Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Beware of who you help!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 07, 2008
I recently had an experiance that kinda angered me and I thought I would warn others.
I often answer calls for help on the street and jump into a fight to help out.
Recently I did just that for two wizards that called for help.

I thought that this was unusual, in that the battle looked like it just started and as yet the two were fairly healthy. But I joined in anyway.

Soon after I entered the two fled out and left me facing 4 computer opponents. I called out to another player who had been standing nearby for help and he did NOT answer me. I shortly found out why as the two wizards that had fled ported back to that watching wizard. Now all three wizards watched as I fought the 4 opponents.
Thay had set a trap and I was caught!
As it turned out I managed (barely) to win the battle.
I messaged that I was glad that was over and one of the trio stated I wasn't supposed to win!
I said 'I know' and walked off angry.
Moral: Watch out who you help!

Survivor
Nov 15, 2008
sad story :(

but there is some upsides :)
when they fled they loose their mana and their chance of getting items from the monsters you fought.

did you report them?

i would have 8)

who where these people anyway?

Defender
Feb 18, 2009
I'm sorry this happened to you. This is horrible. This is the exact reason why people get so aggravated with these "help others" games. People like this set a bad example and think it's funny to do stuff like this to others.

Great job on winning the battle though. It probably urked them a bit that you didn't lose like they wanted so there's a little payback to their treachery.

Hunter SilverHeart
Level 49 Pyromancer/Diviner

Defender
Aug 01, 2008
Bravo for you! lol I am so glad to hear that you won. At least now you know who the jerks are and can remove them from your "friends" list.

I once left a battle in an instanced area (it wasn't that difficult an instance) when someone called for help several times. I arrive and what do I find? He's in the common area of Krokotopia. He wanted me to show him how to get to the hidden shop. lol

Survivor
Jun 12, 2009
same thing happened to me yesterday. someone wanted help i jumped in they fled and left me with three monsters. unfortunately that happens in all games. i was just as mad too only i lost the battle lol. so good luck in who you help in future. and remember not everyone is that way. :))

Survivor
Jun 16, 2009
This has happened to me a few times as well. Some players find it rewarding to play with malicious intent, but I find it excessively rewarding to defeat the four monsters with little trouble, and then ask them why I was able to do what two to three of them were unable to accomplish. Making these trolls seem incompetent as players on a crowded street seems to flip the tables of 'joke is on who?' and often times these malicious players will run tail-tucked.

You must also remember that things like this will often happen in real life, as well. While helping people is always a rewarding feeling, you must be certain an individual is not simply taking advantage of your kind-hearted ways.

Best of luck in the future. I hope you can avoid situations like these (both in game and out) by using your keen skills of deduction.

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
Happened to me a couple of times as well. However, I never gave it much thought until now. :P

Honestly, I don't really care. Never got killed in these kind of situations (fortunately), so I just finished the fight and went on about my business.

I doubt they had much fun with their "trap" to get me killed. Pretty stupid if you ask me. How in the world can one think that this gets them somewhere?

Anyway, next time I'll make sure to embarres (sp?) them plenty when I finish their mobs off.

Survivor
Apr 01, 2009
Something like that happend to me in Krock. But luckily it wasn't against a big boss, but it was 3 against 1.

This is why I only help out those on my friends list ... or... those who really need it. Like if they get one hit and they're out.

I'm very leary about who I help. Even more so who I add to my friends list, cause there have been too many times when I come to the rescue for someone on my list but couldn't get the same help back in return.

I had to scale back my friends for that fact alone.

Defender
Apr 24, 2009
Yes that and going afk when you help them with a battle. I was looking for some mist wood today with my level 34 Myth and was in Colossus Blvd near where the Gobbler King is and a lower level asked for my help with the Prince, I helped decided to help him but when the battle started he kept passing and was expecting me to do the battle for him and of course he was one of the people that does not have the chat enabled and you cant simply tell him to stop passing and to fight.

Defender
Nov 05, 2008
Tazard wrote:
I recently had an experiance that kinda angered me and I thought I would warn others.
I often answer calls for help on the street and jump into a fight to help out.
Recently I did just that for two wizards that called for help.

