Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why you feel waterworks gear is the best

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
935
I have seen more times than i can count on these forums people saying they think the ww gear is the best you can wear. I disagree with this immensly. My reasoning is simple after zafaria you dont even need a crit rating anymore because all mobs crit block is crazy high, So lets think for a second if you dont need a crit rating and the only reason ww gear was good prior to level 70 was because it gave a good crit rate along with ok stats but if we dont need crit rating anymore and the stats are just ok i personally traded my ww gear in for a mix of crowns,bazaar,crafted gear and even though i have a zero crit now my other stats rock. Resist and crit block is needed badly in the second arc so i traded crit for block an resists.

So what does everyone else like about the ww gear that makes them think its the best?

Defender
Dec 20, 2010
169
I use it all the time for one reason, it gives a better balance between attack and resist. Most of the newer gear is geared towards two or three schools. For example, the storm gear will have extra ice and fire resist but leaves you open to myth, balance, and death. The new gear also requires you to give up something to gain something else. To gain more attack bonus, you wind up losing resist (or something else). Waterworks gear the resist is global, meaning it protects you against all schools. Just my opinion.

And yes, critical bonus has pretty much become obsolete with the release of Azteca although it does "get through" once in a blue moon. Even since Avalon, it is pointless to even think you might go critical on your attack. Way too many people depend on critical bonus, only to be disappointed when it doesn't happen.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
935
OldStormWizard on Feb 16, 2013 wrote:
I use it all the time for one reason, it gives a better balance between attack and resist. Most of the newer gear is geared towards two or three schools. For example, the storm gear will have extra ice and fire resist but leaves you open to myth, balance, and death. The new gear also requires you to give up something to gain something else. To gain more attack bonus, you wind up losing resist (or something else). Waterworks gear the resist is global, meaning it protects you against all schools. Just my opinion.

And yes, critical bonus has pretty much become obsolete with the release of Azteca although it does "get through" once in a blue moon. Even since Avalon, it is pointless to even think you might go critical on your attack. Way too many people depend on critical bonus, only to be disappointed when it doesn't happen.
See i use crown and pack gear because it gives a much better balance than the ww gear.

Defender
Feb 24, 2012
192
I think the works gear is junk. I dont wear it. As others have said the crit is not needed anymore so why bother with works gear.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3172
lastdaysgunslinger on Feb 14, 2013 wrote:
I have seen more times than i can count on these forums people saying they think the ww gear is the best you can wear. I disagree with this immensly. My reasoning is simple after zafaria you dont even need a crit rating anymore because all mobs crit block is crazy high, So lets think for a second if you dont need a crit rating and the only reason ww gear was good prior to level 70 was because it gave a good crit rate along with ok stats but if we dont need crit rating anymore and the stats are just ok i personally traded my ww gear in for a mix of crowns,bazaar,crafted gear and even though i have a zero crit now my other stats rock. Resist and crit block is needed badly in the second arc so i traded crit for block an resists.

So what does everyone else like about the ww gear that makes them think its the best?
it has the most-balanced stats in all areas, for all schools.

in the upper-level worlds, the crafted gear is iffy at best~ you get a ton of critical points and school block, at the expense of more universal stats.

my promethean balance wizard wears her ww hat and cape, but uses a set of random crowns boots i found in my shared bank; i crafted some avalon gear for her and she gained a ton of elemental/spirit-school-only crit block, but lost damage, pips, and all of her resistance. as with your wizard, her critical rating is not that high, but her other stats rock... by balance standards, she is a machine.

valerian, my archmage necromancer, is still in his full ww set as well; sestiva, my legendary diviner who's in zafaria, has yet to see her robe, so i paired her skyscream hat and boots with the wintertusk crafted robe... and, at level 64, sestiva has better stats than most level 90 storm wizards i run across. her damage is higher, as are her resist and pips. still working on block, but i need to level her up to 65 before i can access the next gear tier (yep, i made a rhyme, tee hee).

/my 2 cents.

