Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Expand the free to play content range

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 31, 2010
Wizard city, for as long as i can remember, has been the only world you could go to if you did not have membership. The content available for any player of this game who doesn't have a renewed membership just feels incredibly limiting. Wizard101 has a lot of potential, and it is using all of it in the wrong place. This game is 10 years old, and won't really attract the most new players anymore. It should be focusing on bringing players who had no time to get immersed in the game play and overall concept of wizard101 back into the game. This brings me to my idea:

Make everything up to Mooshu or Dragonspyre free.
This means that the entire, or almost the entire first arc would be available to anyone who wished to play it. This content takes at least 1 to 2 weeks to finish if you're playing for the first time. This allows for the players of the game to immerse themselves in the interesting part of the game, as well as have access to a massive amount of quest lines, battles, and pvp, if they want. Also, the game would feel more complete altogether. The ending to the first arc is one that leaves all ends tied together, it allows for the ending of the arc, with all questions being answered, all conflicts being closed, and overall being a good ending to the game. However, this would not be the end of the game altogether. If they wanted to continue forward to the second arc of the game, which isnt necessary to feel a sense of completion, but will, in a sense, allow the player to explore further afield. This, alone, i believe, would bring back many, many players who stopped after wizard city, which would expand your player base a LOT, to say the least. This game is filled to the brim and beyond with content, so why not give some more of it to the free-to-plays? That might give them the incentive to buy membership, for all i know.

But then again, what DO i know?

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
I personally think all of the wizard city should be unlocked for free to play players with the exception of Aquila.

Explorer
Jul 20, 2018
The entire first arc being f2p would be a dream come true, and an awesome thing that, if we're being honest, probably won't happen. However, at the very least, Wizard City should be made free to play. This would make a good gift to wrap up Wizard's epic Decaversary.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Hmmm, I think you're on to something...

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I agree. But I think Free-to- play up to Mooshu is too much. Kingsisle has to make money to keep the games going. and at the lowest affordable rate. Right now there are not enough arcs to make the first one free. Making all of Wizard City and maybe Krokatopia Free-to-play is good enough.

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
Ian Spellstaff on Dec 21, 2018 wrote:
Wizard city, for as long as i can remember, has been the only world you could go to if you did not have membership. The content available for any player of this game who doesn't have a renewed membership just feels incredibly limiting. Wizard101 has a lot of potential, and it is using all of it in the wrong place. This game is 10 years old, and won't really attract the most new players anymore. It should be focusing on bringing players who had no time to get immersed in the game play and overall concept of wizard101 back into the game. This brings me to my idea:

Make everything up to Mooshu or Dragonspyre free.
This means that the entire, or almost the entire first arc would be available to anyone who wished to play it. This content takes at least 1 to 2 weeks to finish if you're playing for the first time. This allows for the players of the game to immerse themselves in the interesting part of the game, as well as have access to a massive amount of quest lines, battles, and pvp, if they want. Also, the game would feel more complete altogether. The ending to the first arc is one that leaves all ends tied together, it allows for the ending of the arc, with all questions being answered, all conflicts being closed, and overall being a good ending to the game. However, this would not be the end of the game altogether. If they wanted to continue forward to the second arc of the game, which isnt necessary to feel a sense of completion, but will, in a sense, allow the player to explore further afield. This, alone, i believe, would bring back many, many players who stopped after wizard city, which would expand your player base a LOT, to say the least. This game is filled to the brim and beyond with content, so why not give some more of it to the free-to-plays? That might give them the incentive to buy membership, for all i know.

But then again, what DO i know?
I think all of WC should be free, with the commons area of the other worlds (up to Celestia) being free. By commons area, I mean only areas that lead to (but don't include) creatures to battle. Like in Marleybone, you could go to Digmoore station, or in Krokotopia, you could go to Well of Spirits (but not Entrance Hall), etc. This way, a friend could port to another friend (that is in the commons area) and be more encouraged to either subscribe, or purchase zones, as they would see what else is available.

