Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why do Wizards hate Pirates?

AuthorMessage
Historian
May 06, 2009
632
This is something I've kinda low-keyed seen in some posts when some Wizards bring up Pirate101. There is this backlash against the game in away. Like, I can understand that some player simply prefer Wizard101 over Pirate101. I'm not upset with that. But there is an underlying hatred for the game in some Wizards that I don't get. So I'm asking to some Wizards:

Why do you not like Pirate101?

There is obviously the fact that Wizard101 has some history and close friends to some players. That's cool. The jump between combat can be big for some. That's understandable. But why some players just downright hate the game, doesn't make sense to me.

Pirate101 right now, has a smaller community. Their story is very well crafted and the creativity and inspirations are truely at the max. A lot of positivity over there. Combat's not too hard to understand, and challenges are pretty well evened out.

I, honestly, think both games are very good and worth the time to try out their free trials. I rather like both games and their stories. The jokes, characters, and art is really just amusing.

I do feel that in both games there's jealousy to one another. Believe it or not, Pirate101 players have been like "Well, why does Wizard101 have all this and we don't? It's like Kingsisle is giving them everything!" and I've seen Wizards say "It's like Kingsisle is giving Pirates all the creative stuff and doing more for their game!" For me who plays both games, this is kinda humorous. Wizard101 and Pirate101 have their own teams who attend to each game and thus work at different paces so I don't understand where this comes about, but could lead to misunderstandings and some hate to Pirate101.

I still ask the question: Why do some Wizards hate Pirates?

(if you like both or prefer one another, feel free to post!)

Astrologist
Oct 22, 2011
1077
I like both games very much. It's nice to be able to switch from one game to the other when one gets a little monotonous.

Pirate101 has the same feel as Wizard101 in many ways, but I love how different it is as well. Pirate101, I believe is made for a slightly older audience. The richness in graphics, stories and general game play make it stand out enough that it's fun and different. It's new (less than a year old) and still building momentum. I love the extra quirkiness. Dungeons don't feel monotonous or tedious. I love the ship battles, especially when a group of us get together to fulfill our quests, as well as gain nautical points to equip more gear. I love having my companions and they have become 'friends' as you grow in the game.

Of course, I love Wizard101 as well. I will never give up one game over the other. Each one is unique and I thoroughly enjoy that fact.

I guess some are stuck in the Wizard101 mindset and don't want to see something different. It may be that some don't care for a pirate themed game, or the different type of battles Pirate offers. Whatever the case may be, no one should be 'hating' one game over the other.

Explorer
Apr 14, 2013
59
Cunning Finnigan S... on Jul 21, 2013 wrote:
This is something I've kinda low-keyed seen in some posts when some Wizards bring up Pirate101. There is this backlash against the game in away. Like, I can understand that some player simply prefer Wizard101 over Pirate101. I'm not upset with that. But there is an underlying hatred for the game in some Wizards that I don't get. So I'm asking to some Wizards:

Why do you not like Pirate101?

There is obviously the fact that Wizard101 has some history and close friends to some players. That's cool. The jump between combat can be big for some. That's understandable. But why some players just downright hate the game, doesn't make sense to me.

Pirate101 right now, has a smaller community. Their story is very well crafted and the creativity and inspirations are truely at the max. A lot of positivity over there. Combat's not too hard to understand, and challenges are pretty well evened out.

I, honestly, think both games are very good and worth the time to try out their free trials. I rather like both games and their stories. The jokes, characters, and art is really just amusing.

I do feel that in both games there's jealousy to one another. Believe it or not, Pirate101 players have been like "Well, why does Wizard101 have all this and we don't? It's like Kingsisle is giving them everything!" and I've seen Wizards say "It's like Kingsisle is giving Pirates all the creative stuff and doing more for their game!" For me who plays both games, this is kinda humorous. Wizard101 and Pirate101 have their own teams who attend to each game and thus work at different paces so I don't understand where this comes about, but could lead to misunderstandings and some hate to Pirate101.

I still ask the question: Why do some Wizards hate Pirates?

(if you like both or prefer one another, feel free to post!)
I don't like Pirates 101, but if I did I would play it simply because I'm already paying for one thing.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
4942
Cunning Finnigan S... on Jul 21, 2013 wrote:
This is something I've kinda low-keyed seen in some posts when some Wizards bring up Pirate101. There is this backlash against the game in away. Like, I can understand that some player simply prefer Wizard101 over Pirate101. I'm not upset with that. But there is an underlying hatred for the game in some Wizards that I don't get. So I'm asking to some Wizards:

Why do you not like Pirate101?

