Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Rudeness

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 20, 2008
52
Ok, here is what I just saw happen On Krokotopia I saw a player ask "who is cute?" Another player answered "I am" and was told "No, you are ugly" That player then asked for help and the "ugly" player ran off

If this is kids kidding each other, they need to grow up If this is Wizards idea of using censorship to protect kids, then you are failing.

The canned messages are just annoying. I'd love to have friends of all ages and types. but canned messages mean nothing and they do not protect underagers from hurt. The better thing is to open up the messages and to tell kids this is not a dating pool You won't find a girl friend or a boy friend here and don't bother trying

Other than that, I as an adult, feel obligated to report a lot of players. I didn't join this game to do that.

Irritated and Frustrated I'm not the Mom and it's not my job to watch your children Get off your lazy butts and do your job yourself.

Disgruntled,

Autumn



Explorer
Nov 20, 2008
98
wow nicely said that why wizard101 should put moderators in the game or some of us wizards can hepl 100 points for you

Defender
Dec 09, 2008
105
Survivor
Feb 07, 2009
7


I can very well relate to that, Autumn( Even though I am not a Mom).

You can't go a single day without seeing the words," HOT GIRL HERE," or,"ANYONE NEED A GIRL-FRIEND?" It is rather annoying.


Maybe KingsIsle will consider it(Hopefully).

~Version2

Defender
Aug 19, 2008
193
Still chuckling....

Playing an instance and a friend teleports in to one of the parties, asks each girl in turn: Do you want to go out with me.

At first we ignored him. After a bit when he kept asking it got annoying. Finally my mom "in all her charm" said: My daughter Destiny wouldn't be happy with that. Then I added: and I (Destiny) am a grandma!

That did not affect him in the least...

All the way to the end of the instance level he kept asking us out. Now I ask you...had we said yes....what exactly would a "date" entail?

Unfortunately I don't think even KI can monitor that. Kids will be kids.

Defender
Feb 18, 2009
186
I agree with all that is stated above. One of the most irritating things about this game is these people running around in Ravenwood talking about a "Party at Fire School Tower" or whereever. You get in there and it's a bunch of people talking about dating or trying to get personal information from each other and other junk. I tell my son to stay out of those rooms because he's wasting his time in there and should be playing the game but being the curious one that he is, he goes in anyways. We've had to move his computer by ours just so we can see what he is doing and make it where he doesn't have chat abilities. Our abrupt measures of trying to protect him. No, he doesn't like it but a parent has to do what they feel is best for the child and protecting my kids from the possible internet dangers that are out there is important to me. How do I know that one of these people trying to get personal information isn't some sick person out there trying to harm my kid?? I don't....so I do what I need to do, whether I'm the bad guy or not.

Unfortunately there are parents out there that allow this kind of behavior thinking that there's nothing wrong with it and there's no harm not realizing that the harm is ALWAYS out there and ALWAYS looking for more victims.

Not that I'm defending anyone but how can I ask KI to do more than what they are doing? Is it not the parents responsibility to monitor their kids? Is it not their responsibility to make sure their children are safe from the possible harms of the internet? I think it is....

I for one applaud the brillance behind what KI has done as far as being able to disable the chats and such but as a parent, I can't hold KI responsible to watch what my kids are doing while in their gaming realm. I feel that is my responsibility and as you can see, I've taken all the precautionaries I possibly can and still find myself getting onto my son about his antics while online. A parent has to do what a parent has to do. Yes it's taxing and yes sometimes you end up being the bad guy/gal but it's better to do that than something worse happening.

Good luck to all the concerned....

Hunter SilverHeart




Survivor
Feb 07, 2009
7
gnreno3 wrote:
I agree with all that is stated above. One of the most irritating things about this game is these people running around in Ravenwood talking about a "Party at Fire School Tower" or whereever. You get in there and it's a bunch of people talking about dating or trying to get personal information from each other and other junk. I tell my son to stay out of those rooms because he's wasting his time in there and should be playing the game but being the curious one that he is, he goes in anyways. We've had to move his computer by ours just so we can see what he is doing and make it where he doesn't have chat abilities. Our abrupt measures of trying to protect him. No, he doesn't like it but a parent has to do what they feel is best for the child and protecting my kids from the possible internet dangers that are out there is important to me. How do I know that one of these people trying to get personal information isn't some sick person out there trying to harm my kid?? I don't....so I do what I need to do, whether I'm the bad guy or not.

