Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 16, 2011
9
crystal2020164 on Feb 19, 2013 wrote:
idk why age really matters. I am younger than a teen and I have soloed the game easily with a myth. Why are so many people having trouble in Azteca? Does age really matter?
So older people just want to make sure they are not the only adult in a kids game. As far as age matter. I can tell when really young wizards add me cause they blow up your chat or some just hang out in The Commons. I add everyone and help them and after I help them I remove them and keep the adults on my list. Don't really know why I do that but I do. Anyways back to the point. It's just adults wanting to connect with other adults is all. We wasn't saying about younger wizards not having any skills and congrats on making it through that game.

Survivor
Jan 14, 2012
23
Definitely older. Like this game because there is time to think, necessary for this "non-twitch enabled" parent.

Also, I am working on a PhD in education, focusing on video games. Do any of you, young or old, have thoughts on games and learning?

Thanks.

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
2721
gillisr on Feb 26, 2013 wrote:
Definitely older. Like this game because there is time to think, necessary for this "non-twitch enabled" parent.

Also, I am working on a PhD in education, focusing on video games. Do any of you, young or old, have thoughts on games and learning?

Thanks.
Oh. I do hope that queenlybluebean is reading this post. I haven't seen many posts from her recently, but at one time she was very active on these Message Boards. You would have loved communicating with her.

Here is a link to one of the first posts that I will never forget from queenlybluebean. You might find this very interesting:

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/messageBoard/listPosts/game/39461?reset=1

Survivor
Jan 08, 2013
2
older player here as well im 24 and having been a paid member since they brought the game online. but hope you have happy gaming and good luck.

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
2721
gillisr on Feb 26, 2013 wrote:
Definitely older. Like this game because there is time to think, necessary for this "non-twitch enabled" parent.

Also, I am working on a PhD in education, focusing on video games. Do any of you, young or old, have thoughts on games and learning?

Thanks.
Hi again. Just another thought... you might want to start a new thread. You would probably get some good feedback, and hopefully, queenlybluebean will see it too. Maybe she will update you on her lessons.

And welcome to the game and the Message Boards too.

Survivor
Jan 14, 2012
23
AluraMist2 on Feb 27, 2013 wrote:
Hi again. Just another thought... you might want to start a new thread. You would probably get some good feedback, and hopefully, queenlybluebean will see it too. Maybe she will update you on her lessons.

And welcome to the game and the Message Boards too.
Thank you for the tips. I really enjoyed that entry. You see, I taught Physics, math, and programming for 23 years before undertaking my new adventure (that number should give you an idea of just how much "older" I am).

I will start a new thread, but it will have to wait until after class tonight. I hope to see you there!

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
2721
gillisr on Feb 27, 2013 wrote:
Thank you for the tips. I really enjoyed that entry. You see, I taught Physics, math, and programming for 23 years before undertaking my new adventure (that number should give you an idea of just how much "older" I am).

I will start a new thread, but it will have to wait until after class tonight. I hope to see you there!
Well, I worked in the Chemical Industry for 30+ years before retiring, and I won't tell you how many years I have been retired now. LOL...

I'll watch for your new thread too. Hope you get some good feedback.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
711
gillisr on Feb 26, 2013 wrote:
Definitely older. Like this game because there is time to think, necessary for this "non-twitch enabled" parent.

Also, I am working on a PhD in education, focusing on video games. Do any of you, young or old, have thoughts on games and learning?

Thanks.
Hi gillisr,

First, welcome to the Spiral, and welcome to these forums. There are many good people here and in-game who will help you acclimate, settle in, and find the Bazaar!

Honeybee suggested that I connect with you, since we have similar educational interests and goals. I am an English professor who specializes in integrating technology into "traditional" college curriculum. My focus has led me to a fascination with gaming as a means to teach and learn. If my college students would work as hard in their courses as I do in this game, I do believe the national IQ would leap upward exponentially

My other focus on gaming-as-educational-tool is in the sphere of home schooling. My husband and I teach our two sons at home, and we use lots of game-play to deliver instruction and encourage practice. LOL, you should see the fantastical-yet-functional roller coasters my 8 year old makes in his favorite blocky, diggy game

It's great to know there is another mind out there with a similar idea. I hope we can meet up and talk shop one day. I have a couple of edu-game concepts pretty well fleshed out already, one is a literature/history game, the other is related to Minecraft-style engineering. Amazing places, these game worlds. Such potential, and so much fun!

Warmest Regards,

Queenlybluebean/Iridian Shadowweaver

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
2721
Another note to gillisr: we should also point out that there are some fantastic fansites out there with a great community. The one I like the most is wizard101central.com. Check it out sometime.