There is obviously the fact that Wizard101 has some history and close friends to some players. That's cool. The jump between combat can be big for some. That's understandable. But why some players just downright hate the game, doesn't make sense to me.

Pirate101 right now, has a smaller community. Their story is very well crafted and the creativity and inspirations are truely at the max. A lot of positivity over there. Combat's not too hard to understand, and challenges are pretty well evened out.

I, honestly, think both games are very good and worth the time to try out their free trials. I rather like both games and their stories. The jokes, characters, and art is really just amusing.

I do feel that in both games there's jealousy to one another. Believe it or not, Pirate101 players have been like "Well, why does Wizard101 have all this and we don't? It's like Kingsisle is giving them everything!" and I've seen Wizards say "It's like Kingsisle is giving Pirates all the creative stuff and doing more for their game!" For me who plays both games, this is kinda humorous. Wizard101 and Pirate101 have their own teams who attend to each game and thus work at different paces so I don't understand where this comes about, but could lead to misunderstandings and some hate to Pirate101.

I still ask the question: Why do some Wizards hate Pirates?

(if you like both or prefer one another, feel free to post!)
I do not like the way the game play, and specifically battles, is set up. I do not like the storyline. I could go on...I won't.
I played it in beta and gave it a chance in the live game, uninstalled it and have not gone back.

Yes they have different teams, supposedly. But since Pirates went live Wizard has suffered. Example: Our 'support' is pretty much non-existent. (quoting 'support': "ooo, looks like you need to uninstall the game and reinstall it." For a programming error, that after maintenance fixed itself. yeah.)

Mastermind
Oct 15, 2010
315
Cunning Finnigan S... on Jul 21, 2013 wrote:
This is something I've kinda low-keyed seen in some posts when some Wizards bring up Pirate101. There is this backlash against the game in away. Like, I can understand that some player simply prefer Wizard101 over Pirate101. I'm not upset with that. But there is an underlying hatred for the game in some Wizards that I don't get. So I'm asking to some Wizards:

Why do you not like Pirate101?

There is obviously the fact that Wizard101 has some history and close friends to some players. That's cool. The jump between combat can be big for some. That's understandable. But why some players just downright hate the game, doesn't make sense to me.

Pirate101 right now, has a smaller community. Their story is very well crafted and the creativity and inspirations are truely at the max. A lot of positivity over there. Combat's not too hard to understand, and challenges are pretty well evened out.

I, honestly, think both games are very good and worth the time to try out their free trials. I rather like both games and their stories. The jokes, characters, and art is really just amusing.

I do feel that in both games there's jealousy to one another. Believe it or not, Pirate101 players have been like "Well, why does Wizard101 have all this and we don't? It's like Kingsisle is giving them everything!" and I've seen Wizards say "It's like Kingsisle is giving Pirates all the creative stuff and doing more for their game!" For me who plays both games, this is kinda humorous. Wizard101 and Pirate101 have their own teams who attend to each game and thus work at different paces so I don't understand where this comes about, but could lead to misunderstandings and some hate to Pirate101.

I still ask the question: Why do some Wizards hate Pirates?

(if you like both or prefer one another, feel free to post!)
It is really ticking me off how some people, like you said, have an undying hatred for Pirate101. I love both of the games!

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
865
Pirates in the Sky on Jul 21, 2013 wrote:
It is really ticking me off how some people, like you said, have an undying hatred for Pirate101. I love both of the games!
It is our opinion and not everyone will have the same opinion as you. I dislike Pirate101 because I do not really like pirates and I just do not like the combat style and whatnot. Not my type of game. I have played it before but then I got bored and never went on again so I did give it a chance, but I will not go on again.

Historian
Jul 28, 2011
600
Lets looks at this situation in a weird way.

Think of W101 and P101 as siblings. They are similar but different and their parent is KI. P101 is new to the family and W101 is worried about not getting attention from KI.

This is what I have noticed

Defender
Sep 09, 2012
172
My friend Blake Hawkrider said that he liked Pirate101, but Wizard101 was far better. He didn't seem to hate it....
Emma Emeraldsword lvl 49

Historian
May 06, 2009
632
RavenLady777 on Jul 21, 2013 wrote:
I do not like the way the game play, and specifically battles, is set up. I do not like the storyline. I could go on...I won't.
I played it in beta and gave it a chance in the live game, uninstalled it and have not gone back.