Unfortunately there are parents out there that allow this kind of behavior thinking that there's nothing wrong with it and there's no harm not realizing that the harm is ALWAYS out there and ALWAYS looking for more victims.

Not that I'm defending anyone but how can I ask KI to do more than what they are doing? Is it not the parents responsibility to monitor their kids? Is it not their responsibility to make sure their children are safe from the possible harms of the internet? I think it is....

I for one applaud the brillance behind what KI has done as far as being able to disable the chats and such but as a parent, I can't hold KI responsible to watch what my kids are doing while in their gaming realm. I feel that is my responsibility and as you can see, I've taken all the precautionaries I possibly can and still find myself getting onto my son about his antics while online. A parent has to do what a parent has to do. Yes it's taxing and yes sometimes you end up being the bad guy/gal but it's better to do that than something worse happening.

Good luck to all the concerned....

Hunter SilverHeart





Yes, this is becoming quite a concern to pretty much every parent that is involved with Wizard 101.

Do you agree that KI should have in-game Moderators?

Survivor
Dec 14, 2008
14
i have yet to see such verbal abuse happening anywhere. there is still reporting those who do but then that could lead to abusing th report button.

there is no real solution as of yet, perhaps in the future there will be but for now we have to live with what we have

Survivor
Dec 04, 2008
18
gnreno3 wrote:
I agree with all that is stated above. One of the most irritating things about this game is these people running around in Ravenwood talking about a "Party at Fire School Tower" or whereever. You get in there and it's a bunch of people talking about dating or trying to get personal information from each other and other junk. I tell my son to stay out of those rooms because he's wasting his time in there and should be playing the game but being the curious one that he is, he goes in anyways. We've had to move his computer by ours just so we can see what he is doing and make it where he doesn't have chat abilities. Our abrupt measures of trying to protect him. No, he doesn't like it but a parent has to do what they feel is best for the child and protecting my kids from the possible internet dangers that are out there is important to me. How do I know that one of these people trying to get personal information isn't some sick person out there trying to harm my kid?? I don't....so I do what I need to do, whether I'm the bad guy or not.

Unfortunately there are parents out there that allow this kind of behavior thinking that there's nothing wrong with it and there's no harm not realizing that the harm is ALWAYS out there and ALWAYS looking for more victims.

Not that I'm defending anyone but how can I ask KI to do more than what they are doing? Is it not the parents responsibility to monitor their kids? Is it not their responsibility to make sure their children are safe from the possible harms of the internet? I think it is....

I for one applaud the brillance behind what KI has done as far as being able to disable the chats and such but as a parent, I can't hold KI responsible to watch what my kids are doing while in their gaming realm. I feel that is my responsibility and as you can see, I've taken all the precautionaries I possibly can and still find myself getting onto my son about his antics while online. A parent has to do what a parent has to do. Yes it's taxing and yes sometimes you end up being the bad guy/gal but it's better to do that than something worse happening.

Good luck to all the concerned....

Hunter SilverHeart





Amen !!
I couldn't have said that any better

Defender
Aug 01, 2008
101
oceanblocker wrote:
i have yet to see such verbal abuse happening anywhere. there is still reporting those who do but then that could lead to abusing th report button.


I've tried and I can't report people when I'm in a battle. That is when I have the majority of my problems. But I too have seen people chatting in Ravenwood that they have "lonely singles" parties.

And while I do agree with another poster that parents are ultimately responsible for monitoring their kids, there are limits. If I go to a day spa to relax and a parent arrives with some badly behaved kids, I can't blame the day spa for that. But at some point, the spa would need to step in and take control since it is their property. And if they didn't and spa would be unable to give me the environment I was seeking, I'd most likely turn my attention to another spa that did give me what I wanted.

So far, I've had my game play disrupted so many times and it's a real shame because all of the problems I've been encountering have only seemed to crop up in the last few months. And as it stands right now, I have lost all interest in advancing the storyline, so I've been farming for pets. But even with no friends on my friends list, I still have people teleporting into my instanced battles. I don't know why.

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
412
Cynical wrote:
Still chuckling....