-von

Survivor
Sep 05, 2010
36
lastdaysgunslinger on Feb 14, 2013 wrote:
I have seen more times than i can count on these forums people saying they think the ww gear is the best you can wear. I disagree with this immensly. My reasoning is simple after zafaria you dont even need a crit rating anymore because all mobs crit block is crazy high, So lets think for a second if you dont need a crit rating and the only reason ww gear was good prior to level 70 was because it gave a good crit rate along with ok stats but if we dont need crit rating anymore and the stats are just ok i personally traded my ww gear in for a mix of crowns,bazaar,crafted gear and even though i have a zero crit now my other stats rock. Resist and crit block is needed badly in the second arc so i traded crit for block an resists.

So what does everyone else like about the ww gear that makes them think its the best?
I disagree about people saying "WaterWorks gear is the best" too. The "best gear" isn't in the Crown Shop or the Bazaar. It is crafting gear. I read this in 2013, so that means two new worlds came out: Avalon and Azteca. If someone wanted the "best gear" they should go to Dun Dara and craft from a guy with blue scratches on his face. (That is if they are doing that now because they didn't have Avalon or Azteca yet when you wrote yours.) I hoped this helped for anyone who wants good gear.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
1357
Who uses waterworks anymore... It's so outdated. Crafted gear is the best stuff at the moment.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
935
Dr Von on Feb 17, 2013 wrote:
it has the most-balanced stats in all areas, for all schools.

in the upper-level worlds, the crafted gear is iffy at best~ you get a ton of critical points and school block, at the expense of more universal stats.

my promethean balance wizard wears her ww hat and cape, but uses a set of random crowns boots i found in my shared bank; i crafted some avalon gear for her and she gained a ton of elemental/spirit-school-only crit block, but lost damage, pips, and all of her resistance. as with your wizard, her critical rating is not that high, but her other stats rock... by balance standards, she is a machine.

valerian, my archmage necromancer, is still in his full ww set as well; sestiva, my legendary diviner who's in zafaria, has yet to see her robe, so i paired her skyscream hat and boots with the wintertusk crafted robe... and, at level 64, sestiva has better stats than most level 90 storm wizards i run across. her damage is higher, as are her resist and pips. still working on block, but i need to level her up to 65 before i can access the next gear tier (yep, i made a rhyme, tee hee).

/my 2 cents.

-von
Von you need to start checking out the crown shop and higher level crafted gear. In all seriousness you can gain much more balance with your wizard. When you take that crit rating out of the picture the waterworks gear falls short to the other stuff everyones bein saying about.

My stats are through the roof right now and i dont wear any of the old ww gear.

Champion
Dec 01, 2011
495
Austin MoonHunter on Feb 17, 2013 wrote:
I disagree about people saying "WaterWorks gear is the best" too. The "best gear" isn't in the Crown Shop or the Bazaar. It is crafting gear. I read this in 2013, so that means two new worlds came out: Avalon and Azteca. If someone wanted the "best gear" they should go to Dun Dara and craft from a guy with blue scratches on his face. (That is if they are doing that now because they didn't have Avalon or Azteca yet when you wrote yours.) I hoped this helped for anyone who wants good gear.
The prolem with Crafted Gear is that it gives lots of Resistance to your Opposite School and another school in your group.

Survivor
Sep 05, 2010
36
popcicool7777777 on Feb 17, 2013 wrote:
The prolem with Crafted Gear is that it gives lots of Resistance to your Opposite School and another school in your group.
Not all crafted gear gives the opposite school of yours. I have crafted gear and it gives opposite school stuff but, mostly mine.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3172
lastdaysgunslinger on Feb 17, 2013 wrote:
Von you need to start checking out the crown shop and higher level crafted gear. In all seriousness you can gain much more balance with your wizard. When you take that crit rating out of the picture the waterworks gear falls short to the other stuff everyones bein saying about.

My stats are through the roof right now and i dont wear any of the old ww gear.
that's where you're wrong, my friend~ my stats are higher than any other balance wizard i've run across, and i don't have any of the new crowns/crafted gear; i don't need it, because i'm just that awesome already.



as i've mentioned previously, i am an advocate for the average player, and average players don't always have crowns or time to waste. and i'm sorry, but a whole bunch of critical and school-only block are not worth giving up my universal stats for; i could care less for mana or outgoing heal as well.

here are stats for my level 90 balance~

health~ 4390
mana~ 331

damage +76% for balance, +23% for all others;
resist +40 universal
accuracy +12%
critical 133
block 122 universal

power pips 86%
incoming heal +32%

i am a legendary artisan and can't get anywhere close to these numbers with crowns or crafted gear. in avalon, i had to craft 2 different sets of gear for my wizard, and both were awful~ i also did the same for death and storm, and ww gear outdid the crafted stuff, in all cases.

