Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 2-3-17

1
AuthorMessage
Administrator
Hello Wizards! It's Friday, and time for feedback, so let's get to it, shall we?

Today, let's chat about chatting! How would you improve menu chat? It's quite handy, but sometimes leaves you lacking in expression or searching for the right phrase. What chat phrases would you add, or how would you change the system entirely to improve it?

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!


Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!Save

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea (aka Leah Ruben, your fearless Producer!)
Delver
Jan 17, 2013
243
Professor Falmea on Feb 3, 2017 wrote:
Hello Wizards! It's Friday, and time for feedback, so let's get to it, shall we?

Today, let's chat about chatting! How would you improve menu chat? It's quite handy, but sometimes leaves you lacking in expression or searching for the right phrase. What chat phrases would you add, or how would you change the system entirely to improve it?

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!


Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!Save
Get rid of it and give everyone at least text chat. Text chat is already super filtered, so I don't understand why kids use menu chat instead.

Hero
May 02, 2009
787
Well for starters I would add another menu to the in-battle chat, specifically the "hello" menu, as it's just so cumbersome and awkward trying to tell a menu chatter "hi" in battle by navigating to "Battle" and then again to "Happy" to find "Hi". Doing this would allow us to be more friendly and polite to menu chatters easier than we can be right now.

Delver
Dec 15, 2009
202
One of my greatest ideas to change how the whole system works is:

It's similar to text chat, but each word you will choose. Example, if you wanted to say "Come to Khrysalis with me!"

That is not on the menu chat, but with the new system you put in word for word and a suggestion box will pop up asking you if that is the word you want to say, and you click it and it will write it.

If you put "Wiz" in the chatbox, some suggestions may be:

"Wizard101"
"Wizard"
"Wizards"
Then you put a space, and type "Is"

"Is"
"Island"
"Isabell"
etc

Another space, put "coo"

"Cool"
"Coordinate"
etc and so on

It's really similar to text chat but far more protective. Although this still may be abused to say bad stuff, I'd suggest the current Text Chat Wizard101 filter applies to this as well.

Survivor
May 20, 2011
2
Hero
May 02, 2009
787
FusionSun on Feb 3, 2017 wrote:
Get rid of it and give everyone at least text chat. Text chat is already super filtered, so I don't understand why kids use menu chat instead.
Because even with text chat it's still pretty easy to get around the filters to say inappropriate things. Menu chat helps prevent the younger ones from seeing that kind of language until they're older and more mature enough to handle seeing them.

Delver
Jun 14, 2016
247
Give us the ability to type in a message and find the closest Menu Chat message to what you typed.

Defender
Nov 10, 2015
189
Some text chatters or open chatters don't even know us menu chatters cant understand them. So I suggest either we can see what they are saying or we have a phrase that says, " Sorry, I don't have text chat, I cant understand you." or something.

Defender
Mar 04, 2012
164
Professor Falmea on Feb 3, 2017 wrote:
Hello Wizards! It's Friday, and time for feedback, so let's get to it, shall we?

Today, let's chat about chatting! How would you improve menu chat? It's quite handy, but sometimes leaves you lacking in expression or searching for the right phrase. What chat phrases would you add, or how would you change the system entirely to improve it?

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!


Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!Save
Hi maybe add (sorry I can't I'm helping a friend) I had a lot of friends who only had menu chat and they wanted to do battles or dungeons a lot and I'm helping someone with a quest when that happens and all I can say is I can't and they keep asking and I can't tell them I'm helping someone else and can't help them just yet so I think that would be handy for a lot of players also love the new charms thing just like yars on pirate101

Survivor
Apr 17, 2014
1
Get rid of it. I suggest making a new chat that is more filtered but still allows you to actually talk like a human being. My main account got muted for 10 years so I understand the struggle. Which by the way I got wrongly muted, I don't now nor have I ever had open chat, just the regular chat. And I constantly got reported for dumb reasons which lead to my mute. But anyway, as someone who is forced to use the chat on a daily bases, I can tell you it's awful. I can't tell you how many times people have refused to add me, quest with me, etc, simply because there's no real communication. Using menu chat is like being a robot. So overall, I'd suggest scrapping menu chat and making a new a new chat system that still allows people to talk by typing but maybe has a more strict filter than regular chat. And I don't mean a chat that just lets you say like: Hi, Hey, I am level100, stuff like that. Cause again, a team based game like Wizard101 kinda needs communication. And saying Hi just doesn't cut it. And know you can say more than just "hi" but again it makes you sound like a robot. Not to mention it's annoying having to click on a bunch of different little tabs to find what you want. I literally had to memorize all the different clicks in the menu chat just to somewhat engage in a conversation. I can't stress this enough, Wizard101 is a team based game and you know it.

