Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Potential Member Benefits!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 11, 2013
4
One potential member benefit that would help not only me, but a majority of the loyal Wizard101 community would be the implementation of a weekend of free name changing. Whether it should be free has been a ponder in my head since i conjured this idea, however I do believe that Wizards that have had a membership or are planning to get one are devoted and hope to be able to change their name. I hope you take this Member Benefit into consideration. Thanks KI for creating one of my favorite games, now lets improve it just slightly!

-Benjamin Deathshard (Hope To One Day Be William Hawkflame)

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
1124
Hawkflame1386 on Jun 10, 2015 wrote:
One potential member benefit that would help not only me, but a majority of the loyal Wizard101 community would be the implementation of a weekend of free name changing. Whether it should be free has been a ponder in my head since i conjured this idea, however I do believe that Wizards that have had a membership or are planning to get one are devoted and hope to be able to change their name. I hope you take this Member Benefit into consideration. Thanks KI for creating one of my favorite games, now lets improve it just slightly!

-Benjamin Deathshard (Hope To One Day Be William Hawkflame)
Have you considered the havoc this would create with your Friend List? Please do not include me in the "majority" of the community you feel would benefit from this. Have you thought about maybe just creating William Hawkflame from scratch?

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4162
I'm against allowing renaming. There are just too many ways it could be abused. It's also already hard enough remembering who's who in the friends lists without people being about to change them.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
2230
Hawkflame1386 on Jun 10, 2015 wrote:
One potential member benefit that would help not only me, but a majority of the loyal Wizard101 community would be the implementation of a weekend of free name changing. Whether it should be free has been a ponder in my head since i conjured this idea, however I do believe that Wizards that have had a membership or are planning to get one are devoted and hope to be able to change their name. I hope you take this Member Benefit into consideration. Thanks KI for creating one of my favorite games, now lets improve it just slightly!

-Benjamin Deathshard (Hope To One Day Be William Hawkflame)
I will agree with others who say the renaming could be an issue, but I would like to see it happen (if there is a good way to implement it). I think people would rather see a username list rather than a wizard list. That being said, it COULD be a dangerous thing to do, listing usernames, which is most likely why it's not done

Survivor
Aug 11, 2013
4
TucsonWizard on Jun 10, 2015 wrote:
Have you considered the havoc this would create with your Friend List? Please do not include me in the "majority" of the community you feel would benefit from this. Have you thought about maybe just creating William Hawkflame from scratch?
I understand how much havoc it would create, and yes i have considered doing that. The only issue is that all the time and effort i have put in to this wizard is too much to recreate. That and i'm a huge housing guy so i have many castles that i can't transfer or even try to recreate.

Survivor
Aug 11, 2013
4
seethe42 on Jun 10, 2015 wrote:
I'm against allowing renaming. There are just too many ways it could be abused. It's also already hard enough remembering who's who in the friends lists without people being about to change them.
I understand the abuse, but KI could just let us use their filtered list of names again to rename. And all your true friends would tell you they changed their names. We could also have an emote saying we changed our name kind of like how they have emoticons next to their names on the U.K. server.

Survivor
Aug 11, 2013
4
dayerider on Jun 11, 2015 wrote:
I will agree with others who say the renaming could be an issue, but I would like to see it happen (if there is a good way to implement it). I think people would rather see a username list rather than a wizard list. That being said, it COULD be a dangerous thing to do, listing usernames, which is most likely why it's not done
Yah, as much as that would help KI wouldn't do that, everything is filtered which is one of the things i like about this game and KI in general. Lots of security, but that's besides the point. Name changing should be implemented.

Delver
Jul 17, 2009
207
i agree with name changing. i spent years getting to level 78, and do not want to start over. i started from the begining several times already to have other schools of wizards for pets. if you don't want to change your name, you wouldn't have too.
i vote that they give us the option.

Defender
Nov 19, 2009
159
Another Potential member benefit would be Half fishing energy cost. Spells that cost 6 energy would cost 3. Spells like summon fish would cost 5 as opposed to 10. I think this would be a wonderful member benefit.

Defender
Mar 13, 2014
107
This is a good lesson about responsibility. If you wanted your name to be Alice then you should have CHOSEN Alice from the start. I understand that some people change their minds about what name they want later on, but honestly, you just have to be careful about your choice. Also, Benjamin, you can't just easily keep telling ALL your good friends (some people have a lot, like dozens) over and over again that you changed your name. It is hard to have to adjust to your friends having a different name. I have a great friend named Taylor on wizard101. I just can't imagine having to call her something different every weekend. That would be really annoying and painful. I wouldn't know what to think of her as. Furthermore, I disagree with the username being what your name is because lots of people give out personal information in those and the usernames would be random (like Chocolate&Pie or Staycool) which wouldn't really be what you could call someone. I respect all your ideas though and maybe in the future something could work. Thanks for reading
- Gabrielle Silversword