I thought that this was unusual, in that the battle looked like it just started and as yet the two were fairly healthy. But I joined in anyway.

Soon after I entered the two fled out and left me facing 4 computer opponents. I called out to another player who had been standing nearby for help and he did NOT answer me. I shortly found out why as the two wizards that had fled ported back to that watching wizard. Now all three wizards watched as I fought the 4 opponents.
Thay had set a trap and I was caught!
As it turned out I managed (barely) to win the battle.
I messaged that I was glad that was over and one of the trio stated I wasn't supposed to win!
I said 'I know' and walked off angry.
Moral: Watch out who you help!

unfortunatly this happens more and more , espesiacly in the free zones, as it is thier idea of entertainment. plz when it happens lets make a wall of shame and post the names of those who find fun in doing this.
iriadian i forget last name has done it to me

Survivor
Apr 23, 2009
Weird that someone would do that- I mean what's the payoff other than to watch you fight?

Another note there are small kids who play this game as well and sometimes they have no clue happens when they call for help. Not saying this is what happened to you this time but as a note for others.

My son has had to leave mid-battle before due to me saying "Turn it off now!" I always try to let him finish first (or come in and take over to finish quickly) but sometimes it is impossible.

Survivor
May 23, 2009
i have had this happen. i was in the grand arena in krokophinx and two wizards who were MASTERS, though i didnt realize yet, they had apprentice clothes and "Hero of Unicorn Way" badge, yelled for help against three brawlers. i went over, and as soon as i got in, i saw their high health and they fled. they then ran in a minute later, clad in dragonspyre gear and high level badges and watched me fight four enemies. i barely won with humongofrog and they said "Uh oh" and teleported out. i hate when this happens.

Explorer
Jan 06, 2009
nimbysep wrote:
unfortunatly this happens more and more , espesiacly in the free zones, as it is thier idea of entertainment. plz when it happens lets make a wall of shame and post the names of those who find fun in doing this.
iriadian i forget last name has done it to me

I have a wizard named Iridian, but I've never done that to anyone. I've spent most of my time on W101 helping other people get through battles. I would never trick someone into joining a battle then fleeing. Now, I have disconnected in battles, but that's not something that can be helped. It happens to everyone sometimes. But I have never intentionally gotten someone defeated.

Defender
May 29, 2009

wow, I'll have to watch for that. what a lame trick (if you can even call it that). It's not even that funny. So there's two options:

1. Kick some butt and finish the battle.

2. Can you press ESC and exit the game, you'll go back to the screen where you select your wizard, wait about 10 secs, and press play again and try to quickly move to a safe area? You'll be in the location where you were, but sometimes the mob has moved on.

Survivor
Apr 01, 2009
You know what... there needs to be some kind of badge or reward system out there for how many people you go and help in a fight.

"Defender of the Noob" or "Novice Student Savior"

lol

**runs off to find suggestion thread**

Survivor
Mar 16, 2009
Ok after reading this thread I would have to say it has happened to me several times in Dragonspyre. Being a Death wizard I usually won't die from anything other than a boss encounter so when people ask for help while I'm running around farming bosses I'll stop and help. I never died and never gave it any thought. I just killed the mobs and moved on. I got annoyed about them asking for help then leaving but didn't think much about it.

The ones that make me really mad are the ones on my friends list that ask for help then say Thanks and then flee. Of course, they don't stay on my friends list for very long after that.

I guess I'll keep a better eye out for this behavior.

Talon Deathweaver, Grandmaster Death wizard.

Defender
Sep 22, 2008
Do you know what I hate most of all, the friends you have that sit there and do absolutely nothing friendly for you! I teleport mainly to the friends that I can count on to help me in a tough spot no matter their level. (I have friends ranging from initiates to grandmasters). But when I teleport to someone and help them with a boss or out of a tough spot or even an instanced level with no call for help at all and they win but decide that since I don't have text chat or I talk too much that I am inferior to them and don't even get a "thanks" from them let alone help me with a quest I ask them to help me with. I like where this topic is going and support it 100,000% :D

Survivor
Jun 07, 2009