Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

REVAMP speech phrases.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 31, 2017
I understand this game has been around for YEARS and it was created in a time when people were most worried about trolls or parents were worried about having their kids hear offensive language, but it's now 2020 and while there's still those issues it's not nearly as bad.

-Omg: should be a text chat available phrase. It makes no sense why it's not.
-Period: Period turns red because of the POSSIBILITY it can be used to describe a menstraul cycle... even if it was used for saying "I'm on my period" that's not even bad, but nowaways period is just what people say at the end of sentences. You get a good drop? PERIOD!! just dumb stuff like that.

-And what's the reason text chat users can't see capitalization??

-And now the next problem of, many of us made these accounts a long time ago and didn't even put our right age. On my other account I am well over 18 years old and I still have text chat because of something I made when I was 12. The difference between text chat and open chat is such a tedious difference too.

Not only does this benefit player experience, but it could draw away new players. My sisters friend plays Wiz and she told her to make an account one day, she like oh cool this seems fun. She is a FIRST TIME player and the thing that drew her away is she couldn't type what she wanted to say to her friends. What's the reason we can't keyboard smash? "AKSJDKOPWSHJUIO" or any other variation of a keyboard smash as a a laugh isn't allowed. And that drew her away from even buying a membership.

This is a game on the internet and it's supposed to harbor a lot of the people who spend their time on the internet, yet this game forces us to talk like we're typing up an English paper to turn in, let us have more FREEDOM in our speech and instead of limiting what EVERYBODY can say, punish the ones who abuse it. I'm speaking for a lot of us here now.

Survivor
Mar 30, 2010
I totally agree. This is my only account since I don't have a need to have more than one, and it was made in 2010. During that time, I was younger and my parents made the account with me, so of course I have text chat on it. But now in 2020, it's been well over 10 years and realistically I should be able to have open chat, but I don't. There is no way to ever get it either, unless you registered the account with a certain age. Many of the restrictions placed on Text Chat players are unfair and many open chat players aren't even the right age to have it. Not to mention how many people say how text chat people are lame and stuff. It just gets on my nerves and the little things like capitalization, numbers, etc. really bothers me. Why do the people with open chat get so much freedom, while Text Chat don't, even though many of us Text Chatters are old enough for open chat but were too young when they made their account?

Survivor
Dec 26, 2010
Um... Trolls are just as bad now as they were in 2008, but I see your vision. You're right about the fact that a lot of us playing this game now aren't children anymore, but there are still children playing this game. I don't know, maybe I'm being overly anxious, but I can see this backfiring on KI.

I completely agree with some of the points you made, like the difference between text chat and open chat. In my opinion there really should be one, and we all know which is the superior one. Also, the "typing up an English paper" I feel like is the core of the problem when it comes to chatting in this game. It would be cool if they could implement an auto-correct system. I mean sometimes you're in a rush, so you misspell a word, and it comes up as ... and everyone's confused; auto-correct could be very useful here.

Survivor
Jul 31, 2017
Kintha on Jun 28, 2020 wrote:
Um... Trolls are just as bad now as they were in 2008, but I see your vision. You're right about the fact that a lot of us playing this game now aren't children anymore, but there are still children playing this game. I don't know, maybe I'm being overly anxious, but I can see this backfiring on KI.

I completely agree with some of the points you made, like the difference between text chat and open chat. In my opinion there really should be one, and we all know which is the superior one. Also, the "typing up an English paper" I feel like is the core of the problem when it comes to chatting in this game. It would be cool if they could implement an auto-correct system. I mean sometimes you're in a rush, so you misspell a word, and it comes up as ... and everyone's confused; auto-correct could be very useful here.
I understand but I completely think you're overreacting. Any true child on this game is going to have menu chat and parental restrictions, but if they're smart enough to turn that off and access text or even open chat, they're smart enough to be able to communicate with other players freely. Even if a child figures out how to disable their menu chat to have JUST text chat, they won't be able to see 90% of explicit material since it'll come up as ..., but besides that point; how much of what people have tried to censor you from as a child has actually mattered now? You found out one way or another and it didn't ruin your life, plus how explicit are you even getting on WIZARD101? Even open chat players are restricted to talking about anything real. It's an outdated system that needs updating.

Survivor
Dec 26, 2010
Vince12234 on Jul 5, 2020 wrote:
I understand but I completely think you're overreacting. Any true child on this game is going to have menu chat and parental restrictions, but if they're smart enough to turn that off and access text or even open chat, they're smart enough to be able to communicate with other players freely. Even if a child figures out how to disable their menu chat to have JUST text chat, they won't be able to see 90% of explicit material since it'll come up as ..., but besides that point; how much of what people have tried to censor you from as a child has actually mattered now? You found out one way or another and it didn't ruin your life, plus how explicit are you even getting on WIZARD101? Even open chat players are restricted to talking about anything real. It's an outdated system that needs updating.
I could be overreacting, but I also think I made some valid points. I'm not saying that children on W101 will learn new explicit things here, but trolls can encourage how they interact, its the same with adults. Now I'm not completely against your idea; I'm just trying to look at both sides of the coin. For example, 'PERIOD' can still be used as an insult, and I get that you and I might be able to use it maturely, but what about the immature folks out there. Again, I can see this backfiring, but that's just me playing devil's advocate.

P.S. Certain things are censored from children because they can absolutely cause harm later on.