Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why do Wizards hate Pirates?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 20, 2013
Some people like things others don't. I personally never tried Pirate101 but who knows. Even some pirate dislikers might like it. You never know a game until you try it.

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
DarkstormsZ on Sep 5, 2013 wrote:
Pirate 101 isnt that bad but i dont like the combat and the purpose for playing the game. I enjoy the classic good-feel to play wizard 101 KI is putting way to much effort into Pirate 101! I am sick of it ruining Wizard 101. Its like war and pirate 101 is holding their barricades while Wizard101 is not...... that means KI will lose a lot of money and i wont play their games...............
KingsIsle has a team working on Pirate101 and a team working on Wizard101. Neither is being neglected. New content will be released for both and, quite honestly, I think KingIsle will keeping making money if both games are there. New players join the games each day and some will go on to be subscribers or crowns buyers. It's just a matter of preference on the players' part.

In what way is Pirate101 ruining Wizard101? It hasn't made KingsIsle lose money and, to my knowledge, the game isn't taking too many people away from Wizard101. If you don't like a game, then you can choose not to play it. It's all about choice here, some people like Pirate101, some people like Wizard101, and some people like both.

As for the combat, it is quite a jump from Wizard101's combat style and I can understand why that would throw some players off. The gameboard style just isn't for everyone. I personally like it, as it reminds me of Chess, which I love playing when I get the time. Wizard101's combat style is also nice, and it's simpler to use.

Survivor
Jul 30, 2011
probably because while the less popular but newer pirate101 gets many new releases good well rounded gear across all classes and has no pvp problems, w101 a older more popular game is infested by bad gear, unsatisfying updates and loads of pvp unbalance

In short ki is doing a better job and spending more attention on a game that less people play

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
well i watched some gameplay a while back and i instantly knew i would not like it. however i dont go around the message boards spreading hate towards it, in fact, this is the first time ive ever talked about pirates on wizards 101 message boards

Survivor
May 08, 2012
ThatMythGuy123 on Jul 21, 2013 wrote:
I don't like Pirates 101, but if I did I would play it simply because I'm already paying for one thing.
Same thing for me and thatmythguy123 I used to play it but now I have wizard101 to play now

Historian
May 06, 2009
bran4971 on Sep 6, 2013 wrote:
probably because while the less popular but newer pirate101 gets many new releases good well rounded gear across all classes and has no pvp problems, w101 a older more popular game is infested by bad gear, unsatisfying updates and loads of pvp unbalance

In short ki is doing a better job and spending more attention on a game that less people play
I would not say KI is paying more attention to Pirate101. There are two seperate teams working on each game, not one big group going between games, giving each game their needed attention. Also Pirate101 is still new and growing and it's slowly gaining popularity like Wizard101 did.

"...many new releases good well rounded gear across all classes and has no pvp problems..."
That's not really true. Pirate101's PvP is very unorganized where you'll have players fighting each other at many levels apart. Pirate101's PvP has yet to be even comparable to Wizard101's. Also most of Pirate101's latest updates have been Crown Shop based. And only for their first major expansion, KI's employee said they wanted it to be something big. Don't expect this anytime soon.
"...infested by bad gear, unsatisfying updates and loads of pvp unbalance.."
Not every gear set is going to give you an advantage and I think we have an adequate amount of released gear to battle the challenges. Unsatisfying updates sounds opinionated to me. No not every updated will have every fix we want or be 100% perfect. Besides Wizard101's real major update is not going to occur until later. The wait will be worth it. And are you expecting a perfect PvP system? We can get as close as we can, but as we get stronger, somethings I think we'll have to manage with somethings. Of course, our PvP can still be improved. It's not the easiest fix though.

Think of it this way:

You're baking a cake right? Wizard101 is like your first cake you ever made. It came out with a good shape and stable enought to stand, but it ended up with a few mishaps that you have to work at fixing. Then you make a second cake. This second cake is Pirate101. You learned from your mistakes on your last cake that made it come out with a less than perfect. The second go around, it came out much better because you know what to do and how to handle it. Does this not happen when you keep at something?
That's just what KI did. All the mistakes it made in Wizard101 it corrected or avoided with their second game Pirate101. Is Pirate101 going to be any better than Wizard101? I think that's just a matter of opinion. I think there both evenly matched. But KI is going to have much easier time with Pirate101 than it had with Wizard101 because now they know what to do after doing it once.

