Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 18, 2009
Survivor
Jan 18, 2009
Older player here. I got hooked when I was checking it out for my grandchildren :)

Survivor
Jun 07, 2009
I too am an older player. I came to check it out for MyPoints and got hooked. I have been playing for a few weeks and just the other day my daughter asked to create a character. I love that her and I can go on together and play. I have been a gamer forever but usually we don't like the same type of games. Kudos to KI for a fun, family friendly game for all to enjoy! :D

Explorer
Jul 12, 2008
I am an "older" player who started this way back at the begining(beta testing). I originally signed up as the "parent" account for my niece and nephew cause no one else in the family is computer literate. I checked it out on the website and said "ok i will do this for you". About 3 weeks into the Beta test I received an IM saying I hadnt logged in to play. Apparently the parents were supposed to play along with the kids, so I started playing and well... My niece, nephew, fiance and myself are all avid players now... Yes being ... *cough* my age... I would have thought I was going to get bored but instead I sit here getting "antsie" waiting for the new worlds and spells. My fiance and I play LATE night(9-10pm and later) and you would be amazed how many players are on at 2 and 3am .. LOL.. I have a feeling there are alot more Adult players then you think .. ;)

Heather Ravenblood
Level 50 - Death/Life

Defender
Feb 18, 2009
Welcome to the great game of Wizard 101. I am an older player as well and I started playing this game because my son saw the commercials and begged and begged to play. I tried it out for a little over a month before I let him play to see how the game truly is. I have to admit that there are some, few but some, people on this game, as there is on any game, that will try to steal the good hits, the big bosses prizes and all that but it basically all comes down to who or what boss your fighting and if you have enough friends online to help you from the thieves. Don't get discouraged though, you can always repeat the battle to try again.....which in this game is called farming.

As far as rudeness and such....there is some but if reported, KI really does take care of them. I've seen the results of them disciplining or banning some from talking on here in bad ways and there's all these great restrictions you can put on so your kids are not subjected to it all. I have my son on Menu Chat only and he doesn't complain, he likes that he can talk but doesn't complain about not having to read everything...lol.

Well, there's my view,

Hunter SilverHeart
Level 49 Pyromancer/Diviner

Survivor
Jun 19, 2009
RoloX2 wrote:
I would say that my wife and I are older than the types who use "boyfriend" and "girlfriend". :-)

Well, let me put it to you this way...my mother and father didn't wed until my mother was 30 or 31 years old and he was 34 or 35 and I know quite a few others in that age range (and even older) who are also still dating so you never know. ;)

You must admit, though, that different games draw in different crowds. For example, another game I play has a higher average gamer age from what I've heard. It's so complicated and takes so much time that most younger gamers simply don't have the patience and some outright can't understand it. My boyfriend has been playing for a month or so and we still have loads to learn and careers to figure out and what have you, it's very complex. So consequently, whether you're an "older gamer" or not also depends upon the game. When you're, say, 20 and playing a game whose average gamers are in their 30's, you're not exactly older but if you're 30 and playing a game that mostly teens play, you sort of are. I just haven't run into any players that I know are older and I've definitely run into little kids...I could tell by the lack of manners and inability to communicate...

"follow me"
"Okay..."
"can you help me?"
"Sure, what do you need?"
*runs off*
"-_-"
*five minutes later*
"Um, where are we going and what are we doing?"
*silence*
....*warps home*

There's, of course, nothing wrong with playing W101, I just hadn't met anyone near my age or older until I made this thread and so I started to wonder where all of the older gamers were and if there is a substantial number of them at present or not. Especially since I'm not playing for my kids, I saw it advertised on TV and was looking for a new game to replace the old one I played so I'm just here because I like it. ^_^

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
Older player, but not too old.
Was able to officially and legally buy alcohol last August in the United States.
Lol.

I got my friend to join and she's in her 40s.

Explorer
Feb 18, 2009
I started playing when my son, who at the time was not a teenager, downloaded the game and was playing it. I admit I was peeved a bit that a game that called itself kid-friendly would allow a child to download the game. I went to the website, trying to look around, clicked on the parents tab, and started reading.

Realizing it sounded an awful lot like Toontown, I thought, Ok, this is a scam to get parents to think it's ok for their kids to play. And decided to start a character and play it to see exactly how it was corrupting my son. And my computer.

