Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The real solution to accessing areas

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
This is to all of you that continually find that you can't finish quests, can't go to cool places, can't really play the game because you have to go to an area you haven't bought.

The real solution is to subscribe!

don't buy areas.

I know the idea of owning various areas forever seems to be appealing but if you go that route, you'll wind up buying a whole ton of areas you will only visit one time, and never get any use out of any more.

And you'll never get finished buying areas.

KI will continue to release updates and you'll continue forever having to buy areas you'll only visit once. You'll spend hundreds of dollars and wind up with a handful of places you actually want to visit over and over, and a bunch you have no use for.

Subscribe.

For less that what you'd pay for lunch at a fast food place, you can get an entire month of access to every single spot on the game. And when they run their frequent specials, you can get a year's access for less than that.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
Those who want to play wizards in multiple schools might find that buying areas is cheaper in the long run, since they'll access the early areas many times.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
Historian
May 01, 2010
well this is really what i do, its a combination of both: i get a month sub to raise wizards to legendary (or close to), then i buy some of the areas in cl, because i go there often, to farm. and have buy crab alley (of course for waterworks) and sitting on the fence about pegasus place/pigswick accademy for tower of the helephant.

Survivor
Jul 24, 2011
I've done the math, and buying the zones with crowns is by far much cheaper than paying for a membership long term.

As of now, it would take 82,365 crowns to unlock everything. That's basically $82.37 worth of crowns if purchased during the $60 for 60K crowns.

You do lose some benefits however as membership comes with more than just full access. In fact, after our membership expires, I've considered buying everything with crowns and playing that way for eternity. I just need to make sure we are well stocked on crowns, so when a new world is released, I don't have to wait for crowns to go on sale. I refuse to buy crowns at the retail prices they are normally sold at. I only buy when on sale, and I buy 60K at a time. Our membership was also bought on sale for $60/yr. It's good until the end of August 2012. At which point, I'll need one more block of 60K crowns to unlock everything.

Would you rather pay $60 per year every year forever, or pay $84 up front, and only add more money everytime you need to unlock more of the game? I guess it depends on how long you plan to play, and how often new content is released. Also, if you aren't buying your memberships when they are on sale, you could be spending $120 a year for a membership (at $10/mo). That's enough crowns to unlock everything, buy a mount, and also a mastery amulet. You'd still have enough left over for henchmen (lots of henchmen)

If I could take back our membership, and apply that $60 to crowns, I would. Also, if I could buy unlocks for zones while a member, I can keep my son from wasting crowns on frivolous things. He just spent 17K crowns yesterday on a portal pack and a mini game pack. We don't even have a house for our character, but now our dorm room is full of portals and mini games. I told him not to buy anything until he asks me first.

To sum it up, buy everything only when it's on sale.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
colagada wrote:
Those who want to play wizards in multiple schools might find that buying areas is cheaper in the long run, since they'll access the early areas many times.

no it isn't. You get 6 wizards per subscribed account, and if you want more than one account, you set up a family plan. It becomes even cheaper at that point to have all accounts subscribed.

Delver
Apr 12, 2011
colagada wrote:

you can have 6 characters on your account they all have mebership too

Delver
Apr 12, 2011
gavpav2002 wrote:
I've done the math, and buying the zones with crowns is by far much cheaper than paying for a membership long term.

As of now, it would take 82,365 crowns to unlock everything. That's basically $82.37 worth of crowns if purchased during the $60 for 60K crowns.

You do lose some benefits however as membership comes with more than just full access. In fact, after our membership expires, I've considered buying everything with crowns and playing that way for eternity. I just need to make sure we are well stocked on crowns, so when a new world is released, I don't have to wait for crowns to go on sale. I refuse to buy crowns at the retail prices they are normally sold at. I only buy when on sale, and I buy 60K at a time. Our membership was also bought on sale for $60/yr. It's good until the end of August 2012. At which point, I'll need one more block of 60K crowns to unlock everything.

Would you rather pay $60 per year every year forever, or pay $84 up front, and only add more money everytime you need to unlock more of the game? I guess it depends on how long you plan to play, and how often new content is released. Also, if you aren't buying your memberships when they are on sale, you could be spending $120 a year for a membership (at $10/mo). That's enough crowns to unlock everything, buy a mount, and also a mastery amulet. You'd still have enough left over for henchmen (lots of henchmen)

If I could take back our membership, and apply that $60 to crowns, I would. Also, if I could buy unlocks for zones while a member, I can keep my son from wasting crowns on frivolous things. He just spent 17K crowns yesterday on a portal pack and a mini game pack. We don't even have a house for our character, but now our dorm room is full of portals and mini games. I told him not to buy anything until he asks me first.

To sum it up, buy everything only when it's on sale.

you male a good point but some people don't have the money to waste doing that all up front and of course people spend crowns on other stuff too membership is still better 10 dollars a month that pretty easy yes it adds up to a bigger total cost i still would say membership is the way to go

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
The following has been posted by Prof. Greyrose numerous times about the benefits of both:

Which Buy Option is Right for Me?

Whether you purchase a Membership or use Crowns to pay by area, really depends on how you think you will play the game.

If you plan to push through as much of the content as possible in the shortest amount of time, then a month to month Membership is the best value for you.

If you plan to play several characters over a long period of time, then a 6month or 1year Membership is probably the best value for you.

If you only have a few hours a week to spare, or will hold off playing for long periods of time, then purchasing individual areas is the best value for your time. It allows you to purchase just the next street you need to progress, and once you've purchased an area, it's accessible to all your characters on that account. Purchasing individual areas lets you progress at your own pace without feeling like you have a Membership hanging over your head.
The prices for the individual areas can be found here: https://www.wizard101.com/game/areapricing

If you're not sure, then use the Free to Play portion of the game as your guide. See how fast you move through to the end of Triton Avenue, and gauge your passion and your available time accordingly.

There are also benefits/differences explained here:

https://www.wizard101.com/game/options

I would agree with other wizards here that to experience the "full" game, you would need membership, but each wizard's play style is different (there are those who don't Derby or PvP, so areas is all they need).

Additionally, some wizards don't have credit cards and can't sustain continous Pre-paid purchase for membership, so Pay-by-Area becomes a better option.

Survivor
Apr 26, 2010
i have an account, not becouse it is cheeper, but because i dont always know how much i will be playing or how much money i will have, so ib pay a small amount each month (my son plays to, so we have a famelyaccount). so when i suddenly have the time to play, i dont have to worry if i'll have enough crowns.