Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Decent AoE for life?

1
AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 12, 2012
17
Ahem, let's please not forget that life is still waiting for a decent low pip costing AoE that doesn't require a shadow pip. And no. Attaching one leaf storm card to the kookaburra won't cut it (it's a nice spell though).

Maybe Moolinda Wu can call us back and say "hey, sorry I forgot to teach you something" and teach us a spell that summons squirrels and birds that attacks all enemies or a spell like meteor but just rocks. Something, anything!

Geographer
Aug 23, 2016
968
I love Forest Lord. It is the mainstay of my main deck. But yes, it is quite obvious that Life needs some more variety in their attack library. A lower pip AoE? Absolutely.

How many Life Mobs and Bosses constantly through Non-Life spells at you. When Luminous Weaver and Goat Monk were added just to give Life Foes something to attack with KI inadvertently acknowledged this problem.

Steven Ghoststalker
91

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
387
QueenDeathR on Mar 10, 2018 wrote:
Ahem, let's please not forget that life is still waiting for a decent low pip costing AoE that doesn't require a shadow pip. And no. Attaching one leaf storm card to the kookaburra won't cut it (it's a nice spell though).

Maybe Moolinda Wu can call us back and say "hey, sorry I forgot to teach you something" and teach us a spell that summons squirrels and birds that attacks all enemies or a spell like meteor but just rocks. Something, anything!
I know this goes against popular opinion, but I really don't think Life needs a low pip AOE... Every school has something that makes them unique, and Life's is that they have a large number of healing spells, but they have to sacrifice a 4 pip AOE in the process. A lot of people say that Life needs one, but I think they're trying to change the Life school into something that it isn't.

It seems to me that when people say that they want a school that can heal, has decent damage, resist, and a 4 pip AOE, they just don't want a challenge in the game and want to easily breeze through the content.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
1027
I believe Leaf storm would make the perfect low pip AOE spell. The damage gives a nice punch and it's within the school's nature. I truely think that spell will be a big boost for life wizards

A+ Student
Jan 18, 2010
1895
Definitely!

Or at least allow us to craft such a spell with the requirements not being too outrageous.

Sounds like a good idea to this year's Anniversary Plans to me.


Explorer
Sep 20, 2017
93
Hoping we don't have much longer to wait.

In the same breath, I'd love to see the spell be at least available to craft.

A quest sending us to do so sounds charming too


A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
1842
Neither the Life nor the Death schools have innate low level AoE spells. This was supposed to be a feature of how the Spirit schools operate, though Myth did get a low level AoE because it is a more damage-focused school. Life and Death were supposed to be more focused on healing or stealing health.

Because they have no AoE in the first arc, Life and Death are kind of tedious to play but eventually both do get a spell. Unfortunately, they are both high cost spells so these two schools are at a disadvantage in the high-damage, low pip cost environment we face starting in Azteca and beyond.

Death's disadvantage was corrected by adding Deer Knight. Life is still waiting....

The single-hit low-pip spells like Goat Monk do help Life wizards, but it's frustrating to have no other AoE option up until Darkmoor - and then the Wings of Fate spell is not loved because it eats up traps/feints. (Personally, I love Wings of Fate as a healer/shield-buster spell, but that's because I use it like a Fire uses Power Link. I know a lot of Life wizards are not as enchanted with it as I am.)

Therefore, I agree that Leaf Storm is the perfect option for a low-pip Life AoE and should be available as a crafted or dropped spell. Please KI...?

Alia Misthaven, 122
Sophia Soulmender, 82

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
1027
BrahmShadow on Mar 10, 2018 wrote:
I know this goes against popular opinion, but I really don't think Life needs a low pip AOE... Every school has something that makes them unique, and Life's is that they have a large number of healing spells, but they have to sacrifice a 4 pip AOE in the process. A lot of people say that Life needs one, but I think they're trying to change the Life school into something that it isn't.

