Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Minions that level up

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 10, 2011
30
Ok, so I like playing Pirate 101, and I like the fact that there are minions that level up there. And then I noticed that many people were complaining that Wizard 101's minions were weak. So my idea is that there should be a way to level up your minions. I'm balance, so I will use the mander minion as an example. So, once you reach level 50 the mader summons you. Different schools will see the minions that they summon, but the balance will see the mander. He will tell you that he fought in a great Krok war that divided the world into three nations, the fire worshipers, the ice worshipers, and the storm worshipers. As an ice mander, he was a big soldier in the ice worshipers. After the war ended, the queen decided to blame the manders on the battle. As a criminal, his deck of powerful spells were taken away from him. His outfit was taken away as well. He asks you to battle the armory owner to gain the deck and costume that will give him more powerful spells. After you beat the enemy, you bring the items back to the madnder and he becomes a level 30 creature. However, he tells you if you give him 3,000 crowns he can upgrade a few of his items. If you give him the crowns he will become a level 50 creature. This is to prevent Kingsisle from losing money on people no longer buying henchman. Please post your thoughts.

Champion
Dec 01, 2011
496
Fishburt700 on Mar 26, 2013 wrote:
Ok, so I like playing Pirate 101, and I like the fact that there are minions that level up there. And then I noticed that many people were complaining that Wizard 101's minions were weak. So my idea is that there should be a way to level up your minions. I'm balance, so I will use the mander minion as an example. So, once you reach level 50 the mader summons you. Different schools will see the minions that they summon, but the balance will see the mander. He will tell you that he fought in a great Krok war that divided the world into three nations, the fire worshipers, the ice worshipers, and the storm worshipers. As an ice mander, he was a big soldier in the ice worshipers. After the war ended, the queen decided to blame the manders on the battle. As a criminal, his deck of powerful spells were taken away from him. His outfit was taken away as well. He asks you to battle the armory owner to gain the deck and costume that will give him more powerful spells. After you beat the enemy, you bring the items back to the madnder and he becomes a level 30 creature. However, he tells you if you give him 3,000 crowns he can upgrade a few of his items. If you give him the crowns he will become a level 50 creature. This is to prevent Kingsisle from losing money on people no longer buying henchman. Please post your thoughts.
Agreed. But if Kingsisle do that, they will lose some Henchmen purchase, so good for players but bad for the Profit side.

Explorer
Nov 29, 2012
66
Honestly, I see some flaws in this. Now what would happen for myth? They have a lot of minions so they'd have to a lot of quests and such. Also the crowns part doesn't make much sense. You don't really need henchmen in the first place, but to pay 3,000 crowns for a single thing seems a little crazy. Especially for myth. They would have to fork out about 12,000 crowns just to level them up. I think KI already gains a lot of money besides the henchmen sales, such as mounts. I think it might be a cool idea to level up minions, just hopefully if it ever happens it's affordable.

Squire
Jul 18, 2010
519
Cool idea i like it But Kingsisle may lose money since henchmen are purchased frequently and are found very helpful to all players

Astrologist
Jan 11, 2012
1188
How about tying their levels DIRECTLY to our level. For every 3 levels we are, they get 1. Think about this a moment, if you’re level 80, your minion is now a level 26. At level 26 pyrominion could cast Firecat, Fire Elf, Glacial Shield, Sunbird, Fire Shield, Tranquilize, Firetrap, Metero Strike, Quench, Wyldfire and Take Power. That’s a lot of spells to choose from, including the ability to sacrifice itself for us. They would be a HELP, but couldn’t fight FOR us (what I’ve been saying all along).

Our minion’s stats would be based off of school stats and gear, observing proper school/level requirements, would have access to any school specific spell we have learned, and have a 10 card limit in their deck, but they should never run out of cards (just like now). I think our minions should also take advantage of stat boosting abilities in our pets (immunity/damage/protection/etc boosts).

I don’t think this would impact henchmen buying MUCH, although it would some. If you’re in Avalon, how much help would a level 26 ally, who once was killed, could not be healed, really be? Its hit points wouldn’t be all that great, so it runs the risk of being killed quickly. Sure it would have access to all the spells we’ve learned, but it couldn’t “overlearn”, meaning a level 26 minion could NOT cast Efreet. By the time your pryominion could learn helephant, WE would need to be level 126 and firedragon wouldn’t be a possibility until WE were level 144 (5 worlds away if the level cap stays consistent). The spells I listed above would be its cap due to level requirements (for level 26). So it’s BEST AoE spell would be meteor, boosted twice MAX (fire blade and fire trap). It keeps everything in check, easily, but gives us a greater ability, all while maintaining henchmen/profit needs.