-von

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
2634
I think the problem may be that for one's play style gear works for them where it would not work for another.

Since it's not written in stone some where, what the perfect stats are, each of us must try to figure it out ourselves as we progress in the game or fail trying.

As gear has evolved into all over the board for all schools each has it's own problems of figuring out which is best to get their wizard though the game. It can also come down to, do you work in a group, do you have to solo to be able to progress in the game, do you prefer to solo, do you always have "friends" to help you.

Personally we took 4 wizards though Avalon with a mix of WW and WT crafted gear switching dropped wands along the way. Granted Critical wasn't a big thing there but when it went though it shortened the fight up a lot.

I can't say for AZ because I decided AZ was just too much drama for me so quit there. We do have a family member that tried to give it a go but she gave up in the 3rd area and we started new wizards, she stuck with her WW hat and robe and mixed around everything else to try to find a good combo but just couldn't get it and the help she needed to continue is a some what timely manner - she would be weeks on one quest line to complete it.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
935
Dr Von on Feb 18, 2013 wrote:
that's where you're wrong, my friend~ my stats are higher than any other balance wizard i've run across, and i don't have any of the new crowns/crafted gear; i don't need it, because i'm just that awesome already.



as i've mentioned previously, i am an advocate for the average player, and average players don't always have crowns or time to waste. and i'm sorry, but a whole bunch of critical and school-only block are not worth giving up my universal stats for; i could care less for mana or outgoing heal as well.

here are stats for my level 90 balance~

health~ 4390
mana~ 331

damage +76% for balance, +23% for all others;
resist +40 universal
accuracy +12%
critical 133
block 122 universal

power pips 86%
incoming heal +32%

i am a legendary artisan and can't get anywhere close to these numbers with crowns or crafted gear. in avalon, i had to craft 2 different sets of gear for my wizard, and both were awful~ i also did the same for death and storm, and ww gear outdid the crafted stuff, in all cases.

-von
Yeah if you dont have the crowns to mix in then you may have some issues. But the newer stuff in the crowns shop mixed with crafted an rare drops is the best option.

I understand not everyone has crowns but non the less crowns and crafted together is still better than ww gear.

I havent worn ww gear since i bought a few outfits in the crown shop around level 70 and the newer stuff is great, Mix that with a little pack gear and some crafted and you get a tank with a canon.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
1357
...Let me help prove waterworks is NOT the best. Well, for the elemental schools at least. I can't speak for spirit since none of my spirit-school wizards or balance wizard are not level 60 to 90 yet. (Life is almost 60)

Fire:
Horned Vestment vs Waterworks robe
Horned vestment wins because:
More health
More critical
Actual noticeable block
Waterworks only has 1 more damage
NOW with Azteca:
Guard Fire Robe wins because:
More health
More critical
Actual noticeable block
Same damage now
+1 Universal resist

Hat:
Knightly Helm vs Waterworks Hood
Knightly Helm wins because:
More health
Over twice more critical
More storm resist
More ice resist
Item Card
More damage

At what loss?
9% universal resist, but it is 100% worth it.

Boots?
Pvp wise, waterworks boots are just about TRASH now.
Why? Lets look at block boots.
Barely any resist lost
Over 3x more block
More health

Now lets see... What are people wearing in the arena now? A hat with 100+ critical. You need over 140 block now, from your wand and boots.

Now lexicon blade and aureate are also out of date. Crafted gear beats those also now. More incoming, more health, more Power Pip chance for the ring, and amazing block. In the next world, Lexicon blade will be trash. Aureate already is trash. These are stronger dropped ones for damage.

So overall? In my opinion, trash everything you have. Crafted gear is the future of PvP.