From your posts, I'm getting a sense that some Wizards want to put the blame on Pirate101 for any mishaps going on here, because we hate to admitt a game that's just starting is going way smoother than Wizard101 did. And now KI is going to do nothing about Wizard101's problems. That, to me, is a little ridiculous. KI is going to do their absolute best to make each game better than the last update and keep moving forward. Being it's first game, it can only be expected Wizard101 will have it's problems. A lot of it's problems will take time to fix or may never based on what kind of fault they were built upon (or how tolerant our community can be).

Defender
Mar 09, 2011
Cunning Finnigan S... on Jul 21, 2013 wrote:
This is something I've kinda low-keyed seen in some posts when some Wizards bring up Pirate101. There is this backlash against the game in away. Like, I can understand that some player simply prefer Wizard101 over Pirate101. I'm not upset with that. But there is an underlying hatred for the game in some Wizards that I don't get. So I'm asking to some Wizards:

Why do you not like Pirate101?

There is obviously the fact that Wizard101 has some history and close friends to some players. That's cool. The jump between combat can be big for some. That's understandable. But why some players just downright hate the game, doesn't make sense to me.

Pirate101 right now, has a smaller community. Their story is very well crafted and the creativity and inspirations are truely at the max. A lot of positivity over there. Combat's not too hard to understand, and challenges are pretty well evened out.

I, honestly, think both games are very good and worth the time to try out their free trials. I rather like both games and their stories. The jokes, characters, and art is really just amusing.

I do feel that in both games there's jealousy to one another. Believe it or not, Pirate101 players have been like "Well, why does Wizard101 have all this and we don't? It's like Kingsisle is giving them everything!" and I've seen Wizards say "It's like Kingsisle is giving Pirates all the creative stuff and doing more for their game!" For me who plays both games, this is kinda humorous. Wizard101 and Pirate101 have their own teams who attend to each game and thus work at different paces so I don't understand where this comes about, but could lead to misunderstandings and some hate to Pirate101.

I still ask the question: Why do some Wizards hate Pirates?

(if you like both or prefer one another, feel free to post!)
Most pirates love wizards. I know for sure that I'm always talking about what an excellent storyline Wizard101 has, and the brilliance of the backstories of the bad guys (Malistair, for example)! I'm on the Pirate101 message boards a lot and I'm always proud to find that my fellow pirates are honorable and kind to everyone, from the new people to the game to the confused players with questions. We're always amazed by the brilliance of The Seven Schools of Magic and the mysterious Wizards, the few outsiders who can go into the Imperial Palace of Mooshu and meet the Emperor himself. Even the players that have never before played Wizard101 think that it sounds amazing and hope to one day try it.

And then I log onto the Wizard101 message boards.

I find that a good portion of the people on here are rude and inconsiderate, forcing their own views onto the newer players, trying to assure them that their way is the right way. I participated in the Wizard Trivia thread, answering the question "Where is the Dragon's Roost stone rose, in the first dragon's roost or the second dragon's roost?" So I answered (after first checking to make sure, going up to the stone rose, and checking my map to make sure that it was the right place) and when I logged back into Wizard Trivia someone told me that I was incorrect and never answered my own question, which I am very eager to know the answer to but too shy to downright ask. The players on Wizard101 tend to be more rude and closed-minded, while the players on Pirate101 are saying what an amazing game Wizard101 is. Neither game is suffering from the creation of both games, rather both of them gain.

Pirate101 is always talking about how it would be brilliant if we could add crafting, or gardening, or pet minigames, or ranked PvP. We Pirates believe that Wizards have the good life, and we ask KI if we can be more like the Wizards. We would like to have access to worlds that only the Wizards have access to, such as Krokotopia or Grizzleheim. We would like to encounter the same bad guys, and we wonder what would happen if our main bad guy faced off against your main bad guy, and we yearn for the day that Pirates and Wizards can meet.

And then there are the Wizards, who want nothing to do with us pirates and believe that we will make your game experience worse.

I personally did not want to join Pirate101 when I first saw it come out, because I thought that pirates are ruthless and mean and nasty and dishonorable, when I discovered that they are quite the opposite and now I enjoy the friendly Pirate101 more than Wizard101. My point being, please do not dis my favorite game because you don't share the same views. I love both games and wish for them to like each other too!

