Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are we taking this too seriously?

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
I don't think that in game it is to serious - In game it seems perfectly fine they way they are currently. The way I think they ARE taking it way to seriously is that the way they talk back is, please do not flame me or accuse me of anything for this, but it occassionally comes off as rude. Just because you are very passionate about something, does not mean that they MUST try to change their opinion, after all, Hunter is entitled to his opinion, yes?

I can say that this is a good group, I like it, (as long as they aren't porting into houses... Thats the only place I curse outside of private, yes I curse. Not as often as others, but I do around some trustworthy friends.) What harm does it cause? We aren't in the commons, we aren't in front of people we don't know, I think none. You may think otherwise, but we both have found no harm, just 2 kids having fun, not to much.

Its like online dating IMO(I am not promoting it, please do not say that). I view it as ok if it is with close friends, and nothing WAY to personal, but when it's into public, thats when it looks bad and is not alright to me.

So to sum it up in all; I think they are doing their job right, but they take it way to serious when it comes to trying to prove others that they aren't taking it to seriously. It's quite contradictory, hmm?

Defender
Mar 10, 2012
Question to WCP,

Whats the point of trying to educate someone?, its a waste of time and you can just report them right away without typing a single word.

Second question to WCP,

So what if you do educate them your gonna just let them go?, or are you still gonna report them?. Both are bad in their own ways Ill tell you why, first one is that if you let them go they are going to continue breaking the rules. Second one is if you report them after you "educate them" they are gonna throw a big fit and argue with you. Overall its best just to report them without a single warning.

Connor Goldenflame, Anti WCP

Armiger
May 10, 2010
conno365 wrote:
Question to WCP,

Whats the point of trying to educate someone?, its a waste of time and you can just report them right away without typing a single word.

Very good Question Conno, although, it is not always a waste of time, sometimes it can be. You would be amazed at how few know what the terms of use are and what the code of conduct is. Some truly believe that 18+ chat means you can say anything you like at any time you like.

Sometimes, you can get through to some people and they actually learn something. Everyone makes mistakes, so sometimes forgiveness is a good thing. And you can't say that just because you warn someone and educate them means that they will just continue to do the wrong thing, there is no proof of that.

Second question to WCP,

So what if you do educate them your gonna just let them go?, or are you still gonna report them?. Both are bad in their own ways Ill tell you why, first one is that if you let them go they are going to continue breaking the rules. Second one is if you report them after you "educate them" they are gonna throw a big fit and argue with you. Overall its best just to report them without a single warning.

Another good question. It seriously depends on the infraction to some of us. Some will warn and educate without a report, some will report. Some don't interact at all and just report. Everyone in WCP acts and reports within their own comfort level. Some are not comfortable giving a warning, so they just report the infractions. So, some do exactly what you do, just report and ignore.

I tend to warn, not because I like confrontation, but I try to educate and ask that people be decent and courteous in public and common areas of the game. Some people do get carried away when with friends and say things that are not appropriate for everyone, people do make mistakes.

Sorry that you are Anti WCP, but that's ok, not everyone is perfect as I have stated... :D

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
@Ronster55, I am surprised to see you admit that you do curse even in your house in the game.

You may want to go to Headmaster's Announcements and read some of the posts there.

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/28843.ftl

Everything that a player enters into the chat window is logged. These larger chat logs are also routinely checked for those infractions that are not reported.

There was a post that I have tried several times to find and have not been able to. But the question that was asked basically was this: "If I curse/swear in my house to myself, can I still be muted? Professor Greyrose replied to that post: "Yes". ALL chat is logged and KI does review some of those logs. If they find an infraction as stated above, they can and will hand down sanctions.

Fallon WinterLeaf Founding Member WCP

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
There are hundreds of groups in the Spiral, many of which have pages at Central and/or Facebook, Google Plus, etc. What's wrong with a group of concerned parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, and friends joining up to protect our own children from the foul and harmful behavior that we all know has become a problem in the common areas of the game?

Pardon me, but are some of the posters suggesting that I, a paying, wizarding PARENT have no right to actively seek remedies to protect my children? Seriously?