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
391
wuz up my subscription ended for awhile so thats you you havent heard from me in awhile. but anyways my fire still wears ww gear and the TOTH antheme, and even if water works gear is really that worthless then how come i soloed about 80% of azteca and did the sun, star, and school spell bosses without useing henchmen. yes thats right i did all of that with ww gear. crafted gear is good but what ronster forgot to mention is that you lose universal resist with that hat and boots plus you also lose health boost and universal accuracy boost(i have never fizzled a life saving satyr). i completely understand how critical is praticlly useless now however after 4 worlds of people useing critical its gonna be a little hard for people to switch but that doesnt change the fact that in the next world critical truly will be useless.

ww gear is the best for me because it gives me the resist i need while also giving me the hard core damage i need to kill those bosses on hit(76 damage boost and 40 universal resist). its just my perfect play style, a good defense and a better offense. and no im not attached to it i would through it on my pets dinner plate in a heart beat if i find something better than it. really its a lot about your playstyle however in the next world i think that play styles may have to be changed.

Survivor
Nov 22, 2012
29
I think it's just because some people are too lazy to craft clothes.
They rather run waterworks a few times for the gear.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2177
gweedoboy on Feb 20, 2013 wrote:
wuz up my subscription ended for awhile so thats you you havent heard from me in awhile. but anyways my fire still wears ww gear and the TOTH antheme, and even if water works gear is really that worthless then how come i soloed about 80% of azteca and did the sun, star, and school spell bosses without useing henchmen. yes thats right i did all of that with ww gear. crafted gear is good but what ronster forgot to mention is that you lose universal resist with that hat and boots plus you also lose health boost and universal accuracy boost(i have never fizzled a life saving satyr). i completely understand how critical is praticlly useless now however after 4 worlds of people useing critical its gonna be a little hard for people to switch but that doesnt change the fact that in the next world critical truly will be useless.

ww gear is the best for me because it gives me the resist i need while also giving me the hard core damage i need to kill those bosses on hit(76 damage boost and 40 universal resist). its just my perfect play style, a good defense and a better offense. and no im not attached to it i would through it on my pets dinner plate in a heart beat if i find something better than it. really its a lot about your playstyle however in the next world i think that play styles may have to be changed.
Gweedoboy, first off, welcome back.

My Life wizard is still wearing WW gear, but my Pyro is wearing crafted robe and boots from ZF. She crits fire hits at 168 and blocks across the board at 140. Resists are not great but workable. She is still using WW Hood. Crafted Athame and ring from WinterTusk.

She has never had the WW robe or boots, so she has done crafting to find what works to her advantage. So far she has been able to block all critical hits, and put some heavy damage out with just the colossal meteor, one trap and one blade. With boss battles, she does use colossal efreet, 1 regular blade, 1 TC blade, 1 set of Elementals with the same set up in traps but adding a feint or 2 (1TC) to that boss. It does not take her near the amount of time for these battles as it did for my life. Unless she is lucky enough to get some dropped Crown gear somewhere along the way, this gear is going to have to carry her through. The only other thing I am in the process of doing is pet hatching to improve my pet.

As for WW gear being the best in the game as far as PvE is concerned, I think that really depends on your playstyle. Playstyle will determine what works best for each individual player and their wizard.

I think (very possibly wrong) the gear Ronster is describing leans more to PvP than PvE.

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
191
Its funny you should say that. Im just too lazy to try my luck in that slow boring dungeon. I rather craft and not waste time there.

All my prometheans have crafted gear save a pair of WW boots on my life mage. True, play style is a big factor in gear choices. I play aggresively, counting on critical rate to quickly finish mob fights and to some extent heal two times better if lucky. I would not get into the critical rate is too random to be reliable or always blocked argument. But with my experience after five prometheans (yes i manage to have my myth guy finish the game too ), I can say that I critical (mostly mobs) about 55-60% of the time .Its not a big margin but boy it surely beats boredom and resolves battles at a quicker pace..

WW gears are rock solid pre-Celestia. But in the 2nd arc, leave it in capable hands of a good player who has a knack in finding the correct trinkets, wand (dropped/crown) and patience in training pets that can patch up where it is weakest (critical block/critical rate), im pretty sure it will still end up being useful as a set or mixed with crafted ones. In short, you got nothing to loose if you have it but its not necessary to beat the game.

One thing I noticed in AZ is, it is still trying to correct the error of making gears like WW. Customization is severely affected by its full sets. To have one set of gear as a solution for any world is boring. You barely can claim that your mage is indeed one in a million save for minute differences in trinkets and largely because of pet talents.