It seems to me that when people say that they want a school that can heal, has decent damage, resist, and a 4 pip AOE, they just don't want a challenge in the game and want to easily breeze through the content.
The last 4 lines in your post is not entirely true. Many people playing a life wizard are having a difficult time keeping their character alive until they get Forest Lord. Who wants to keep dying? Dying a lot may be called challenging to some, but may not to others. I'm Life and I want a decent damaging 4 pip AOE on my wizard. Does that mean I want to easily breeze thought the game instead of a challenge? I do not. Sure Life can heal but every heal cast takes pips away from your attack spells. Giving life a lower pip AOE will not chance it's own school. It's just giving a better survival rating when going solo. Yes Life are healers but they have to survive too. As long as that school can give life through all it's healing spells, the school in not going to change to something that isn't.

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
387
Patrick Ravenbane on Mar 11, 2018 wrote:
The last 4 lines in your post is not entirely true. Many people playing a life wizard are having a difficult time keeping their character alive until they get Forest Lord. Who wants to keep dying? Dying a lot may be called challenging to some, but may not to others. I'm Life and I want a decent damaging 4 pip AOE on my wizard. Does that mean I want to easily breeze thought the game instead of a challenge? I do not. Sure Life can heal but every heal cast takes pips away from your attack spells. Giving life a lower pip AOE will not chance it's own school. It's just giving a better survival rating when going solo. Yes Life are healers but they have to survive too. As long as that school can give life through all it's healing spells, the school in not going to change to something that isn't.
I don't really have much to say to this, except that this was extensively debated last year in this thread here. (We even talked a little bit about it there too :P )

I'm going to stick by my belief that a 4 pip Life AOE will negatively impact the game and change the Life school into something it isn't. You can say that it won't, but all these little changes do add up. All the little stuff didn't affect the Ice school, but when they all added up, Ice became unrecognizable to how it used to be back then. I really don't think a 4 pip AOE for Life is needed for soloing, and if you're unable to survive in the upper levels without one, then I really doubt you will suddenly be able to solo with a 4 pip AOE.

I won't be responding to this thread anymore since all my thoughts are in the previous thread.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
1027
BrahmShadow on Mar 12, 2018 wrote:
I don't really have much to say to this, except that this was extensively debated last year in this thread here. (We even talked a little bit about it there too :P )

I'm going to stick by my belief that a 4 pip Life AOE will negatively impact the game and change the Life school into something it isn't. You can say that it won't, but all these little changes do add up. All the little stuff didn't affect the Ice school, but when they all added up, Ice became unrecognizable to how it used to be back then. I really don't think a 4 pip AOE for Life is needed for soloing, and if you're unable to survive in the upper levels without one, then I really doubt you will suddenly be able to solo with a 4 pip AOE.

I won't be responding to this thread anymore since all my thoughts are in the previous thread.
You may believe what you want to believe according to how well you personally can survive with the strategy you use comfortably. Not everyone is you. Not everyone has your knack in battle survival skills. What gear you use or how you set your deck doesn't always cut it. The game is not just for the best and most skillful players. That's why battles and worlds were and still being nerfed and more craftable spells are being added at various levels for a wizards choice to use Yes, little things do add up but as long as it's within their school with it's original practice such as a Life, the nature of that wizard is not going to change unless you consider improvement is changing. 4 pip Life AOE such as Leaf Storm will not negatively impact the game. In fact it will be a nice addition to improve Life's survival rating while going solo and that will attract more players who wants to play life without maybe deleting their wizard in higher levels. I don't know how often and how many different people you help quest or team-up with but if you heard around as much as I did about people playing a Life Wizard, you'll know why a lower pips AOE is needed. As a Note: Kingsisle is not going to let anything bad happen to Wizard101. I have faith in them. I strongly believe they will do every thing they can to keep this game going.

Survivor
Jan 12, 2012
17
BrahmShadow on Mar 10, 2018 wrote:
I know this goes against popular opinion, but I really don't think Life needs a low pip AOE... Every school has something that makes them unique, and Life's is that they have a large number of healing spells, but they have to sacrifice a 4 pip AOE in the process. A lot of people say that Life needs one, but I think they're trying to change the Life school into something that it isn't.

It seems to me that when people say that they want a school that can heal, has decent damage, resist, and a 4 pip AOE, they just don't want a challenge in the game and want to easily breeze through the content.
Well I don't think a four pip AoE would be too effective in the newer worlds or would take away the challenge in things. It would just make it faster if you're trying to help lower players quest or if you're actually a full-time life player. But I respect your opinion to an extent.