Let me get this straight, as a player and the parent of young wizards, I should not worry about the behavior of others in common areas of the game, places where I or my children might go for:

Playing games
Refilling potions
Buying or trading Treasure Cards
Buying gear
Stitching gear
Renting a mount
Dying gear or a pet
Changing a pet name
Turning in a quest
Training gardening spells
Completing a tower dungeon
Signing up for PvP
Playing PvP
Training a pet
Hatching a pet
Buying pet snacks
Learning about the Pet Derby
Playing the Pet Derby
Buying a house
Buying furniture

Someone please explain to me WHY I should turn a blind eye and hope for the best? Am I REALLY supposed to just wait for someone else to solve the problem? Or is the suggestion that I should just let malcontents teach my children that foul language and bullying are life skills? Hmm, I don't think that's gonna happen.

I will NEVER abdicate my parental responsibility to protect my child in any situation, in any place, for any reason. I don't care what names and accusations are sent my way. Over protective? Fine. Unfriendly? Fine. Stifling? Fine. Too serious? Fine. I'd rather be all of those things than allow some hooligan to harm my children IRL or in cyberspace. It's my JOB to protect and educate my children, and I will do it 24/7, whether I'm at a park IRL or in the Spiral.

If I have to join up with other wizards for mutual support and protection, I will do that too. I don't care at all if this causes the rule breakers some discomfort.

Qbb, Wizarding Parent
Iridian Shadowweaver, Archmage
Founding Member, WC Protectors

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Ronster55 wrote:
I don't think that in game it is to serious - In game it seems perfectly fine they way they are currently. The way I think they ARE taking it way to seriously is that the way they talk back is, please do not flame me or accuse me of anything for this, but it occassionally comes off as rude. Just because you are very passionate about something, does not mean that they MUST try to change their opinion, after all, Hunter is entitled to his opinion, yes?

I can say that this is a good group, I like it, (as long as they aren't porting into houses... Thats the only place I curse outside of private, yes I curse. Not as often as others, but I do around some trustworthy friends.) What harm does it cause? We aren't in the commons, we aren't in front of people we don't know, I think none. You may think otherwise, but we both have found no harm, just 2 kids having fun, not to much.

Its like online dating IMO(I am not promoting it, please do not say that). I view it as ok if it is with close friends, and nothing WAY to personal, but when it's into public, thats when it looks bad and is not alright to me.

So to sum it up in all; I think they are doing their job right, but they take it way to serious when it comes to trying to prove others that they aren't taking it to seriously. It's quite contradictory, hmm?

Hi Ronster,

I am confused, as you are subscribed as a WC Protector in our group forum. I supposed I'm just unclear as to why you would post a criticism here, if you support the group cause and practices.

Could you please offer an example of how WCP members are taking "it way to serious when it comes to trying to prove others that they aren't taking it to seriously"? And, could you please explain further why this is important?

I don't mean to make you uncomfortable, but I'm just not sure as to the relevance of this recent post.

Thanks,

Qbb

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
queenlybluebean wrote:

Pardon me, but are some of the posters suggesting that I, a paying, wizarding PARENT have no right to actively seek remedies to protect my children? Seriously?

(No longer arguing, it's time I be mature on this).

No, QBB They aren't saying that. Or at least i'm not. I just don't get the angry parents when they LET their child have chat when is specifically says 13 and older, and by parent's permission.

Hall Monitors? Great solution KI! I am 100% on top of this. We have this in other games too. I am glad wizard101 is shaping up to be the game it once was. With Hall Monitors, the unofficial groups can stop, and we can have real trusted people under supervision under KI.
Although, this does not change my mind of coming back. I have found a good community for me on another game that has no fighting and people help each other out. I love that.

Defender
Mar 10, 2012
darthjt wrote:
conno365 wrote:
Question to WCP,

Very good Question Conno, although, it is not always a waste of time, sometimes it can be. You would be amazed at how few know what the terms of use are and what the code of conduct is. Some truly believe that 18+ chat means you can say anything you like at any time you like.

Sometimes, you can get through to some people and they actually learn something. Everyone makes mistakes, so sometimes forgiveness is a good thing. And you can't say that just because you warn someone and educate them means that they will just continue to do the wrong thing, there is no proof of that.

Second question to WCP,

Another good question. It seriously depends on the infraction to some of us. Some will warn and educate without a report, some will report. Some don't interact at all and just report. Everyone in WCP acts and reports within their own comfort level. Some are not comfortable giving a warning, so they just report the infractions. So, some do exactly what you do, just report and ignore.

I tend to warn, not because I like confrontation, but I try to educate and ask that people be decent and courteous in public and common areas of the game. Some people do get carried away when with friends and say things that are not appropriate for everyone, people do make mistakes.

