Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

We are aware of the recent Heartbleed Bug internet vulnerability issue and can confirm that none of the KingsIsle systems or websites were impacted. If you wish to have further clarification about the bug itself visit http://heartbleed.com.

Henchmen

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 20, 2008
52
Henchmen
Has anyone tried any of them?

I'm curious, is there anyway to find out what a particular henchman can do before you have to pay for it? If I'm going to hire temp help, I'd like to know what skills they have before I hire them. :-)

Delver
May 04, 2009
287
Re: Henchmen
I've used more than one (Level 30, Life, Storm, Myth, and Death). I'm a Level 31. They act just like a level 30 wizard. Have basically the same spells I do. Don't count on them to heal you (like the life minion). It's a henchman, not a minion. I found they helped me a lot when I was in Grizzelheim and none of my friends were online at the time. I tried to pick a henchman that would counterattack the ones I was playing (like myth against storm, death against life). They saved me more than once. I like them.
Jasmine (Life and Storm),
Kiley (Storm and Death), and
Bailey (Myth and Life)

Survivor
Apr 25, 2009
11
Re: Henchmen
Great,another way for rich players can beat anyone. what will be next? 30000 crowns-permenantly boosts you 5 levels?

Delver
May 04, 2009
287
Re: Henchmen
Mangoy wrote:
Great,another way for rich players can beat anyone. what will be next? 30000 crowns-permenantly boosts you 5 levels?


Hi Mangoy. I had to go afk after I read your note. I was hurt by what you said. I am by no means "rich". I was given a Wizard 101 gift card by a vey dear friend, and it gave me 5,000 crowns and a cute pet. I use the crowns carefully. I mentioned that I used it 4 times (maybe 5 or 6 by now) and at 30 crowns each time, I don't think that's too much. Level 30 henchmen cost 30 crowns, but the lower levels cost less. I'm sorry you sounded so upset by this.

Maybe sometime we will come across each other in the game, and we can go a few rounds in the arena, so you can get rid of some of your frustration. And I promise not to use any henchmen so it will be a fair duel.

In the meantime, please remember, it's only a game. Have fun! I am!!!!

Hopefully your friend in the game,
Jasmine Stormwalker,
Kiley AshHunter, and
Bailey Mythfinder

Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
891
Re: Henchmen
SkyeMist wrote:
Has anyone tried any of them?

I'm curious, is there anyway to find out what a particular henchman can do before you have to pay for it? If I'm going to hire temp help, I'd like to know what skills they have before I hire them. :-)



I find them as ripoffs. they are one use per battle, per time. and they can also die.

Survivor
Sep 24, 2009
4
Re: Henchmen
Hollen1233 wrote:

Hi Mangoy. I had to go afk after I read your note. I was hurt by what you said. I am by no means "rich". I was given a Wizard 101 gift card by a vey dear friend, and it gave me 5,000 crowns and a cute pet.


This is a nice circumstance, now please let me inform you of other circumstances so that you may look through others' shoes.

1. Hi, I am a child, and I was able to talk my "care taker" into paying a subscription fee, how dare I try to beg them to periodically buy crowns, for non-tangible, digital items.

2. I am an adult, with a child and paying the family plan for the two accounts. How dare this game try to make me spend more money so that I can play through.

3. I am anyone, but do not have the same school / work schedual as my friends, have rent / house payment, car payment, insurance, et al, and during my free time want to play this casual game.

Now as for your situation, would it not be cool if we ALL could depend on friends to provide everything for us. But, the world does not work like that, many have to earn everything on their own. $10.00 USD for crowns, or $10.00 USD for gasoline or grocery.... I mean, be realistic.

Explorer
Feb 18, 2009
82
Re: Henchmen
KP1080 wrote:

1. Hi, I am a child, and I was able to talk my "care taker" into paying a subscription fee, how dare I try to beg them to periodically buy crowns, for non-tangible, digital items.

2. I am an adult, with a child and paying the family plan for the two accounts. How dare this game try to make me spend more money so that I can play through.

3. I am anyone, but do not have the same school / work schedual as my friends, have rent / house payment, car payment, insurance, et al, and during my free time want to play this casual game.

Now as for your situation, would it not be cool if we ALL could depend on friends to provide everything for us. But, the world does not work like that, many have to earn everything on their own. $10.00 USD for crowns, or $10.00 USD for gasoline or grocery.... I mean, be realistic.


