Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Who goes first?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 10, 2009
As any veteran PvP player will know the wizard who gets to go first each round gains an enormous advantage.

I am wondering if the developers have considered any way to level the playing field? For example, what about randomizing who goes first each round?

I have no idea if this would work, if would probably make PvP strategies a lot more complicated, but is this necessarily a bad thing?

Or perhaps giving the advantage to the lower ranked player would not be such a bad idea.

What do others think? Any other ideas on how to address this inherent imbalance in PvP combat?

Survivor
Apr 02, 2009
Lyrren wrote:
As any veteran PvP player will know the wizard who gets to go first each round gains an enormous advantage.

I am wondering if the developers have considered any way to level the playing field? For example, what about randomizing who goes first each round?

I have no idea if this would work, if would probably make PvP strategies a lot more complicated, but is this necessarily a bad thing?

Or perhaps giving the advantage to the lower ranked player would not be such a bad idea.

What do others think? Any other ideas on how to address this inherent imbalance in PvP combat?
I'm glad you brought this up. I am a veteran pvp player myself and i know what its like to go second in a ranked pvp. I do think that the other player(s) get an advantage when they go first. It makes things easier for them them. I would greatly appreciate that KI does something about this. I have no idea what could fix this but i'm sure you guys can think of something

Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
A simple game of rock-paper-scissors would do this justice, or perhaps a mere coin toss? I don't know how the system is designed currently, but it seems random enough.

In instances, the turn order is decided from the first battle it seems, and every proceeding battle follows suit. In street brawls, I find the enemies casting first most often, with an OCCASIONAL break in the pattern (this is most frustrating in MooShu and Dragonspyre where virtually every enemy is equipped with Weakness and typically using it JUST before an attack).

In PvP as most would agree, the lower level/ranked player ought to go first (even though this shouldn't be a problem, if the matching system functions properly, as the participants would be fairly close in level/rank) WITH THE CURRENT SYSTEM. However, a new system is what we really need.

1-2-3 DRAW! Heads I win, tails you lose.

Defender
Apr 25, 2009
In a perfectly matched duel (which happens ZERO times in the current system), the team who goes first will undoubtly win (unless their only healing spells are the pixie they got in unicorn way, and the other team is all life wizards).

Since KI has said nothing about fixing the matching system, then the team with the combined lower level should go first. Then it would be somewhat more fair.

Only somewhat though. The matching system still needs to be based on level and not rank. Same with the rank point system. Sure, I'm a corporal, and everyone else is privates, but they were all grandmasters. If I won, I would want like 50 points, not 9.

Developer
The matching system changed its emphasis recently to lean more toward matching levels. Hopefully this helped! :)

Defender
Apr 25, 2009
Oh wow, thanks Professor! I need to go see if I'm still being matched with grandmasters.