Yes they have different teams, supposedly. But since Pirates went live Wizard has suffered. Example: Our 'support' is pretty much non-existent. (quoting 'support': "ooo, looks like you need to uninstall the game and reinstall it." For a programming error, that after maintenance fixed itself. yeah.)
Um, why do you not like the storyline? If you really look into it, and start getting into the focus of it. I find that it's very detailed and has a good balance between the main player trying to defeat the bad guy and finding and understanding within the Player's character. I like how there's more built in around the Player than there is in Wizard101's PC's (which pretty much lack in a built in backstory from the story).

I'm not sure why you say supposedly. Yhey do have their own teams. Taking on the task of managing 2 games is a lot and we're still working things out to keep things balanced. KI did have to pull some workers from Wizard101 to work on Pirate101 (I only know of artists as of currently). It was only because they were coming out with something new, and wanted it to be presentable and stable enough to at least work on it's own at a deadline and be able to keep a community player base.

I don't get many needs to call support, but it's possible that it could need some updating. I don't think that Pirate101's upbringing directly relates to Wizard101's failing support system and management.

From what I'm getting from your response, it sounds like the mix of just not connecting with the Pirate101 and that fact that, in your eyes, Wizard101, a game you do like, had to "suffer" from a game you don't really like. The games are still young. At some point, Pirate101 will be big enough and strong enough to stand alone and thus, both games would be left unaffected.

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
488
Cunning Finnigan S... on Jul 21, 2013 wrote:
This is something I've kinda low-keyed seen in some posts when some Wizards bring up Pirate101. There is this backlash against the game in away. Like, I can understand that some player simply prefer Wizard101 over Pirate101. I'm not upset with that. But there is an underlying hatred for the game in some Wizards that I don't get. So I'm asking to some Wizards:

Why do you not like Pirate101?

There is obviously the fact that Wizard101 has some history and close friends to some players. That's cool. The jump between combat can be big for some. That's understandable. But why some players just downright hate the game, doesn't make sense to me.

Pirate101 right now, has a smaller community. Their story is very well crafted and the creativity and inspirations are truely at the max. A lot of positivity over there. Combat's not too hard to understand, and challenges are pretty well evened out.

I, honestly, think both games are very good and worth the time to try out their free trials. I rather like both games and their stories. The jokes, characters, and art is really just amusing.

I do feel that in both games there's jealousy to one another. Believe it or not, Pirate101 players have been like "Well, why does Wizard101 have all this and we don't? It's like Kingsisle is giving them everything!" and I've seen Wizards say "It's like Kingsisle is giving Pirates all the creative stuff and doing more for their game!" For me who plays both games, this is kinda humorous. Wizard101 and Pirate101 have their own teams who attend to each game and thus work at different paces so I don't understand where this comes about, but could lead to misunderstandings and some hate to Pirate101.

I still ask the question: Why do some Wizards hate Pirates?

(if you like both or prefer one another, feel free to post!)
I don't play, but i have seen a video of a fight. I don't like the looks of it.
Wizard101 will always be more popular. Always.

Explorer
Aug 21, 2009
68
Cunning Finnigan S... on Jul 21, 2013 wrote:
Um, why do you not like the storyline? If you really look into it, and start getting into the focus of it. I find that it's very detailed and has a good balance between the main player trying to defeat the bad guy and finding and understanding within the Player's character. I like how there's more built in around the Player than there is in Wizard101's PC's (which pretty much lack in a built in backstory from the story).

I'm not sure why you say supposedly. Yhey do have their own teams. Taking on the task of managing 2 games is a lot and we're still working things out to keep things balanced. KI did have to pull some workers from Wizard101 to work on Pirate101 (I only know of artists as of currently). It was only because they were coming out with something new, and wanted it to be presentable and stable enough to at least work on it's own at a deadline and be able to keep a community player base.

I don't get many needs to call support, but it's possible that it could need some updating. I don't think that Pirate101's upbringing directly relates to Wizard101's failing support system and management.

From what I'm getting from your response, it sounds like the mix of just not connecting with the Pirate101 and that fact that, in your eyes, Wizard101, a game you do like, had to "suffer" from a game you don't really like. The games are still young. At some point, Pirate101 will be big enough and strong enough to stand alone and thus, both games would be left unaffected.
Seriously, build a bridge and get over it. Some people have different opinions and while you might think P101 has a great Storyline, other people might find it dull and boring.

I've played P101 and I really like it. I haven't played more because I'd rather spend my money on W101.

The sun doesn't travel around your way of thinking, so stop believing that you are the only one entitled to an opinion. You asked for other people's thought. If you do that, you should accept them all and not try to convince them of the contrary i.e. "Um, why do you not like the storyline?If you really look into it, and start getting into the focus of it."

