Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The word, "Noob"

AuthorMessage
Squire
Dec 21, 2008
564
theshoal12 wrote:
Now remember people, noob orginally was not an insult. Now it is used as an insult. But banning it would just mean people would use replacements instead of noob. Like or no o be. Will banning it really make a differance? Who knows, if we do ban it people might even start calling lower levels other mean things that don't have to so with how long they have been playing the game! I say we should find another way to solve this problem. How? I don't know. Just try looking at the problem from a different angle, and post even the smallest ideas, which may trigger a bigger chain of solutions.

-Jacob Firehunter, level 60 pyromancer
-Jacob Stormhunter, level 34 diviner
-Jacob Lifehunter, level 12 thuergest (ugh I don't think I spelled it right XD)


Well I wouldn't hear it because I have filtered chat.

Survivor
Feb 08, 2009
5
Agreed! The word "noob" should be banned. This is a family oriented game and most of the populace are made up of children. Ignoring players who use this word is the simplest solution for adult players with an adult mindset and we cannot expect our children to have such minds. (I do not underestimate the mind of a child, believe me.) But regardless, the word has way too much negative connotations attached to it so why not get rid of it. It does nothing but cause grief and strife amongst the citizens of the spiral.

Mastermind
Mar 28, 2009
328
I use it correctly :D I choose to ignore the people who call others "noob" because obviously there not smart enough to look in a dictionary before they dicide to call people names. A lot of Bad words you think of are way different in the dictionary. I can't use some words even in open chat though maybe it means happy and colerful (look it up in a thesaurus, suprisingly is a bad word) Not just noob but all of it has gotten out of hand.

Survivor
Aug 02, 2011
5
DokkenShang wrote:
I agree with WizardWarrior1193, and keep in mind that I have been the target of this comment myself as explained above. That certainly wasn't the first time; just the one time that irked me enough to do something. Anyway I agree that ignoring it is the best policy. Banning the word seems a bit to much.

Honestly I didn't know the intent of this thread was to propose a ban of the word. I was under the impression we were sharing our experiences as well as to help the community at large become more aware that some people are offended when that particular label is applied to them. Speaking of which it is sad indeed Jeetor made his post. I'm surprised it slipped by moderation since it is clearly meant to be inflammatory and insulting.

They wont allow many things. But they allow noob? The need to get rid of that. I totally agree.

Survivor
Oct 20, 2009
3
Well, some of me agrees with banning it but the other half doesnt,
see If we ban noob people will say something else like stupid, retard, moron, ect. and it will be more harmful and hurtful :x But if we keep up with it people will be using it more and more often and hurt more people. so today i was pvping with a master and i'm a legend so after i beat him he says: Weak noobs these days!! and i'm like ok what the heck?

The real meaning of noob is new to the game and i really think only lvl 1s should be called that :-) But really guys how matue are we to call lower lvls noobs?????

Answer: Not really Mature at all :x

Mastermind
Sep 19, 2009
301
Rihanna12 wrote:
I'm sure you walk around hearing people saying the word, noob, I hate that word. Did you know: That some people think noobs are dumb people. It's a common misunderstanding. I don't think people should make fun of people at most level 12, because they were one at one point, even I was one (so cute when I was just a little apprentice theurgist), so I think the text chat should block the word, noob, because it's not correctly used, and I don't like it all!

Caroline Sunbright
Grandmaster theugist level 50

what does that have to do with pvp

Survivor
Dec 31, 2009
37
Being a thaumaturge, I have almost gotten used to the word 'noob'. It hurts more people than amuses, and I don't want any wizard to feel afraid of these mean people, like I was once before. Please! If you can't ban the word, then (all of you) please think about the other wizard before you say such hurtful words!
Destiny Soultamer Level 35 Thaumaturge, and NOT a noob!

Defender
Oct 15, 2009
130
akanaezine wrote:
Well, some of me agrees with banning it but the other half doesnt,
see If we ban noob people will say something else like stupid, retard, moron, ect. and it will be more harmful and hurtful :x But if we keep up with it people will be using it more and more often and hurt more people. so today i was pvping with a master and i'm a legend so after i beat him he says: Weak noobs these days!! and i'm like ok what the heck?