So in conclusion, WW is definitely not the best gear stat wise because like crafted gears it lacks some important stats while shining in some. Factor in wands, athames, rings and most especially pets, it can rival the the best set up crafted gears can dish out.

To be frank, I don't like to have WW sets part 2 in the game because it chokes the freedom of customizing the ideal wizard that suits your gamestyle. KI should encourage players to "come up" with imaginative combination of gears that can give wizards "true" personalities you can call your own. Gear stats that may enhance you to stun, to drain extra HP, pump up minions, do extra damage, drain mana after attacking, pump up moon school stats, give extra defense, add extra HP etc. There are myriads of combinactions you can think of and yet we are stuck with WW, mixed or crafted sets.

With this in mind, I wonder if KI can grant us "random" gear talent/s that we can affix to our gears through either crafting or by an NPC who can forge it similar to other games like the Diablo or Torchlight series. I know, It is a long shot, but anyone can dream right? LOL

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3172
Monsoon Jo on Feb 22, 2013 wrote:
Its funny you should say that. Im just too lazy to try my luck in that slow boring dungeon. I rather craft and not waste time there.

All my prometheans have crafted gear save a pair of WW boots on my life mage. True, play style is a big factor in gear choices. I play aggresively, counting on critical rate to quickly finish mob fights and to some extent heal two times better if lucky. I would not get into the critical rate is too random to be reliable or always blocked argument. But with my experience after five prometheans (yes i manage to have my myth guy finish the game too ), I can say that I critical (mostly mobs) about 55-60% of the time .Its not a big margin but boy it surely beats boredom and resolves battles at a quicker pace..

WW gears are rock solid pre-Celestia. But in the 2nd arc, leave it in capable hands of a good player who has a knack in finding the correct trinkets, wand (dropped/crown) and patience in training pets that can patch up where it is weakest (critical block/critical rate), im pretty sure it will still end up being useful as a set or mixed with crafted ones. In short, you got nothing to loose if you have it but its not necessary to beat the game.

One thing I noticed in AZ is, it is still trying to correct the error of making gears like WW. Customization is severely affected by its full sets. To have one set of gear as a solution for any world is boring. You barely can claim that your mage is indeed one in a million save for minute differences in trinkets and largely because of pet talents.

So in conclusion, WW is definitely not the best gear stat wise because like crafted gears it lacks some important stats while shining in some. Factor in wands, athames, rings and most especially pets, it can rival the the best set up crafted gears can dish out.

To be frank, I don't like to have WW sets part 2 in the game because it chokes the freedom of customizing the ideal wizard that suits your gamestyle. KI should encourage players to "come up" with imaginative combination of gears that can give wizards "true" personalities you can call your own. Gear stats that may enhance you to stun, to drain extra HP, pump up minions, do extra damage, drain mana after attacking, pump up moon school stats, give extra defense, add extra HP etc. There are myriads of combinactions you can think of and yet we are stuck with WW, mixed or crafted sets.

With this in mind, I wonder if KI can grant us "random" gear talent/s that we can affix to our gears through either crafting or by an NPC who can forge it similar to other games like the Diablo or Torchlight series. I know, It is a long shot, but anyone can dream right? LOL
well said, sarahnimo. but, as a casual player, allow me to respectfully disagree.

me? i hate crafting. actually, that's an understatement, as in i would sell my soul to mally the undying, in exchange for crafting immunity (actually, if that was the case, i'd give it to him for free). my promethean sorceress is a legendary artisan- there is exactly one piece of agave nectar between shadowsong and her transcendent crafter badge, but she is the only one, and will probably always be. i can't bring myself to go through all of that trouble on another wizard, because crafting is slow and painful torture, end of.

yes, ww runs can be torture as well, at the best of times. but, when i go in there, i go in with a strategy and a good team, and we're out of there in less than an hour. when i factor in the amount of time i'd spend transmuting and reagent-farming, i may as well have run waterworks 12 times. and, for a casual player, that's a lot of time that most of us don't have.

my balance wizard's current gear is only a partial ww set. here's what she currently has equipped:

-hood/cape of judgement
-greenwarden's energetic boots (crowns item from some hoard pack, once upon a time)
-winter palace spikeleaf sword (from the yuletide pack) at the moment, though i am known to switch them up,
-great wild wood pendant (avalon boss drop)
-nameless ring (no auction avalon boss drop)
-olyphant's storied scimitar (surprise! zafaria crafted)
-pet with proof, add balance, sharp shot, fairy friend, and balance-it.

