Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 6-23-17

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Hi folks! Before I'm needed on the KI Live set, I wanted to do our normal Friday thing with the Feedback!

This week, we released our Summer Update to the Test Ream. Check out the notes HERE if you haven't already. Today, I'd like to ask - have you've had a chance to test out the new Turn-Based Tournaments? If so, what do you think? One thing we've already had plenty of feedback on is the planning phase and the length, and in an upcoming update we plan to decrease the first (planning) and increase the second (length) a little.

Looking forward to your feedback, Wizards. Have a wonderful Friday, and tune into KI Live if you get a chance!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!Save

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Survivor
Aug 16, 2009
I believe the new turn-based PvP mode does not work for simple reasons. It is impossible for tournaments between skilled players to end due to the time constraint. The system, in itself, is flawed. I also believe that the dispel shield is, personally, a terribly poor idea. Since the game is set up with such a massive discrepancy between damage and healing, the only way to stay alive and play with even some strategy is to dispel/juju spam your opponent to reduce the immense damage incoming to your teammates. All that is required is a few smoke screens to break enemy combos, and a few cleanses to help your teammate out! Without this, whoever gets a shadow spell first simply wins since it is nearly impossible to out heal the damage caused. The game is going in a very poor direction.

I have played this game avidly since 2009, and I am very disappointed in the direction KingsIsle has decided to go. The game has been on a decline; illustrated by the recent (within the last two years, pardon me on not knowing the specifics) letting go of around half of KI staff. The game, to be successful like it was, needs to return to its roots as a game of strategy, not a game of chance. Again, this is just my opinion, and I do not expect the course to be altered. But, for the benefit of the community, I believe I had to post this. I have been a warlord in all three ages across almost every single school. I do not say this in a bragging manner or a way that is intended to be rude. I say this so it shows that I have deep roots in the game, have played thousands of matches over 6 years, and have a valid point to make that I hope KingsIsle will consider. See you in the Spiral, fellow wizards!

Explorer
Sep 25, 2016
PvP has never really been my thing so I haven't tried it out, but it looks really cool!

Mastermind
Feb 07, 2010
I haven't tested it, because PVP just doesn't appeal to me, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the time limit for the planning phase. If you want to do something about getting more rounds into tournaments, my suggestion is to do away with the time limit and have a round limit instead.

Survivor
Dec 22, 2011
The team that goes second should start with an extra pip, even though it's a new system. The ability for the team that goes first to act first gives them a huge advantage, despite the change, and having the extra pip would reduce that advantage. Another problem I noticed was for advanced teams in 4v4s; it's extremely hard for either team to defeat the other in the allotted time, and the match would always end up being decided by Diego, which wasn't very fun at all. A contributing factor to that were the dispel shields--having 4 is way too much. The fact that it would take 4 dispels to get rid of the shields then a 5th to actually stick is extremely excessive. I think 2 is much more balanced. It would allow a team to coordinate when to use dispels, instead of practically never being able to use another, which would then reduce the time of each match. All in all, I would give this type of system a 7/10 for 1v1 and 2v2, but 4/10 for 3v3 and 4v4. Thanks for the updates!

Survivor
May 12, 2011
I have tried 2 of the turn based pvp tournaments so far. A 2v2 and a 4v4. I love the idea. The only issues I have with it is that we cannot discard nor enchant our cards when it's not our turn to hit. I don't mind not hitting, but I'd like to be able to at least get rid of cards i'm not going to use and enchant those I plan to. I might miss an entire round due to not being able to pick a card and/or delete one. Also, in regular tournaments we get pips each round, we don't have that in turn based. We only get pips when it's our turn to take action. With a little tweaking I think this is a really neat addition to the current tournaments. I think it's really fun!

Survivor
Aug 20, 2012
Survivor
Sep 07, 2012
Hi - not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I've just heard from someone promising to purchase 60,000 crowns for me. He asked me to add him as a friend in FB then messaged me there to say that if I give him my username and password he will add crowns to my account. Of course, I didn't give out my information even though he said I could "trust" him. Is this a common practice in this game?

Survivor
Dec 30, 2009
I disagree with the previous comment but not having multiple dispel blocks in 4v4. If you didn't have multiple dispel blocks, that defeats the purpose of them. In team PvP, you can easily take off one dispel block by having team members dispel in the same turn.

That was the issue with stuns as well because all they had to do was have a wizard dedicated to stunning each turn.

Defender
Apr 18, 2014
Being an older player, I wish that more complicated words would be allowed by the text chat filter. I, myself, have open chat, but many friends of mine in-game have text chat and it is slightly difficult to get a point across. Several years ago I made a post about adding 'hilarious' to the chat menu. Updating the filter is something to look into.

Also, many cosmetic issues have arisen due to the Spring 2017 update for Monstrology. The battle clock disappearing, as well as an older cosmetic issue of the items in the bazaar not being centered in the preview, instead they are far below the preview and you must zoom out in order to see them.

Another issue that has arisen is the reporting system. I've come across many inappropriate players displaying misconduct, and when I report them the tiny box in the window just doesn't allow me to fully inform the moderators of the issue. I understand that they can check the chat logs, however, but I believe adding a larger box would be a smart feature. Also, the fact that many players claim false report and cry wolf when someone genuinely reports them for being a nuisance is very annoying. You can't believe how many times I've gotten reported back from reporting those that are being rude. I recently emailed Kingsisle about a wizard who was very rude to me and told me I was immature when I reported her. I told KI that those with anger and aggression problems are very affected by players such as her, and that she was a danger to others. KI in response told me to ignore it and disable my chat. I WILL NOT disable MY connection to friends and family because a girl doesn't know how to play nice.