Mastermind
Feb 06, 2010
318
Professor Falmea on Feb 3, 2017 wrote:
Hello Wizards! It's Friday, and time for feedback, so let's get to it, shall we?

Today, let's chat about chatting! How would you improve menu chat? It's quite handy, but sometimes leaves you lacking in expression or searching for the right phrase. What chat phrases would you add, or how would you change the system entirely to improve it?

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!


Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!Save
There needs to be more options for strategy discussion. It gets VERY aggravating when there can't be legitimate instructions in battle.

The following are some examples of what we need:
  • This Boss cheats
  • This Boss cheats when you place a feint on him/her
  • The Rat will finish us after the 30th round


From personal experience:

The first time I went through Azteca/Xibalba, I was paired up with one wizard that did not have text chat. He kept trying to explain to me that you have to defeat the minions, not Malistaire the Undying. I eventually understood, but it took me a while. So one I would definitely add is:
  • Defeat the Minions, not Malistaire the Undying!!!! (of course we would eventually figure it out, but the point is, I was not able to get specific instruction as I would if he had text chat)



Survivor
Jun 09, 2009
1
Historian
Jun 19, 2010
657
I'd also love to add to menu chat the following phrases:

"I don't gift crown"
"Tag, you're it!"
"I'm getting ready to log off"
"I'll be back in ___ minutes" (users can manually enter the number of minutes)

I'd also love for the letters AFK to automatically appear over a person's head after so many minutes of inactivity, or a player selects this option from menu chat.

Survivor
Jun 24, 2015
22
In my (personal) opinion, I think there should be a change regarding the audience of the game and the chat options.

I recently watched ItsAnthony's video (youtube) "Business!", and it's pretty spot-on. If you watch it you'll see he has a point; the game is too expensive for its audience. 9-13 year olds that want crowns? $10/month memberships? This game is extremely kid-friendly so it's basically directed at them. Either change the price of the crowns and memberships (unlikely to happen) or direct it at an older audience.

In PvP, high ranked players spend a lot of money on Wizard101. This is the older audience. How many times have you bumped into a high ranked PvP player who is 9-13 years old? PvP requires a certain level of reasoning/skill that is very rarely acquired at that age. If you make it more "teen/young adult-friendly" then you might be more successful.

Let's place open chat as an example. It's supposed to be for 18+ yet we still have restrictions. I get that there are children who buy open chat (that are minors), but what if we add an Age Verification process (like in IMVU) where you have to send KingIsle a picture of your ID and your credit card for proof in order to have 100% open chat? That would be a great idea instead of filtering the words. In this case the chat would only be for 18+ audience (as it was meant to be I suppose). Also if this happens, muting people (with open chat) should only happen if there are personal attacks, or direct insults, even though the words aren't filtered per se...

...which brings me to the next quick comment I'd like to make - reports should be taken more seriously, but they should also see why someone's being reported before taking disciplinary action. If someone reports someone else for saying a bad word outloud to insult someone (in open, unfiltered chat) then they should probably either a) temporarily switch their open chat to filtered chat, or b) check first why they were reported before taking action.

Thank you.

Defender
Feb 26, 2012
134
I'd like to add new emotes to the menu chat options.

The chat options that actually cause the player's character model to move or perform a certain action could use a bit more variety. A while back the amazing people at Kingsile added new dance emotes into the game, more of that would be fun to see.

Dances like the moonwalk, the single ladies dance, the twist, the "hammer time" dance, the macarena, the robot, the egyptian dance, a tap dance, river dancing, or even the Charleston.

I'd also like to see the addition of more school specific emotes. Like shooting a fireball, a bolt of lightning, or creating a small snowcloud. I'd really like to see a duststorm for balance.

Having an emote that activates a spell animation outside of battle would be cool. Like what was done with some of the house magic effects.

Survivor
Apr 05, 2014
5
I would get more things to say in general like 'Let's Go' or 'Come on' and I would change the font -Vanessa Swiftcaster

Hero
Nov 22, 2015
768
cole spellslinger on Feb 4, 2017 wrote:
Some text chatters or open chatters don't even know us menu chatters cant understand them. So I suggest either we can see what they are saying or we have a phrase that says, " Sorry, I don't have text chat, I cant understand you." or something.
There is.

Survivor
Apr 18, 2009
2
Menu chat, for me, generally gets most ideas across. However, the one change I would like made ever since it first came about is to add "You're welcome!" to the top level. "Thank you." is already there. One should be able to respond in kind fairly quickly.

