Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

No Gender Specific Gear/You Get To Choose Style

1
AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 03, 2009
2
I am writing this topic to speak about an issue that I feel very strongly about. I feel very strongly about how the female character models are subjected to wearing dresses and fancier wear and not able to wear more masculine armor. Now there is gear that is gender neutral and share the same model on both but I believe that it is not fair that the Guardian's outfits look different for both gender models. If I want to wear a more masculine armor with a cape and not wings and a cloak I should have every right to make that decision for my character. This is a problem in a lot of video games, the females always have to wear the feminine clothing or flimsy armor. The PvP armor Cloak of
Invincibility (I believe is the name) is the same way. It is not fair that the female models don't have the option to have it look like actual armor like the male's but we have to look pretty with wings and a cloak. I also have a problem with the Hallowe'en gear with the skeleton head and hat, why should that be only for males too? As a female who plays video games, I shouldn't have to conform to being feminine. I spent my money on this game and on those Guardian outfits and I cant have the option to wear masculine gear? I think this should be addressed. It is not fair to us. Please try and understand the frustration that I have. I don't want to have to make a male character to enjoy those outfits. You could always give the option before it is redeemed if the player wishes to have it
look like the model they prefer. I understand that the outfits are built to fit that character model but I am sure changes could be tweaked to fit the body.

Thank you for reading and understanding, do you agree and believe this should be changed? Gear has no gender!

Thanks,
A very strong girl who loves all gear types--not just feminine!
Lenora Dusk (Death Wizard)

Explorer
Feb 10, 2012
71
I 100% agree with this!

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
613
I concur. Others have also made the same request of the colour options in the dye shop. That's another request I agree with. I have 2 accounts with male and female characters on both. They travel in pairs. Sometimes I like to have their colour selections match, but you can't always do it depending on your colour choice. I mean even pink. Some guys may want to have pink gear on anti-bully day, and others may just want pink gear because they like the colour.

Back to your point though, when it comes to the Guardian outfit, personally I think the helmet is the thing I like least about the differences between the male and female versions. I've always thought the ladies deserved that sweet helmet that us guys get. That may be part of the reason why I have never seen any female characters who have the Guardian outfit using the helmet/hat. Ok, well maybe not never, but I only recall ever seeing it once. In the past 3 years I don't remember ever seeing it.

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
379
I like this. People should have access to the same looks. This idea has been Skybreaker-approved.



Best of luck!
S.S.

Hero
May 07, 2015
724
Soul330 on Apr 7, 2016 wrote:
I 100% agree with this!
same

Mastermind
Apr 13, 2011
395
I am a male player but I completely agree that girls should be able to wear more similar items as the male players. I am with you on this.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
1304
I've been discussing this idea for several years with my friends. The majority of designers for games are guys. Guys know what's cool for themselves, but have no clue what gals really want to wear. There should be options.

I have male and female wizards. I have male wizards, partially because I hate some of the outfits the females wear, and I wanted a particular look for a wizard. The Prestigious gear is a perfect example. The outfit for the guys is very medieval-ish and cool looking while the female outfit is a wimpy pointed-hat princess outfit that makes your tush look huge.

I always thought the female Elegant gear and Guardian gear was ugly. My female wizards wouldn't be caught dead wearing them.

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
545
I like this idea. There have absolutely been times when I've liked one gender's clothing and thought it was completely doofy on the other gender. I've also been continually frustrated by the fact that guys almost always get longer capes and girls are expected to be fine with dorky short capes. I was really excited about the hawkrider gear until I saw that it looked completely lame on my female characters, for example. I would like an option in the dye shop to alter our gear and switch freely between gender options for the clothing.

Defender
Feb 27, 2015
103
BrynnerOfReign on Apr 11, 2016 wrote:
I've been discussing this idea for several years with my friends. The majority of designers for games are guys. Guys know what's cool for themselves, but have no clue what gals really want to wear. There should be options.

I have male and female wizards. I have male wizards, partially because I hate some of the outfits the females wear, and I wanted a particular look for a wizard. The Prestigious gear is a perfect example. The outfit for the guys is very medieval-ish and cool looking while the female outfit is a wimpy pointed-hat princess outfit that makes your tush look huge.

I always thought the female Elegant gear and Guardian gear was ugly. My female wizards wouldn't be caught dead wearing them.
lol this is very true

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
2227
Why not an option in the clothing dye shop, to change the style of the clothing instead of dying it? This way, we can pick whatever clothing style we want? So, we can dye it, AND change the outward look of it. I'll say this though, I dont think it's needed.