Explorer
Jun 20, 2015
71
On one hand that would be a good chance for people to change their name and become a little bit happier, but on the other hand if everybody suddenly changes their name, I wouldn't be able to recognize people I saw before and my friend list will become a total mess.
I don't mean to be harsh , but if you don't care about choosing your name in the beginning, why would you care now? I picked my name really carefully and am really happy with it. Once again, sorry if I offended you

-Alexandria Dreamcatcher,

Defender
Nov 12, 2013
109
TucsonWizard on Jun 10, 2015 wrote:
Have you considered the havoc this would create with your Friend List? Please do not include me in the "majority" of the community you feel would benefit from this. Have you thought about maybe just creating William Hawkflame from scratch?
Tell me Tuscon, would you delete your first and best wizard and recreate it from scratch just to change its name? And don't say no because its name is perfect, this a hypothetical scenario. No sane person would do this, all the time and money invested just thrown away, now that is true havoc.

This shouldn't be a weekend, only a one time thing to prevent strain on the system. People can change their name irl,
why not here as well?

Survivor
Feb 25, 2010
31
Hawkflame1386 on Jun 10, 2015 wrote:
One potential member benefit that would help not only me, but a majority of the loyal Wizard101 community would be the implementation of a weekend of free name changing. Whether it should be free has been a ponder in my head since i conjured this idea, however I do believe that Wizards that have had a membership or are planning to get one are devoted and hope to be able to change their name. I hope you take this Member Benefit into consideration. Thanks KI for creating one of my favorite games, now lets improve it just slightly!

-Benjamin Deathshard (Hope To One Day Be William Hawkflame)
I think this is a potentially good idea however i do think it would simply cause far too many problems. Personally i have no issue with any of my names however i do believe some people may.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
1124
Arcanexo on Jul 28, 2015 wrote:
Tell me Tuscon, would you delete your first and best wizard and recreate it from scratch just to change its name? And don't say no because its name is perfect, this a hypothetical scenario. No sane person would do this, all the time and money invested just thrown away, now that is true havoc.

This shouldn't be a weekend, only a one time thing to prevent strain on the system. People can change their name irl,
why not here as well?
No I wouldn't, and not because the name is perfect. And that gets to the point of my response... it's just a name. I don't pay a lot of attention to wizard's names because they mean nothing in terms of ability. That is pretty much my entire argument against this... it's a lot of hoops KI would have to jump through in order to facilitate an unnecessary and superficial change. Lizziebell echoes my feelings on this... take some time beforehand to consider what name you choose because it's a decision that's final.
The only way I could see something like this being implemented would be a system wherein the name-change would automatically be reflected on every friend-list on which it appears throughout the spiral. And even if that happened, it would need to be accompanied by explanatory text indicating that:
"this guy, who used to be "insert former name here", is now "insert new name here"... at least this week...next week he might want to change it again so be ready to be even more confused".
You are correct, people do change their names in real life... do a little research and see just how complicated and far reaching this can be, especially if you are an adult. Granted, it's more intricate than what would be involved in the game but the similarities are still there. It's not just a matter of cruising down to the court house and signing a document.
If there was a "notify all" button in the friends-list then this entire conversation would be moot.

Explorer
Apr 10, 2012
97
Arcanexo on Jul 28, 2015 wrote:
Tell me Tuscon, would you delete your first and best wizard and recreate it from scratch just to change its name? And don't say no because its name is perfect, this a hypothetical scenario. No sane person would do this, all the time and money invested just thrown away, now that is true havoc.

This shouldn't be a weekend, only a one time thing to prevent strain on the system. People can change their name irl,
why not here as well?
Actually I have recreated my main character. I had Erin Moondreamer for a long time and she is at level 83 or 84 I think. I wanted her name to be 'Erin' without the last name, because the last name I want for her is not able to be created on Wizard101. So does that make me insane? :)

A long time ago I had sent support an email asking if it was possible to have my name changed and was told no, I would have to create a new character. At the time I had Castles and stuff that I purchased as bundle sets and was not tradeable. I also wasn't able to replace them because several are retired. So I was stuck with the character with the last name of Moondreamer, that is until the recent update that allowed me to be able to trade houses which I am so very thankful for. It was a lot of work to do all the transferring and I have Erin at level 53 now. I am having fun going through it all again and getting refreshed on stuff that I had forgotten.

Would I want a name change option? I think it could be helpful. But having it free and easy to do at a drop of a hat? No. I think there should be a charge for it. It could be in crowns shop if they did something like that, because like the others have stated it would be abused and confusing for players with lots of friends.

Delver
Jul 17, 2009
207
I think it should cost crowns and should be doable. I think you have to have been a member for a year or a year membership to be able to do it, and so it's not abused, only once during that year of membership.