Now, 4 or 5 months later, I have one grandmaster life, one who is level 46, I have a storm who is in MooShu, and a Balance in Krokotopia. I've made countless wizards and deleted them to start them over. I spent quite a bit on crowns. I've even leveled my sons wizard up a bit. Oh, and am paying for 3 accounts now, for my son, myself, and my niece :)

I'm hooked :) My son is a teenager, and I'm an older player :) Heck, if I were a wizard, with my age I'd probably be in MooShu hehe.

I have friends online that are of all ages. And only one time, when some young boy asked me to be his girl, and I said, thank you, but I'm probably old enough to be your mom, was I told sheesh, go get a life LOL

Between working and college (yep, I am a full time college student too, decided it's never too late to get a degree), I am not playing Wizard101 as much as I'd like right now, but I'm still playing it more than I probably should :)

I've met people in their 20's. People who were grandparents. One who was a great-grandparent, playing with their great-grandchildren (which I thought was so awesome!). I've met parents who played with their kids. And one person who was stationed overseas in the military who played with his son or daughter who lived in the United States. I've met two people who lived on different continents who were related and used the game as a way to have fun together.

I think this is truly a game for all ages. It may be geared towards the younger crowd, but it's still engaging enough to keep us older peoples attention :)

Explorer
Jan 07, 2009
I dunno but I once was wandering through Krok and saw a little message saying: 'BRB my son needs help with something.' So your answer is yes, I guess.

Survivor
Apr 26, 2009
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)

I'm not a kid anymore and I really want to ask this. EO? If was I left there 2 years ago. It hasn't gotten any better since then I've heard. In fact, I logged in a month or so ago just to see if anything had changed and it hadn't. But anyway, yes I'm older.

It was very fun to read everyone's story. If you don't mind, I would like to ask everyone a few questions --

1. Do you consider yourself a gamer, casual gamer, or neither?
2. How did you hear about Wizard101? (friend/family, TV, article, etc.)
3. If you were to give us advice on how to reach other players like yourself, how should we do it? And what should we say?

If you feel more comfortable emailing rather than posting, you can do that too. Just send your reply to community@wizard101.com.

Thank you!

Survivor
Feb 13, 2009
I too am an older gamer, my two children are not old enough to play on the computer quite yet. I have played several other online games, and this one has by far been the most fun and addictive game I've played yet. And I second the person who said being up way to late playing this game . And to answer your questions:
1. I guess i'm a casual gamer, but I really only play one online game, which is W101. But when it comes to this game, I'm hooked!
2. I actually saw a comercial for this game on the TV when my kiddos were watching cartoon.
3. And as far as reaching other players? I dont know if I could give you all any advise on that because you have a huge player population right now, so whatever you are doing is obviously right!

Survivor
Nov 02, 2008
LadyOriel wrote:
It was very fun to read everyone's story. If you don't mind, I would like to ask everyone a few questions --

3. If you were to give us advice on how to reach other players like yourself, how should we do it? And what should we say?

If you feel more comfortable emailing rather than posting, you can do that too. Just send your reply to community@wizard101.com.

Thank you!

I become more of a gammer lately, saves on money. My son showed me this game and like anything he does I get involved.

How to reach others like me ? I think the most popular ways work best, media. You have some good parents here and that makes us old people, I'm close to half century, a good natured bunch that have been playing electronicially for some time. You could show a frumpy kid asking Wizards 101 for a computer for their parent, lol.

If you ever decide to go after an adult market with a new game and I hope you do, consider; I'll pay for a nice group of people to play with and talk to, nothing too complex so we can talk yet something to talk about, lol.

I could go into more detail but hey who's paying who here ?

Thanks,
Oran Jade Hunter ;-]

Defender
May 15, 2009
LaadyX wrote:
For example, another game I play has a higher average gamer age from what I've heard. It's so complicated and takes so much time that most younger gamers simply don't have the patience and some outright can't understand it.

I'm curious, what game is that?

MissNat wrote:

Was able to officially and legally buy alcohol last August in the United States.
I got my friend to join and she's in her 40s.

Sounds scandalous!