Playing an instance and a friend teleports in to one of the parties, asks each girl in turn: Do you want to go out with me.

At first we ignored him. After a bit when he kept asking it got annoying. Finally my mom "in all her charm" said: My daughter Destiny wouldn't be happy with that. Then I added: and I (Destiny) am a grandma!

That did not affect him in the least...

All the way to the end of the instance level he kept asking us out. Now I ask you...had we said yes....what exactly would a "date" entail?

Unfortunately I don't think even KI can monitor that. Kids will be kids.


I so agree with you. I also agree that parents need to watch their kids and NOT JUST LET COMPUTERS be the babysitters TVs once where.

Still kids will be kids. Maybe KI can use the ignore button like most chat programs to ignore any posts from that person. I am not sure if you can ignore someone without adding them first. But hinestly that is the answer.

KI can NOT babysit these kids either. As to the first poster, girl you be hopping mad if KI had no filters at all. lol these kids are pros at getting around them.

Defender
May 15, 2009
196
SkyeMist wrote:
...The better thing is to open up the messages and to tell kids this is not a dating pool You won't find a girl friend or a boy friend here and don't bother trying...


This would work perfectly!

If children were always obedient.

Explorer
Feb 07, 2009
85
deegirl573 wrote:
gnreno3 wrote:
I agree with all that is stated above. One of the most irritating things about this game is these people running around in Ravenwood talking about a "Party at Fire School Tower" or whereever. You get in there and it's a bunch of people talking about dating or trying to get personal information from each other and other junk. I tell my son to stay out of those rooms because he's wasting his time in there and should be playing the game but being the curious one that he is, he goes in anyways. We've had to move his computer by ours just so we can see what he is doing and make it where he doesn't have chat abilities. Our abrupt measures of trying to protect him. No, he doesn't like it but a parent has to do what they feel is best for the child and protecting my kids from the possible internet dangers that are out there is important to me. How do I know that one of these people trying to get personal information isn't some sick person out there trying to harm my kid?? I don't....so I do what I need to do, whether I'm the bad guy or not.

Unfortunately there are parents out there that allow this kind of behavior thinking that there's nothing wrong with it and there's no harm not realizing that the harm is ALWAYS out there and ALWAYS looking for more victims.

Not that I'm defending anyone but how can I ask KI to do more than what they are doing? Is it not the parents responsibility to monitor their kids? Is it not their responsibility to make sure their children are safe from the possible harms of the internet? I think it is....

I for one applaud the brillance behind what KI has done as far as being able to disable the chats and such but as a parent, I can't hold KI responsible to watch what my kids are doing while in their gaming realm. I feel that is my responsibility and as you can see, I've taken all the precautionaries I possibly can and still find myself getting onto my son about his antics while online. A parent has to do what a parent has to do. Yes it's taxing and yes sometimes you end up being the bad guy/gal but it's better to do that than something worse happening.

Good luck to all the concerned....

Hunter SilverHeart





Amen !!
I couldn't have said that any better


Parties are not that bad! They are really fun i just went to one of the most fun parties of my wizard life. We danced, made youtbe video's of us doing plays and we got a image of us all flexing and we played truth or dare. I met some friends that i will have for the rest of my wizard life and Baicly Not all partues are like what you discribed


Cya in the sprial
-Alex wild lvl 45 fire wizard :)

Survivor
Jul 15, 2008
39
I agree. As a parent who also play this game, I have encountered such individuals that you describe. I have also used the report button on said people. But with over a million registered students, I don't know how the moderators at KI can ever catch all these rude people.

Another concern for me is what if it's my kid that's being rude?

May I propose for a system that will record all chats that are encountered by the wizards in our accounts and save them as text files. It would be similar to the text chats that yahoo messenger saves whenever you chat with someone or when you have a conference online. That way, I can monitor what my kid says in-game.

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
412
I agree with your methods, Hunter SilverHeart, its is the sole responsibility of the parent to watch their kid.

I am an adult mother who plays the game; I enjoy playing it. However my son wants in. I told him when we can get him a computer he can play. I will get him his OWN account, so that when he is logged on I can log with him.

It is something we can do together I will not let him talk nor will allow others to abuse him. But while having a moniter from KI on isnt a bad idea, i think it is a BETTER one that we as PARENTS monitor what our children do.