Survivor
Jun 30, 2011
49
i don't hate pirates101 it's just that i enjoy the gardening,crafting and pet games on wizard, pirate offers nothing but fighting and sometimes i don't feel like fighting, also the fighting style is a little confusing to me at times and i'm an older player by the way. it's just not as fun but it is a nice break every now and then :) Shanna fireheart level 90 pyromancer

Historian
May 06, 2009
632
Omiguy on Jul 22, 2013 wrote:
Seriously, build a bridge and get over it. Some people have different opinions and while you might think P101 has a great Storyline, other people might find it dull and boring.

I've played P101 and I really like it. I haven't played more because I'd rather spend my money on W101.

The sun doesn't travel around your way of thinking, so stop believing that you are the only one entitled to an opinion. You asked for other people's thought. If you do that, you should accept them all and not try to convince them of the contrary i.e. "Um, why do you not like the storyline?If you really look into it, and start getting into the focus of it."
Oh, my!...

Hmm,... You're quite right, actually. Very right. My way of thinking just isn't that of others. My apologizes then. Not just to you, but any I've posted back to about it. I've been so caught up in trying to understanding the dislike of the game, I've forgotten to just accept everything just ain't for everyone. I'll be more acceptive of others opinions and mindful of that

Survivor
May 21, 2013
43
actually i love pirates like the japanese pirate show one piece i watch it all the time (the japanese version of course) pirate101 is great and all it has a great battle set up and i like that they give you the ability to block and dodge attacks unlike wizard101 but to me i find it less fun to play since i don't what happens in the game like where i am going how the gear works since i can't read the stats very well but i have a hard time wondering when do i get training points,or do they even have training points,and where are the spells that i cast like healing things to heal me and my crew and i wonder it would be better have to crew mates available for crowns and it would be great if they made them level restricted so people would want them more because things that aren't restricted don't work as great (but some things do like mastery amulets and mounts) but that is what i wonder because i really don't understand the style of pirate101 but i am planning to play it sometime when i have finished making the schools i want to beat the game on, on wizard101. (Blaze Moonmender promethean Blaze ravenmender level 62)

Mastermind
Oct 15, 2010
315
wizardrokz on Jul 21, 2013 wrote:
Lets looks at this situation in a weird way.

Think of W101 and P101 as siblings. They are similar but different and their parent is KI. P101 is new to the family and W101 is worried about not getting attention from KI.

This is what I have noticed
YES. So true.

Survivor
Jun 07, 2012
7
I like Pirate101 but Wizard101 is my favorite. The style of gameplay for w101 is blended so well into the story while in p101 the gameplay feels fake, not quite natural. I might like it better if the fighting style was more like "press the button and attack immediately" rather than "move players around like chess pieces". This is my only problem and Pirate101 is still great as is, but it could be better.
Deirdre Silverblood
Magus Necromancer

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2012
354
I think the combat in P101 is way to different and complecated.

Survivor
Apr 16, 2009
13
Been playing wizard for quite a while. Huge fan (though with all the PVP, pets, mounts, gardening, crafting, etc. it's so busy and overwhelming). When I heard of pirate101 I thought it was a joke. It sounded so dumb and thought "it's gotta look so and feel so immature" (thinking of course it was a kid and family oriented game and for some reason thought of those skeleton pirates on unicorn way?) so I wrote it off. But then out of the blue I got it in my head that the gear, looking at it aesthetically, could be really cool and I saw an add or something and I thought it had a subtle steam-punk with the ships and whatnot and so I figured I'd try it and I loved it! I like the way you recruit your crew, the fighting style, the idea of ship war fare and everything. However, you don't get far AT ALL on the storyline without having to pay…Sooo I stopped. Not sure if I'll continue but I did love the art and concept. Totally different from w101 with the same continuity and feeling. Also love that they both take place in the spiral
-Shannon Icegem

Explorer
Jan 12, 2012
59
I like the gameplay of wizard101 better, but I love pirate101 storyline. Pirate101 just dosen't have good gameplay

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
992
I love Pirate101 (though not as much as Wizard101)! I think it is the same reason done people hate the new Willy Wonka and will only watch the old one. They see new remakes or sequels as an "abomination" so-to-say. Some people are like this. Just be yourself and do what you like!