Also, I think players should be able to purchase entire worlds (ie, all zones or groups of zones) at one time with a slight discount. If a player is able to purchase all of Krok in one purchase with a slight discount, vs one zone at a time, they might make that bigger purchase up front, vs maybe doing part of it and then deciding to stop progressing. (If they already have access to all of the area, they may be more inclined to finish, which may encourage them to continue playing the game. If not, then K.I. already has the income from the purchase and the player may decide to return later on, vs not at all.)

I don't support the idea of giving free access to battle areas beyond WC though, except maybe as a temporary promotional thing, like maybe a quest to gain a week of free access in all of Krokotopia, so that a player is more likely to want to complete the quests there, or to want to continue to the next world, either of which would require a purchase of some sort.

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
angellifeheart on Dec 21, 2018 wrote:
I personally think all of the wizard city should be unlocked for free to play players with the exception of Aquila.
I think Aquila (garden area) should be free, but to access the dungeons at all, you have to pay.

Delver
Dec 13, 2008
Honestly with how many worlds there are now i think making wizard city minus crab alley and Aquila f2p would be fine it wouldn't hurt anyone financially but the whole first arc no that's a bit much at most just wc should be free it'd get hype for new kids finding out this game as well as teens and adults.

Explorer
Jul 20, 2018
Fangs McWolf on Dec 21, 2018 wrote:
I think all of WC should be free, with the commons area of the other worlds (up to Celestia) being free. By commons area, I mean only areas that lead to (but don't include) creatures to battle. Like in Marleybone, you could go to Digmoore station, or in Krokotopia, you could go to Well of Spirits (but not Entrance Hall), etc. This way, a friend could port to another friend (that is in the commons area) and be more encouraged to either subscribe, or purchase zones, as they would see what else is available.

Also, I think players should be able to purchase entire worlds (ie, all zones or groups of zones) at one time with a slight discount. If a player is able to purchase all of Krok in one purchase with a slight discount, vs one zone at a time, they might make that bigger purchase up front, vs maybe doing part of it and then deciding to stop progressing. (If they already have access to all of the area, they may be more inclined to finish, which may encourage them to continue playing the game. If not, then K.I. already has the income from the purchase and the player may decide to return later on, vs not at all.)

I don't support the idea of giving free access to battle areas beyond WC though, except maybe as a temporary promotional thing, like maybe a quest to gain a week of free access in all of Krokotopia, so that a player is more likely to want to complete the quests there, or to want to continue to the next world, either of which would require a purchase of some sort.
Being able to buy a whole world in one fell swoop would definitely be a great idea that I am totally behind (listening, KI?). They would still make money while streamlining the purchasing experience for crowns users.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Wizard101 advertises heavily about its "Free to Play" style.

I'm sure this was what attracted many of us to the game to begin with.

That said, you'd think that at least an acceptable portion of the game would be as advertised "Free to Play."

So, you can only imagine the gross disappointment when young apprentices are ready to head into Cyclops Lane only to be met with that annoying "Upgrade Now" Message.

I do believe that the game can make strides for this "Free to Play" message by at least allowing Cyclops Lane and/or Firecat Alley free, just like they have done with Triton Avenue.

I feel this will provide players with enough information they'll need to decide if upgrading is worth it or not.

And, to add, conjurers won't even be able to finish their level 12 quest Mything in Action since Cyclops Lane is locked making this very unfair and disappointing to said.

and will need access to Colossus Boulevard.

Or, new accounts can possible be given the option of a trial run, where they will have a chance to do Cyclops Lane, Firecat Alley and Colossus Boulevard within a week's time or so.

Survivor
Jun 17, 2013
Kingsisle is making so much money already that they should open up the first arc because i know it took me till the end of Marleybone to get hooked in, but Kingsisle thinks that they will lose money this way, but I would say that they open up Wizard City all the way and see how it goes, and if it increases the currency (Which it will) then go to the next world and do it. Since they aren't stopping anytime soon, they should do this since it is just 5 worlds which is 1/3 of the worlds, but Wizard City isn't even 1/5 of the game so why not?
Blaze 54