There is NO SUCH THING as being over protective when you have a child. They are children, and yes are allowed to make mistakes, but the world is not the same as it once was and so we must make such that if our children are playing in areas that have a possibility of danger it is OUR responsibility to make sure they are safe and stop adovocating our jobs to anyone.

KI provides a service, that's all. It is OUR job to provide safety. And if there are those who think that the environment of wizard 101 is not appropriate (and i can't imagine why) then they need to look for a game that they are more comfortable with.

Not place the job of watching their kids on someone else. GET INVOLVED!


alas that is my two cents.

Defender
Feb 07, 2009
155
2 thumbs up for you! I totally see this sometimes, an guess what they do in here also, they have weddings! I totally agree with you and they should put moderators in game.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
40
I have a feeling that most of you are the people that want your kitties to be indepentant and yet you wont even let them be alone online? Intresting. other than that yeah there is a limit of protecting your kitties. Hate to break this to you but the real world isnt censored, isnt that what you send your kitties to school for? to prepare for the real word? And again yes, we ARE pros at getting around that filter, its not that hard whenever it tells you the words you cant say...

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
412
luffy52 wrote:
I have a feeling that most of you are the people that want your kitties to be indepentant and yet you wont even let them be alone online? Intresting. other than that yeah there is a limit of protecting your kitties. Hate to break this to you but the real world isnt censored, isnt that what you send your kitties to school for? to prepare for the real word? And again yes, we ARE pros at getting around that filter, its not that hard whenever it tells you the words you cant say...


I am not sure what kitties you refer to but i send MY kids to school for an education NOT to learn the "ways of the world."

If you ARE a child you are kidding yourself if you think having a boy or girl online is the "facts of life" LOL and if you are an adult you let your kids do whatever you like. I am fine with that as for mine I want them to be kids because they only have one shot at it.

I can't imagine any kid needing a mate for any reason. What exactly would this intale? Least of all no kid should be online LOOKING for a boy or girl friend, how desperate is that?

No in fact if these were all kids none of the parents would be half as alarmed as we sound, but the truth is there are many adults pretending to be kids (much like you sound) and that is pathetic.

I am not going any further than that as we all get the picture.

Defender
May 15, 2009
196
Sojourna wrote:
I can't imagine any kid needing a mate for any reason.

I don't remember Maslow's hierarchy of needs having an age requirement.

thefireball123456 wrote:
... an guess what they do in here also, they have weddings! I totally agree with you and they should put moderators in game.

Isn't that like "playing house"?

They do have moderators in the game: you, me, that person, the dude over there, etc. via the report function.

I'm afraid you're asking for a babysitter, not a moderator.

Survivor
Jan 24, 2009
3
Ok as a mom of four players and a player myself I have to agree that it seems you want an in game baby sitter. I think KI has done a wonderful job with the chat filter. Yes people as for boy friends and girl friends but here is the logic TALK TO YOUR KIDS. Talk about what boy friend and girl friend means not by yelling and harassing them just talk with them. They will happily identify with your beliefs and desires quicker than someone online. Believe it or not your kids want to. Play the game with them and they learn to ignore it. Yes people can talk around the filter but humans are creative inventive beings who figure things out. Thank goodness because if not there would never have been people creative enough to create Wizard101! I have realized yes they can talk around the filter but it is so obscure that my 8&9 yr old don't even get it. The teenagers don't even get it half the time and when they do because they were talked to and understand are like that is gross. Or that is stupid why would you say or do that on here. I will also say something to the kids. Sometimes they don't realize what they have said is offensive. I mean when you live in a culture where cuss words fly on a lot of TV shows and is normal in so many places. When people have gotten bad I have said hey can you chill that some you have my little bits asking some really weird questions I don't want to answer right now I want to play. And only once has anyone been rude to me most say something like, " Oh sorry my bad."
If you don't like it you say something then if the rudeness continues then report them. I was reported once and to be honest I still have no idea why and neither does any of my friends. So I'm sure these kids don't always understand why they were reported. Even my 12 yr old daughter has asked her friends to stop saying as all the time because it was rude and made him look dumb. Guess what he stopped. Speak up if your not part of the solution then your part of the problem.
I love wizard101 for the kids. I have played toon town also. And they do not have any open chat without a secret friends code, and ya know what they figure out how to give the code by arranging furniture and all sorts of things. But once you figure it out there was no real filter so they could cuss or say or do anything. But you could only read your friends stuff. Personally I am happier with this model that KI has developed. They can talk to there friends and be silly but flat out ugly is not allowed no matter what. So please talk to your kids and not expect an online game to do it for you.

