Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 02, 2010
Well, another Grandmother here. My oldest grandson got me interested, then I got my two youngest interested. The 16 year old no longer plays much, so I've sort of taken over his account. I'm totally addicted. As for letting people know I'm "older", I don't say much anymore. The first kid I told I was old enough to be his grandmother, argued that I was lying because I probably wouldn't even have a computer, and then he deleted me as a friend!

The only problem is, I play a lot in the daytime, and I'm having a hard time finding other adults to play with. I solo almost everything, but when you get to DS it's REALLY hard. I've been to two meet and greets for groups on w101 central, but the daytime one nobody showed up. Anybody else have this problem?

Mastermind
Jun 07, 2010
Older player here. Put it this way, I have a full-time job, I just bought a house last October. I am also coming from 5 years of WoW and 1 year of Runes of Magic. It is a little embarest to admit I play W101. The game is just so unique that it was a must try. The way Chat works in W101 is a little annoying, and confusing at the same time.

Survivor
Mar 21, 2009
I have been playing Wizard101 for over a year now and I am what you would consider an "older" gamer. I have gotten a few of my friends to even play. I really like this game

Delver
Jun 09, 2010
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)

A "MOM" here. My Son actually got me addicted to this game. LOL... I think I understand the "OP"s (Original Posts) conflict with this "other game". And I am pretty sure which game it is. I too, had the problem of people steal killing.

They would join in at the last minute to get some of the lute or even get all of it. Which I feel was so wrong. In this game its not as bad. But I do get people that "join in" without asking if they can at first. I would really like to see a feature that requires a button to pop up that asks if they may "join in". Because sometimes I don't "want" someone to join in as I like to solol sometimes. Or I am low on hit points.

It ticks me off when someone comes in and joins me when I am in a hurry or low on points. I have just enough points to win the round I am in. But I can't take two or three more hits and it really bugs me. And in truth you can't "expect" everyone to have the decency to "ask" first. Every once in awhile someone will ask. This is why they should have to get permission first. Or maybe even fix it so that unless you are in a group you can't join. This way soloists like me have less hassle from the other players.

I did discover one feature I do like. The one where you can turn off or on the transport so you don't have friends coming in and spoiling your fight. I discovered it quickly and use it quite frequently. If I get one of my friends bugging me to port to me while I am in a fight I just simply ignore the message and continue fighting. If they continue to be bothersome and they disrupt my fighting I put them on full "ignore".

Mastermind
Jun 07, 2010
noyeh wrote:
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)

A "MOM" here. My Son actually got me addicted to this game. LOL... I think I understand the "OP"s (Original Posts) conflict with this "other game". And I am pretty sure which game it is. I too, had the problem of people steal killing.

They would join in at the last minute to get some of the lute or even get all of it. Which I feel was so wrong. In this game its not as bad. But I do get people that "join in" without asking if they can at first. I would really like to see a feature that requires a button to pop up that asks if they may "join in". Because sometimes I don't "want" someone to join in as I like to solol sometimes. Or I am low on hit points.

It ticks me off when someone comes in and joins me when I am in a hurry or low on points. I have just enough points to win the round I am in. But I can't take two or three more hits and it really bugs me. And in truth you can't "expect" everyone to have the decency to "ask" first. Every once in awhile someone will ask. This is why they should have to get permission first. Or maybe even fix it so that unless you are in a group you can't join. This way soloists like me have less hassle from the other players.

I did discover one feature I do like. The one where you can turn off or on the transport so you don't have friends coming in and spoiling your fight. I discovered it quickly and use it quite frequently. If I get one of my friends bugging me to port to me while I am in a fight I just simply ignore the message and continue fighting. If they continue to be bothersome and they disrupt my fighting I put them on full "ignore".

It is annoying sometimes when someone joins right out of the blue, a lot of times it doesn't bother me to much, some fights I wish someone would join. Others I wish they didn't. I too turn off my transport to friends. If you want you can also Flee on them, then come back.