death and storm are both in full ww gear.
storm, in particular, is scary, as she has a 90% damage boost and does not fizzle.

i am not averse to incorporating crowns gear into my setup. that said, crowns gear should not be the only option, because crafted stuff is not worth the time it takes to craft it. i really don't care about critical or school-specific block; i prefer universal stats, and they have served me well in all aspects thus far. i'll take my 40% global resist over a 200 critical rating any day.

as i mentioned before, crafted gear does not benefit balance at all. the avalon stuff requires us sorcerers to craft 2 separate sets of gear for our wizards, both of which are subpar. as a casual player, every moment i spend in-game counts for something and, if i'm going to waste time, i can think of better ways to do it than craft gear that does not benefit me.

-von
promethean sorceress, casual player, legendary artisan who hates crafting.

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
391
Monsoon Jo on Feb 22, 2013 wrote:
Its funny you should say that. Im just too lazy to try my luck in that slow boring dungeon. I rather craft and not waste time there.

All my prometheans have crafted gear save a pair of WW boots on my life mage. True, play style is a big factor in gear choices. I play aggresively, counting on critical rate to quickly finish mob fights and to some extent heal two times better if lucky. I would not get into the critical rate is too random to be reliable or always blocked argument. But with my experience after five prometheans (yes i manage to have my myth guy finish the game too ), I can say that I critical (mostly mobs) about 55-60% of the time .Its not a big margin but boy it surely beats boredom and resolves battles at a quicker pace..

WW gears are rock solid pre-Celestia. But in the 2nd arc, leave it in capable hands of a good player who has a knack in finding the correct trinkets, wand (dropped/crown) and patience in training pets that can patch up where it is weakest (critical block/critical rate), im pretty sure it will still end up being useful as a set or mixed with crafted ones. In short, you got nothing to loose if you have it but its not necessary to beat the game.

One thing I noticed in AZ is, it is still trying to correct the error of making gears like WW. Customization is severely affected by its full sets. To have one set of gear as a solution for any world is boring. You barely can claim that your mage is indeed one in a million save for minute differences in trinkets and largely because of pet talents.

So in conclusion, WW is definitely not the best gear stat wise because like crafted gears it lacks some important stats while shining in some. Factor in wands, athames, rings and most especially pets, it can rival the the best set up crafted gears can dish out.

To be frank, I don't like to have WW sets part 2 in the game because it chokes the freedom of customizing the ideal wizard that suits your gamestyle. KI should encourage players to "come up" with imaginative combination of gears that can give wizards "true" personalities you can call your own. Gear stats that may enhance you to stun, to drain extra HP, pump up minions, do extra damage, drain mana after attacking, pump up moon school stats, give extra defense, add extra HP etc. There are myriads of combinactions you can think of and yet we are stuck with WW, mixed or crafted sets.

With this in mind, I wonder if KI can grant us "random" gear talent/s that we can affix to our gears through either crafting or by an NPC who can forge it similar to other games like the Diablo or Torchlight series. I know, It is a long shot, but anyone can dream right? LOL
i agree with most everything said in this however the one thing that crafted gear lacks is universal resist.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
1357
DragonLady1818 on Feb 21, 2013 wrote:
Gweedoboy, first off, welcome back.

My Life wizard is still wearing WW gear, but my Pyro is wearing crafted robe and boots from ZF. She crits fire hits at 168 and blocks across the board at 140. Resists are not great but workable. She is still using WW Hood. Crafted Athame and ring from WinterTusk.

She has never had the WW robe or boots, so she has done crafting to find what works to her advantage. So far she has been able to block all critical hits, and put some heavy damage out with just the colossal meteor, one trap and one blade. With boss battles, she does use colossal efreet, 1 regular blade, 1 TC blade, 1 set of Elementals with the same set up in traps but adding a feint or 2 (1TC) to that boss. It does not take her near the amount of time for these battles as it did for my life. Unless she is lucky enough to get some dropped Crown gear somewhere along the way, this gear is going to have to carry her through. The only other thing I am in the process of doing is pet hatching to improve my pet.