Survivor
Jan 12, 2012
17
Patrick Ravenbane on Mar 10, 2018 wrote:
I believe Leaf storm would make the perfect low pip AOE spell. The damage gives a nice punch and it's within the school's nature. I truely think that spell will be a big boost for life wizards
Exactly!! It needs to be trainable.

Survivor
Jan 12, 2012
17
Star Edward on Mar 10, 2018 wrote:
Definitely!

Or at least allow us to craft such a spell with the requirements not being too outrageous.

Sounds like a good idea to this year's Anniversary Plans to me.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Survivor
Jan 12, 2012
17
Freshta on Mar 11, 2018 wrote:
Neither the Life nor the Death schools have innate low level AoE spells. This was supposed to be a feature of how the Spirit schools operate, though Myth did get a low level AoE because it is a more damage-focused school. Life and Death were supposed to be more focused on healing or stealing health.

Because they have no AoE in the first arc, Life and Death are kind of tedious to play but eventually both do get a spell. Unfortunately, they are both high cost spells so these two schools are at a disadvantage in the high-damage, low pip cost environment we face starting in Azteca and beyond.

Death's disadvantage was corrected by adding Deer Knight. Life is still waiting....

The single-hit low-pip spells like Goat Monk do help Life wizards, but it's frustrating to have no other AoE option up until Darkmoor - and then the Wings of Fate spell is not loved because it eats up traps/feints. (Personally, I love Wings of Fate as a healer/shield-buster spell, but that's because I use it like a Fire uses Power Link. I know a lot of Life wizards are not as enchanted with it as I am.)

Therefore, I agree that Leaf Storm is the perfect option for a low-pip Life AoE and should be available as a crafted or dropped spell. Please KI...?

Alia Misthaven, 122
Sophia Soulmender, 82
I agree! Please KI. Make leaf storm trainable.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
2225
BrahmShadow on Mar 12, 2018 wrote:
I don't really have much to say to this, except that this was extensively debated last year in this thread here. (We even talked a little bit about it there too :P )

I'm going to stick by my belief that a 4 pip Life AOE will negatively impact the game and change the Life school into something it isn't. You can say that it won't, but all these little changes do add up. All the little stuff didn't affect the Ice school, but when they all added up, Ice became unrecognizable to how it used to be back then. I really don't think a 4 pip AOE for Life is needed for soloing, and if you're unable to survive in the upper levels without one, then I really doubt you will suddenly be able to solo with a 4 pip AOE.

I won't be responding to this thread anymore since all my thoughts are in the previous thread.
I know you wont see this, but I wanted to make an overall point.

Does life need a 4 pip AoE in the upper levels? No, because Forest lord is a GREAT spell.

What it needs is one lower on, that can help soloing. I have always felt, since playing my life, that an earlier AoE would be a good thing. it should fall in line damage wise with the rest of its other spells, and should be outmatched by Forest Lord when we get it. Once you get Forest Lord, AoE1's usage SHOULD die off. For pure damage:

Power Nova outdoes Ra
Scarecrow outdoes Khrulhu
Dragon outdoes Meteor
Frost Giant outdoes Blizzard
Earthquake outdoes Frog
Storm Lord outdoes Tempest

Every other school has at least one additional AoE before you get shadow magic.

Forest Lord outdoes nothing, and nothing outdoes Forest Lord with regular spells. I dont count shadow enhanced spells, because it doesnt address the problem, though it does beat FL.

There have been many posts on this forum that point to inadequacies with one school or another. Life and the 4 pip AoE, Storm and Catch of the Day, Death and the Minion Spell (X-pip, and AoE as well), ice/myth and a 1 step healing spell, balance and the lack of weakness breaking, etc. These are all aspects of each school which players feel need to be changed. As I've pointed out before, Ice, who is supposed to be the mostly defensive school, has more AoEs than Life does. Ice has 6 (2 are shadow enhanced), Life has 3 (2 are shadow enhanced). Those 2 schools have similar styles (less offensive) yet ice blows life away in regards to total AoE.

Defender
Apr 14, 2014
111
Maybe Leafstorm could become craftable.