Honeybee313 and AluraMist

Survivor
Jan 14, 2012
23
Canny B Moone on Feb 28, 2013 wrote:
Hi gillisr,

First, welcome to the Spiral, and welcome to these forums. There are many good people here and in-game who will help you acclimate, settle in, and find the Bazaar!

Honeybee suggested that I connect with you, since we have similar educational interests and goals. I am an English professor who specializes in integrating technology into "traditional" college curriculum. My focus has led me to a fascination with gaming as a means to teach and learn. If my college students would work as hard in their courses as I do in this game, I do believe the national IQ would leap upward exponentially

My other focus on gaming-as-educational-tool is in the sphere of home schooling. My husband and I teach our two sons at home, and we use lots of game-play to deliver instruction and encourage practice. LOL, you should see the fantastical-yet-functional roller coasters my 8 year old makes in his favorite blocky, diggy game

It's great to know there is another mind out there with a similar idea. I hope we can meet up and talk shop one day. I have a couple of edu-game concepts pretty well fleshed out already, one is a literature/history game, the other is related to Minecraft-style engineering. Amazing places, these game worlds. Such potential, and so much fun!

Warmest Regards,

Queenlybluebean/Iridian Shadowweaver
Ah, motivation! The Dean of my ed school suggested that a take a course on motivation from the psychology department focusing on Self-Determination Theory. If you look it up, the two men who developed the idea are still at my university...

Anyway, once I started to look at learning from a motivational perspective, all those "theories of learning" and "theories of teaching" started to look like different paths to the same end: motivating students (a very broad generalization, but a good conversation starter in the student lounge :-).

I appreciated your math lesson. My children are starting to gain a more intuitive understanding of probablity through this (and other) games. I worry about taking some of their motivation away if I turn a battle into a math lesson. Someone told me this is called "schooling" a game.

Anyway, it is good to know that there other interested people out there in the Spiral.

I have to pick up my wife and son in distant city, so I will be on the road for the next few days (spine surgery is a tricky thing). I will start a new thread when I get back, if not from the hospital tonight.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Survivor
Feb 01, 2013
1
I am soooo totally hooked on this gameI say play on you are never too old.

Survivor
Jun 25, 2012
24
My husband and I are not super old or super young and we both play. We love the game. I've become friends with many "older" players including couples like us. :)

Survivor
Jan 23, 2013
45
It is a game for ages 10+, but I do agree with those problems.

Survivor
Feb 04, 2013
1
21 years ago i started in the place called earth. Young for many. old for some.
However, much more experienced then most. Played most stations. N64, snes, nes, atari, dreamcast, lol anyways. I have been consistently amazed at W101. And i wish i had gotten into it years ago.
I Found myself wishing continuously. that the unpayed content in the game continued past the generic part of Wizardcity. I Made it to level 15 by repeat battles until i couldn't stand my own spells anymore. Before i gave up and sent KingsIsle the membership money. As much as it is worth it.
the content should go farther.

The only other problem to report so far is. That i can't seem to put this down..

Survivor
Aug 15, 2012
5
I am an 'older player' - and i want to comment on the 'kill stealing' issue you mentioned. After witnessing the situation you refer to many times myself, I believe that when a player enters a duel uninvited (or by accident, as is the case sometimes), wether a higher or lower level, should not recieve any reward (or penalty) for doing so. And that any resulting reward(s) should be forfeited to the player initiating the duel. This would allow a novice player to be exposed to more advanced play, yet not be hindered or have a quest interupted by those joining a duel uninvited. Even a less experienced player joining late in a more advanced duel (which i call 'riding on coat tails') can be quite troublesome. Giving the issue some consideration myself, I don't think it would be right to penalize a player joining a duel late (uninvited), however, that player should definitely not benefit from such an action that many times may be considered as 'rude'.

Survivor
Jun 25, 2012
24
jameswildest847 on Mar 8, 2013 wrote:
I am an 'older player' - and i want to comment on the 'kill stealing' issue you mentioned. After witnessing the situation you refer to many times myself, I believe that when a player enters a duel uninvited (or by accident, as is the case sometimes), wether a higher or lower level, should not recieve any reward (or penalty) for doing so. And that any resulting reward(s) should be forfeited to the player initiating the duel. This would allow a novice player to be exposed to more advanced play, yet not be hindered or have a quest interupted by those joining a duel uninvited. Even a less experienced player joining late in a more advanced duel (which i call 'riding on coat tails') can be quite troublesome. Giving the issue some consideration myself, I don't think it would be right to penalize a player joining a duel late (uninvited), however, that player should definitely not benefit from such an action that many times may be considered as 'rude'.
This is a touchy issue. Part of the idea behind the game is to work in teams and build friendships. Kill steals can be aggravating but at the same time when you are in a duel, you are playing as a team. The enemy gets killed, everyone gets credit and rewards, which is after all, the idea. however it is very aggravating when you spend your turns "buffing up" a spell with wards, traps, and globals only to have someone use your traps or wipe out the boss before you get your spell. It's one of those situations where they can't please everyone. I suggest people communicate and tell each other "Hey, I'm building up a spell so please don't use my traps" or something to that effect to avoid this situation. Keep in mind, you can't please everyone and there will be people who still take the shot despite your statement. You can always switch to a "perfect" realm where there are very few people and the chance of someone joining you is very slim, unless it's a friend. If it's a friend doing this, block them from being able to port to you during the times you don't want company. :)