Anyways, that's all for now since there is a character limit on the message boards

Defender
Apr 06, 2013
Professor Falmea on Jun 23, 2017 wrote:
Hi folks! Before I'm needed on the KI Live set, I wanted to do our normal Friday thing with the Feedback!

This week, we released our Summer Update to the Test Ream. Check out the notes HERE if you haven't already. Today, I'd like to ask - have you've had a chance to test out the new Turn-Based Tournaments? If so, what do you think? One thing we've already had plenty of feedback on is the planning phase and the length, and in an upcoming update we plan to decrease the first (planning) and increase the second (length) a little.

Looking forward to your feedback, Wizards. Have a wonderful Friday, and tune into KI Live if you get a chance!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!Save
I had only tried 1v1 and the issue I have with is that there is little time to actually fight. Its all a waiting game and the people would usually try to stall the time and reduce the incoming damage as possible as the other person can't make a move and have to wait for another full turn to make a full move, which basically is time consuming. I could imagine it would be worse on 2v2 and etc. Another small issue is the lack of discard or placing enchants while waiting, but that could be me complaining. Other than that, the new system is great and can't wait for the update to come soon.

Alejandro

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Ryan StormStalker on Jun 23, 2017 wrote:
I believe the new turn-based PvP mode does not work for simple reasons. It is impossible for tournaments between skilled players to end due to the time constraint. The system, in itself, is flawed. I also believe that the dispel shield is, personally, a terribly poor idea. Since the game is set up with such a massive discrepancy between damage and healing, the only way to stay alive and play with even some strategy is to dispel/juju spam your opponent to reduce the immense damage incoming to your teammates. All that is required is a few smoke screens to break enemy combos, and a few cleanses to help your teammate out! Without this, whoever gets a shadow spell first simply wins since it is nearly impossible to out heal the damage caused. The game is going in a very poor direction.

I have played this game avidly since 2009, and I am very disappointed in the direction KingsIsle has decided to go. The game has been on a decline; illustrated by the recent (within the last two years, pardon me on not knowing the specifics) letting go of around half of KI staff. The game, to be successful like it was, needs to return to its roots as a game of strategy, not a game of chance. Again, this is just my opinion, and I do not expect the course to be altered. But, for the benefit of the community, I believe I had to post this. I have been a warlord in all three ages across almost every single school. I do not say this in a bragging manner or a way that is intended to be rude. I say this so it shows that I have deep roots in the game, have played thousands of matches over 6 years, and have a valid point to make that I hope KingsIsle will consider. See you in the Spiral, fellow wizards!
As a 1v1 player I think this turn system and the dispel shield is a great idea. The turn system significantly reduces the discrepancy between first and second turn. The dispel shield helps to counter the excessive dispel spam that dominated 1v1 battles in the last meta. As such I support both systems being implemented with all duel haste into Ranked 1v1 PvP. I also have multiple warlords in all 3 ages and have also been playing since 2009 with thousands of matches under my belt.

That being said, I can sympathize with Ryan as he seems to be coming from a team PvP perspective. From that perspective- AoE damage(+buffs) far outpaces AoE heals and the ability of 4 moves to happen before the other team even has a chance to react is huge. Team PvP needs some significant revamps on it's own as demonstrated by the fact that Ranked 3v3 and 4v4 are practically nonexistent. As such I would not mind holding off these changes for 3v3 and 4v4 until more sweeping modifications to team pvp have been made. However, these changes are an absolute must for 1v1 PvP and should be implemented universally to 1v1 Ranked PvP.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
I just have one comment from KI. You said you were going to use this tourney format's popularity to decide if it should be implemented in ranked pvp. I think this could be misleading:

1. The majority of tournament players DO NOT play ranked at all, therefore they are not the best gauge to use.
2. The Ranked players who do tournaments generally only do them to get tickets to buy stuff to do ranked,
therefore, I believe Quick Match is most likely what they would choose.
3. Having done both ranked and tournaments fairly extensively on several schools, I am going to have to say that
the play style between the 2 is very different.

Having said all that, I am not sure what would be a good gauge to use to see if it should be implemented in rank, perhaps someone more creative than myself can suggest one.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
CeerWiz on Jun 24, 2017 wrote:
Hi - not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I've just heard from someone promising to purchase 60,000 crowns for me. He asked me to add him as a friend in FB then messaged me there to say that if I give him my username and password he will add crowns to my account. Of course, I didn't give out my information even though he said I could "trust" him. Is this a common practice in this game?
Someone you don't know and have never met is going to give you $60 worth of virtual merchandise out of the kindness of his heart. Does that sound very realistic?

Nope.

Good to hear that you were cautious and didn't give out any of your personal information. Not only is this "not a common practice," it is absolutely forbidden. You could lose your account over something like this.

NEVER share any login or password information with anyone. Not even Grandmother Raven.

Alia Misthaven

PS: Forgive the interruption, Professor Falmea, but the above comment seemed important to address.

As to the question posed this week: I don't PVP but for the sake of those who do, I'm very glad to see boosting and the second turn disadvantage are both being addressed.

Administrator
Hi folks! Thanks for the comments and feedback. The update that altered the time limits and the planning phase went to Test Realm on Monday, and we have more changes (specifically adding back the extra pip for those who go second, some other things as well) coming next week as well.

As for anything fishy going on in game, please report that player and contact customer support. You should indeed never give your password to anyone, no matter WHAT they promise you!

A feedback THURSDAY coming up shortly.

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea