Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Charm/Ward display.

AuthorMessage
Delver
Mar 13, 2010
299
Displays do not take auras into account.

The feature seems to work for blades shields, stackables.

Fortify, Amplify, Aztecan Damage auras, Conviction, Vengeance, Infallible are ignored.

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
545
Maybe KI felt auras were easily distinguishable where as the stackable blades, shields and traps were not. I'd kinda like to see auras in the displays, simply for the sake of completeness. It is pretty counter-intuitive to leave auras out, all things considered.

Illuminator
Mar 31, 2009
1270
Squire
Jun 13, 2011
503
Hmm... perhaps auras needs inclusion to the combat display?

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
2228
IMO, auras arent needed since they already have their own designation and you can only have one aura at a time

Illuminator
Mar 31, 2009
1270
It still would be nice, so when I'm calculate'n me damage output I don't forget the Aura. Just saying.....

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
415
If auras were stackable I could see the argument for their inclusion. As you can only have one at anytime you should be able to identify which one you've used. After a certain amount of charms or wards, negative and positive you don't know what the heck is going on.
.

Illuminator
Mar 31, 2009
1270
There is a section for Global Spells so your argument is null and void.

After all I've seen Auras be described as a personal Global spell that lasts for a few rounds.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4162
exp613 on Jul 24, 2016 wrote:
There is a section for Global Spells so your argument is null and void.

After all I've seen Auras be described as a personal Global spell that lasts for a few rounds.
Not really. Global Spells are questionable because they can look the same with different effects and can be placed by anyone. Auras can only be cast on you by you or your pet, so you know what it is, there's no question.

Delver
Mar 13, 2010
299
Necessary? Probably not. Why and include an unfinished feature, though?

If the point is to itemize all non-gear modifiers that affect a player's stats, auras should be included. What logical argument can be made for excluding them, except laziness? It's not necessary because we can figure it out - but technically, we can figure out all of the things that it does display as well. IMO, do it completely or don't bother.

I didn't think to test bubbles (Namaste/Sanctuary etc. . .) Thursday and Test closed long before I was home on Friday. Are those stat modifeirs displayed? If so, it certainly seems that auras not displayed is an oversight rather than an intentional omission.

In any case, I think their exclusion is a Bug.

Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
361
exp613 on Jul 24, 2016 wrote:
There is a section for Global Spells so your argument is null and void.

After all I've seen Auras be described as a personal Global spell that lasts for a few rounds.
I think the reason Global Spells are included is because it's hard to distinguish the globals you learn from your professor and the globals you learn in the Radiant Alcazar in Khrysalis. However, I do think auras should be included just for the sake of it.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
2228
PaigeGoldenspear on Jul 24, 2016 wrote:
Necessary? Probably not. Why and include an unfinished feature, though?

If the point is to itemize all non-gear modifiers that affect a player's stats, auras should be included. What logical argument can be made for excluding them, except laziness? It's not necessary because we can figure it out - but technically, we can figure out all of the things that it does display as well. IMO, do it completely or don't bother.

I didn't think to test bubbles (Namaste/Sanctuary etc. . .) Thursday and Test closed long before I was home on Friday. Are those stat modifeirs displayed? If so, it certainly seems that auras not displayed is an oversight rather than an intentional omission.

In any case, I think their exclusion is a Bug.
I dont see it as unfinished, I see it as unneeded. Auras already have a section where it tells you what you have and how many rounds are left. Why is it needed to add it to the new display? As for figuring it out, not by the display alone. The old display had absolutely no differentiation between blades. In my other post, I talked about my 5 school blades (1 item blade form jewels, 1 item blade from pet, school taught blade, sharpened school taught blade, and tc blade). Using that, you have 5 blades spinning around that you can't ell which is which by the display alone. If you carry enough blades for 2 attacks, you could easily have:

1 item card blade from pet
2 item card blades from jewels
2 school taught blades
2 sharpened school taught blades
2 tc blades

9 blades that ALL look the same. This is why the feature was added, after many of us asked. if auras were stackable, I would 100% be on your side here, but since you can only have one aura, they don't need to be added. and yes, I agree that global rings SHOULD be included since we have ones that look the same and have different effects.

Your comment about "non gear modifiers" is incorrect. The reason for the display being there is so you know what stuff modifies your attack, that cant be distinguished any other way. You can feel free to disagree with me, I have no problem with that. I'm simply stating my opinion is all.

Delver
Mar 13, 2010
299
You can't visually tell whether it's TC or normal-pet Fortify, though. What happens if you cast TC and your pet triggers while you are afk? You think it's 20 and it's only 15. (As for global bubbles, they don't look that much alike. I can tell Namaste from Sanctuary)

Something *is* better than nothing, and you're right aura inclusion might be not 100% necessary, but it is logical and would certainly be helpful. Why not have all of the modifiers in the same place in order to allow more convenient calculation? If we're going to look two places to figure out our stats, why not just keep using the chat box as a record of what has been cast?

Why add a convenience update that could be more convenient?

*I* absolutely will consider this an unfinished and unpolished addition if it is not updated to include all modifiers.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
2228
PaigeGoldenspear on Jul 26, 2016 wrote:
You can't visually tell whether it's TC or normal-pet Fortify, though. What happens if you cast TC and your pet triggers while you are afk? You think it's 20 and it's only 15. (As for global bubbles, they don't look that much alike. I can tell Namaste from Sanctuary)

Something *is* better than nothing, and you're right aura inclusion might be not 100% necessary, but it is logical and would certainly be helpful. Why not have all of the modifiers in the same place in order to allow more convenient calculation? If we're going to look two places to figure out our stats, why not just keep using the chat box as a record of what has been cast?

Why add a convenience update that could be more convenient?

*I* absolutely will consider this an unfinished and unpolished addition if it is not updated to include all modifiers.
but once again, you cant stack those. I get your point about the difference, but since they dont stack, and that's the whole point of the feature, I dont feel like it's needed. See, YOU can tell the difference between namaste and sanctuary, but how many others cant? I guess KI should have a poll about these two options since it could be argued both for and against both of these. As for the aura modifiers being in the same place, they are actually, you just have to look about 1/10th of an inch away from that screen to find out where that info is listed. Also, perhaps this is the START of a feature, and not the END of it. Maybe they already have plans for auras and bubbles that we dont know about. We cant assume that this is the final product. Everybody has their thing that they feel should be improved, even when most others dont, and this clearly is your thing. Keep debating it, and we'll just have to adopt a wait and see attitude for now. I'll say this right now though, it certainly wouldnt "break the game" in my opinion to add it, I just dont see the point

Illuminator
Mar 31, 2009
1270
Global Bubbles "don't stack" either and they are included. I agree with Page's Viewpoint that TC vs Pet Vs Normal Star Spells. I still feel that it is incomplete to not include Auras with the rest. Those that want it will greatly benefit from it and those that don't- what's the big deal? It won't hurt you. As far as Global Bubbles, some are easier to figure out than others, but some can be difficult. With the recent Star Aura Upgrades, I think that people are going to have a harder time figuring those out too. (Was that Fortify or Brace?)

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
2228
once again, this may be the START of a feature and not the whole finished product. Maybe they'll add more later. All features have to start somewhere, and they RARELY are everything we want right off the bat. Perhaps some patience is needed and give KI enough time to implement things.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
415
exp613 on Jul 28, 2016 wrote:
Global Bubbles "don't stack" either and they are included. I agree with Page's Viewpoint that TC vs Pet Vs Normal Star Spells. I still feel that it is incomplete to not include Auras with the rest. Those that want it will greatly benefit from it and those that don't- what's the big deal? It won't hurt you. As far as Global Bubbles, some are easier to figure out than others, but some can be difficult. With the recent Star Aura Upgrades, I think that people are going to have a harder time figuring those out too. (Was that Fortify or Brace?)
I'm not sure anyone here has stated that they don't want aura's to be included. In fact I think everyone would be just fine with it if it was. What I, and a few others believe is that we understand why it was not included. Global spells indeed do not stack, however they can be changed by anyone and can't be easily discerned what they are. Where as aura's can be changed by only you or your pet (as has been stated previously) .

Aura's are not globals, they are aura's.

You should know what's in your deck, you put it there. So if there is an aura on you either you cast it yourself, or your pet did. There can only be one, so how do you not know what it is? If you happen to be afk and your pet casts, then you should know there is a new aura on you because of how many rounds are now left. If you cast an aura then walked away and missed a round and you come back to find you still have four rounds left well guess what just happened last round.

The reason the feature was added is because many players were asking for a way to identify the charms and wards on them. After a certain point there is no way to visually identify what is on you. Globals seem like a natural extension lf this feature as there are more then one with the same color. And while you may not be able to visually identify an aura there is little reason for you to have to. You should already know what it is.

Delver
Mar 13, 2010
299
Mr Talon on Jul 29, 2016 wrote:
I'm not sure anyone here has stated that they don't want aura's to be included. In fact I think everyone would be just fine with it if it was. What I, and a few others believe is that we understand why it was not included. Global spells indeed do not stack, however they can be changed by anyone and can't be easily discerned what they are. Where as aura's can be changed by only you or your pet (as has been stated previously) .

Aura's are not globals, they are aura's.

You should know what's in your deck, you put it there. So if there is an aura on you either you cast it yourself, or your pet did. There can only be one, so how do you not know what it is? If you happen to be afk and your pet casts, then you should know there is a new aura on you because of how many rounds are now left. If you cast an aura then walked away and missed a round and you come back to find you still have four rounds left well guess what just happened last round.

The reason the feature was added is because many players were asking for a way to identify the charms and wards on them. After a certain point there is no way to visually identify what is on you. Globals seem like a natural extension lf this feature as there are more then one with the same color. And while you may not be able to visually identify an aura there is little reason for you to have to. You should already know what it is.
You say it yourself. Players wanted an easy way to identify charms and wards on them. Why omit one just because it's easier to remember than the others? It's still a charm or ward. When I participated in threads requesting this feature, I absolutely expected all charms and wards to be included. I didn't specify because it was obvious to me that all modifiers would be included, even if they were otherwise discernable.

Unless there's a valid reason why it shouldn't be included - not a reason why we can live without it, but why it breaks a feature - I can't understand the omission. If it doesn't break it, but enhances it, why would it be omitted? How does not having to click a second time, or it being slightly easier to remember a specific modifier break a feature?

Regardless, I'm done. If most are fine with "Hey, here's a listing of what is affecting your hit/tanking. Except that thing. You have to remember that thing. No good reason except it's just slightly easier to remember, so, ha, go do it." If we don't expect more, we're not going to get more. Clearly we're not going to get more.

Just once I'd hoped to be delighted.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
415
PaigeGoldenspear on Jul 31, 2016 wrote:
You say it yourself. Players wanted an easy way to identify charms and wards on them. Why omit one just because it's easier to remember than the others? It's still a charm or ward. When I participated in threads requesting this feature, I absolutely expected all charms and wards to be included. I didn't specify because it was obvious to me that all modifiers would be included, even if they were otherwise discernable.

Unless there's a valid reason why it shouldn't be included - not a reason why we can live without it, but why it breaks a feature - I can't understand the omission. If it doesn't break it, but enhances it, why would it be omitted? How does not having to click a second time, or it being slightly easier to remember a specific modifier break a feature?

Regardless, I'm done. If most are fine with "Hey, here's a listing of what is affecting your hit/tanking. Except that thing. You have to remember that thing. No good reason except it's just slightly easier to remember, so, ha, go do it." If we don't expect more, we're not going to get more. Clearly we're not going to get more.

Just once I'd hoped to be delighted.
An aura is not treated as a charm or ward, or even a global which is sometimes treated as a charm. I think that's where the problem is.

Auras are magical energy that surround and protect or strengthen the Wizard. Auras are unique and different from other magic in that they can't be stacked, broken, or dispelled

So if you wanted an easy way to identify charms and wards, that's exactly what was delivered.

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Basic:Spell_Types#Aura

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
613
Mr Talon on Aug 1, 2016 wrote:
An aura is not treated as a charm or ward, or even a global which is sometimes treated as a charm. I think that's where the problem is.

Auras are magical energy that surround and protect or strengthen the Wizard. Auras are unique and different from other magic in that they can't be stacked, broken, or dispelled

So if you wanted an easy way to identify charms and wards, that's exactly what was delivered.

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Basic:Spell_Types#Aura
But this feature isn't just for Charms or Wards. The update notes state:

Second, it’s been an often requested feature that players be able to see a list of all the charms, wards, and other effects that are applied to their characters during combat.

Auras are "other effects" that are applied to our characters during combat.

Chastisement and Punishment are a perfect example of why the auras should be included. If you have both loaded in your deck and you forget which one you cast, you may want to know which schools of damage you're more vulnerable to. Maybe you clicked on the wrong one (or it was the only one that came up at the time), and the one you want has come up. Do you cast it, or skip it? Sure you should remember which one you cast; just like you should remember which blades and traps you've cast. But this feature was added as a reminder because not everybody does all the time.

Also, this feature affects enemies. When you mouse over enemies, you can see what they have on them as well. It might be nice to know which auras they have up. I don't have a widescreen monitor, and the game doesn't adjust properly. Numbers so often don't appear on the screen when auras, blades, traps, or even damage from some attacks are cast on certain circles at the top or side; they're cut off because the display doesn't adjust to fit everything on the screen.

I think auras should be included. Maybe they need to do a bit more work to make it happen, but it is something that should be included to complete the feature.

Administrator
Just a heads up!

So, as it turns out auras are a bit more difficult to add to the list of charms and wards. We're going to investigate adding auras to the list, but that improvement isn't going to make it in to the game until a future update.

Thanks all!

Delver
Mar 13, 2010
299
Squire
Jun 13, 2011
503
Dworgyn on Aug 1, 2016 wrote:
Just a heads up!

So, as it turns out auras are a bit more difficult to add to the list of charms and wards. We're going to investigate adding auras to the list, but that improvement isn't going to make it in to the game until a future update.

Thanks all!
Okay. Take your time in doing that. We won't mind at all.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
2228
Dworgyn on Aug 1, 2016 wrote:
Just a heads up!

So, as it turns out auras are a bit more difficult to add to the list of charms and wards. We're going to investigate adding auras to the list, but that improvement isn't going to make it in to the game until a future update.

Thanks all!
thanks for the update :)