Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What schools go better together?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
5
Ok I have almost every school but Balance. If we were able to have 7 characters i would be making one - hint, hint.
Ok moving on I have
lvl 38 ice/storm should i have gone fire instead
lvl 22 Fire / Death should i have gone ice
lvl 14 Life / Fire should i replace with death
lvl 9 Myth / Ice should i have gone storm or balance instead
lvl 2 Death / Myth should i replace with life
lvl 2 Storm / Life honestly i dont know if this was good match at all
My main reason for asking cause I am noticing when i get prism cards converting one spell class to another - i didnt know if that meant those two classes worked better together or example fire prism convert fire to ice - meaning have less resistance towards ice than fire.
The other thing i am noticing when i fight ice they use alot of fire spells when not using ice and visa versa, Life use death visa versa, Balance seems to use alot of myth spells, myth and storm are the only two didnt seem to have a pattern. Is it just coincidence that they are using those spells or do they really work well together?

Explorer
Aug 18, 2009
90
Well, it is all opinion so,

The annoying answer is,
that other school (the one you didn't pick) works best with your primary school.

The short answer is,
what ever works best with your style of play is the best secondary school for you.

The long answer is,
in my opinion, the opposite schools do tend to work well together. They tend to cover each others weaknesses. But, only if you know how to make a good effective deck.

I'm really helpful, arn't i

It really does come down to your style of play. A storm wizard can go with myth as a secondary school and cover his low health by casting minions and reduce/move threat cards so the monster attacks the minion. Or he could go with life to heal himself, or death to attack and heal, or balance to defend himself and buff his attacks.

Or, i have a grand master life wizard with the secondary school in fire. around level 40 i realized i was discarding all my fire spells and had been for quite some time because they wasted my power pips. Now my deck is all life, except for a shield i keep in it. I am seriously considering paying for the 3200 crowns it will cost to get Mr Lincoln to reset my training points so that i can spread them around a little better. Go back and get ice up to the tower shield, and death up to feint, get some balance to, well, balance it out, maybe even some storm for power attacks and to increase my fizzle frustration. :-)

I guess my answer to your question really is that there is not a "best" secondary school for your primary school.

Survivor
Aug 23, 2008
5
I have 12 wizards, of all makes and models. :-) Some use opposite schools; some don't. Although there are some advantages, there are also disadvantages. (A monster of the same school as your primary is going to block spells that are of the opposite school.) And there is something to be said for mixing elemental schools with spirit schools, too. (Fewer duplicated shields, for example.)

lenah wrote:
Ok moving on I have
lvl 38 ice/storm should i have gone fire instead

I have both Ice/Storm and Ice/Fire. Neither is "better" than the other, imo. I will say this about my Ice/Storm: With his high Ice defense and high Storm damage, he is a little powerhouse. Ice/Fire is a little trickier to play because of the "opposite shielding" I mentioned above.

lenah wrote:
lvl 22 Fire / Death should i have gone ice

Nah. Fire/Death is a good combo, imo, since Death gives you back some health through its attacks. Maybe not the best combo, but perfectly viable. (Also, although Ice is a great primary school, it is one of the weaker secondary schools.)

lenah wrote:
lvl 14 Life / Fire should i replace with death

Life/Death is one school I haven't played because I don't see much point. You already have the healing spells, so Death's health-stealing is not needed. And since Life monsters will shield against Death, I think you're better off with another school. Fire is a good one, because it gives you more damage than Life, as well as a spell that attacks all enemies (Meteor Strike).

lenah wrote:
lvl 9 Myth / Ice should i have gone storm or balance instead

I haven't played this combo either, but I can see some problems with it, due to Ice's weak attacks. I've done both Myth/Balance and Myth/Storm and much preferred Myth/Storm. It's one "opposite school" combo that works really well together. (Just make sure you have a Storm wand to blast away the shields Myth monsters will put up.)

lenah wrote:
lvl 2 Death / Myth should i replace with life

No. See same reason as Life/Death above. Myth is a really good combo with death, imo. Although you're missing elemental shields [just pick up the amulets in Krok], you can use training points to get the blades and traps from Niles the Balance Tree that will boost both Death and Myth spells.

lenah wrote:
lvl 2 Storm / Life honestly i dont know if this was good match at all

Believe me, with Storm's high fizzle rate and low health, you're going to be very happy to have Life as a secondary. Very good match, imo.