~Katherine DeathHunter, level 85 ~

~Elizabeth, level 46 ~

Defender
Aug 08, 2012
I do like Pirate101, but I have no idea why wizards hate pirates.

Jasmine Rainbowdreamer level 48 (almost 49)

Defender
Dec 25, 2012
Cunning Finnigan S... on Jul 21, 2013 wrote:
This is something I've kinda low-keyed seen in some posts when some Wizards bring up Pirate101. There is this backlash against the game in away. Like, I can understand that some player simply prefer Wizard101 over Pirate101. I'm not upset with that. But there is an underlying hatred for the game in some Wizards that I don't get. So I'm asking to some Wizards:

Why do you not like Pirate101?

There is obviously the fact that Wizard101 has some history and close friends to some players. That's cool. The jump between combat can be big for some. That's understandable. But why some players just downright hate the game, doesn't make sense to me.

Pirate101 right now, has a smaller community. Their story is very well crafted and the creativity and inspirations are truely at the max. A lot of positivity over there. Combat's not too hard to understand, and challenges are pretty well evened out.

I, honestly, think both games are very good and worth the time to try out their free trials. I rather like both games and their stories. The jokes, characters, and art is really just amusing.

I do feel that in both games there's jealousy to one another. Believe it or not, Pirate101 players have been like "Well, why does Wizard101 have all this and we don't? It's like Kingsisle is giving them everything!" and I've seen Wizards say "It's like Kingsisle is giving Pirates all the creative stuff and doing more for their game!" For me who plays both games, this is kinda humorous. Wizard101 and Pirate101 have their own teams who attend to each game and thus work at different paces so I don't understand where this comes about, but could lead to misunderstandings and some hate to Pirate101.

I still ask the question: Why do some Wizards hate Pirates?

(if you like both or prefer one another, feel free to post!)
i personly like both games but was disopointed to find out that if youo by a membership in w101 you also have to buy a membership in p101 i've spent well over 300 dollars in this game because i used to be a prepaid cars person until this month but once my w101 membership ends i wont be able to get another one or start my way as a pirate unless they make it so you can buy a member in one and it works for the other hopes for the bset

w101 dustin battlewraith p101 logan
just notices both my classes for the games are life hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Survivor
Apr 20, 2013
If Wizard101 is a card game, Pirate101 is a board game.

Pirate101 isn't too bad for me. I actually enjoyed it more than Wizard101 at one point. They had much better graphics and character design, as well as the new faces and hair each respective gender has. I always feel that the character graphics in Wizard101 is a bit chippy; the skin doesn't have very realistic texture, and the facial features are very much a mask. The character layout in Pirate101 has much better skin texture and a generally more realistic feel. You can also choose different hair and eye colors instead of having them preset for you as in Wizzy101, so you have much better variation.

The top perks I have for Pirate101 are how your characters attack by themselves. Wizard101's spell graphics are good enough, but the character nonetheless just waves a wand or weapon in the air a bit and jumps back, crouching there all day to let a summoned creature or force of nature do all the work. Seeing my character aim a gun, kick a leg at, or stab a sword forward really puts an edge of cool to the game. It's always been enticing to me to see a supposed child using such weapons so skillfully.

Pirate101 has a bit of an unstable plot, and that is what started draining my interest. I have to say you can level up way too quickly; there were more than one instance where I leaped an entire level on two or less quests. I had a one month membership; my Musketeer was up to level 65 within that one month period, while it took me more than two months to achieve that level on Wizard101.

Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
I very much dislike Pirate101. I tried playing it when it first came out, and I only got to the first part of Cool Ranch. It was very boring. You hardly did anything in Monkestia (I'm not sure if that is correct spelling) and Valencia. The battles went by very fast, and then all of a sudden, BAM! the battles take like 10 minutes. It was also very boring, waiting for everyone to move around. It was also very badly thought out, having "Second Chances". The Crown Shop for Pirate101 was very badly ran. You had to unlock things before you could buy it (with real money!?). The storyline was the worst, you don't gain any relationship with anyone, (except your companions) and the Armada don't pose that big of a threat. In my opinion, they are doing the right thing. If you look at real pirates, they stole allot of stuff. The Armada is just trying to stop pirates from stealing by outlawing pirates. I also think how long your in a world is very bad thought out. You stay in Skull Island for a while, then you go to two other worlds, (that only take like 30 minutes each) and come back to Skull Island. Then, you go to Cool Ranch, which is the size of 3 Wizard101 worlds, and then you go to Mooshu, which is again the size of 3 Wizard101 worlds. All together, I think Pirate101 was just slapped together and called good, just for another way to get more money (no offense KI). I will always like Wizard101 better, as the story is very good, the music is awesome, and the spells are great.