The real meaning of noob is new to the game and i really think only lvl 1s should be called that :-) But really guys how matue are we to call lower lvls noobs?????

Answer: Not really Mature at all :x


You mean "newb" as in newbie.

Survivor
Aug 25, 2010
44
The word word noob or n00b came from the word...
newb, which came from
newbie, which came from
new boy- someone being new to something

so even though noob has a bad conotation, if you are level 1 through about seven you are in fact, a newbie or, yes..., a noob.

Explorer
Dec 10, 2008
56
This may be off topic a little, and I am guilty of the word noob. I hate whe I call people noobs they say,ooo I have 3 grandmasters. O nice , no life much?
Look at the date I joined the website and tell me I am a noob. I have been on the game longer than almost everyone who plays this game. I know all. Even though I have 1 wizard, I'm proud of it. Remember look at the date I joined!

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
957
Ok, I have been called a Noob so many times, I can't count them all, it's been a lot. In fact, I have even heard variations, like Noob Move, You will always be a Noob, etc, etc, and who cares.

If you ban the word, guess what, another will just take it's place, so banning it is just a waste of time.

People are senstive, and some always will be that way. My brother gets upset if someone picks on his joking in the game. That is just the way he is.

If being called a Noob bothers you, turn off the chat or just close the chat box in PvP. Simple, effective, and the issue is done.

Joe,
Joseph LionHunter.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1623
Rihanna12 wrote:
I'm sure you walk around hearing people saying the word, noob, I hate that word. Did you know: That some people think noobs are dumb people. It's a common misunderstanding. I don't think people should make fun of people at most level 12, because they were one at one point, even I was one (so cute when I was just a little apprentice theurgist), so I think the text chat should block the word, noob, because it's not correctly used, and I don't like it all!

Caroline Sunbright
Grandmaster theugist level 50


Clarification: Noob means new to game. How the other wizards use it doesn't matter. There aren't any other words to express if you're mad at someone. The game doesn't have to be all super happy for everyone. It's in life too, a happy time, and a boring down time. People just have to get over it and deal with it. The people that don't use it correctly probably don't have many friends in life, it's their problem not yours.

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
564
moogirl45 wrote:
Rihanna12 wrote:
I'm sure you walk around hearing people saying the word, noob, I hate that word. Did you know: That some people think noobs are dumb people. It's a common misunderstanding. I don't think people should make fun of people at most level 12, because they were one at one point, even I was one (so cute when I was just a little apprentice theurgist), so I think the text chat should block the word, noob, because it's not correctly used, and I don't like it all!

Caroline Sunbright
Grandmaster theugist level 50

what does that have to do with pvp


That they use it a lot in the arena

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
564
yoyoyo60 wrote:
This may be off topic a little, and I am guilty of the word noob. I hate whe I call people noobs they say,ooo I have 3 grandmasters. O nice , no life much?
Look at the date I joined the website and tell me I am a noob. I have been on the game longer than almost everyone who plays this game. I know all. Even though I have 1 wizard, I'm proud of it. Remember look at the date I joined!


If you look at my join date I joined a couple weeks after you

Survivor
Dec 18, 2009
31
Rihanna12 wrote:
I'm sure you walk around hearing people saying the word, noob, I hate that word. Did you know: That some people think noobs are dumb people. It's a common misunderstanding. I don't think people should make fun of people at most level 12, because they were one at one point, even I was one (so cute when I was just a little apprentice theurgist), so I think the text chat should block the word, noob, because it's not correctly used, and I don't like it all!

Caroline Sunbright
Grandmaster theugist level 50


Who cares if people call you a noob??? Just walk on and show those people that you don't care!!!! Yes, this would help, but this just shows those kind of people that it is getting to you!!! So stop being so "Oh goodness the word noob should be filtered it's so mean" and be tough!

Brianna WildRider.........the awesome soon-to-be tc that just powned you with wise words LOL

jk sorry about "Brianna WildRider.........the awesome soon-to-be tc that just powned you with wise words" but all the other stuff I absolutely meant!!!

Noob................the word that bothered Rihanna12 soooo much that she had to nag about it.......

LOL!!!!