Survivor
Mar 22, 2010
31
I would suggest getting rid of it all together. A lot of those players stand around feeling left out because they can't put things into words to properly speak with others players.Chat is already filtered enough but you should strongly think about putting the moderators back into the game. they did help a lot when they were there. not everyone reports when someone is talking or acting inappropriately. The moderators also keep those who would act up second thought about their own behavior.

Survivor
Aug 29, 2010
5
LifeyLeafy on Feb 4, 2017 wrote:
In my (personal) opinion, I think there should be a change regarding the audience of the game and the chat options.

I recently watched ItsAnthony's video (youtube) "Business!", and it's pretty spot-on. If you watch it you'll see he has a point; the game is too expensive for its audience. 9-13 year olds that want crowns? $10/month memberships? This game is extremely kid-friendly so it's basically directed at them. Either change the price of the crowns and memberships (unlikely to happen) or direct it at an older audience.

In PvP, high ranked players spend a lot of money on Wizard101. This is the older audience. How many times have you bumped into a high ranked PvP player who is 9-13 years old? PvP requires a certain level of reasoning/skill that is very rarely acquired at that age. If you make it more "teen/young adult-friendly" then you might be more successful.

Let's place open chat as an example. It's supposed to be for 18+ yet we still have restrictions. I get that there are children who buy open chat (that are minors), but what if we add an Age Verification process (like in IMVU) where you have to send KingIsle a picture of your ID and your credit card for proof in order to have 100% open chat? That would be a great idea instead of filtering the words. In this case the chat would only be for 18+ audience (as it was meant to be I suppose). Also if this happens, muting people (with open chat) should only happen if there are personal attacks, or direct insults, even though the words aren't filtered per se...

...which brings me to the next quick comment I'd like to make - reports should be taken more seriously, but they should also see why someone's being reported before taking disciplinary action. If someone reports someone else for saying a bad word outloud to insult someone (in open, unfiltered chat) then they should probably either a) temporarily switch their open chat to filtered chat, or b) check first why they were reported before taking action.

Thank you.
Open chat requires 13+/ or parents permission for a younger audience. If you make open chat 18+ and need age verification the younger audience would have barely anything to say. They could make ANOTHER chat for 18+ with either very little restrictions / no restrictions with an age verification. Anyways, just what I think

Survivor
May 01, 2010
44
I would completely get rid of Menu Chat as we know it and give everyone Text Chat, or at least the "you type in a word and suggestions come up" type of chat used in other games. Menu chat, simply put, doesn't let players communicate effectively at all. I understand that this is a kid's game, but shouldn't we allow them to play without hindrance and have fun chatting with friends?

Explorer
Mar 31, 2013
70
Blaze03554 on Feb 4, 2017 wrote:
There needs to be more options for strategy discussion. It gets VERY aggravating when there can't be legitimate instructions in battle.

The following are some examples of what we need:
  • This Boss cheats
  • This Boss cheats when you place a feint on him/her
  • The Rat will finish us after the 30th round


From personal experience:

The first time I went through Azteca/Xibalba, I was paired up with one wizard that did not have text chat. He kept trying to explain to me that you have to defeat the minions, not Malistaire the Undying. I eventually understood, but it took me a while. So one I would definitely add is:
  • Defeat the Minions, not Malistaire the Undying!!!! (of course we would eventually figure it out, but the point is, I was not able to get specific instruction as I would if he had text chat)


I agree. There needs to be a way to communicate with Menu Chat players regarding various Boss Cheats. I have posted about this before. I want to be an inclusive player and have had many positive experiences battling with Menu Chat players. However, other than "NO," how do you communicate the different cheats in Waterworks? or Darkmoor?

Thanks!

Survivor
Jun 30, 2013
2
i say get rid of it. for example: i made my account when i was 7 or 8 and i'm over the age for filtered chat but i still can't get it since my parents don't like paying with creditcard, i use the gift cards. i say either get rid of it or verification for filtered on the gift cards that are worth 20$

taylor Rainbow lv113
Taylor storm wraith lv40

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1395
How would I improve menu chat?

Please, please, please, put commonly used ones like "LOL" and "Wait" and "I need help" and "May I join?" in the main ones. By the time I find the category (which often doesn't make sense) and choose the drop down list to find what I want to say, the person is long gone or the moment has gone.

I would mostly use: Hi, LOL, Stop, May I join, Need any help, and Wait.

Also it would be nice if the animated ones worked while in battle. It would be humorous and break up the repetitious nature of some battles if everyone could start dancing

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1395
Just had another idea.
Instead of or in addition to using the drop down menu, what if we were able to type something and then type + m and it would appear as menu chat?

Would that be possible?

I'm of course referring to only words and phrases that already are in the menu chat. Just a shorthand if you will.

1