-Nicholas Hawkspear level 95

Explorer
Apr 21, 2012
Sparkarm on Nov 26, 2013 wrote:
If Wizard101 is a card game, Pirate101 is a board game.

Pirate101 isn't too bad for me. I actually enjoyed it more than Wizard101 at one point. They had much better graphics and character design, as well as the new faces and hair each respective gender has. I always feel that the character graphics in Wizard101 is a bit chippy; the skin doesn't have very realistic texture, and the facial features are very much a mask. The character layout in Pirate101 has much better skin texture and a generally more realistic feel. You can also choose different hair and eye colors instead of having them preset for you as in Wizzy101, so you have much better variation.

The top perks I have for Pirate101 are how your characters attack by themselves. Wizard101's spell graphics are good enough, but the character nonetheless just waves a wand or weapon in the air a bit and jumps back, crouching there all day to let a summoned creature or force of nature do all the work. Seeing my character aim a gun, kick a leg at, or stab a sword forward really puts an edge of cool to the game. It's always been enticing to me to see a supposed child using such weapons so skillfully.

Pirate101 has a bit of an unstable plot, and that is what started draining my interest. I have to say you can level up way too quickly; there were more than one instance where I leaped an entire level on two or less quests. I had a one month membership; my Musketeer was up to level 65 within that one month period, while it took me more than two months to achieve that level on Wizard101.
I agree with you. But one thing I do like about Pirate101 that you really don't see in Wizard101 is the humor. In Pirate101 the humor ranges from ROFL to "face palm" I can't believe you said that, funny. The banter between companions is really funny at times too. I do like them both and switching from one to the other from time to time is good so that you won't get "bored" or "tired" of one game.

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
flash33 on Sep 4, 2013 wrote:
You can watch a video of a game and think "oh I can do this" or say something else. However, it's always allot different when you actually play it yourself.

Now I've personally have played pirate101 since closed beta and to be honest sometimes I forgot that I was playing a Kingsisle game (yes, I was that impressed by it). I will also admit that at first I didn't know what to think of the game since I'm not the biggest fan of pirate's or pirate games in general. However, because it was KI's second game I'd figured that I'd give it a fair and fighting chance before making my choice/view/decision on it, and I'm glad that I did.

For those of you who have never played the game before or have but have just barely scratched the surface of it, I highly/strongly suggest to give it a[nother] fair and fighting chance, as chances are you'll actually come to like the game (if you play it but still don't like it afterwards, then that's fine, but just don't go and bash the game simply because you didn't/don't like it).
A month after I watched the video, I downloaded this game. I really did not like it that much. I like Wizard101 much better. Maybe if I joined P101 first then I'd like it.

Historian
May 06, 2009
Nicholas Hawkspear on Nov 26, 2013 wrote:
I very much dislike Pirate101. I tried playing it when it first came out, and I only got to the first part of Cool Ranch. It was very boring. You hardly did anything in Monkestia (I'm not sure if that is correct spelling) and Valencia. The battles went by very fast, and then all of a sudden, BAM! the battles take like 10 minutes. It was also very boring, waiting for everyone to move around. It was also very badly thought out, having "Second Chances". The Crown Shop for Pirate101 was very badly ran. You had to unlock things before you could buy it (with real money!?). The storyline was the worst, you don't gain any relationship with anyone, (except your companions) and the Armada don't pose that big of a threat. In my opinion, they are doing the right thing. If you look at real pirates, they stole allot of stuff. The Armada is just trying to stop pirates from stealing by outlawing pirates. I also think how long your in a world is very bad thought out. You stay in Skull Island for a while, then you go to two other worlds, (that only take like 30 minutes each) and come back to Skull Island. Then, you go to Cool Ranch, which is the size of 3 Wizard101 worlds, and then you go to Mooshu, which is again the size of 3 Wizard101 worlds. All together, I think Pirate101 was just slapped together and called good, just for another way to get more money (no offense KI). I will always like Wizard101 better, as the story is very good, the music is awesome, and the spells are great.