Survivor
Sep 27, 2008
Older gamer here.. I actually did not play any online games until my daughter started playing. She found this game on the internet when it was in Beta.. I started playing soon after when I had some down time from a knee injury. So from Beta to Live and still here... I have to say I love the game just as much or more than my daughter...
:D
Kaitlyn Jadestrider
Grandmaster Life

Survivor
Jun 25, 2010
Well as a fellow life wizard i would say play more commercials for it.Or lower the price of the cards. I know it would be more helpful to you to get more players and more money.So maybe you will take my advice or you will say this crazy little girl.I will never do that.But try it i bet it will work.

Grace

Adept Therugist

Delver
Jun 09, 2010
Drifter69 wrote:
noyeh wrote:
LaadyX wrote:

It is annoying sometimes when someone joins right out of the blue, a lot of times it doesn't bother me to much, some fights I wish someone would join. Others I wish they didn't. I too turn off my transport to friends. If you want you can also Flee on them, then come back.

Oh I do use flee now. But only if all "three" beasts are fully charged when they first break into my dual. When I first start out and someone joins in without asking I flee and leave them to the mercy of not "two" but "two" with the "one" they brought with them equalling "three". So they usually end up either dying or having to flee themselves. Its easy for me to get my mana back. And I hope that teaches them a lesson. But still I hate having to start over because of some impolite person.

At least now by "fleeing" they have to actually "earn" what they reap. Unfortunately fleeing when your two creatures are almost dead really doesn't teach much to the ones that come in right before they die because they can easily kill them off and then kill the one they dragged in. So fleeing only works well when you have "three" fully charged or at least the first two are nearly charged beasts. Otherwise it is a lost cause to flee to teach a lesson.

Survivor
May 06, 2010
Hi I dont consider myself neither old nor young but then i am twice the age most most people playing lol I dont have an issue with it.

Survivor
Apr 19, 2009
LaadyX wrote:

i am older to my youger sis plays to and some things people say......
she should NOT be hearing yet maybe not for 10 years i think any one caught saying NAGHTY things should be reported

rachel emeraldpetal storm

Survivor
Aug 10, 2009
hi love reading all the posts from the older players im 42 and proud of it. and love playing this with my kids . its fun. it would be good if the adults could have a diff colour talk bubble or somthing so we know its an adult. anyway its brilliant fun keep up the good work.

Survivor
Aug 10, 2009
Older person here also. I started the game just to see how it was for my sisters kids, because she don't like them to be harassed in online games. I like the way things are handled. I find that it is much nicer then some online games I played. I only come up with one problem so far. Help Support I really slow.

Survivor
Nov 26, 2009
well i am not a grandparent but i am a parent, i love this game, i really dont have friends in my area so it keeps me busy and omg i am so addicted, i can barely clean my house and cook for my family, i think i need an intervention

Survivor
Jun 11, 2009
I've been a D&D Dungeon Master and player since 1982. I've submitted and wrote several adventure modules for then, TSR Games (yeah, I'm an old dude!) I've played 1000s of Magic the Gathering duels (MtG obviously is the inspiration for Wizard 101) and I've been a MtG regional champion.
I've played numerous tabletop miniature war games and I've designed games and settings for Games Workshop.
The game is great sometimes for kids but I would like to see more randomness and less repetition in the spell effects. (Yes, I understand fully about program size, bandwidth and memory.)

I enjoy the game but I believe it can be too addicting for some people.
Some days it's better to just go outside and play ball!

Signed:
A dad and youth sports coach

Survivor
Jun 04, 2009
Huzzah older players! Like many older players I find the adult MMORPG games too aggressive and violent for my taste, not to mention the fact that the female avatars were little more than eye candy. I got tired of being farmed for what I would work hard to earn because I didn't desire to be aggressive.

Wizard101 is an excellent alternative and enjoyable quest based format. The graphics and animation are wonderful! The one wish I would have for us older players is to allow us to have older avatars. Most all my players have had white hair, hoping that would give a message to the younger players but I guess that doesn't work. An older avatar would set a message that it is indeed a family game for 10 to 101 as the advertising has stated.

Maybe we could even have a realm where older people gather together to play and socialize. It could be fun. Like any other realm anyone could go there but they would know that they can expect to encounter older people there. I have had kids who know I am an adult and seek me out to help them when they are stuck. Kind of like the way it is in real life, don't you think? KI invited people al all ages into Wizard101 but then they make us invisible. Hmmm...