Survivor
Mar 12, 2011
33
That is a good idea, except for Myth. Myth has Talos, an already excellent minion. But his base attack can already do 4, 5 and 6 pip spells, as well as blade and trap his targets the way he wants. I don't think there would be a fair way to improve Talos in that system you created. And if they would have to make a seperate system for certain minions just to keep them balanced they probably won't bother. I think it would be excellent either way though. Minions are seriously under developed as it is.

Survivor
Dec 10, 2011
30
dayerider on Apr 6, 2013 wrote:
How about tying their levels DIRECTLY to our level. For every 3 levels we are, they get 1. Think about this a moment, if you’re level 80, your minion is now a level 26. At level 26 pyrominion could cast Firecat, Fire Elf, Glacial Shield, Sunbird, Fire Shield, Tranquilize, Firetrap, Metero Strike, Quench, Wyldfire and Take Power. That’s a lot of spells to choose from, including the ability to sacrifice itself for us. They would be a HELP, but couldn’t fight FOR us (what I’ve been saying all along).

Our minion’s stats would be based off of school stats and gear, observing proper school/level requirements, would have access to any school specific spell we have learned, and have a 10 card limit in their deck, but they should never run out of cards (just like now). I think our minions should also take advantage of stat boosting abilities in our pets (immunity/damage/protection/etc boosts).

I don’t think this would impact henchmen buying MUCH, although it would some. If you’re in Avalon, how much help would a level 26 ally, who once was killed, could not be healed, really be? Its hit points wouldn’t be all that great, so it runs the risk of being killed quickly. Sure it would have access to all the spells we’ve learned, but it couldn’t “overlearn”, meaning a level 26 minion could NOT cast Efreet. By the time your pryominion could learn helephant, WE would need to be level 126 and firedragon wouldn’t be a possibility until WE were level 144 (5 worlds away if the level cap stays consistent). The spells I listed above would be its cap due to level requirements (for level 26). So it’s BEST AoE spell would be meteor, boosted twice MAX (fire blade and fire trap). It keeps everything in check, easily, but gives us a greater ability, all while maintaining henchmen/profit needs.
Something that I really don't like about other people's ideas that are similar to this is the idea that you shouldn't need to work to get the upgrades. I see where you're coming from, but I like the idea about doing a battle to get the leveled up minions. That is what you do in Pirate 101 and that is what I think you should do in Wizard 101. And, I forgot to mention this before, but you only unlock these when you reach level 50. And people can only get one minion. The minion that you unlock in Krokotopia. So that means that you would only be able to get one minion. Also, the pip cost would be raised. Instead of 3 pips, it would cost 5 pips.
And to those people that say paying 3,000 crowns to make them more powerful, think about this: how does throwing in crowns to get another chance at the gear make sense? I think that it is a perfectly reasonable price to pay to get stronger minions.
And the boss that you would have to face would have a high health, maybe 10,000, but no cheats so that he wouldn't be impossible. No minions, and a solo only boss. Please post you're thoughts!

Astrologist
Jan 11, 2012
1188
Fishburt700 on Apr 10, 2013 wrote:
Something that I really don't like about other people's ideas that are similar to this is the idea that you shouldn't need to work to get the upgrades. I see where you're coming from, but I like the idea about doing a battle to get the leveled up minions. That is what you do in Pirate 101 and that is what I think you should do in Wizard 101. And, I forgot to mention this before, but you only unlock these when you reach level 50. And people can only get one minion. The minion that you unlock in Krokotopia. So that means that you would only be able to get one minion. Also, the pip cost would be raised. Instead of 3 pips, it would cost 5 pips.
And to those people that say paying 3,000 crowns to make them more powerful, think about this: how does throwing in crowns to get another chance at the gear make sense? I think that it is a perfectly reasonable price to pay to get stronger minions.
And the boss that you would have to face would have a high health, maybe 10,000, but no cheats so that he wouldn't be impossible. No minions, and a solo only boss. Please post you're thoughts!
I thought that too initially, and have posted my ideas on the "getting XP from battles" idea. both have merit. The biggest reason I changed my concept, was so as soon as you signed on, your minion would automatically be leveled accordingly. Think of it this way, if a level 90 wizard had to level up its minion from scratch, and didnt gain any experience from the battles because they were capped, how would that be fair? This way, the level 90 wizard can take advantage of the minion's new level immediately, and it works all up and down the level scale. This way it's fair to everybody, no additional training needs to happen, it's applied automatically.

I totally agree, one minion per school, altho treasure cards could still be used. Cost wise, I could easily agree to 4 pips, but no, I dont agree that we should be able to boost them with crowns. I think they should be fully allowed to use crown gear based off of school and level restrictions of course.

I think minions should always be allowed in any PvE fight, especially bosses. Cheating and unfair advantages are jsut how things are for newer bosses, and I think the Player, his Minion, and Henchmen should be allowed all at the same time.