I disagree with some things in your post, but I will keep myself from saying anything too frank.

It's Monquista, not Monkestia. And you do a lot of things in Monquista and Valencia. The point of Monquista was a short start off story before getting into the main story goal. You're helping Captain Avery gain train with a political power in the Spiral, the easiest and closest being Monquista. However the world is in a state of civil war against the Opposition and the Monquisition, which you have to fix, kinda like Krokotopia. The first time the PC goes to Valencia is to just get a taste of the world. It was a mission to get in and out of the Aramda's clutches. Like Khrysalis, it is the home of the Armada. It wouldn't make much sense to have the PC get caught so early in the game.

"The storyline was the worst, you don't gain any relationship with anyone, (except your companions) and the Armada don't pose that big of a threat. In my opinion, they are doing the right thing. If you look at real pirates, they stole allot of stuff. The Armada is just trying to stop pirates from stealing by outlawing pirates."
You do gain some relations with characters you've yet to meet. However, what's wrong with building a relationship with your Companions? They are a big piece to the story and they help move it along. They stay by your side and had humor to the game. In promotion quests, you get to learn more about these characters. So in a way, it feels like your statement is an oxymoron to me.

In my opinion, to root for the Armada, is saying like Morganthe is the biggest good guy in the Spiral. They are not outlwaing pirates, they are trying to "rewrite" the Spiral, like Morganthe, but in a place without any pirates. Mayb you didn't notice in Valencia that the Armada had completely dominated the Unicorns' way of life and were actually destroying islands to fuel they're Machine. Valencia was showing what the Spiral would be like if the Armada won. So, can I assume this is what you're rooting for? Most interesting.

I also don't feel as though you were experienced enough into the story to see how much more of a threat the Armada is. I suspose you don't know that the Armada went into a full scale war against Marleybone, and was winning. Not to mention the PC might have started it unintentionally. That seems like a threat to me.

As to the rest of your post, I like how the story is always moving. In Wizard101, it seems you always finish a world and then it's dead to you, you never return. But in Pirate, you keep returning to some Worlds, and see new sides of it. It leaves room to ask questions about the story and refresh the world, where in Wizard everything feels answered and you don't see people wanted to delve further into the story. We just sing praises on how good it is, which isn't bad but plain to me.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
I tried it when it first came out and it was ok. I stopped playing it because it was too buggy and locked up after the first couple quests. I went back and tried it again today. It's much better than when it first came out, but I still don't like the combat system. 30 seconds to move your companions and choose attacks makes it too hectic. I much prefer w101 combat system. It's all a matter of preferrence, I just prefer w101 to p101. That doesn't mean I hate those who prefer the opposite.

Historian
May 06, 2009
Nicholas Hawkspear on Nov 26, 2013 wrote:

"The Crown Shop for Pirate101 was very badly ran. You had to unlock things before you could buy it (with real money!?)."
Not everything in the Crown Shop requires you to do a quest or action to unlock. That's only with Companions (and 1 mount), and most of them you don't even need prior to completeing the game and you have to spend real money to buy Crowns, so I'm not completely understanding your comment.

"I also think how long your in a world is very bad thought out. You stay in Skull Island for a while, then you go to two other worlds, (that only take like 30 minutes each) and come back to Skull Island. Then, you go to Cool Ranch, which is the size of 3 Wizard101 worlds, and then you go to Mooshu, which is again the size of 3 Wizard101 worlds."
But there are many Worlds in Wizard101 that people have said were very long like Celestia, Dragonspyre, or Azteca. Also Wysteria can be done in a day. Also you're never really done with a world. Valencia is not complete to the game yet. There is another trip planned for a new area in their next Book. This is what seperates the stories of the two games. In Wizard, you always just finish off a world and never go back, but in Pirate, you're not always seeing the whole world yet, which helps refresh the world.

Lastly, I don't think Pirate101 is slapped together at all. I find it well thought out and uses a lot of good elements to and interest. I don't disagree that Cool Ranch is long, very Player there pretty much agrees. But, I'm very taken aback that you're actually saying that. You all say "just for another way to get more money" and from "another" I could assume that Wizard101 is one way where it's a slapped together game called "good." And anything just slapped together, to me, is not worth a thing and effortlessly made. So subsequently, Wizard101 and Pirate101 are crap and KI's spinning lies on making quality games. I disagree with any claim resemblent to this.
I think both Wizard101 and Pirate101 are very good games, have high quality and have been well thought out. They both offer elements that will attract players who want either style or both, which helps KI expand and grow as a company and community.