Survivor
Dec 30, 2011
2
I 100% agree with this
Kathrine Sparkleflower lvl39 ice

Explorer
May 23, 2009
96
Lenora Dusk on Apr 7, 2016 wrote:
I am writing this topic to speak about an issue that I feel very strongly about. I feel very strongly about how the female character models are subjected to wearing dresses and fancier wear and not able to wear more masculine armor. Now there is gear that is gender neutral and share the same model on both but I believe that it is not fair that the Guardian's outfits look different for both gender models. If I want to wear a more masculine armor with a cape and not wings and a cloak I should have every right to make that decision for my character. This is a problem in a lot of video games, the females always have to wear the feminine clothing or flimsy armor. The PvP armor Cloak of
Invincibility (I believe is the name) is the same way. It is not fair that the female models don't have the option to have it look like actual armor like the male's but we have to look pretty with wings and a cloak. I also have a problem with the Hallowe'en gear with the skeleton head and hat, why should that be only for males too? As a female who plays video games, I shouldn't have to conform to being feminine. I spent my money on this game and on those Guardian outfits and I cant have the option to wear masculine gear? I think this should be addressed. It is not fair to us. Please try and understand the frustration that I have. I don't want to have to make a male character to enjoy those outfits. You could always give the option before it is redeemed if the player wishes to have it
look like the model they prefer. I understand that the outfits are built to fit that character model but I am sure changes could be tweaked to fit the body.

Thank you for reading and understanding, do you agree and believe this should be changed? Gear has no gender!

Thanks,
A very strong girl who loves all gear types--not just feminine!
Lenora Dusk (Death Wizard)
I disagree and agree with this idea. To me, all existing gear should remain as it is. I have both female and male wizards and this is one of the reasons I enjoy having wizards of both genders. For example, I'd love that the Halloween skeleton mask is only for guys. I would be disheartened if my female wizards could achieve the same look. My female wizards can look as scary with the mask from the nightmare pack which is a great alternative. My death wizard (female) is using the guardian outfit, but is dressed in all black with pink hair. She looks "cool" to me rather than "pretty". However, I wouldn't mind this option in some future gears. I agree it would cool if female wizards can look more "masculine". Though, in my opinion having new faces/expressions would be better first, which have been discussed in this forum.

Survivor
May 03, 2009
2
TPG Miserie on Apr 13, 2016 wrote:
I disagree and agree with this idea. To me, all existing gear should remain as it is. I have both female and male wizards and this is one of the reasons I enjoy having wizards of both genders. For example, I'd love that the Halloween skeleton mask is only for guys. I would be disheartened if my female wizards could achieve the same look. My female wizards can look as scary with the mask from the nightmare pack which is a great alternative. My death wizard (female) is using the guardian outfit, but is dressed in all black with pink hair. She looks "cool" to me rather than "pretty". However, I wouldn't mind this option in some future gears. I agree it would cool if female wizards can look more "masculine". Though, in my opinion having new faces/expressions would be better first, which have been discussed in this forum.
I understand, but the important thing is that gear should be at least an option on what style to choose from. It is very easy to tell a characters gender by 1. Their name, and 2: the obvious faces that the characters possess. If I want my character to look "pretty" I have every right to wear an item that resembles a dress or the guardians vestment but I should also have every right to use the boys version of it too because there is no real reason you shouldn't. Girls already have the option to look "pretty" but the issue here is to allow more "cool" options. I understand the idea of having some gear be "reserved" but there really is no point for that. The diversity is key and if you get the option of being feminine and "pretty" than so be it but you should have a just as diverse option for the "cool" and "masculine" options. But since it is someone's character they can express them and should be able to create the style that they wish to have, without the gender involved. I don't think someone would get a female character all confused just because of the sole fact that she is wearing more "masculine" armor. This would actually create even more diversity in the game and people who love their characters even more because they achieved the look that they visioned for themselves. New faces would be interesting, I agree with that. Thank you for sharing your opinion!

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
379
Lenora Dusk on Apr 14, 2016 wrote:
I understand, but the important thing is that gear should be at least an option on what style to choose from. It is very easy to tell a characters gender by 1. Their name, and 2: the obvious faces that the characters possess. If I want my character to look "pretty" I have every right to wear an item that resembles a dress or the guardians vestment but I should also have every right to use the boys version of it too because there is no real reason you shouldn't. Girls already have the option to look "pretty" but the issue here is to allow more "cool" options. I understand the idea of having some gear be "reserved" but there really is no point for that. The diversity is key and if you get the option of being feminine and "pretty" than so be it but you should have a just as diverse option for the "cool" and "masculine" options. But since it is someone's character they can express them and should be able to create the style that they wish to have, without the gender involved. I don't think someone would get a female character all confused just because of the sole fact that she is wearing more "masculine" armor. This would actually create even more diversity in the game and people who love their characters even more because they achieved the look that they visioned for themselves. New faces would be interesting, I agree with that. Thank you for sharing your opinion!
Although I'm for this idea, I would like to point out a few holes.