LadyOriel wrote:

1. Its my primary means of entertainment. And I have much leisure time as I'm a DINK and I don't watch TV.
2. Beckett's EverQuest 10th anniversary issue; the W101 article showed it was a CCG game that adults would also enjoy. (I was a hardcore M:tG player.)
3. Get your install files onto game-download sites. Increase your game card distribution to include games/electronics stores and department stores. (sit on the same shelf as WoW, etc. online and brick-and-mortar)

Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
Hello Lady Oriel. I would have to say to your questions, no at first I was not a gamer. My youngest son when he was still living here tried to get me into on online game that I just didnt care for. I loved to play video games but got bored with it. I saw the commercial on tv one day and it peaked my interest, especially since it involved fantasy. (huge Harry Potter Fan here) and it looked really interesting. I didnt see the commercial again for a few weeks and then saw it again and got the web site. I got on and in the same day I was hooked. My two youngest sons, both grown, laughed at me when I told them I got hooked on a online game, and told me it was about time. I got them hooked on the game, too. Word of mouth is the good, but I think maybe in your commercial highlight a little more for the older crowd as well as the younger crowd. I think I answered all the questions. I am glad I found this game and enjoy it everyday. Thanks again.

Survivor
Mar 02, 2009
I'm an oldster myself. I got hooked when my kids started playing this. In fact, my wizard has long grey hair just like me!

Survivor
Aug 09, 2008
LadyOriel wrote:

Thank you!

I do consider myself a gamer.
I learned about wizard through friends on the AdultSwim message boards back last summer when beta opened.
Advertise on Adult Swims block on CN. Lots and lots of adults watch their programming and this game would appeal to that crowd (IE) Anime watchers and adult males 18 to 35.

Delver
Sep 25, 2008
I am no longer a teenager but I'm not at school anymore. Ok I'll just say I finished school in 2005.

Anyway I don't have children. This is the most awesome game I have ever played in the histroy of the universe. My other console games do not live up to this. It is an easy thing to finish with cool storylines.

I quit other games that I did not have time for because I play this game now. It was toontown and getting a bit childish for me so I switched to this one.

WIZARD101 ROCKS MY WORLD! I want a job where I can live in fantasy world. I have a Certificate II in Basic 3D animation. I'm studying now Teach english overseas. I'm good at English and good at using computers. I need ajob. I'm unemployed and playing games with mum screaming get off and study. Which I do as well. LOL :P

Regards, Mary Windstrider Level 46 Pyromancer
Mary Deathdreamer Level 20 Necromancer
Emma Emeraldhunter Level 15 Theurgist
Donna Thundertail Level 5 Diviner

Explorer
Feb 18, 2009

I'm a former hard core gamer, now a casual gamer (38 years old btw)

My son downloaded it, and he was going through a phase of "lets see what I can get past mom", so I looked into it. The website seemed to good to be true LOL A kid friendly game based on cards and turns? Please. It had Pokemon, Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh rip off all over it. Joke was on me :-)

Ads in parenting magazines? Such as Parents and Child? I'd say ads on Disney and Nick, but they are already there (not sure if on both, but I hear them quite a bit :-) ).

If it's possible, perhaps get a mailing list and send out a postcard mailer? Or send out a little postcard mailer to schools and ask them to distribute them. Maybe give schools a monetary incentive to do just that, something like 50 cents a month to each person who subscribes using a specific school code? Schools are hurting, some more than others, and any money helps. Also sending something showing the educational benefits would help too. My sons teacher was resistant to putting this on the computers in her classroom, until I sat down and showed her the educational side of it. She liked the limited dictionary and the fact that you had to spell words correctly. And planning ahead, etc.

Unfortunately, going through kids isn't always the answer. I've learned this past week alone that three of my sons friends parents don't monitor a thing they do (sadly). Yes, these are all 7th graders, but that's when you really have to be more watchful I think (given what I've seen them try to do on my computer, I know they are doing it on their home computer, and it boggles my mind that their parents aren't aware, or the one parent who said "I can't stop him".. huh? Want to make a bet? You can stop him if you wanted to :-) ).

I think advertising (when it's live of course) the 18+ chat - how it's more freedom for adults, safety measures put in, but still safe if your youngester happens to read it, etc.

I think the cards have gone a long ways, in Rite-Aid I had a person see the ones I got, and ask me what they were for. Her comment was that she wished there was a brochure or something there that she could take home about the game. She did end up buying a card, after we talked about the game for a bit.

That's all I can think of right now.

I think you have a wonderful game here. Seriously. I am taking a Word Processing class and an Earth Science class right now. These are 12 week classes being condensed into 6 weeks, and one would think the Word Processing class (MS Word) would be easy, and it is, mostly. But tonight, after completing 2 of the last 4 assignments due by Friday, and studying for my final Earth Science test series, I wanted a break. So I loaded up Wizard101 and defeated some bad monster types roaming around Dragonspyre. It was nice, because I didn't have to think too much, but still played my math game in my head (where I see if i can figure out how much damage I will do based on percentages added or subtracted by shields, etc, or figure out that the vampire did 417 damage to me, so that's 208 added health to the mob - before it shows the added health to whatever horrible monster did the vampire on me :-) ). And if I get defeated, so what. I don't lose anything but the time it takes to play the potion game to replenish the potion I use to get back to full health and mana.