"I will always like Wizard101 better, as the story is very good, the music is awesome, and the spells are great."
I will say that Pirate101 and Wizard101 are both not for everyone. You might like one but not care for the other, but I think it's much better to see a players in an environment that they like and sing praises about rather than one they don't and only bring negativity and displeasure. But I don't think or see either of the games as of any less quality or potential.

Survivor
Jan 06, 2013
I do not have anything against pirate101 and I have never played it but I have 2 friend who do play it and they say it is equally as fun so I will trust them and go with it being equally as fun as wizard101

Champion
Jan 27, 2010
I don't hate pirates101....i just wish wizard101 characters looked as good as pirate101 characters the wizard101 graphics pale in comparison but I hear that newer worlds look better.

Defender
Jul 10, 2009
I (of course) do not hate Pirate101. I played it for two months (got from level 10 to 54) and liked it well enough. One of the first thing I noticed was how everybody seemed to know, play and love Wizard101. On the most general of the P101 forums, I counted five posts without a mention of W101. And as someone said, P101 is mentioned nearly never mentioned on these forums. The notion of Wizards hating Pirates mostly (I think) comes from this thread.

I myself do like Pirate101. The one thing, partially because it has such a great story, is that it doesn't have much replay value. The side quests are a little useless as well. As for the rest of the game, I liked it very much. The storyline was a lot more interesting than Wiz's, and it made me resist the urge to pace during those long, monotonous battling scenes (not that I uh do that in this game, or anything). And while the lack of rank PvP and crafting and the like is all very annoying, P101 is just a fledgling game, only a year old in October. I like the housing and equipment (a lot less gaudy then Wiz's).

And the player community would be hard to beat. I know its obnoxious to quote your self, but I really don't have time to write all this again.

Haley MoonHeart, Promethean Thaumagture
Ivette Xavier, Witchdoctor (54)

Survivor
Jul 28, 2013
See, we don't hate it that is a very strong word. I even like the whole companion thng. I am only a member in wizard 101 so i don't have one in pirate. It seems like you can go way longer without a membership in wizard 101. Pirates doesn't even have that many side quests. Without a membership or crowns, pirates is BORING!!!! Because you can't do anything after you get fin and recover the jade amulet. You just get your next companion, sail over to blood shoals, only to find that disappointing sign that pops up with the membership or crowns. Its sad!!!

Alia Winterwhisper

Survivor
Jul 03, 2009
I don't hate Pirates 101. I just prefer Wizard 101's combat system. It is more instinctual. Pirate's system is kind of ongoing battles where everyone can just jump in. Not a maximum of 4 character in a battle round. That is a bit unnerving.

Explorer
Apr 21, 2012
daryan13 on Dec 5, 2013 wrote:
I don't hate Pirates 101. I just prefer Wizard 101's combat system. It is more instinctual. Pirate's system is kind of ongoing battles where everyone can just jump in. Not a maximum of 4 character in a battle round. That is a bit unnerving.
Actually, I pretty sure that the maximum number of players in a fight is 4 in Pirate101. You might be adding their companions which does make it look like allot of players.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
RavenLady777 on Jul 21, 2013 wrote:
I do not like the way the game play, and specifically battles, is set up. I do not like the storyline. I could go on...I won't.
I played it in beta and gave it a chance in the live game, uninstalled it and have not gone back.

Yes they have different teams, supposedly. But since Pirates went live Wizard has suffered. Example: Our 'support' is pretty much non-existent. (quoting 'support': "ooo, looks like you need to uninstall the game and reinstall it." For a programming error, that after maintenance fixed itself. yeah.)
well i agree with you until you said won't i don't like the gear and mounts and how they're just fast or slow instead of percentages and same with +5 instead +3% much less brain requirements to figure what's better and much less descriptive for the mounts and before people argue KI makes family games thier 10 and up not 7 and up also don't like the way you control other people their companions not slaves and don't like the way your pvp is you and companions instead of ships and last but not least i don't like the idea of pirates for a kids game their thieves with boats kingisle

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
Cunning Finnigan S... on Nov 27, 2013 wrote:
I disagree with some things in your post, but I will keep myself from saying anything too frank.