Sorry that you are Anti WCP, but that's ok, not everyone is perfect as I have stated... :D
Thank you for answering my question, i might take an insight on becoming a Wc protector... nah anarchy rules!

CGF lvl 75 and is Anti WcP

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Ronster55 wrote:

I don't have a problem with people stating their opinions. I do, however, have a problem with people who blindly hate without fully understanding the situation.

Ronster55 wrote:

WCP's primary concern is, and always will be, the common areas, where little kids with open chat can see the filth these people are spewing. Sure, I can talk like a trucker IRL, but I know to filter myself in public and around small children.

We don't care what people do in their homes~ KI still logs that chat, and they will dole out any sanctions they deem necessary.

Ronster55 wrote:

I don't agree with online "dating", either~ that's for adults, and has no place on a family game. But, even in private, I really don't see why cursing around the filter is worth the effort...

The grade-school swears (crap, hell, damn, snap, shoot, dang, etc) don't matter. But as soon as I see any of the FCC's 7 dirty words, harassment, or lewd behaviour in a public area, I'll report it. Same goes for "friends" who swear at me via PM. It's rude, and I will report/delete them for it.

Ronster55 wrote:

I'm glad you feel that way, but I still don't think we're taking it "too seriously"; there's a difference between that, and being passionate about something.

conno365 wrote:

As I've already mentioned, most of us don't engage the people we're reporting. I know a few people would rather avoid reporting those who walk the line and aren't being overtly vile... but I just report in silence. Some of the older members may be comfortable educating, but I'm not~ as a non-parent, it isn't my place.

conno365 wrote:
Second question to WCP,

Uh, no. I'd probably get myself banned from the game, if I were to tell people what I really thought about their poor attitudes and horrible treatment of others. So, once again, I report in silence and escape undetected.

I mod on another website~ membership is in the six figures, and we are a multi-age environment, but we don't have these kinds of problems. There is a profanity filter in place, for kids under 15 or those who choose not to view adult material, but that's where it ends... If the filters are on, it's impossible to curse, because the owner has configured the coding on-site to change any profanity to a really-silly emote. Even those without the filters can see it when they read that person's work, and it's hilarious. So, if I find a poem that's riddled with jumping bunny-rabbit emotes, I'll know the writer failed at expressing herself. :P

I don't care whether or not you like us, but I do suggest learning about us before you come to that conclusion. As I said above, I have no problem with people expressing their opinions~ my problem is with people who blindly hate, but don't have any facts to back it up.

So, if you still hate us once you have all the facts, fine... But, until then, keep your mind open; no one's saying that you have to be one of us, but it's a known fact that people hate what they don't understand, because it's unfamiliar. Much like anything else in society, you can support us or not, but please make an informed choice.

"El Veeb"
Proud founding member and group leader, WCP.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
goldendragon18 wrote:
@Ronster55, I am surprised to see you admit that you do curse even in your house in the game.

You may want to go to Headmaster's Announcements and read some of the posts there.

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/28843.ftl

Everything that a player enters into the chat window is logged. These larger chat logs are also routinely checked for those infractions that are not reported.

There was a post that I have tried several times to find and have not been able to. But the question that was asked basically was this: "If I curse/swear in my house to myself, can I still be muted? Professor Greyrose replied to that post: "Yes". ALL chat is logged and KI does review some of those logs. If they find an infraction as stated above, they can and will hand down sanctions.

I think I made a mistake somewhere in there... Blame my lazy habits that I won't find where I incorrectly directed something; I am not a big blubber mouth "Hey *** how the ** are you *** doing ***?" I am not that kind of swear every sentence person... I honestly don't know how to fit it in that much without looking like an idiot xD. I only do when I am with a few select people on my friends list... And I have had those people added for over a year usually, with 2 exceptions. Yes, I swear in game, but not in the commons or anywhere where someone who doesn't know my to well might see it. I am not to much of a Potty mouth IRL... Only around 4 people, and not even that often. Only when we are in an awkward topic. The only time that I have ever gotten a report was when I was at my friends house, said something err... Awkward, (Lol) and someone apparently ported the second I said it. And then before he ported away he said "I didnt report you" before I could say "Reported. My luck -_-". You will notice I haven't cursed in the commons ever (Except with that one typo with "SHIIPPPPS C:" (I had to use the bathroom at the time. Dont judge.) in the commons, talking about P101 after the NDA was lifted... Ya... How random... Pirate101 to that. LOL)