I think only once did I actually get upset at the game. And i was having a rotten day to begin with from start to finish anyhow. Overall, it's a great game where you don't have to worry about anyone "kill-stealing (KSing)" your monster. You don't have to worry about someone taking your camp. Completely stress free :-) And Fun!!!

Explorer
Feb 18, 2009
I'd also like to mention disabilities and players.

As I said in a previous post, I am 38 years old.

I had perfect 20/20 vision until October 2006, when I contracted an ultra rare eye disease. I went from reading a book a day to, until recently, maybe 2 books a year. My screen resolution was HUGE!

One eye has no central vision in it anymore, and I get shots in my eye to maintain my low vision in my other eye.

As a person who is now a Low Vision person, I have almost no problem playing the game and reading the cards. With the added voice overs, it's actually been more enjoyable when I'm having a "bad" eye day.

So there is that segment to possibly tap into. I know quite a few people from my retinal specialists office who used to play games online, but can't due to their loss of vision and it becoming too hard for them. I tell them about this game, and how it's easy to read. The fonts are good, the size is great, and it's certainly large enough so that me, with my 70/20 in one eye and 400/20 in the other to see just fine :-) And this coming from a person who sometimes has to use her 3x magnifying glass on the computer screen to see other games and websites at times.

So there's another market to perhaps look into? Though unsure how that one could be approached.

Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
Here here CC. I never thought of that. My husband who is recently disabled, spinal cord injury, has a hard time with his motor skills so he watches me play. As a matter of fact he yells at me if I havent been on yet when he wakes up. I am slowly getting him to where he can use the buttons and since there are not many to master it is coming along nicely. Thanks again CC for sharing.

Survivor
Aug 06, 2008

I would say neither, because I am not into chat rooms or other online game stuff. I ran across this one killing time at work surfing the web. I play the game to relieve stress after work.

I Google the word “wizard” and found the Beta test been hooked every since. Just opened my second account, because it was getting hard to find someone to do the towers in DS my niece think I have lost it, but I am hooked.

You could advertise the game as a stress reliever, because it does relieve my stress after work.

Say something like: “Come play Wizard101 it is a great stress reliever, our Boss are just as annoying as yours in real life, but you get to slap ours around. “ Just Joking” but it is true it helps me to battle the bosses after a stressful day at work.

***On a side note, it would be nice to know; who are the adults on the game. Even though I am getting a little better at telling who is an adult and who is not.

Survivor
May 23, 2009
I am getting pretty close to middle aged. I don't think this game is about demographics. I realize most of it is geared for a younger audience but the game play and strategy involved I believe is actually attractive to a lot of ages who can appreciate the craftsmanship in the programming.

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
LadyOriel wrote:

Thank you!

1. I guess I'd be considered neither. I don't buy computer games all the time & I'm not a hardcore gamer. I'll play games when I have nothing else to do & when I'm trying to pass time. I've wanted a Wii forever. Finally got one last year. Played it actively for a few months & now probably only play it once or twice a month. I used to play this game all hours of the day, but now that I'm in Dragonspyre, I've had to cut back because I need help from my friend. My Myth spells aren't doing much of anything & I keep getting killed.

2. I saw the commercials for her on Nickelodeon quite often & one morning around 2am, I decided to download it. Before I knew it, it was 8am in the morning. Lol.

3. How I've talked people in joining was by telling them how easy it was. Told them that unlike many other computer games, you don't a million keys to use to get around. You have your arrows to move & that's all you basically need. Since most everyone I know is adults & they have kids, I mention the great parental controls. Told them if their kid is under 13, they can set it so they cant actually CHAT with others, but have a specific drop menu they can use to chat & that they can't see what others say. If you get lost in the game, you have an arrow that can direct you around, which most other games don't have.

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
RoyGBiv wrote:

***On a side note, it would be nice to know; who are the adults on the game. Even though I am getting a little better at telling who is an adult and who is not.

My main character is Tasha Rainbowblood & I'm in DS at the moment trying to finish up.
I sometimes pop into WC to help out newer players.