I don't know if it's a good idea, since most craftable spells are hard to craft for those who don't have membership/don't do pvp. Maybe it could be acquired in other ways like a side quest for life wizards only in an earlier world, but that would change how much one would want to train kookaburra up to adult.

Maybe in that case, Kingsisle could change the spell kookaburra gets at adult.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
2225
dayerider on Mar 13, 2018 wrote:
I know you wont see this, but I wanted to make an overall point.

Does life need a 4 pip AoE in the upper levels? No, because Forest lord is a GREAT spell.

What it needs is one lower on, that can help soloing. I have always felt, since playing my life, that an earlier AoE would be a good thing. it should fall in line damage wise with the rest of its other spells, and should be outmatched by Forest Lord when we get it. Once you get Forest Lord, AoE1's usage SHOULD die off. For pure damage:

Power Nova outdoes Ra
Scarecrow outdoes Khrulhu
Dragon outdoes Meteor
Frost Giant outdoes Blizzard
Earthquake outdoes Frog
Storm Lord outdoes Tempest

Every other school has at least one additional AoE before you get shadow magic.

Forest Lord outdoes nothing, and nothing outdoes Forest Lord with regular spells. I dont count shadow enhanced spells, because it doesnt address the problem, though it does beat FL.

There have been many posts on this forum that point to inadequacies with one school or another. Life and the 4 pip AoE, Storm and Catch of the Day, Death and the Minion Spell (X-pip, and AoE as well), ice/myth and a 1 step healing spell, balance and the lack of weakness breaking, etc. These are all aspects of each school which players feel need to be changed. As I've pointed out before, Ice, who is supposed to be the mostly defensive school, has more AoEs than Life does. Ice has 6 (2 are shadow enhanced), Life has 3 (2 are shadow enhanced). Those 2 schools have similar styles (less offensive) yet ice blows life away in regards to total AoE.
This SHOULD have said:

Ra outdoes Power Nova
Khrulhu outdoes Scarecrow

Survivor
Jan 19, 2015
19
I've never played as a life wizard, but I can't help thinking that monstrology must be pretty difficult without a cheap trained AoE. Especially for going back through the lower-level worlds (like collecting Lady Blackhope animus for the Monstrodome), it must be a pain having to take out enemies one at a time or waiting for the pips for Forest Lord, considering that every other school can do it in just one turn.
Also, as far as I know, you can't use treasure cards or item cards for monstrology (but I may be wrong here).

Delver
Mar 10, 2015
218
Life should never get AOE spells because life is a healer class. Classes are made for different purposes.

Storm, fire, death: are the damage and hence wise get aoe spells.

Life, ice and myth are support and should not. Ice and myth should consider them selves lucky to get one. Life doing the least damage should never have even gotten forest lord.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
1027
Lukeskywalker1313 on Mar 24, 2018 wrote:
Life should never get AOE spells because life is a healer class. Classes are made for different purposes.

Storm, fire, death: are the damage and hence wise get aoe spells.

Life, ice and myth are support and should not. Ice and myth should consider them selves lucky to get one. Life doing the least damage should never have even gotten forest lord.
What? I disagree about what you said " Life doing least damage should never have even gotten Forest Lord" Yes Life is a healer but they need to survive too while going solo and many of those playing that school are having a hard time winning battles until they get Forest Lord. Every school deserves an AOE spell or 2 no matter what they are. Life will always be the healer as long as they keep their spells.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
1842
Lukeskywalker1313 on Mar 24, 2018 wrote:
Life should never get AOE spells because life is a healer class. Classes are made for different purposes.

Storm, fire, death: are the damage and hence wise get aoe spells.

Life, ice and myth are support and should not. Ice and myth should consider them selves lucky to get one. Life doing the least damage should never have even gotten forest lord.
I think you've failed to see the implications of your own argument here...

The main support schools are Balance and Life. Ice, Death, and Myth can be played as support or take on a damage role. Balance is the very definition of a support school and has multiple AoEs, yet you didn't even mention Balance at all. For the record, Balance has five AoE spells by the end of the game.

The main damage schools are Storm, Fire and Myth. If you look at the damage output on their spells per pip, Myth clearly ranks as a damage school. Storm, the ultimate 'damage school,' also has five AoE spells by the end of the game. Fire has seven.