@Queen
I am entitled to my opinion... From a few recent things I have read, those posts are a little... To pushy I guess? The reason I am, is because I do the things in game, just that out of the game, I personally don't like to address people to the issues of this... I mean come on, there is like 500 other posts about it... I don't wanna put another post that is a repeat of one of those. (Not saying they are all the same, but about 25% of them have the same general meaning)

Explorer
Apr 05, 2012
I'm not going to bother trying to defend myself anymore. I'm tired of the people saying Wizard City Protectors are bad. It has been stated many times by other members what we stand for.

The group was formed to have a place to gather, share information and meet like-minded players. It's a place to feel like you're not alone in your quest to clean up the garbage that has spread across the spiral over the last few years.

I have not once seen any of the WCP members accuse EVERYONE of a certain age group to be breaking the rules. It is NOT everyone in that age rage that are constant abuser of rules, only a certain few that repeatedly flaunt the rules.

I am not a Hall Monitor.
I do not wear the Wizard City Protector badge any longer
I do not report random people for nothing.
I do not report for minor words, but will report derogatory words like "hoe" and similar.
I do not hide the fact I am a reporter or a member of Wizard City Protectors.

I do admit to being a person that reports if I am asked.
I do follow the code of conduct and terms of use.
I do try to get others to do the same.
I do reminding people of the terms they agreed to when they installed the software.

I will not post on this subject again. It has become a broken record of people saying WCP is a bad idea, and WCP members defending our actions.

Good day, and happy hunting.
"Alia" - Wizard City Protector

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Ronster, I have already given you the link to what you need to know. It does not matter WHERE in the game you curse. I certainly will not be chasing you to your home or anywhere else in the game. But if you choose to curse even in your home with or without friends it is AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Even those logs can be reviewed and sanctions can still be handed down.

I will no longer reply to you on this topic.

Defender
Aug 07, 2011
I find it very interesting that all these posts are made complaining about the WCP reporting them, etc., trying to depict us as the bullies -- basically these endless posts complaining about us seems rather bullying and designed to intimidate us into shutting up and going away. The Hall Monitors is a wonderful addition but they cannot be everywhere. KI simply can't hire enough to be everywhere 24/7. I want this game back -- for me and my grandson -- so I will continue to be standing there reporting as long as it is necessary. All weekend long partying has been going on in the fire tower and I have been there reporting. I am not trying to get into anyone's house. My reporting put a damper on the party this afternoon and someone invited everyone to a party at their house. Even if undectected as a reporter -- I was asked if I was a hall monitor and said no but I do report -- I wouldn't have tried to get to their house. However, if I am at someone's house and they break the ToU, yep, I am going to report them. And unfriend them. I don't need or want friends like that. They contribute to an atmosphere that is ruining this terrific game and I am relieved to see KI taking action to protect the Spiral from them.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
GrammyH wrote:
I find it very interesting that all these posts are made complaining about the WCP reporting them, etc., trying to depict us as the bullies -- basically these endless posts complaining about us seems rather bullying and designed to intimidate us into shutting up and going away. The Hall Monitors is a wonderful addition but they cannot be everywhere. KI simply can't hire enough to be everywhere 24/7. I want this game back -- for me and my grandson -- so I will continue to be standing there reporting as long as it is necessary. All weekend long partying has been going on in the fire tower and I have been there reporting. I am not trying to get into anyone's house. My reporting put a damper on the party this afternoon and someone invited everyone to a party at their house. Even if undectected as a reporter -- I was asked if I was a hall monitor and said no but I do report -- I wouldn't have tried to get to their house. However, if I am at someone's house and they break the ToU, yep, I am going to report them. And unfriend them. I don't need or want friends like that. They contribute to an atmosphere that is ruining this terrific game and I am relieved to see KI taking action to protect the Spiral from them.

GrammyH, the partying this weekend has been the worst I have seen so far. Like you, I will not follow any of these players to there houses, but they do need to be aware that even the chat there is LOGGED and even if not reported, KI can and will pass our sanctions when they read the logs that are going to be larger than normal from a players house and rules are broken.

As for making anymore replies to this topic, I think I am finished. It has been beaten to death already.

Fallon WinterLeaf Founding Member WCP: we will not be leaving the Spiral