It's Monquista, not Monkestia. And you do a lot of things in Monquista and Valencia. The point of Monquista was a short start off story before getting into the main story goal. You're helping Captain Avery gain train with a political power in the Spiral, the easiest and closest being Monquista. However the world is in a state of civil war against the Opposition and the Monquisition, which you have to fix, kinda like Krokotopia. The first time the PC goes to Valencia is to just get a taste of the world. It was a mission to get in and out of the Aramda's clutches. Like Khrysalis, it is the home of the Armada. It wouldn't make much sense to have the PC get caught so early in the game.

"The storyline was the worst, you don't gain any relationship with anyone, (except your companions) and the Armada don't pose that big of a threat. In my opinion, they are doing the right thing. If you look at real pirates, they stole allot of stuff. The Armada is just trying to stop pirates from stealing by outlawing pirates."
You do gain some relations with characters you've yet to meet. However, what's wrong with building a relationship with your Companions? They are a big piece to the story and they help move it along. They stay by your side and had humor to the game. In promotion quests, you get to learn more about these characters. So in a way, it feels like your statement is an oxymoron to me.

In my opinion, to root for the Armada, is saying like Morganthe is the biggest good guy in the Spiral. They are not outlwaing pirates, they are trying to "rewrite" the Spiral, like Morganthe, but in a place without any pirates. Mayb you didn't notice in Valencia that the Armada had completely dominated the Unicorns' way of life and were actually destroying islands to fuel they're Machine. Valencia was showing what the Spiral would be like if the Armada won. So, can I assume this is what you're rooting for? Most interesting.

I also don't feel as though you were experienced enough into the story to see how much more of a threat the Armada is. I suspose you don't know that the Armada went into a full scale war against Marleybone, and was winning. Not to mention the PC might have started it unintentionally. That seems like a threat to me.

As to the rest of your post, I like how the story is always moving. In Wizard101, it seems you always finish a world and then it's dead to you, you never return. But in Pirate, you keep returning to some Worlds, and see new sides of it. It leaves room to ask questions about the story and refresh the world, where in Wizard everything feels answered and you don't see people wanted to delve further into the story. We just sing praises on how good it is, which isn't bad but plain to me.
sorry but pirates are pirates just because their the lesser of 2 evils doesn't change that they're evil i prefer a game where there are some good guys in there

Historian
May 06, 2009
critical blizzard on Dec 6, 2013 wrote:
sorry but pirates are pirates just because their the lesser of 2 evils doesn't change that they're evil i prefer a game where there are some good guys in there
They're not evil, but their not good either. But the story itself has the element of redemption strongly tied into it. The point is you're going on an adventure where you're coming from a troubled past to a brighter future. The PC is trying to stop the Armada from trying toI don't disagree that there are some more darker characters sown into the story, but that does not mean there are no good guys. I also feel you're too quick to judge that just because it has pirate-themes, everything in the game is bad. It's not. Most of the story is light, colorful, and funny.

"i don't like the gear and mounts and how they're just fast or slow instead of percentages and same with +5 instead +3% much less brain requirements to figure what's better and much less descriptive for the mounts"
I'll admitt, it was different from the percentages found in Wizard101, but I believe it was done to make the game different from this game, what with the two looking similar. But it's not that big of a deal, to me. I'll agree, again, the rating of percentage is new, but what can you do?

"don't like the way you control other people their companions not slaves and don't like the way your pvp is you and companions instead of ships"
Ship PvP has yet to make it into the game. It has not been outruled, but it takes time to me. Patience. Also, who said you can control other people? Companions are Companions, not slaves. They help you defeat enemies, like Minions help Wizards in Wizard101. You're a Captain of the crew, so of course you tell people what to do, but you're not enslaving them at all. It's no different from a Admiral commanding soldiers on the water. They are not enslaved, just following orders from 1 central person.

"i don't like the idea of pirates for a kids game their thieves with boats kingisle"
Well, Disney made Peter Pan and Jake and the Neverland Pirates with strong Pirate themes and both of those are targeted toward kids, with much success. Plus Pirates of the Carribean, Disney's other Pirate themed movie series, as spilled into other kid friendly products and toys. Not everything that's gory in a true Pirate life actually makes it into the product. But you're entitled to your opinion.