I am all of the above. I have a child who plays, and myself. I also pay for a nephews account at times. I am single mom. I am no longer getting child support, thanks to my ex-husbands work loss. I get by on my paycheck alone, which is tough at times. So I make compromises. I do not go out to eat. I don't go to the movies that often (maybe 2 times a year?). I work, but it's less than full time. I can guarantee you that when my hours drop, my set bills don't. My rent stays the same. My other costs stay the same. So I look at my budget each month. If I really want to play Wizard101, I can do so without crowns. As can my son, and my nephew. They have taken to saving their allowance to getting $5 in crowns when they can. I am fine with that, they earn the money. As for me, if I can get crowns without going without food or other necessities for living, I do so. If not, then oh well.

Now, as to the original posters question, I've used the henchmen at levels 20, 30 and 50 on various wizards. They cost 1 crown per level, so at level 20, it's 20 crowns, at level 50 it's 50 crowns. Only you can decide if they are worth it. But, I will say that there were times when I was running somewhere, and got pulled into battle, and instead of fleeing because I was low on health, I spent some crowns, got a henchman, and while they defeated the monsters, I was able to heal myself fully.

They were also very helpful in some instances where you only have a few fights, and your friends are not available, or you just need that little extra wizard power.

But, most of us have played this game just fine without them or the potions. It just offers something else for those that have crowns. Much like the gear that you can only get with crowns.

Explorer
Dec 20, 2008
52
Re: Henchmen
Thanks for the input, all.

I did finally try one last night and it was for a last battle in a instance where I had 3 npc's to battle. I thought it was worth it for that, but I will only use them once in a while.

Survivor
Sep 01, 2008
24
Re: Henchmen
Mangoy wrote:
Great,another way for rich players can beat anyone. what will be next? 30000 crowns-permenantly boosts you 5 levels?


A level 50 Henchman goes for 50 crowns.

50 crowns = .10cents at the most unless you buy crowns in bulk.


Defender
Jun 19, 2009
122
Re: Henchmen
Is there a way to pre-hire at least one henchman?

After a lengthy period of time away from the game, I was here yesterday, ...
checking out what's new, and discovered this deal of summoning someone.

I just got thru' a duel with two hired helpers. It was pretty nice.

But I do have this one complaint, and that is I had to waste time, ... pulling up
the Crowns Shop thingy, clicking on the Henchman tap, then search for the guy
that I wanted.

Is there a way to at least have a specific henchman (or two or three) at least somehow preselected, so I don't have to search for the person I need?

Thanks.

Survivor
Sep 01, 2008
24
Re: Henchmen
AuroraGriffin wrote:
Is there a way to pre-hire at least one henchman?

After a lengthy period of time away from the game, I was here yesterday, ...
checking out what's new, and discovered this deal of summoning someone.

I just got thru' a duel with two hired helpers. It was pretty nice.

But I do have this one complaint, and that is I had to waste time, ... pulling up
the Crowns Shop thingy, clicking on the Henchman tap, then search for the guy
that I wanted.

Is there a way to at least have a specific henchman (or two or three) at least somehow preselected, so I don't have to search for the person I need?

Thanks.


There is no way to preselect which henchman you want to use. I suggest that when you have a spare moment or two, look at the henchman list and see the order in which they come. The next time you are in a battle, and say you are battling a powerful Fire Boss, you know you will need an Ice Henchman to deliver the most damage, right? At least, that's what I would do. You are given :30sec to select that henchman, just like you would a spell.

Yes, the first time I tried to use a henchman, I went over my allotted time to choose one. After the battle, I went over the list and kind of had a good idea what the order was.

Julia SummerDreamer
Grand Master Diviner

Explorer
Feb 18, 2009
82
Re: Henchmen
You can't "pre-order" the henchmen. You can only purchase them during a battle, and then only during card selection. However, I've noticed (so I think this is standard) that when you purchase a henchmen, during the 20 or 30 seconds you have for card selection, it resets the timer.

I find them still to be very useful. I overuse them though, I admit it. So right now I'm without henchmen :) and crowns hehe.

Also - the first henchman you purchase will attack the first monster. the second henchman will attack the second monster and so forth. So I stack them like that. If the first monster is storm, and the second is death, I'll make the first henchman purchase a myth, and the second a life.

Keep in mind that the henchmen will cast a spell that is of the same school that they are attacking. They don't seem to differentiate in that much from what I can tell.

Defender
Mar 07, 2009
108
Re: Henchmen
Why cant the minions be made better? Why? Their is enough crown buying items!!! Make the minions like the henchmen KI!!! I would rather be able to summon my minion that actually would fight/duel along side you...so people, what do you think?