Your name could be one of the unisex names, such as Taylor or Devin.

You could also be wearing a mask that has little to no difference on males and females.

I do agree, though, that they should allow each gender to wear whatever they want. For instance, I highly disliked a lot of Marleybone-looking gear on females because I dislike dresses, it simply doesn't represent me. It's not uncommon to see women in suits and pants nowadays (even if that wasn't popular in the Victorian era).

In that case, someone may have to give up the gender they wish to convey online in exchange for what they consider cooler clothes. I don't think that should be necessary.

Best of luck!
S.S.

Explorer
Feb 10, 2012
71
Another point that people have yet to mention: Boys should be allowed to wear dresses if they want!

Delver
Mar 29, 2012
235
That would be really really cool. There are some hats that definitely look cooler on the guys. Great idea. Amber


Delver
Mar 29, 2012
235
Soul330, boys already do wear dresses in game.

Hero
Nov 22, 2015
772
Soul330 on Apr 15, 2016 wrote:
Another point that people have yet to mention: Boys should be allowed to wear dresses if they want!
As ridiculous as this sounds, I agree with this. Not because I wanna go walking around in a dress, I just believe that each gender should be able to choose their style, no matter how ridiculous it may be.

Hero
Nov 22, 2015
772
Soul330 on Apr 15, 2016 wrote:
Another point that people have yet to mention: Boys should be allowed to wear dresses if they want!
Also, dresses could be good replacements for (maybe priestly) robes if Wizard101 had any. I'd like to walk around in a priestly robe. I'm not religious, but this still seems like a cool style. Especially for Life wizards.

Hero
Nov 22, 2015
772
dayerider on Apr 12, 2016 wrote:
Why not an option in the clothing dye shop, to change the style of the clothing instead of dying it? This way, we can pick whatever clothing style we want? So, we can dye it, AND change the outward look of it. I'll say this though, I dont think it's needed.
Nice idea! This allows for much more flexibility, being able to change it multiple times. Another idea is that changing the style could be possible with stitching, but it shouldn't cost crowns to change the style. Let's say I have a really great piece of gear, but it's a dress. I'd want to be able to change that for gold.

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
379
Fable Finder on Apr 16, 2016 wrote:
Nice idea! This allows for much more flexibility, being able to change it multiple times. Another idea is that changing the style could be possible with stitching, but it shouldn't cost crowns to change the style. Let's say I have a really great piece of gear, but it's a dress. I'd want to be able to change that for gold.
Well, to add onto that, I think when the item drops, the style of it could be randomly generated. This would be in a similar way as to when clothes are dropped with random colours (limited only by schools).

Best of luck!
S.S.

Explorer
Feb 10, 2012
71
AmberRavenSong7 on Apr 16, 2016 wrote:
Soul330, boys already do wear dresses in game.
A lot of their clothing options are dress-like, true, but not actual dresses. Which they should be allowed to have.

Explorer
Sep 19, 2012
50
meanwhile in Pirate101 girls would KILL to have the option of ANYTHING slightly girlie... we all have same outfits gender equal stinks :P i wants heels! in fact i'd like a peg leg! lol

though i must say i do prefer the male myth splendid hat over the female one.. love that feather! but thats why we can make male or female characters on wizard styles do change.. on pirate no..

stormy jen silver

Geographer
Mar 16, 2012
868
stormyjensilverdra... on Apr 22, 2016 wrote:
meanwhile in Pirate101 girls would KILL to have the option of ANYTHING slightly girlie... we all have same outfits gender equal stinks :P i wants heels! in fact i'd like a peg leg! lol

though i must say i do prefer the male myth splendid hat over the female one.. love that feather! but thats why we can make male or female characters on wizard styles do change.. on pirate no..

stormy jen silver
Lol, I was going to comment on how in P101, the girls are forced to wear the same gear as the guys ( with a very few exceptions in 0 lvl gear ) and you beat me to it! I've posted a few threads BEGGING KI devs to make feminine clothes for us!
I completely support any wizard, male or female, wearing what they like and think their wizards would wear ( armor or dresses ).
Choice is what we all would love!!

Defender
Aug 25, 2014
164
I would love this. One thing that disappoints me is the Santa outfit. The girls have this silly bonnet instead of a Santa hat. It doesn't look right, imo.

1