the fish of the day, then complete the Daily Assignment - which often sends us off to battle mobs - all without switching wands.

Alia Misthaven