Btw I don't have white hair, well not all of it is white yet, and I am truly enjoying playing with my children and grandchildren. We had to get 3 family accounts just to fit everyone!

Thanks, KI, for a great gaming experience!

Roslyn Griffinheart ~ Balance Grandmaster
Roslyn Nightshade ~ Death Grandmaster
Roslyn Rubyheart ~ Fire Grandmaster Wannabe (-:

PS. And yes, I do get my housework done, hold down a full-time job, cook for and spend time with my kids too. lol

Survivor
Jun 14, 2010
I too am an adult wizard and this is my story:

My father-in-law (Grandmaster Fire). Played the game at our house while on vacation. My kids were interested, so I set them up with accounts. I set myself up just to monitor them and to set parent controls. After helping them set up, (elem school age), I became hooked!

What I like the most about the game is the quest basis, I find it very entertaining for me and educational for my kids. Their reading and critical thinking skills have dramatically improved and we have only played for about 1 month.

I too have found younger wizard friends call on me for help. They also appreciate when I ask them questions about details, quests etc, it really improves their confidence.

I would enjoy a area for adult only play, it would be nice to get away from some of the kid drama.

Thanks and see you around the Spiral,

William Nightflame
level 25 Pyromancer

Survivor
Jul 10, 2009
Got into it through grandson, with commercial on his cartoon network.
Wish you had "rooms" for us older one's to play together, when we aren't playing with our children, grandchildren.

LadyOriel wrote:
It was very fun to read everyone's story. If you don't mind, I would like to ask everyone a few questions --

1. Do you consider yourself a gamer, casual gamer, or neither?
2. How did you hear about Wizard101? (friend/family, TV, article, etc.)
3. If you were to give us advice on how to reach other players like yourself, how should we do it? And what should we say?

If you feel more comfortable emailing rather than posting, you can do that too. Just send your reply to community@wizard101.com.

Thank you!

Survivor
Dec 11, 2008
Explorer
Mar 14, 2010
Two of my in-game friends are older players. One I think is a father, the other I know for sure is a grandfather. I myself am not, but there are two for you.

Survivor
Jul 07, 2010
lap top and rocking chair with kids of my own and about to be a granny for the first time...i enjoy the game very much and the drama free deal works wonders...my gamer addicted son is proud to say his moms a gamer too...cant beat them join them in game and beat them here i say...lol blessings all!!

Survivor
May 26, 2010
Hi,
I almost quit, and threw the subscription money down the drain. All I have found to play with is 10 years olds. I am a retired person. I will ask a question, and I don't know if they don't see their chat window, can't reply from the drop down list, or were just brought up being inconsiderate, but I would love to find some adults to play with. I don't find little kiddies fun. LOL..sorry...just don't.

One of my players is..omg...Suri, I think. She's a level 25 Necro..I think. I have other lower ones, but not interested enough in this game to do anything with them. Everything I do, I have to solo. I have been on just about every server created looking for a hintof an adult, but you can't tell.

I have played Everquest since it began..I have all Master Crafters and am at the top of all my levels...so I was looking for something a little different. Please adults...where are you?!!!! :D

Explorer
Feb 18, 2010
Meet you in Pixie? With the many adult wizards playing wizard 101, why don't we just unofficially adopt a realm. Pixie is in the middle of the ralm list so it would not be congested like Ambrose and Balestrom. If we meet in the same realm, there will be less menu chatters and more mature behavior. Just a thought.

Michael Raven Heart
Level 41 Necromancer
White Krokotopia Crowns Gear and wings

Explorer
Mar 11, 2010
I'm an older player.

I think a lot of the kids believe games are for them and them alone, and that parents exist primarily to provide for them.
You get the look when you tell them you are an adult here. I pass on that info whenever I'm asked to be someone's girlfriend.

My motto is - Children enrich our lives. They don't replace them.

So, to answer your thread title - sure are. :D

Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
I checked this game out for my daughter who is just starting to get interested in rp games. I checked it out for her and I play more than she does. lol

Survivor
Feb 08, 2010
i want to get an older clique going as a group in here
any one want to meet up and join?