As for WW gear being the best in the game as far as PvE is concerned, I think that really depends on your playstyle. Playstyle will determine what works best for each individual player and their wizard.

I think (very possibly wrong) the gear Ronster is describing leans more to PvP than PvE.
Well, I am more describing PvP, but waterworks it still outdated in Azteca. The robe and hat at least.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
2080
So, according to some, the idea here is to either Craft, or spend a ton of crowns on packs, trying to get the gear drops, that supposedly give good gear, or buy gear in the crowns shop.

First off, Crafted Gear. Yes, the level 84 crafted Robes are the best, except for Ice, then the level 74 Crafted Robe is Best, of course, you pretty much have to finish all of Azteca before you can even get the recipe for this robe... Go figure, who's bright idea was that? I think they forgot to turn on the light bulb, or it's burnt out and needs to be changed. That's just my opinion, sorry developers, but common sense should have some merit.

Ok, now on to boots, Ice has great boots and even most schools have some good boots to choose from, if you have the crowns to spend for them, but buying gear? Say what? Since when? Crafted Boots, if you craft the boots with your school and ice, you get the critical block that is needed a majority of the time in Azteca, if not, hope you have the health for those critical hits, and if you are storm, even the best critical wand wont help you must have these boots! So crafting is a must!

Now, on to hats... New hats are a joke, not sure what developers were thinking, or maybe they just didnt care, because obviously, nobody spent any time on the stats of the new hats or thinking about the card that is on them. A real let down. Crown hats, just as bad if not worse. Level 76 crafted hats are not bad, but you still lose power and resistance, unless of course, you are Ice.

Which brings us to why Waterworks Hats are still good, it has the resistance, and the damage boost. Most people say, in PVE, your criticals are blocked, so what's the point of higher critical if it is always blocked? In that case, resistance, damage, and accuracy is best and that is waterworks all the way.

Also, some people dont get into crafting, so what of these folks? Just saying, some people need to think of others, not just themselves!

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
935
gweedoboy on Feb 20, 2013 wrote:
wuz up my subscription ended for awhile so thats you you havent heard from me in awhile. but anyways my fire still wears ww gear and the TOTH antheme, and even if water works gear is really that worthless then how come i soloed about 80% of azteca and did the sun, star, and school spell bosses without useing henchmen. yes thats right i did all of that with ww gear. crafted gear is good but what ronster forgot to mention is that you lose universal resist with that hat and boots plus you also lose health boost and universal accuracy boost(i have never fizzled a life saving satyr). i completely understand how critical is praticlly useless now however after 4 worlds of people useing critical its gonna be a little hard for people to switch but that doesnt change the fact that in the next world critical truly will be useless.

ww gear is the best for me because it gives me the resist i need while also giving me the hard core damage i need to kill those bosses on hit(76 damage boost and 40 universal resist). its just my perfect play style, a good defense and a better offense. and no im not attached to it i would through it on my pets dinner plate in a heart beat if i find something better than it. really its a lot about your playstyle however in the next world i think that play styles may have to be changed.
We cant really use that someone soloed 80% of AZ as input for a discussion because i could address my point of thinking ww gear isnt that good due to soloing over 95% of AZ with no ww gear on at all.

I do agree that is does have a bit to do with playstyle but one of my points is that we dont need a crit rating anymore in these newer worlds because of the opponents crit block is so high.

And as von stated alot of the crown shop gear doesnt fit balance as well as others. But the pack gear is universal so that still is better than ww gear. But once again if you donot want to buy the gear or cannot afford to buy the gear then yes mixing ww with other stuff may still be needed.

But when someone asks what gear is the best waterworks is not the true answer.

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
391
Darth JT on Feb 23, 2013 wrote:
So, according to some, the idea here is to either Craft, or spend a ton of crowns on packs, trying to get the gear drops, that supposedly give good gear, or buy gear in the crowns shop.

First off, Crafted Gear. Yes, the level 84 crafted Robes are the best, except for Ice, then the level 74 Crafted Robe is Best, of course, you pretty much have to finish all of Azteca before you can even get the recipe for this robe... Go figure, who's bright idea was that? I think they forgot to turn on the light bulb, or it's burnt out and needs to be changed. That's just my opinion, sorry developers, but common sense should have some merit.