If having access to multiple AoE's means "Damage school" to you, then you should realize that Ice beats Death. They have five AoE spells by end game, far more than Death. Death only has three AoEs (four, if you include the crafted Deer Knight).

Furthermore, the schools that dominate in today's damage-heavy era of PVP are Balance, Ice and Fire. Two of these are supposedly "support schools," yet they can destroy the so-called "damage" schools like Storm and, as you ranked it, Death. Storm and Death come in at the lowest ranks in the current PVP climate.

So to recap, let's rank the schools by number of AoE damage spells they have by level 125:

Fire: 7
Storm: 5
Ice: 5
Balance: 5
Myth: 4
Death: 4
Life: 3

If you're suggesting that Life should be on par with other support schools like Ice and Myth (not to mention Balance, the ultimate support school!), then you must mean Life should have 4 or 5 AoEs like all those other "support schools" have.

Alia Misthaven

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
2225
Lukeskywalker1313 on Mar 24, 2018 wrote:
Life should never get AOE spells because life is a healer class. Classes are made for different purposes.

Storm, fire, death: are the damage and hence wise get aoe spells.

Life, ice and myth are support and should not. Ice and myth should consider them selves lucky to get one. Life doing the least damage should never have even gotten forest lord.
Well, if we look at it that way:

Storm should lose all of its defensive and healing capabilities, because, after all, storm is an offensive only school
Life should be the ONLY school to get any bonuses to healing (inbound or outbound)
Nobody else should have a DoT except Fire
Nobody else should have minions except Myth
Ice should never have attack spells and is the only school that should have shields
Balance should be the ONLY school to have every type of spell (HoT, Heal All, DoT, AoE, single hit, buffs, shields, weaknesses, etc) because it's a suppoerter, and thus needs to have access to every type of spell.
Myth would only be a support school IF minions actually MATTERED for most of the game which they dont. Balance is more of a support school.

See how silly that all sounds? I'm sorry, but your comment sounds like somebody who is mad that they lost in a PvP match to FL. If I'm wrong, my apologies, but that is what it SOUNDS like.

ALL schools should be sustainable as a solo playing style, however they should not all have the same chances. Life having an AoE earlier on gives it staying power early on. It does NOT make it Storm, Fire, Myth, or any other school, it just makes it EASIER to solo. Notice I didn't say EASY. A weaker AoE doesnt OHK, it just means it can hit all enemies.

People need to stop pigeonholing all the schools and realize the schools have evolved a LOT since the game was created.

Geographer
Aug 23, 2016
968
Yes, let's take away Life's one and only AoE spell because it is a support school. (at least through level 90)

Let's make every mob fight 16 rounds long for the soloing life player as we attempt to heal ourselves while buffing with blades and traps to take out one opponent at a time.

I get that Death School can "steal" an opponents health but it sure yanks my chain when I struggle to stay healthy while fending off multiple hits each round saving up for Forest Lord, only to see a Death School Wizard Attack and Heal in the same round.

Steven Ghoststalker
91

Delver
Mar 10, 2015
218
I complete agree with that. It's the way the game should be in my opinion. Class should matter at the core. A little change of colour and change of animation does NOT make a class unique. Sure storm may do a little more, fire a little less- that does not matter. With the amount of tools at our hands there is no excuse for having classs that play same.

Storm should be glass canon with almost no healing or health

Life should be life: no damage only healing with no aoe

Fire is a aoe class- it should have no single hits that are not dots
Myth should only focus on minions and they should be op
Balance should have no skills but blades and minimum damage
Ice should have 0 dmamge but be almost immune, and it should most be a shielder
Death should be very weak: but have very high heal

I completely disagree, the classes have a trinity system for a reason. It's not GW2 be what you want to be. Classes are meant for team work, and it should be a STRUGGLE to use them on your own. That's the core point. Wizard101 is a strategy game. STRATEGY GAME. Does not come from having every single mechanic the same.

I think I made my point

Explorer
Nov 18, 2010
95
I do understand and I am Life but isn't that kind of the encouragement of training second school? I always get people laughing saying "LOL you wasted training points on the Storm School and crowns on a mastery" well yes I did and if it wasn't for Sirens, Tempest and Morganthe's Requiem I would probably still be back in Marleybone.

1