Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How come my pips only go up to 7?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 12, 2012
Im sorta new to the game and Ive noticed my pips only go up to the number 7 and I have alot of good treasure cards like Efreet and Basilisk but I cant use them. I'm a lvl 29 does that have a reason to do with it?

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
No. Everybody's maximum pip number only goes to 7. To cast spells with more than 7 pips, you need powerpips! Seriously, if you get 7 pips it's almost impossible to not get at least one powerpip.

Explorer
Feb 12, 2011
You need a school mastery amulet to cast 8 and 9 rank spells outside your school. I would assume you are not fire or myth school based on your examples.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
MustangRivalry wrote:
Im sorta new to the game and Ive noticed my pips only go up to the number 7 and I have alot of good treasure cards like Efreet and Basilisk but I cant use them. I'm a lvl 29 does that have a reason to do with it?

No. It is because you are trying to cast a spell that is not your school. The only way to cast those high ranking spells from other schools is to have a Mastery Amulet equipped. Mastery Amulets allow your powerpips to be counted for other schools. See here for more information.

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/33761.ftl

If you are trying to cast a spell from your own school, it might be because you don't have any powerpips, but this is unlikely given you are level 29.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
eggywig wrote:
No. Everybody's maximum pip number only goes to 7. To cast spells with more than 7 pips, you need powerpips! Seriously, if you get 7 pips it's almost impossible to not get at least one powerpip.

Ah, but power pips will not help unless one of those cards the OP mentioned is in their school because it still 'reads' as 7 regular pips for a non-school spell. So essentially, unless they are Fire or Myth, the treasure cards simply cannot be used.

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
You can have a maximum of 7 pips as eggywiz said, and they can be regular or power pips. Having a limit of 7 is a way in which schools are relevant.
For a non fire wizard to cast efreet (9 pip?) you would need a mastery amulet.
This keeps people in their own schools for the most part, as power pips can be used for school spells.

If we just got up to 14 regular pips, then anyone could cast a treasure card for any school, and everyone would gravitate to the cards who are the most effective.
So schools would become meaningless.
pods