Survivor
Feb 16, 2009
10
Snivel wrote:

It really does come down to your style of play. A storm wizard can go with myth as a secondary school and cover his low health by casting minions and reduce/move threat cards so the monster attacks the minion. Or he could go with life to heal himself, or death to attack and heal, or balance to defend himself and buff his attacks.


This is untrue. A primary storm wizard cannot learn the minion spells of Myth, I am sorry to say. And Balance's Blades and shield are mainly ONLY for Balance. Many spells associated with the school like Wild Bolt from storm or Steal Charm from fire, are spells you can only learn if you are that school, don't let un-informed players tell you otherwise. I've been playing before Dragonspyre was released, I do know what I am talking about


Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
2642
kylestiltner wrote:
Snivel wrote:

It really does come down to your style of play. A storm wizard can go with myth as a secondary school and cover his low health by casting minions and reduce/move threat cards so the monster attacks the minion. Or he could go with life to heal himself, or death to attack and heal, or balance to defend himself and buff his attacks.


This is untrue. A primary storm wizard cannot learn the minion spells of Myth, I am sorry to say. And Balance's Blades and shield are mainly ONLY for Balance. Many spells associated with the school like Wild Bolt from storm or Steal Charm from fire, are spells you can only learn if you are that school, don't let un-informed players tell you otherwise. I've been playing before Dragonspyre was released, I do know what I am talking about




Balance blades add 10% attack to any of the other schools on the next out going attack spell. The Balance blades will stack with other school blades.

Explorer
Aug 18, 2009
90
This is untrue. A primary storm wizard cannot learn the minion spells of Myth, I am sorry to say. And Balance's Blades and shield are mainly ONLY for Balance. Many spells associated with the school like Wild Bolt from storm or Steal Charm from fire, are spells you can only learn if you are that school, don't let un-informed players tell you otherwise. I've been playing before Dragonspyre was released, I do know what I am talking about

</div>
</blockquote>

And if there weren't spell venders other than the Professors you might be right.
But, for example,
the crockatopia spell vender on top of the store accessed by the teleporter pad sells five minion affecting spells that can be used on the (you guessed it) the storm minion.
And elemental blades and traps (sold by Niles the balance tree) DO NOT work "mainly ONLY" on balance spells, they work on exactly two balance spells. Two. 2. They do however work on ALL Storm, Fire, and Ice damage spells.
And weakness is not a balance only spell, it's not precisely a shield but it still reduces the damage you will take.

Don't let arrogant players berate you into agreeing with them just because they have been playing for a whole 180 DAYS longer than person they are calling un-informed. Evaluate and question everything you read, including my opinions. Which, by the way, i stated at the top of my first post on this thread that it was an opinion.

Defender
Dec 17, 2008
178
I think the schools that most compliment each other are Life with a Death Secondary. Think about this, Death school steals life from it's opponents, while life school heals you. Being able to do both will keep your health high most of the time, while dealing damage to your opponent.

Of course, when you get to higher levels, people tend to not use their secondary schools as much for attacking because of the time it takes to save up pips. That's when the Death school's Feint spell would come in handy. the 70% bonus damage would really help life's only good attack spell, Centaur.

Survivor
Oct 12, 2009
32
alura starglade
lvl 13 diviner
i don't really think that there is a "perfect combination" when it comes to picking a secondary school. i chose balance as my secondary and at first i thought it was a bad choice. i thought i should've gone to life to get some healing spells or death for some stael and heal but in fact it's working out really well for me. i but in the sheilds and blades from balance into my deck and all the attacks from storm. i guess choosing a secondary school depends on you and yor fighting skills.

Survivor
Feb 01, 2009
11
I have learned that in the game healing yourself is very important let alone healing others and that's where life comes in - its always accurate and i love it, but not as a main school - anything goes great with life because its always accurate and healing! hello!?
But Death and Life would be a bad mix, first of all death and life dosn't sound good! lol
and second death steals life and gives it to themselves so really it would be overly- redundant

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
1706
Zayluh wrote:
I have learned that in the game healing yourself is very important let alone healing others and that's where life comes in - its always accurate and i love it, but not as a main school - anything goes great with life because its always accurate and healing! hello!?
But Death and Life would be a bad mix, first of all death and life dosn't sound good! lol
and second death steals life and gives it to themselves so really it would be overly- redundant

Wow, after many characters, I have found that life and death, or death and life, are an awesome combo....