Defender
Sep 09, 2012
172
Wolf and Rider on Jul 21, 2013 wrote:
My friend Blake Hawkrider said that he liked Pirate101, but Wizard101 was far better. He didn't seem to hate it....
Emma Emeraldsword lvl 49
OK never mind he says he hates it. Give it a chance people!!

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
241
Cunning Finnigan S... on Jul 22, 2013 wrote:
Oh, my!...

Hmm,... You're quite right, actually. Very right. My way of thinking just isn't that of others. My apologizes then. Not just to you, but any I've posted back to about it. I've been so caught up in trying to understanding the dislike of the game, I've forgotten to just accept everything just ain't for everyone. I'll be more acceptive of others opinions and mindful of that
Good job Finnigan . It is not often you see someone accept a criticism, admit it is right an vow to change. That really shows your character is of very high caliber. The six hardest words to say in our language is "I was wrong, You were right." A big thumbs up to you or as the pirates say" A Hearrrrrrty Yarrrrr in your direction .

Historian
May 02, 2009
698
Molly the Balance ... on Jul 22, 2013 wrote:
I don't play, but i have seen a video of a fight. I don't like the looks of it.
Wizard101 will always be more popular. Always.
You can watch a video of a game and think "oh I can do this" or say something else. However, it's always allot different when you actually play it yourself.

Now I've personally have played pirate101 since closed beta and to be honest sometimes I forgot that I was playing a Kingsisle game (yes, I was that impressed by it). I will also admit that at first I didn't know what to think of the game since I'm not the biggest fan of pirate's or pirate games in general. However, because it was KI's second game I'd figured that I'd give it a fair and fighting chance before making my choice/view/decision on it, and I'm glad that I did.

For those of you who have never played the game before or have but have just barely scratched the surface of it, I highly/strongly suggest to give it a[nother] fair and fighting chance, as chances are you'll actually come to like the game (if you play it but still don't like it afterwards, then that's fine, but just don't go and bash the game simply because you didn't/don't like it).

Champion
Feb 29, 2012
488
Cunning Finnigan S... on Jul 21, 2013 wrote:
This is something I've kinda low-keyed seen in some posts when some Wizards bring up Pirate101. There is this backlash against the game in away. Like, I can understand that some player simply prefer Wizard101 over Pirate101. I'm not upset with that. But there is an underlying hatred for the game in some Wizards that I don't get. So I'm asking to some Wizards:

Why do you not like Pirate101?

There is obviously the fact that Wizard101 has some history and close friends to some players. That's cool. The jump between combat can be big for some. That's understandable. But why some players just downright hate the game, doesn't make sense to me.

Pirate101 right now, has a smaller community. Their story is very well crafted and the creativity and inspirations are truely at the max. A lot of positivity over there. Combat's not too hard to understand, and challenges are pretty well evened out.

I, honestly, think both games are very good and worth the time to try out their free trials. I rather like both games and their stories. The jokes, characters, and art is really just amusing.

I do feel that in both games there's jealousy to one another. Believe it or not, Pirate101 players have been like "Well, why does Wizard101 have all this and we don't? It's like Kingsisle is giving them everything!" and I've seen Wizards say "It's like Kingsisle is giving Pirates all the creative stuff and doing more for their game!" For me who plays both games, this is kinda humorous. Wizard101 and Pirate101 have their own teams who attend to each game and thus work at different paces so I don't understand where this comes about, but could lead to misunderstandings and some hate to Pirate101.

I still ask the question: Why do some Wizards hate Pirates?

(if you like both or prefer one another, feel free to post!)
Agreed! I play both and have near, if not max, levels on both. It's annoying to see them both nipping at each others heels. I say let people think what they will. It's their choice of entertainment, not yours. Don't slam on a game just because you don't like it that much, others may like it more than you.

Survivor
Jan 19, 2010
35
RavenLady777 on Jul 21, 2013 wrote:
I do not like the way the game play, and specifically battles, is set up. I do not like the storyline. I could go on...I won't.
I played it in beta and gave it a chance in the live game, uninstalled it and have not gone back.

Yes they have different teams, supposedly. But since Pirates went live Wizard has suffered. Example: Our 'support' is pretty much non-existent. (quoting 'support': "ooo, looks like you need to uninstall the game and reinstall it." For a programming error, that after maintenance fixed itself. yeah.)
Pirate 101 isnt that bad but i dont like the combat and the purpose for playing the game. I enjoy the classic good-feel to play wizard 101 KI is putting way to much effort into Pirate 101! I am sick of it ruining Wizard 101. Its like war and pirate 101 is holding their barricades while Wizard101 is not...... that means KI will lose a lot of money and i wont play their games...............