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
412
growinupinfl wrote:
So please talk to your kids and not expect an online game to do it for you.


Although i cut your post down to one line i ABSOLUTELY agree with it 100%!

Its called active parenting. I am not saying that we as parents do it intentionally but I think we wan't the world to become child proof the moment we have a child. It would be nice but not realistic.

I stand by my thoughts that the kids don't NEED to do this but it is also OUR job NOT KI's to monitor them and make sure things dont get out of hand. That goes for all things they do. It isnt doing too much, its doing your job.

So instead of complaining an insisting on more restrictions for the world, I think it is more important that we get involved and as we know our kids best. We know what they as individuals need to avoid.

Thanks growinupinfl your post was exactly what was needed to be said on this topic.

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
30
RoloX2 wrote:
SkyeMist wrote:
...The better thing is to open up the messages and to tell kids this is not a dating pool You won't find a girl friend or a boy friend here and don't bother trying...


This would work perfectly!

If children were always obedient.


Exactly, it is nice to wish for Utopia, but it is a bit silly to actually expect it.

Kids, by habit, like to do things they are not allowed to. They still need to develop their self control. So I really don't think it is wise to treat them like adults. Especially considering the fact that even adults often cannot handle this freedom, so let alone kids.

Explorer
May 31, 2008
54
Well Said, if we can't do it, KI should, i have all found people getting past the censor.

e.g. *Name* is on we ed. This is everywhere, the spamming in the arena is bad enough, now i have to pay to be trash talked and asked are you looking for a girl/boy friend?

It is just insane. KingsIsle, I think what you should do is, Employ 'Moderators' Which use Macros or etc, to see if someone is used a possible word that bypasses the filter, if they are, the mod can port to them and take further action.

Swift

Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
40
Sojourna wrote:
luffy52 wrote:
I have a feeling that most of you are the people that want your kitties to be indepentant and yet you wont even let them be alone online? Intresting. other than that yeah there is a limit of protecting your kitties. Hate to break this to you but the real world isnt censored, isnt that what you send your kitties to school for? to prepare for the real word? And again yes, we ARE pros at getting around that filter, its not that hard whenever it tells you the words you cant say...


I am not sure what kitties you refer to but i send MY kids to school for an education NOT to learn the "ways of the world."

If you ARE a child you are kidding yourself if you think having a boy or girl online is the "facts of life" LOL and if you are an adult you let your kids do whatever you like. I am fine with that as for mine I want them to be kids because they only have one shot at it.

I can't imagine any kid needing a mate for any reason. What exactly would this intale? Least of all no kid should be online LOOKING for a boy or girl friend, how desperate is that?

No in fact if these were all kids none of the parents would be half as alarmed as we sound, but the truth is there are many adults pretending to be kids (much like you sound) and that is pathetic.

I am not going any further than that as we all get the picture.


Kitties, kiddies, kids? Get it now? Um yes what i said getting the an education for the real world? pretty sure that was easy to figure out

Hmmm I never said that those were the facts of life... and that sentence made no sense, please explain what you meant, it sounds like you might've left a few words out of it. the second one doesn't apply because well i'm a kid.

When you say "Mate" you know what your implying right? And other than that adults do it too... eHarmony and all that

If they were all kids you'd be even more alarmed. And no opposite kid acting somewhat mature, and you callnig me pathectic is uncalled for and more or less some of the rudeness this thread is talking about.


Survivor
Jan 31, 2009
23
We should have mods on the game.Just a few days ago, some person i didn't even know popped out of nowhere and asked me to go out with him.I teleported and changed realms.(should have reported,but wanted to get away from him.DX) I'm a kid on this game,and it kinda weirded me out to have some person i dont even know to ask me out. Where i'm from, you should get to know someone before you go out with them.But this is all just my opinion.


Tara Thunderheart lv25 Ice Wizard