Survivor
Feb 14, 2013
4
jameswildest847 on Mar 8, 2013 wrote:
I am an 'older player' - and i want to comment on the 'kill stealing' issue you mentioned. After witnessing the situation you refer to many times myself, I believe that when a player enters a duel uninvited (or by accident, as is the case sometimes), wether a higher or lower level, should not recieve any reward (or penalty) for doing so. And that any resulting reward(s) should be forfeited to the player initiating the duel. This would allow a novice player to be exposed to more advanced play, yet not be hindered or have a quest interupted by those joining a duel uninvited. Even a less experienced player joining late in a more advanced duel (which i call 'riding on coat tails') can be quite troublesome. Giving the issue some consideration myself, I don't think it would be right to penalize a player joining a duel late (uninvited), however, that player should definitely not benefit from such an action that many times may be considered as 'rude'.
My Dad Plays Wizard101

He is now a Fan Of it Thanks To Me

Survivor
Jan 14, 2012
23
CoolerDuncan1o1o1 on Mar 8, 2013 wrote:
My Dad Plays Wizard101

He is now a Fan Of it Thanks To Me
Good for you! That is what happened to me (my children got me to start playing). I have thanked them for it.

Eric Skywraith

Survivor
Jan 14, 2012
23
CastleLock on Feb 7, 2013 wrote:
Ummm Retired armed services and still young and playing.
Roger that, although starting to add on the years.

Eric Skywraith

Survivor
Jan 14, 2012
23
jameswildest847 on Mar 8, 2013 wrote:
I am an 'older player' - and i want to comment on the 'kill stealing' issue you mentioned. After witnessing the situation you refer to many times myself, I believe that when a player enters a duel uninvited (or by accident, as is the case sometimes), wether a higher or lower level, should not recieve any reward (or penalty) for doing so. And that any resulting reward(s) should be forfeited to the player initiating the duel. This would allow a novice player to be exposed to more advanced play, yet not be hindered or have a quest interupted by those joining a duel uninvited. Even a less experienced player joining late in a more advanced duel (which i call 'riding on coat tails') can be quite troublesome. Giving the issue some consideration myself, I don't think it would be right to penalize a player joining a duel late (uninvited), however, that player should definitely not benefit from such an action that many times may be considered as 'rude'.
I agree that this is a tough issue. I have accidentally been drawn into battles when I didn't realize that you couldn't walk around the battle arena without being brought in, and I have been one spell away from winning when people joined the battle (accidentally or otherwise) causing me to "die" in the next round because their entry drew in more opponents.

I don't know the answer, but, if new players experience the same navigation issues as I did, some of the KS can be forgiven. And, I don't think penalties are appropriate. Maybe reporting the players (I saw someone "steal" a wooden chest from my wife. It was her first day in game, and she didn't know what to do when she saw the chest. The other player jumped in front of her and took it, then said, "ha, ha" or something like that. I was so surprised that I forgot to see what the name was.

Eric Skywraith

Survivor
Jul 29, 2010
6
Older player here and my husband plays as well, lol. I got him hooked on this game lol

Survivor
Aug 31, 2011
4
I am an "older" player as well. I have been playing for about a year and a half. I got hooked instantly!

Survivor
Dec 04, 2009
20
I'm an "elder" player. I have 4 Wizards and my husband plays 6. (I also have 2 Pirates) I love this game better than most I've been on, though I find the cursing and fussing gets on my nerves. Of course the filters don't let the actual words show up, but the re-spelling of certain words still comes through. I may occasionally type in an aggrivation or two, but the only one around to catch it is my husband since we play on private chat most of the time. What can ya do ... kids will be kids (drama and all) and the only thing that really separates us is the number of years we've been at it
... Casperian

Survivor
Oct 22, 2012
1
Am older too! First now i found this thread and i was so happy. I thought was just me and maybe some few others. Am glad am not alone in this game ! <3

Survivor
Sep 20, 2009
6
I'm older, I play with my young daughter. :-) I stopped friending people since most are kids and most only bug me to give them crowns or stuff. :-( I, too, cant not stand the bad language and I report people a lot. If you see me and want to friend me, just let me know you are 'older' and I'll accept. :-)
Right now I only help my young daughter's character do battles in the afternoons since I'm stuck and cant do the ones I have.
Happy Gaming!