Ok, now on to boots, Ice has great boots and even most schools have some good boots to choose from, if you have the crowns to spend for them, but buying gear? Say what? Since when? Crafted Boots, if you craft the boots with your school and ice, you get the critical block that is needed a majority of the time in Azteca, if not, hope you have the health for those critical hits, and if you are storm, even the best critical wand wont help you must have these boots! So crafting is a must!

Now, on to hats... New hats are a joke, not sure what developers were thinking, or maybe they just didnt care, because obviously, nobody spent any time on the stats of the new hats or thinking about the card that is on them. A real let down. Crown hats, just as bad if not worse. Level 76 crafted hats are not bad, but you still lose power and resistance, unless of course, you are Ice.

Which brings us to why Waterworks Hats are still good, it has the resistance, and the damage boost. Most people say, in PVE, your criticals are blocked, so what's the point of higher critical if it is always blocked? In that case, resistance, damage, and accuracy is best and that is waterworks all the way.

Also, some people dont get into crafting, so what of these folks? Just saying, some people need to think of others, not just themselves!
thank you darth i couldnt have said it better. crafted gear is good if you are ice yes but otherwise your gonna lose a lot of resist witch is something my pyromancer really needs. i actually bought the level 85 crown gear because
1. im farming for the storm caimens cruel fang(storm boss and minion)
2. what can i say besides that my pet ate my ww robe, to think that i had a spare for the hat and boots but it had to be the robe

anyways it isnt half bad i guess but it demands that you have skill because now i have over 300 block for storm and 60 for all others. not to mention about 83 resist to storm and like 60 to ice but 10 to all others.
im sorry to developers but this is not acceptable, i mean i like having 96 damage boost and all but what good is it if i cant be alive to actually use it.

im hoping that you fix this with the level 90 gear.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2177
Darth JT on Feb 23, 2013 wrote:
So, according to some, the idea here is to either Craft, or spend a ton of crowns on packs, trying to get the gear drops, that supposedly give good gear, or buy gear in the crowns shop.

First off, Crafted Gear. Yes, the level 84 crafted Robes are the best, except for Ice, then the level 74 Crafted Robe is Best, of course, you pretty much have to finish all of Azteca before you can even get the recipe for this robe... Go figure, who's bright idea was that? I think they forgot to turn on the light bulb, or it's burnt out and needs to be changed. That's just my opinion, sorry developers, but common sense should have some merit.

Ok, now on to boots, Ice has great boots and even most schools have some good boots to choose from, if you have the crowns to spend for them, but buying gear? Say what? Since when? Crafted Boots, if you craft the boots with your school and ice, you get the critical block that is needed a majority of the time in Azteca, if not, hope you have the health for those critical hits, and if you are storm, even the best critical wand wont help you must have these boots! So crafting is a must!

Now, on to hats... New hats are a joke, not sure what developers were thinking, or maybe they just didnt care, because obviously, nobody spent any time on the stats of the new hats or thinking about the card that is on them. A real let down. Crown hats, just as bad if not worse. Level 76 crafted hats are not bad, but you still lose power and resistance, unless of course, you are Ice.

Which brings us to why Waterworks Hats are still good, it has the resistance, and the damage boost. Most people say, in PVE, your criticals are blocked, so what's the point of higher critical if it is always blocked? In that case, resistance, damage, and accuracy is best and that is waterworks all the way.

Also, some people dont get into crafting, so what of these folks? Just saying, some people need to think of others, not just themselves!
Good point s Darth. The boots I crafted for my Pyro gives her 79 block across the board alone. That is not counting the additional block from the rest of her gear.

Yes, I have seen some state that criticals are blocked but that is not always true. But you better have that block because you will run into bosses that crit on every cast. In case you have not noticed, you will find very little gear in Az that gives any decent amount of bock if any at all. Stats in AZ gear are seriously nerfed.

Something did go wrong somewhere along the way. We get WW gear if we farm for it at level 60 but as each new world is added, the dropped gear in each progressive world gets weaker.

Most of what I have seen and sold or fed to my pets would have been good gear or even great in CL. but, not in AZ. The only other probelm with that same gear is since it is level restricted, it isn't even tradable for a wizard to use in CL.

Most is NO Auction so if you are needing gold for hatching, you will have to farm drops that is sellable.