Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Critical Rating

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 23, 2008
Hello,

I have been playing Wizard101 for a while, and I have always wondered how criticals have been calculated. If my wizard has 150 critical, for example, how do I use that number to figure out how much percent chance I have of a critical hit? This has always stumped me and I look forward to finding an answer.

Defender
Jul 10, 2011
Alirie wrote:
Hello,

I have been playing Wizard101 for a while, and I have always wondered how criticals have been calculated. If my wizard has 150 critical, for example, how do I use that number to figure out how much percent chance I have of a critical hit? This has always stumped me and I look forward to finding an answer.
I've seen a message from a person that said "If you want to now how much % chance you have, you flip over the number. IDK what she is trying to say, but i don't see how that is true, like you flip 150 over, is it 051% or 120%, (flip 150 upside-down). IDK how you find the percent, i am only lvl 45.

Wolf SilverSpear
Pyromancer (Level 45)

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Alirie wrote:
Hello,

Hi there~ critical rating works in points, not percentages. For example, a 150 critical rating doesn't mean that the person has a 150% chance of criticaling~ as with everything else in the current game, critical is a dice-roll/totally random.

If you hover over the numbers in your Advanced Stats tab, it will tell you what the percentage is and what gear it's from.

Hope this helps!
El Veeb, the Archmage of Awesomeness

Defender
Jul 10, 2011
vonawesome1 wrote:
Alirie wrote:
Hello,

Hi there~ critical rating works in points, not percentages. For example, a 150 critical rating doesn't mean that the person has a 150% chance of criticaling~ as with everything else in the current game, critical is a dice-roll/totally random.

If you hover over the numbers in your Advanced Stats tab, it will tell you what the percentage is and what gear it's from.

Hope this helps!
El Veeb, the Archmage of Awesomeness
lol the archmage of awesomeness but still, what does the points have to do in criticaling?

Wolf SilverSpear

Survivor
Nov 30, 2011
I think the math goes for every 10 critical rating you have you have a 2% chance of getting a critical. So if it's a 150, it would probably be 30% chance. I don't know for sure though I'm going off my rating which is 2% with 10 critical rating and my friend who has a 6% chance with a 30.

Destiny Starflame lvl 49
Master Pyromancer

Survivor
Apr 16, 2011
This might help:

I went on my storm wiz and put on an old pair of boots that gave me +10 critical rating. I moused over the number on the advanced stats page and I saw that the 10 was equal to 2%. 10 divided by 5 is 2. I then tested it on an item that gave a bit higher critical rating. It was my wand, that gave +30 critical rating. As I had thought, when i moused over it it showed up as 6%. So anytime you want to quickly know the critical percentage of an item before you buy it, just take the rating mentioned on the stats and divide it by 5. Hope this helped :P

Erin Dragoneyes, Storm lvl 69

Survivor
May 11, 2009
i believe the critical chance (the chance of getting a critical) is out of 500, so if you have on the helmet Diego gives you at lvl 50, which gives you 15 critical, you will have a 3% critical chance

hope this helped

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
Here I will shed some light on this topic. Critcals are based on points the max number of critical points you can have is 500 (same goes for block). So if you have 250 critical points that means you have a 50% chance of criticaling.

Divide your critical amount by 500 and you will get your answer.

Ex. 150/ 500 = .3 which is 30%.

Survivor
Jun 03, 2009
Snowyandspots wrote:
Here I will shed some light on this topic. Critcals are based on points the max number of critical points you can have is 500 (same goes for block). So if you have 250 critical points that means you have a 50% chance of criticaling.

Divide your critical amount by 500 and you will get your answer.

Ex. 150/ 500 = .3 which is 30%.

That's close but not quite right if the percentages given on the character statistics page are accurate. I've gone around the spiral collecting usable equipment with as many different critical and block ratings as I could find. It would appear that:

Critical % = {Critical Rating} / 5
Critical Block % = {Critical Block} / 4

However, the percentages vary a bit more than a simple round-off error can explain and my curve fitting skills are not what they used to be.

Um, Professor Greyrose ma'am? Could you tell us if our math is right and the variance is just the fickle nature of magic or if the formula is something different? Incidentally, "You're very close dear, but the true formulas are a closely guarded Ravenwood secret" is an acceptable answer.

Thank you.

Delver
Jan 13, 2010
Alirie wrote:
Hello,

Well put your mouse over the critical rating it will tell you how much percent
I have seen a storm wizard with 303 critical for storm!!